• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

oneils

Yes, that is what i mean, but i think something is wrong, this..
has been going on for like 10 minutes now

I don't think you can set up your game account during maintenance. I think there was an Alert to this effect last night when I was downloading it.

SLV

I don't think you can set up your game account during maintenance. I think there was an Alert to this effect last night when I was downloading it.

Yeah, now that you said it, although when i tried to log in to the game client, it said that i need to make a subscription, so i presumed the maintenance was over.

oneils

Yeah, now that you said it, although when i tried to log in to the game client, it said that i need to make a subscription, so i presumed the maintenance was over.

It looks like maintenance is over now. I just checked the website and it seems to back up. So hopefully you will have better luck now.

edit: found some info related to account set-up. Looks like you can expect delays as bioware expects heavy load today as people rush to create their accounts.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/get-ready-play-activate-your-account

SLV

It looks like maintenance is over now. I just checked the website and it seems to back up. So hopefully you will have better luck now.

The website is being hammered now though, as many people need to do this now i guess.

n9ufv.jpg

yeah...
this happens when i try to subscribe :p

Oh god, just let me play >.<, this has been thought out and implemented so poorly.

hamchan

Now that the servers are back can someone invite me to the Empire guild on Keller's Void? Character name is Hamchana. I also posted this on the guild forum for some reason.

SLV

Um now I have no active sub? but when I log into the site I have 27 days of playtime left?

Seams that they feel insecure or something, i have the same problem now, i would love to subscribe in order to play, but i cant even to that at the moment ...
If only i had known that i can't play without a subscription, i would have done it yesterday, before all this crap

oneils

Um now I have no active sub? but when I log into the site I have 27 days of playtime left?

The game comes with 30 days of play time. But you need to subscribe to create the account, first. You can cancel the subscription after the account is created. If you have cancelled the subscription, then I'm guessing what you are seeing is the time remaining of your 30 free days.

edit: oh, looks like some of you have not even subbed?

edit2: oh, and when I created the account on the day I bought the game (yesterday) I noticed that my account said I have 29 days left. Almost as if they were counting from launch day and not from the day I created the subscription. Lol, what happens to people who buy the game on Jan 5th? They only get 15 free days? I'm guessing it is an error.

SLV

edit: oh, looks like some of you have not even subbed?

If i had known that the game would be set up like that, i would had subscribed earlier >_>
Just my stupid presumptions of other MMO's

EDIT: Ugh, the site is getting murdered, i was hoping to beat the queues, but fuck this, off to play something else, and then the unavoidable queue in some hours.

oneils

If i had known that the game would be set up like that, i would had subscribed earlier >_>
Just my stupid presumptions of other MMO's

Yeah, it caught me off guard, too. I found it pretty dumb. Not sure why a subscription is required for an account. Trying to snare us, I guess.

Ardenyal

Havent played one in a couple years but I don't remember it preventing me from playing the game if I didn't have a credit card attached to my account. I have game time on my account so I should be able to play as I see fit.

Dina

Darn it, I forgot that the grace period has ended but now the website has a queue when I want to add my subscription.

Patryn

The worst part of this website queue is that you have no idea where you are in it.

And the game couldn't have alerted me that my subscription wasn't "live"?

I just wanted to get in 20 minutes before I had to go to work!

In every subscription based mmo I have played you put in your subscription payment at the end of the free 30 day month, not in the beginning, and now the site is hammered so hard it looks like most wont be able to put in a sub any time soon.

In every subscription based mmo I have played you put in your subscription payment at the end of the free 30 day month, not in the beginning, and now the site is hammered so hard it looks like most wont be able to put in a sub any time soon.

You must be playing lot of different MMOs from the rest of us. Most require a card to be put on file for the first free month.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This is stupid, got play time but can't log in. If they wanted a active sub they should have done it when we had to put the key in like every other game.

get on the site hit login back to waiting wtf!

Sethos

Banned
Okay, I know this may sound silly but can someone tell me about the progression in this game? Basically I haven't read that much on the game, played the Beta for just a few hours which didn't really get me anywhere and I recently bought it on a whim because a mate wanted me in on it.

Do you just do linear planet jumps as you progress and level up, is there any sandbox feeling to location, where does space combat come in and what are the awesome elements? Any major battles over territory, orbit bombing of PvP areas, massive PvE attacks with Republics vs Empire. What about houses or social elements? Something that makes this game stand out from the same ole' MMO progression of grinding and dungeons.

Kettch

This is stupid, got play time but can't log in. If they wanted a active sub they should have done it when we had to put the key in like every other game.

get on the site hit login back to waiting wtf!

Just wait until you get to the Purchase Error page. Doesn't look like it's possible to subscribe at the moment.

Okay, I know this may sound silly but can someone tell me about the progression in this game? Basically I haven't read that much one the game, played the Beta for just a few hours which didn't really get me anywhere and I recently bought it on a whim because a mate wanted me in on it.

Do you just do linear planet jumps as you progress and level up, is there any sandbox feeling to location, where does space combat come in and what are the awesome elements? Any major battles over territory, orbit bombing of PvP areas, massive PvE attacks with Republics vs Empire. What about houses or social elements? Something that makes this game stand out from the same ole' MMO progression of grinding and dungeons.

The game opens up to let you go where you want once you get past your second planet in your story line (the faction Capital). Each planet has a lvl range listed, for example on Empire side you are told to go to Balmorra or Nar Shadda. Depending on how high your level is if you did most of the quests on Dromund Kas, you could choose to go to either really, though Balmorra would be better suited in many cases. For the most part it's not extremely grindy game especially if you mix it up between activities like PVP and the Space mini game. You can essentially go where you want but the level ranges of enemies will limit where you go. Game though has an abundance of quests for the most part and you will often find yourself able to just skip lot of it if you want, especially if your doing group content like Heroic areas that really can grind up some big xp but find they are completely optional for progression. Right now even though I skip quests, I am higher level than the ranges of most quests.

Space combat opens up as soon as you get your ship. You are given quests like any other that can be repeated daily. You just go to the galactic map and choose the battle from the map and do it. You get about 10k xp for space battles so early on you can really rack up some major jumps in level.

PVP is instanced battlegrounds like other MMOs until you get really high leveled and near end game where the more open world pvp areas are found. Illum is the pvp planet that is open and has stuff like vehicles, npcs, etc involved also. And Tatooine there is another open pvp area that is a free for all zone with high lvl resource nodes and unique vendor that players can fight over

markatisu

You must be playing lot of different MMOs from the rest of us. Most require a card to be put on file for the first free month.

Exactly I am so tired of hearing these miracle stories of people not putting in a cc when I had to do it WoW, Conan, Star Trek and DC Online ... Which all came with 30 days free

They are not charging these people, it's just to have a valid card on file in case you don't get a time card you can keep playing

mxgt

Banned
oh cool now I can subscribe just as I'm heading to bed.

why couldn't this work 2 hours ago so I could play a bit ;_;

mmo's are a nightmare at launch

Sethos

Banned
The game opens up to let you go where you want once you get past your second planet in your story line (the faction Capital). Each planet has a lvl range listed, for example on Empire side you are told to go to Balmorra or Nar Shadda. Depending on how high your level is if you did most of the quests on Dromund Kas, you could choose to go to either really, though Balmorra would be better suited in many cases. For the most part it's not extremely grindy game especially if you mix it up between activities like PVP and the Space mini game. You can essentially go where you want but the level ranges of enemies will limit where you go. Game though has an abundance of quests for the most part and you will often find yourself able to just skip lot of it if you want, especially if your doing group content like Heroic areas that really can grind up some big xp but find they are completely optional for progression. Right now even though I skip quests, I am higher level than the ranges of most quests.

Space combat opens up as soon as you get your ship. You are given quests like any other that can be repeated daily. You just go to the galactic map and choose the battle from the map and do it. You get about 10k xp for space battles so early on you can really rack up some major jumps in level.

PVP is instanced battlegrounds like other MMOs until you get really high leveled and near end game where the more open world pvp areas are found.

Sweet, thanks for the reply.

Are there any dynamics in the PvP element - Like Warhammer: Online. Taking over territories, towns or something like that? Would be really nice to do planetary PvP where the goal is to take over and drive the enemy from the place. Oh I'm dreaming here.

Also, me and my friend were curious, is it possible to talk to the opposite faction in /say for an example? Considering both sides can be the same race, we just thought it would be possible.

Dunlop

is this just to put the product code?

I entered mine a couple of days ago but I have not chosen my subscription method, figured I would take care of that in january

Sweet, thanks for the reply.

Are there any dynamics in the PvP element - Like Warhammer: Online. Taking over territories, towns or something like that? Would be really nice to do planetary PvP where the goal is to take over and drive the enemy from the place. Oh I'm dreaming here.

Also, me and my friend were curious, is it possible to talk to the opposite faction in /say for an example? Considering both sides can be the same race, we just thought it would be possible.

Illum has some control elements from what I understand but haven't really put much time into looking at it as its basically end game territory it seems.

You can talk to other faction through /say

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
When you finally get in and put in your info, you get a order process window that goes no where lol

Fuck it, had a few kills from 35 last night figure I'd lvl up this morning. Had 2 hours before I had to go out, spent the entire time waiting for webpages to load and got no where. Hopefully it works this afternoon.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Servers are standard MMO fare of pve, pvp, and RP variants

Forgive my ignorance, but my only experience with MMO was Warcraft for about 3 months. I grew tired of getting killed by random people in the wild on a pvp server, but I was told back then that pve servers are boring. Reading this thread, it sounded like there was a blend of both on the servers. Confusing to me, it is.

Sethos

Banned
Oh another question, does the story actually evolve when it comes to your progression? Like, from training, to a student and all the way up to a mighty sith lord or is it only at the beginning and then it's just a bunch of random people you do chores for? Does the end-game quests actually involve you becoming that all-powerful thing they kinda set you up as or does that die down.

Forgive my ignorance, but my only experience with MMO was Warcraft for about 3 months. I grew tired of getting killed by random people in the wild on a pvp server, but I was told back then that pve servers are boring. Reading this thread, it sounded like there was a blend of both on the servers. Confusing to me, it is.

It's like other MMOs like WoW with PVP and PVE servers. There just is areas of the game later on that are considered open pvp so that it's basically free for all no matter what server your on if you enter these areas.

Interfectum

I believe the main difference between PvP and PvE servers (for most MMOs) is on a PvE server you cannot get attacked by the opposite faction while you are doing random quests unless you are in a "PvP zone." But if you are on a PvP server you aren't save anywhere unless you are in a "Safe zone" (ie major cities, starting areas, etc).

So the real question you should ask yourself when choosing a server is:

Do you want to be griefed by higher level players and do you want to be able to grief lower level players? Do you want that sense of imminent death every time you step foot out into the world while doing random quests? If so, roll on a PvP server. If not, go PvE.

erragal

PVE servers are what you want. You won't get killed randomly while questing but there are still options to engage in PVP.

People told you PVE servers are boring because that's the 'cool' thing to say. Personally I love random PVP but I completely understand why it's not for everyone. It also helps that I'm usually the ganker and not the gankee.

Top Bottom