• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

So like, what's a good video card for this under $150? I had to fucking play part of the inside of some cave in 800x600 tonight just to get more than 10fps for CCing elites.

Ketch

Not sure if you all have seen this but GiantBomb just put up an interview with the lead writer (can't remember his name)... It's pretty much a PR puff piece, but he did talk about the design intent behind the instancing and also light/dark side points when it comes to role playing your character and min maxing your stats.

I follow Giant Bomb's stuff quite I bit and was a little disappointing that they didn't ask some harder questions after hearing their concerns on previous videos and podcasts.

Here's the link: http://www.giantbomb.com/old-republic-new-interview/17-5441/

hamchan

So I'm on the Imperial Fleet now and I see a crapload of GAF Empire members around. Can someone invite me to the guild? Character name is Hamchana.

Oh maintenance soon anyways. I'll try getting in after then.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
I want to see some good high res screenshots with full settings and no jaggies!

I sort of want to pick this up but I did the 1 year WoW thing and I'm not sure how much time I would be able to put into another MMO on the side.
aQuYV.jpg

Not the best compression for the image unfortunately and a bit blurry from the 2x SGAA+FXAA I forced, but here's a BH i'm running on a PVP server with full settings.

What's the difference between pvp and pve servers? I'd love to roll with GAF but I've almost always rolled on pvp servers for my MMOs (I love non-instanced pvp).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hey, someone posted a pic of an IA wearing some classy Imperial Uniform. Anyone know where it is?

Not quite the same, but I got something official-ish looking from a drop in the Hammer Station flashpoint I think. No logo on the side of the upper arm, but it had a rank insignia on the chest.

Kettch

I'm new to MMOs, so this is my first time seeing this recurring subscription crap. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to sign up for it when your time is out, get charged and then cancel it? I'm not fond of having them store my information/automatically bill every X days. Or would my only option be getting time cards instead? I mean, obviously you can cancel, but I'd like to get removed entirely after.

Tacitus_

I'm new to MMOs, so this is my first time seeing this recurring subscription crap. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to sign up for it when your time is out, get charged and then cancel it? I'm not fond of having them store my information/automatically bill every X days. Or would my only option be getting time cards instead? I mean, obviously you can cancel, but I'd like to get removed entirely after.

Yes you should be able to cancel your recurring payment for your subscription as soon as you get billed for the month/whatever time period you bought.

gatti-man

I want to see some good high res screenshots with full settings and no jaggies!

I sort of want to pick this up but I did the 1 year WoW thing and I'm not sure how much time I would be able to put into another MMO on the side.

I can email you a 2560x1600 pic fully maxed out but im not hosting it. just pm me your email.

Dina

Don't know if this was posted, but here is a working method of getting Fullscreen-Windowed to work. What it used to do was run it windowed, but have every other alt-tab thing spring up BEHIND the game. Here goes:

1. Put it on windowed.
2. Maximize the screen by clicking on the middle windows maximize button
3. Put it on fullscreen windowed.
4. Done.

Sullen

Pacific servers down at midnight, really? How bizarre. Hopefully at some point they will start taking servers down according to their home timezone locations time.

Alex

Bounty Hunter is really fun to tank on so far. I haven't really enjoyed tanking in an MMO since probably Paladin in early Final Fantasy XI. Feels very involved but not so rigid, I think someone actually just said that. :lol

bjb

Banned
Sith Marauder absolutely blows. Especially in comparison to other classes. Despite all the whining on the forums, I switched specs to Rage earlier tonight via someone's theorycrafting - seems to be a lot better.

Especially for questing and AoE damage.

Hey guys, so I was able to convince my brother to give this a try. He's wanting to play a melee class that can do excel in single and multitarget encounters. What class would you guys suggest (Empire side)?

bjb

Banned
Hey guys, so I was able to convince my brother to give this a try. He's wanting to play a melee class that can do excel in single and multitarget encounters. What class would you guys suggest (Empire side)?

I would say Assassin (Inquistor).

Otherwise go Bounty Hunter if you want to faceroll everything.

jersoc

bah, their maintenance time sucks. right when i get home from work always. at least put a message up earlier in the day so i know to do my daily quests before work.

Carm

Man, I shouldn't have raided in WoW earlier tonight, I think I'm close to finishing Act 1 on my Sith Warrior. I was about to enter the house after dealing with
General Organa and her lover
on Alderaan.

I was on Tatooine forever it felt like, so I rushed and only did the class story on Alderaan. Hopefully that won't screw anything up.

Hopefully Fed ex drops off my CE early, says by 4:30 though. =/

This pretty much sums up my experience thus far:
oZt5a.jpg

Wallach

Just wrapping up Tatooine's bonus series at 32. I'm still really enjoying the questing setup they have, it is a lot more entertaining than I expected.

Getting Emergency Medpac was pretty much exactly as awesome as I expected. It also made PvP healing a lot more bearable; in the low 20s I did some warzones and I have to say it did not leave a good impression. PvP healing in this game does not feel right at all in the lower levels. Part of that is the bolster mechanic, which is really lopsided to benefit damage rather than healing, so if you have a high level in the warzone bolstering everyone you feel pretty shitty trying to heal at that level. They really need to draw down the core healing skills so that you get more of them earlier.

On a random side note, the last Smuggler story quest on Tatooine is pretty fucking hard outta nowhere, so be ready for that shit. I think it is marked level 27 solo, and I barely scraped through it at 30. Great arc though, with at least one part that actually made me laugh out loud.

Well according to UPS, I will be getting my Razer Star Wars Mouse tomorrow. It apparently comes with a "crystal" like the pre-order one, but have not found out which color it will be. Basically the mouse is the Naga that everyone is ranting over, but with Star Wars theme and $10.00 more expensive.

Since this is my first Razer mouse, can any Naga owners comment on how easy it is to set up and configure the buttons with the game?

I will post impressions of the mouse after I mess around with it for a while.
The crystal color is basically the same as the pre-order crystal but green instead of yellow.

KorrZ

RUZ0B.jpg

My 25 Sith Assassin. Still in love with the game, Tat is pretty empty so far, only about 30-40 people so far, at least I can slack a bit and still be ahead of most people for awhile.

Not shown: My bad ass dark side evil eyes.

zugzug

Well according to UPS, I will be getting my Razer Star Wars Mouse tomorrow. It apparently comes with a "crystal" like the pre-order one, but have not found out which color it will be. Basically the mouse is the Naga that everyone is ranting over, but with Star Wars theme and $10.00 more expensive

So someone correct me isn't the game client only supporting 5 button mice atm. Did you buy your Razer for naught?

Worst mistake was rolling in Pokket's guild and being stuck on Swiftsure server. I really really like my lvl 28 Jedi Consular but those server queues are making me hate the server. I've rerolled 3 characters all on different servers. I got a Sith Juggernaut lvl 12 and a Lightside imperial Agent lvl 13 and a darkside Imperial Agent now lvl 6.

Wallach

So someone correct me isn't the game client only supporting 5 button mice atm. Did you buy your Razer for naught?

Worst mistake was rolling in Pokket's guild and being stuck on Swiftsure server. I really really like my lvl 28 Jedi Consular but those server queues are making me hate the server. I've rerolled 3 characters all on different servers. I got a Sith Juggernaut lvl 12 and a Lightside imperial Agent lvl 13 and a darkside Imperial Agent now lvl 6.

Why would you ever roll on a server with her? Her stream is so lame.

I got banned from her stream chat for making a joke that was so perfectly set up I assumed it was divine intervention. None of the moderators for her channel have any sense of humor.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Holy crap. Just did a Hammer Station run. Got the message that server was coming down in 15 mins just as we got to the first boss. Ran through as fast as we could. 10 mins....5 mins.....killed the last boss with literally 1 min left. Made the whole instance that much more intense lol.

bjb

Banned
Isn't Pokket that weird emo girl from youtube?

Anyway, love it when I found an epic slicing mission, and sent Vette to complete it, only to come back as being failed.

sangreal

Ugh. Lost power 5 min before servers went down (boo maint.). Was just turning in a quest real quick before taking the shuttle back to the fleet for some much needed rest xp. Didn't get to ship off my companions for a last round either.

Speaking of, one just returned with a critical success which I didn't have inventory space for. I'll be pretty pissed if the servers come back up and my reward isn't pending anymore.

Sullen

Are there any good guides out there for the professions? Having a hard time understanding how they work as you don't get much of an explanation when you pick them up. I got: Artifice, with Archaeology and Treasure Hunting.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Are there any good guides out there for the professions? Having a hard time understanding how they work as you don't get much of an explanation when you pick them up. I got: Artifice, with Archaeology and Treasure Hunting.

It's pretty straight forward. Send companions on missions for treasure hunting and archaeology, then build in artifice with the materials gathered from the other two

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I had that same setup, and it's a fine setup for sure.

But take the advice of others - flip treasure hunting for slicing for the time being. It's seriously just free money. I was level 19 yesterday morning, with less than $5K in credits, wondering how I'd ever be able to afford speeder training. I switched to slicing, and tonight I purchased my speeder training for $40K in credits, and I have about $70K left over.

It's unquestionably going to get nerfed. And soon. It'll probably be in one of the first updates, I'd imagine... so save up while you can, and enjoy having a good stake in the server's economy before other people can't.

I've been playing my Bounty Hunter and I'm really loving it. I'm almost done with Dromond Kaas on it now. I really like their heavy armor. I hope I can get some orange Bobba Fett and Storm Trooper armor somewhere down the line. It would be so awesome to run around in Storm trooper gear.

Sullen

I had that same setup, and it's a fine setup for sure.

But take the advice of others - flip treasure hunting for slicing for the time being. It's seriously just free money. I was level 19 yesterday morning, with less than $5K in credits, wondering how I'd ever be able to afford speeder training. I switched to slicing, and tonight I purchased my speeder training for $40K in credits, and I have about $70K left over.

It's unquestionably going to get nerfed. And soon. It'll probably be in one of the first updates, I'd imagine... so save up while you can, and enjoy having a good stake in the server's economy before other people can't.

That sounds like a good idea. Any particular strategy with slicing I should be aware of? And how do I drop a profession for that matter?

Izayoi

Banned
Bu-bu-bu WoW with lightsabers something something...
Let's not kid ourselves here. It's definitely a WoW themepark, albeit a very polished one.

Level 27, almost 28 with just over a day of /played. Seems like a pretty fast road to cap. I really like the Commando, not sure what class I'll be bringing up next.

Top Bottom