• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

JWong

Banned
Yeah I'm not high enough to have put the sunder talents from the other tree in. I've gone 2 into sweep, 2 into sunder, 1 into the leap talent, and 1 into the 2% defense increase in soresu or whatever. What's combat focus? I don't think I have that yet (lvl 15).

The thing that generates 6 focus. You don't have it yet.

Comes at level 22.

border

Not really. Most the ingame items are not worth taking out of your mailbox. The mount is cool, but it just saves you an insignificant 8k credits and only lasts 15 levels.

Is it seriously all that underwhelming? I may just settle for the Digital Deluxe version + hardcover strategy guide.

Is there a detailed listing of all the in-game perks? As in, exactly what the items are and what they do....

I think the prestige and value associated with the CE in-game stuff will do a lot to determine how much it's worth. Are people seeing a lot of Mouse Droids?

DrBo42

So can anyone comment on how in-depth group combat is later on? At the moment it's just a run in and flail fest. If someone could give details or examples, it would be great.

Is it seriously all that underwhelming? I may just settle for the Digital Deluxe version + hardcover strategy guide.

Is there a detailed listing of all the in-game perks? As in, exactly what the items are and what they do....

I think the prestige and value associated with the CE in-game stuff will do a lot to determine how much it's worth. Are people seeing a lot of Mouse Droids?
There really is no reason to buy a strategy guide for a MMO, seeing as how fast they change with patches and fixes and other changes.

The mouse droid... I dunno. It's just there and it looks cheap to me. The flare gun is worthless, the holo dancer is worthless, not sure how good the vendor is yet.

td_rules

Neo Member
Went through the whole process of adding a mobile authenticator to my account, found out there is a vendor in game ("Security Key Vendor") exclusively for authenticated players, and I go to it and it says I can't buy stuff from there.

Has anyone else encountered this, not sure if it's because I'm using the mobile version rather than shelling out on a physical one.

http://i.imgur.com/JWPe1.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
There really is no reason to buy a strategy guide for a MMO, seeing as how fast they change with patches and fixes and other changes.

This one is pretty much just maps and a basic class breakdown too. I would disagree if it got more into advanced classes / strategies / PvP stuff etc / datacron guides, but I think that type of guide would be way beyond the standard strategy guide in terms of length and size

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I have not played any games on my PC in years and was wondering if this would run ok on a AMD X2 4600+, GeForce 7600 GT and 2 gigs of memory?
Nope

I have a dual 2.8 CPU, radeon 3800 (going to upgrade soon though) and 8 gb ram and run everything on low. Your system would have trouble with just that.

Any sale info predictions? Saw one analyst claim that there was already 1.5 mil in just Early access. There was claims of 2 mil preorders (source?) Wonder what this can do

border

I think it'd be nice to sit down and just get a general overview in a nice format. Something to tell me about how the stats work and the various class abilities and the areas and the professions. Not expecting to keep me completely up-to-date.

Hawk269

Any sale info predictions? Saw one analyst claim that there was already 1.5 mil in just Early access. There was claims of 2 mil preorders (source?) Wonder what this can do

I know my local Gamestop had about 200 preorders. The manager told me that alot of them, almost half were reserved in the last week or so. So it may be a word of mouth that drove more people to do a quick pre-order. He did say that he had 36 CE's, 35 were reservered. Funny enough, my friend went to pick his normal copy and they asked if wanted to upgrade cause they had the 1 extra...he broke and bought it...lol

Carm

So, my CE still hasn't shipped from Wal-Mart, but figured out why. The order was canceled on their end while ago but the order was still showing processing. But as I was speaking to cs, the CE popped back up on the website and reordered. Should be here by Sat so looks like I'll be going dark for a day or two.

I wish the game didn't run so bad in some places, I was down to mid/low 20s doing some quests late in Nar Shaddaa. Changing any setting, even putting the resolution down to 800x600, fps never increased, very strange. Won't be able to upgrade the comp till '13, though there is no reason I should be getting this bad of fps with my current system. I don't expect to be raiding in this condition but will play for the sp focus.

Here is a really crappy stretched screenshot of the spot. No players near me at all, maybe 8ish npcs.

Here

Also, they really need a way to cap the fps below refresh rate in the INI, it's very jarring with the fps jumping from 60 to 30 all the time.

ksimm

Has anybody come up with any tips or tricks to even out the frame rate? Or just generally more efficient settings?

For me shadows made my frame rate suck balls. So I run everything else on high and turn blobshadows on. I get 60fps with 8xMSAA and vsync on running through D3Doverider.
Oh and I have to force AA through Catalyst instead of via the ini, Grrrr AMD GRRRR.

My config -

[Renderer]
D3DFullScreen = false
Height = 1050
NativeHeight = 1050
NativeWidth = 1680
TextureAnisotropy = 16
Width = 1680
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
MeshLODQuality = 1
VerticalSyncState = false
EnableBloom = true
TextureQuality = 0
UseMinSpecShaders = false
doShadows = false
PlantDensity = 50
FullScreen = true
doBlobShadows = true
AllowDepthOfField = true
enableadvenvirolighting = true
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true
DynamicLightsLimit = 4

[Game]
MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies
SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I've just got my Agent advance career at the moment. My god, this game is brilliant. The story/cinematic presentation really makes me immersed thanks to the solid voice work. Definitely one of Bioware's best games. I'm loving it so much <3

Went through the whole process of adding a mobile authenticator to my account, found out there is a vendor in game ("Security Key Vendor") exclusively for authenticated players, and I go to it and it says I can't buy stuff from there.

Has anyone else encountered this, not sure if it's because I'm using the mobile version rather than shelling out on a physical one.

http://i.imgur.com/JWPe1.jpg

I registered my account on the 16th and authenticated with the mobile on the same day with no problems. Might wanna check their forums and see if anyone has any better feedback. If not... it sounds like ticket time.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

And the accompanying news post:

I quit playing the Star Wars Beta months ago because I didn’t want to spoil the game for myself. I think that statement alone says a lot about the sort of MMO Star Wars is. Now that the game has launched Kara and I have jumped back in and we’re having a great time. We have not experienced any of the long queue times or crazy lag that so many people seem to be complaining about. I understand that there are plenty of people having technical issues with the game but I can’t speak to that.

I’m playing a different class than I did in the beta and so I’m getting a brand new experience. I’m just amazed at the quality of the class specific story-lines. The mission objectives and dialog choices really help you develop a character and not just an avatar. I mentioned this when I talked about the Beta a while ago and to me it really is the defining difference between SW:TOR and other MMO’s. While playing last night with Scott he explained that his bounty hunter was all about completing her contracts and getting credits. She didn’t let her feelings get in the way of the job. He was thinking about this before his character was even level 10. I’d be very surprised if he had any idea what sort of “person” his Troll Shaman was in WOW.

Kara is playing a Sith Inquisitor. A couple nights ago she was complaining that being bad was difficult and she was struggling with some of the dialog options. Last night she was volunteering to help torture people and was actually pissed when we accidentally gained light side points. Bioware has always done an incredible job of putting you in your character’s shoes and making you care about them. The fact that they have managed to transfer that into the MMO space is a fucking triumph in my opinion.

DrBo42

Yeah. I mean the the setting really, not the game itself. It doesn't look like it is doing anything that different from Warcraft, but the setting will draw lots of people in no doubt.

It still feels pretty different to me. I've yet to feel like I'm grinding levels, unlike WoW. Combat feels more satisfying. I dunno man, I feel like I'm accomplishing something on each planet. Only felt like I was accomplishing something in WoW in the raid setting.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
And the accompanying news post:

Damn bang on point. Bioware has done an amazing choice on feeling for your character and the choices you are doing in the game. This game actually does what I always wanted to do than in past MMOs with its core universe. Role play my character and see the effects around me with great impact.

rpg_poser

From an e-mail received from a friend this morning:

"I just got the game and will install tonight. I will try some server as another friend suggested. We can still do solo content on a PvP server right?

Funny story, as I was standing in the checkout line at the store I was joined by 4 middle aged over weight men and one lady of similar look. They were all sporting cloaks and light sabers - Jedi Knights I suspect. I listened in to their conversations which centered around how joining the "good" side obviously will give them the edge because the developers would have taken into account that good always triumphs over evil. So if the programming is true to the storyline, they will win in all pvp battles. That coupled with the fact that Jedi Knights have vastly superior abilities to every other class.

They gave me a odd look when I got the game in hand and departed with a "See you in the battlegrounds."

Stuff in Italics - personal info edited out.

TimeKillr

The one thing I don't like about the light/dark system is that some gear is light or dark-specific, and if you're doing a flashpoint and lose a roll where you have to pick light or dark, you have no say.

So if you're building someone to be pure light and you get in a flashpoint and someone picks dark, BAM, you get dark points (which, incidentally, lowers your light points :( )

The one thing I don't like about the light/dark system is that some gear is light or dark-specific, and if you're doing a flashpoint and lose a roll where you have to pick light or dark, you have no say.

So if you're building someone to be pure light and you get in a flashpoint and someone picks dark, BAM, you get dark points (which, incidentally, lowers your light points :( )

It doesn't work like that at all. In a flashpoint conversation if you choose light side and the winner of the role chose dark side choice, you still get your light side points.

I don't think you actually get those points if you didn't chose it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn bang on point. Bioware has done an amazing choice on feeling for your character and the choices you are doing in the game. This game actually does what I always wanted to do than in past MMOs with its core universe. Role play my character and see the effects around me with great impact.

I've only had a chance to play for an hour, but the cutscenes and voice acting really do add a lot. That's to say, the game would be pretty shit boring without them.

However, I still kind of fail to see the reason that this is an MMORPG other than that EA wanted a game with a subscription. The way it's set up makes it seem a lot more like Guild Wars, and well, Guild Wars doesn't charge a monthly subscription for a reason.

I love the story stuff, but it's all done in a single-player context.

I find it strange that MMORPGs are moving more and more toward a focus on single-player content and further away from any meaningful player interaction and community elements. I plan to enjoy my time in SWTOR, but it's existence as an MMORPG confuses me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

You get the points you actually chose. Whatever plays out in the cutscene is separate.

Meh. There's an option you can enable that will tell you in advance if you'll get light or dark points

Kinda missed the point there. I've made one light side choice so far in the game the rest were all dark because I want to go all dark, that's my character, he's evil. But the reward/quest outcome that one light side choice gave was so good I couldn't resist it. You care about your character in this game, and the struggle to live up to their personality/story and the rewards/outcome of your choices can weigh heavily on your decisions.

I've only had a chance to play for an hour, but the cutscenes and voice acting really do add a lot. That's to say, the game would be pretty shit boring without them.

However, I still kind of fail to see the reason that this is an MMORPG other than that EA wanted a game with a subscription. The way it's set up makes it seem a lot more like Guild Wars, and well, Guild Wars doesn't charge a monthly subscription for a reason.

I find it strange that MMORPGs are moving more and more toward a focus on single-player content and further away from any meaningful player interaction and community elements. I plan to enjoy my time in SWTOR, but it's existence as an MMORPG confuses me.

Part of me feels like the single player aspect is the result of Bioware being bioware, and like you said, EA wanting something with a subscription.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Also, you can just hit escape during the conversation and redo it, so you get the points you want. I've done this a couple times with regards to companions points, but I've even stopped worrying about that.

For me shadows made my frame rate suck balls. So I run everything else on high and turn blobshadows on. I get 60fps with 8xMSAA and vsync on running through D3Doverider.
Oh and I have to force AA through Catalyst instead of via the ini, Grrrr AMD GRRRR.

My config -

[Renderer]
D3DFullScreen = false
Height = 1050
NativeHeight = 1050
NativeWidth = 1680
TextureAnisotropy = 16
Width = 1680
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
MeshLODQuality = 1
VerticalSyncState = false
EnableBloom = true
TextureQuality = 0
UseMinSpecShaders = false
doShadows = false
PlantDensity = 50
FullScreen = true
doBlobShadows = true
AllowDepthOfField = true
enableadvenvirolighting = true
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true
DynamicLightsLimit = 4

[Game]
MoviesFolder = ..\..\Movies
SwtorRegKey = SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

What are blobshadows?

I like the shadows on buildings and things like that. DOn't really care about the ones the characters make.

Venfayth

Did you click the wrong option or did you not realize it was an evil choice?

I didn't know it as an evil choice. It was some quest regarding some corrupt senator, and I was kinda breezing through, and I didn't realize I chose the option that let him keep corrupt money or something like that.

Your fine. Relax

Yeah, I know it's an overreaction, just feels really shitty looking at my character sheet and seeing 2100 light and 100 dark instead of 0 dark :/

Also, you can just hit escape during the conversation and redo it, so you get the points you want. I've done this a couple times with regards to companions points, but I've even stopped worrying about that.

I didn't know that ;_; It hurts now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

That kind of invalidates the rest of your post. All MMOs start with easy solo content for the first few levels so that you learn the basic game mechanics. Grouping in this game is very rewarding if just for the conversations alone, even with random quest NPCs, since you never know how a conversation is going to go because you don't control what other people are picking for dialogue. My girlfriend is always laughing at the cocky/stupid shit my smuggler says during conversations.

We've also done the first Flashpoint and got into a group of 24 strangers to take down the world boss on Coruscant and it was a lot of fun. We wiped 3 times before we developed the right strategy and finally took him down.

Now that we're in a guild you get people running around helping others find hard to reach Datacrons (I'm looking at you Taris) and exchange materials/schematics/equipment. You don't get that sense of community in a single player games.

I think Bioware has done a great job making your personal story feel important in a massive multiplayer setting. I'm liking the game WAY more than I thought I would.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah, I know it's an overreaction, just feels really shitty looking at my character sheet and seeing 2100 light and 100 dark instead of 0 dark :/

You'll get rid of that eventually. Once you reach max points with one side, any new points you get will start subtracting from the opposing side.

Top Bottom