• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Really can't wait to try this out. Gotta wait until I'm back at school, though. On break at my parent's place and the internet is so bad that I can't even connect to Steam, much less play an MMO.

Anyway, I asked before, but it got lost in all the hubbub. Does anyone have any impressions of Tanking with a Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin? Does it use many rogue-ish elements (combos, stealth, etc)? I love the double bladed saber, and I love tanking in WoW, but I really don't like how rogue classes play. So I'm trying to choose between the Guardian/Juggernaut or Shadow/Assassin. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Ken

The Gamestop I go to apparently stopped getting Old Republic discs in and only offers download vouchers. Oh well, guess I can wait a few more weeks to play.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm really on the fence with this game and I don't know if I should get it or not. Can anyone tell me some impressions about this game? Also if they can put it comparison with new recent MMOs.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm really on the fence with this game and I don't know if I should get it or not. Can anyone tell me some impressions about this game? Also if they can put it comparison with new recent MMOs.
its WoW plus Kotor. If you like those two games, you will like this game.

CzarTim

Been staring at the legacy name screen for 20 minutes... no idea what to put.

edit: Oh god, I typed in my companion's last name and it took it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the ios remote desktop app splashtop works decently with this game. Enough to to simple things like crew missions.

(at least on a local connection)

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I need to ask opinions, prices in the auction house(or whatever its called) for the same items seem to be all over the place, how long do you people think ittl take for the server economies to be stable? a few days? couple weeks?
As for me, I'm holding on to most of my scavenged materials so far, and buying up any dirt cheap materials i see on the market in hopes of making moneyz later on.

Hawk269

Has there been any news/progress or tweaks found that improves the loading of ground textures like the plants, grass etc.? That is the only thing visually that hurts the game. You can be walking around and grass etc. is just popping up right in front of you. I already used the .ini tweaks, 8xaa looks fantastic, tried using the farclip command, but it does not do anything to improve it.

I thought in beta there was a slider for this, but with the retail this option is gone. I know there has to be a way to force it, but cannot find out how. Like the AA tweak, there has to be a command that allows it.

Milly79

My comp dips to less than 10 fps while in big indoor areas. Sucks, but luckily a lot of the fighting happens outside. I usually just look straight down at the ground. :lol

satori

Really can't wait to try this out. Gotta wait until I'm back at school, though. On break at my parent's place and the internet is so bad that I can't even connect to Steam, much less play an MMO.

Anyway, I asked before, but it got lost in all the hubbub. Does anyone have any impressions of Tanking with a Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin? Does it use many rogue-ish elements (combos, stealth, etc)? I love the double bladed saber, and I love tanking in WoW, but I really don't like how rogue classes play. So I'm trying to choose between the Guardian/Juggernaut or Shadow/Assassin. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

All the tanks does it very well. Sin tanking which I am btw is very viable. Don't worry sith sin tanks plays nothing like Wow rogues. If I had to compare its more like a cross between pally and druid tanking. Another note is the tanking is funnier and more challenging than aoe spamfest.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I know everyone is out leveling but galactic fleet seems so barren at times and I rarely come across anybody in zones like Tatooine....so empty :(

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So... um... there was a small (but thrilling) story quest right before hitting Tattoine with my Jedi Knight.

I received a red-crystal lightsaber. It says it's forbidden for Light I and above. Well, I'm Light II and can equip and use it! So right now I'm rocking a blue and a red saber.

Glitch? Or does this particular saber let you use it even when you're lightside? Either way, it's freaking awesome.

EDIT for pic:

6552716507_d3d1f8db7c_z.jpg

mik83kuu

Banned
This game. God damn I'm loving this game.

I regret that I was so much against it just a week before and I absolutely hated the fact that it was being released. I was so childish and stupid.

Level 20 BH and got my ship just now.

I. Love. This. Game.

Hawk269

Well according to UPS, I will be getting my Razer Star Wars Mouse tomorrow. It apparently comes with a "crystal" like the pre-order one, but have not found out which color it will be. Basically the mouse is the Naga that everyone is ranting over, but with Star Wars theme and $10.00 more expensive.

Since this is my first Razer mouse, can any Naga owners comment on how easy it is to set up and configure the buttons with the game?

I will post impressions of the mouse after I mess around with it for a while.

Hit 300 Biochem today, grinding my way to some purples for the stims/adrenals. Already got a purple medpac, those things are epic, a big heal always there for you when shit hits the fan.

Can implants purple? I've been trying all day to do it, with just no luck. Though I've gotten ton of augmentable blues

Since this is my first Razer mouse, can any Naga owners comment on how easy it is to set up and configure the buttons with the game?

I will post impressions of the mouse after I mess around with it for a while.
It's a pretty easy process, just gotta install the software to setup macros if you so wish. It'll also apply the macrosets for the buttons to certain programs/games. So say I have a browsing button setup and one for SWTOR.

Had no issues using it with SWTOR, just choose the button combo I want to execute the ability, and it's done. I've yet to come up with macros for the game, don't see a need to just yet, nor do I know where to start.

I'm starting to think grim and baring the queues on ToFD was worth the pain... it's never quiet and now they've raised the caps a bit the queues ain't so bad.

It's only going to be this bad for a little while, in the scheme of things. If you continue playing, I'm sure you won't regret being on a highly populated server rather than a barren one.

Dead servers are the bane of MMOs. Especially with so much instancing going on in SWTOR anyway, the more people the better.

SUPARSTARX

I want to see some good high res screenshots with full settings and no jaggies!

I sort of want to pick this up but I did the 1 year WoW thing and I'm not sure how much time I would be able to put into another MMO on the side.

sangreal

So... um... there was a small (but thrilling) story quest right before hitting Tattoine with my Jedi Knight.

I received a red-crystal lightsaber. It says it's forbidden for Light I and above. Well, I'm Light II and can equip and use it! So right now I'm rocking a blue and a red saber.

Glitch? Or does this particular saber let you use it even when you're lightside? Either way, it's freaking awesome.

EDIT for pic:

6552716507_d3d1f8db7c_z.jpg

I don't know, but I was in a warzone earlier with a sith who had a blue lightsaber. I figured he was light side, but when I expected it, the lightsaber was modded with a blue crystal but the saber itself said it required dark. I wonder what happens if you have opposing mods?

Killer

Banned
EA apparently doesnt need my money. i boot up Origin trying to buy it and i receive "PRODUCT NO LONGER AVAILABLE" and on their website it is sold out. how the hell you sold out on digital store? this is the dumbest shit ever.

Symphonic

EA apparently doesnt need my money. i boot up Origin trying to buy it and i receive "PRODUCT NO LONGER AVAILABLE" and on their website it is sold out. how the hell you sold out on digital store? this is the dumbest shit ever.

Forced demand? I remember EA announced limited digital copies a while before launch and that created a large "wtf".

Tacitus_

A good idea for macros is mapping a buff cooldown (that doesn't have a GCD) and the ability you want to use after the CD. BAM, instant death and destruction.

Retrofluxed

Ran my first two heroic Flashpoints tonight. Black Talon was pretty easy. Every boss dropped an epic, and the last boss (the Jedi chick) dropped boots, a bracer token for Columi gear for me! and a pattern. We then tired Boarding Party and killed every boss until the last. The captain with two adds whooped our butts. Looks like we'll have to farm BT and the first couple of bosses for a little while until we can progress further (or finally get enough 50s to start operations).

I thought they were limiting copies they sell on origin to keep server populations steady and even as they roll out in the first few days. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Moaradin

Ran my first two heroic Flashpoints tonight. Black Talon was pretty easy. Every boss dropped an epic, and the last boss (the Jedi chick) dropped boots, a bracer token for Columi gear for me! and a pattern. We then tired Boarding Party and killed every boss until the last. The captain with two adds whooped our butts. Looks like we'll have to farm BT and the first couple of bosses for a little while until we can progress further (or finally get enough 50s to start operations).

woah, so the heroic flashpoints are tiered? That excites me.

Top Bottom