• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Is there any reason I should try to play this game with this computer:

ZHv6B.jpg

I believe the main difference between PvP and PvE servers (for most MMOs) is on a PvE server you cannot get attacked by the opposite faction while you are doing random quests unless you are in a "PvP zone." But if you are on a PvP server you aren't save anywhere unless you are in a "Safe zone" (ie major cities, starting areas, etc).

So the real question you should ask yourself when choosing a server is:

Do you want to be griefed by higher level players and do you want to be able to grief lower level players? Do you want that sense of imminent death every time you step foot out into the world while doing random quests? If so, roll on a PvP server. If not, go PvE.

TBH there are not that many "mixed" zones in the game. So you are still safe on quite a bit of planets. Griefing won't be that bad I think.

Bazza

Exactly I am so tired of hearing these miracle stories of people not putting in a cc when I had to do it WoW, Conan, Star Trek and DC Online ... Which all came with 30 days free

They are not charging these people, it's just to have a valid card on file in case you don't get a time card you can keep playing

"PAID SUBSCRIPTION, VALID AND ACCEPTED PAYMENT METHOD OR PAID GAME TIME CARD (IF AVAILABLE) REQUIRED TO ACCESS GAMEPLAY."

That was taken off the TOR page on the origin website, i imagine the same is on the physical version of the game, its pretty clear paid subscription is covered with the 30 days free with the game and valid & accepted Payment method would be your credit card or paypal info registered on the account and as you both mentioned this is the the same as pretty much every other MMO that has been released excluding F2P MMO's.

erragal

ITSEp.jpg

It's a laptop. My desktop is an iMac. Trying to figure out if I should even bother.

You could be the same person, but someone earlier in the thread had issues with that exact same GPU. It uses shared memory which can causes problems in a lot of games and is not optimized for gaming at all. Your CPU is probably fine as it's identical to what my GF is using to play the game, but I doubt that'll help.

You could be the same person, but someone earlier in the thread had issues with that exact same GPU. It uses shared memory which can causes problems in a lot of games and is not optimized for gaming at all. Your CPU is probably fine as it's identical to what my GF is using to play the game, but I doubt that'll help.

Wasn't me, but thanks.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't understand how the actual game launch has been very smooth (if you forget ridiculous queues) but BioWare cannot get their shit togheter when it comes to web services. The site cannot handle more than one person at time it seems. Is it really that hard to make robust site that can handle very high traffic without queues?

I've been able to play up until this morning, now I'm getting the "there is no currently active subscription on this account" - can't access the site to see what's wrong. Anyone else getting the same thing?

It's possible I don't actually have a subscription set up, but I'm quite sure I do.

The site's fucked up because they don't bother making it able to handle high traffic.

As for subscription, you need to buy 30+ days of game time to be able to play. Yes, you get your "free" 30 days as well... devious way to force a player to play the game for 60 days...
Now if the site would start working or Origin would deliver my GTC....

Venfayth

I've been able to play up until this morning, now I'm getting the "there is no currently active subscription on this account" - can't access the site to see what's wrong. Anyone else getting the same thing?

It's possible I don't actually have a subscription set up, but I'm quite sure I do.

Oh another question, does the story actually evolve when it comes to your progression? Like, from training, to a student and all the way up to a mighty sith lord or is it only at the beginning and then it's just a bunch of random people you do chores for? Does the end-game quests actually involve you becoming that all-powerful thing they kinda set you up as or does that die down.

It does evolve story wise, and they acknowledge it in game story and earned titles, though to what extent, haven't gotten their yet. Like with Sith Warrior in story people keep recognizing you, having heard rumors of you and how you are raising up in the ranks, etc.

Sethos

Banned
It does evolve story wise, and they acknowledge it in game story and earned titles, though to what extent, haven't gotten their yet. Like with Sith Warrior in story people keep recognizing you, having heard rumors of you and how you are raising up in the ranks, etc.

Oh loving the sound of that, appreciate the replies :)

Now if I can just stop feeling bad for constantly being a dick and treating my companions like trash, just to get the evil-points.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder how many people are in similar sitution to me. Can't get in to get subscription to set up due to high traffic, once you get in you cannot do anything due to high traffic, then you get kicked of due to high traffic and you need to start queuing up again... and you cannot play until you get the subscription set up. All the while more and more people do the same....

thinking of picking this up today...

my main fear is that the world will feel too empty. i've heard a lot of complaints about the game being super barren and devoid of player life, especially with it being instanced a lot. is this a fair criticism, or is it more a factor of some launch issues?

game seems fun and i definitely don't mind paying a monthly fee for it if it can deliver on the promise of an MMO, but if i'm going to be running around with AI companions and not seeing any other players, i'm worried that i'll drop the game pretty fast. i'd definitely like to play with some gaffers too, since i don't know many people willing to go out and actually pick this friggin game up. :p

ksimm

I wonder how many people are in similar sitution to me. Can't get in to get subscription to set up due to high traffic, once you get in you cannot do anything due to high traffic, then you get kicked of due to high traffic and you need to start queuing up again... and you cannot play until you get the subscription set up. All the while more and more people do the same....

I've just sat through the queue and got to enter my key, but it's not doing much now due to the strain.

Edit: looks like it's going through now!

BTW for those queuing on the website.

If you ordered digital via Origin you do NOT have to enter creditcard details.

my main fear is that the world will feel too empty. i've heard a lot of complaints about the game being super barren and devoid of player life, especially with it being instanced a lot. is this a fair criticism, or is it more a factor of some launch issues?

Is that a joke?

Plenty of people around but some of the areas are a bit bigger than a (WoW) poststamp yes. As it should be. Can't imagine Tatooine with a player every few meters.

Interfectum

thinking of picking this up today...

game seems fun and i definitely don't mind paying a monthly fee for it if it can deliver on the promise of an MMO, but if i'm going to be running around with AI companions and not seeing any other players, i'm worried that i'll drop the game pretty fast. i'd definitely like to play with some gaffers too, since i don't know many people willing to go out and actually pick this friggin game up. :p

I see people everywhere I go. Some areas are more populated than others but there are still plenty of people running around and doing their own thing.

Venfayth

So apparently I need to register my key still before I can set up a subscription, but when I enter my key to have it registered, it tells me that I've already registered with that key (it shows up under my Games section)

Sigh, nice. Guess I'll be having a fun evening with customer service after work today.

Woorloog

Banned
BTW for those queuing on the website.

If you ordered digital via Origin you do NOT have to enter creditcard details.

Tell that to the system. I ordered the game through Origin, digitally. Sure as hell have to enter CC details.
Once the system let's move on from that point...

Kettch

I don't understand how the actual game launch has been very smooth (if you forget ridiculous queues) but BioWare cannot get their shit togheter when it comes to web services. The site cannot handle more than one person at time it seems. Is it really that hard to make robust site that can handle very high traffic without queues?

The site's fucked up because they don't bother making it able to handle high traffic.

As for subscription, you need to buy 30+ days of game time to be able to play. Yes, you get your "free" 30 days as well... devious way to force a player to play the game for 60 days...
Now if the site would start working or Origin would deliver my GTC....

So I'm guessing that since it says you aren't charged until your current session is over, that if you subscribe and then cancel, your game access will be revoked? That they're basically forcing you to either get a game card or give them your credit card for a month? Because if so, that's a pretty despicable business practice.

zonezeus

It's getting all kind of retarded, I'm having the same message since morning. It's probably the code, I've been trying to redeem it for the last 4 hours, but the goddamn site puts me in a waiting room all the time. ONCE I managed to actually enter it and got "this code is already used" message, then back to fucking waiting line. Thanks EA, I can't even play what I paid for!

Dakota47

I see people everywhere I go. Some areas are more populated than others but there are still plenty of people running around and doing their own thing.

I am not a big fan of instancing but in this game it works. There are always other players around but not too many to steal all your quest mobs. The maximum seems to be between 100 and 150 players per zone.

Interfectum

So I'm guessing that since it says you aren't charged until your current session is over, that if you subscribe and then cancel, your game access will be revoked? That they're basically forcing you to either get a game card or give them your credit card for a month? Because if so, that's a pretty despicable business practice.

This your first MMO?

Kem0sabe

Christmas holiday season and the game was in maintenance the whole morning in europe...

Also, who the "#$% had the bright idea of linking the website to the game server maintenance?

Want to check why the game is down? can´t do it because the site is down

Want to check the forums? nope

Just bought the game and want to register it? no can do

Seriously EA/Bioware... WTF?

P.S This is the first site i have seen with a queue... the interweb provides when you run out of shit to amaze you.

I am not a big fan of instancing but in this game it works. There are always other players around but not too many to steal all your quest mobs. The maximum seems to be between 100 and 150 players per zone.

Not a fan of instancing, but without it I think things would be a mess here. In some areas I think they could do with raising the instance caps though, or it would be nice to have a dynamic system that would change the caps depending on server stress and amount of players in an area at once.

Sethos

Banned

Game access isn't revoked until the game-time runs out, even if you remove the CC or at least, that's how every MMO works I've played. So type in a CC, they charge you for 30 days, cancel subscription and it'll end after 30 days, account frozen.

They get your credit card for a few seconds if you want yes. You can cancel immediatly if you so desire. A lof of MMOs do this.

Kettch

Game access isn't revoked until the game-time runs out, even if you remove the CC or at least, that's how every MMO works I've played. So type in a CC, they charge you for 30 days, cancel subscription and it'll end after 30 days, account frozen.

Thanks. That's nice at least.

Dunlop

PVE servers are what you want. You won't get killed randomly while questing but there are still options to engage in PVP.

I remember the horrors of levelling my priest in vanilla wow around Hillsbrand, I think I made half a level in a week from the non stop ganking.

Interfectum

I remember the horrors of levelling my priest in vanilla wow around Hillsbrand, I think I made half a level in a week from the non stop ganking.

Mine was Un'Goro Crater. Not sure why but I was ganked there so much it took forever to get out of that zone.

ksimm

Finally, well that was a long old process. I just wish my game time card had come with the game so that I didn't have to go through that super slow subscription phase.

Darklord

Banned
UH. I hate grouping up in fucking MMO's. This group I got was seriously the worst I've ever had. We go into this heroic area and they all start trying solo elite groups and then die. Then they start fighting with like 1/4 health and die. Then they start trying to run past groups(which we HAVE to kill anyway) and die. I'm yelling at them to stop soloing and just wait and regroup, nope, charge off and start trying to fight like 10 elites. It ruins the game so much.

PaNaMa

Banned
Ok, so I try to log into SWTOR today and it tells me my account has no subscription, and that I must set one up. It directs me to the web page, and prompts me to enter my product code. So I tab over to Origin, right click on my game and choose "details" and copy/paste the code back into SWTOR.com. But it tells me my code has already been redeemed!

I remember it telling me this before, when I tried to set up my subscription last week.
Is the Origin product code wrong or something?

I can't find the 1-800 number for support cause the web page is in some sort of queuing mode, and it simply won't take me to the support page. Anyone have this happen?

moop1167

Do "high" textures not work in this game? Switching from medium to high seems to do nothing. Going from low to medium or low to high does make a change, though. I think high is borked?

Ok, so I try to log into SWTOR today and it tells me my account has no subscription, and that I must set one up. It directs me to the web page, and prompts me to enter my product code. So I tab over to Origin, right click on my game and choose "details" and copy/paste the code back into SWTOR.com. But it tells me my code has already been redeemed!

I remember it telling me this before, when I tried to set up my subscription last week.
Is the Origin product code wrong or something?

I can't find the 1-800 number for support cause the web page is in some sort of queuing mode, and it simply won't take me to the support page. Anyone have this happen?

In your email that your orgin account is tied too they sent an email with it in there.

Do "high" textures not work in this game? Switching from medium to high seems to do nothing. Going from low to medium or low to high does make a change, though. I think high is borked?

Are you forcing anything through other means or video card settings? Some folks have had trouble with the visuals not changing when forcing things through video card settings apps.

PaNaMa

Banned
Yup, it's the same code as what's showing on my Origin page for SWTOR.
That's the same one in the email they sent me.

Their system is telling me it's already been redeemed and won't let me set up a subcription.

theta11

Not even sure why I need to "activate" my account by putting in a credit card. What if I didn't want to use a credit card and only use game time cards. =/

markatisu

Not even sure why I need to "activate" my account by putting in a credit card. What if I didn't want to use a credit card and only use game time cards. =/

You need to have one as a failsafe so that if you don't get the game card you can still continue to play

Seriously, its like this for most subscription based things in 2011. Hulu, Netflix, TiVO, most MMO's

You put a CC in, they let you play with the free time. You enter a new card in before the next month they continue to let you play with no charging.

Top Bottom