• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

KePoW

Banned
While it's nice, it's a bit excessive how much xp you can earn with the double xp on.

I actually agree that the double XP makes it way too fast, but I'm probably in the minority.

My perspective is coming from lowbie Warzones though... to me, I absolutely love pre-50 WZ, but despise 50 WZ. I want to stay below 50 as long as possible.

HBroward

Bioware response to Pylon farming leveling method.

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on this now that I have all of the information in place.

First, we are not considering this an exploit so anyone who had fear of action being taken against their characters, etc, should not be afraid. We will not be doing anything to players who used the Ilum pylons to get to 50.

I will say that player ingenuity never ceases to amaze us all. This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends. Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

I wanted to talk a bit about the fix itself since it will mix up things on Ilum temporarily. Our immediate fix to this issue is that for the time being, we are going to disable bolster on Ilum. This will have a couple of different affects.
Low level characters will no longer be treated as level 50 in regards to experience. They will now have the normal experience penalties associated to grouping with a player of a higher level. Meaning those players will now gain little to no experience when grouped.
Players who are levels 45-49 will have a slightly harder time completing some Gree event quests as they are no longer bolstered to level 50.
I want to again reiterate that this is only a temporary solution. We are continuing to investigate the issue and intend to have a more permanent solution in place before the Gree event returns.

-eric

haikira

Few questions about the weekly flashpoint limit for F2P users, if no one minds answering them?

What day does the limit reset?

Is it per character or account?

Is there a way check how many you have left for the week?

Few questions about the weekly flashpoint limit for F2P users, if no one minds answering them?

What day does the limit reset?

Is it per character or account?

Is there a way check how many you have left for the week?
It resets on Sunday. It even resets again on Monday for some reason.

It is per character.

You can always check how many you have left in the group finder window.

haikira

It resets on Sunday. It even resets again on Monday for some reason.

It is per character.

You can always check how many you have left in the group finder window.

Thanks very much.

One last thing. I got some Cartel points. I've already bought the account unlock for removing equipment restrictions and some flashpoint passes. Think i still have about 2500ish left. Any other must buy stuff?

Thanks very much.

One last thing. I got some Cartel points. I've already bought the account unlock for removing equipment restrictions and some flashpoint passes. Think i still have about 2500ish left. Any other must buy stuff?
I recommend picking up Rocket Boost from the Legacy perks at level 10. Saves you a lot of time getting from place to place when you don't have a speeder. It also comes in handy inside buildings when you can't use your speeder.

Purchased the account-wide unlock for the Guild Bank today. Got it cheap at 320,000 credits when it's usually 600k and up. Been trying to find one that cheap for a while now. Think I have all of the account wide unlocks except for a bank slot or two.

State of Game #3 is up, nothing major new except for them confirming you will be able to change your character appearance using the cartel coins early Summer.

Also SWTOR has added 2 million new accounts since their F2P launch.

State of Game #3 is up, nothing major new except for them confirming you will be able to change your character appearance using the cartel coins early Summer.

Was really hoping they'd let you do paid character transfers with cartel coins. Or at least paid transfers at all.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Made a post about it on the gaming side.

*flame suit on*

Cystm

Made a post about it on the gaming side.

Why?

You might as well have created a thread titled:

Honestly don't really know wtf you are talking about? Angry about what every MMO hasor does? Fanboy of _insert other MMO here_? Come post in this thread!

Without more statistical account / financial information, I would not have created a TOR thread with the intention of showing the game in a positive light.

I am trying to back you up in that thread though! :p

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Why?

You might as well have created a thread titled:

Honestly don't really know wtf you are talking about? Angry about what every MMO hasor does? Fanboy of _insert other MMO here_? Come post in this thread!

Without more statistical account / financial information, I would not have created a TOR thread with the intention of showing the game in a positive light.

I am trying to back you up in that thread though! :p

Just trying to give some positive news :p I should have included the EA conference call info in the OP to give more context though.

I'm not sure how much specific statistical information we're likely to get moving forward.

StudioTan

The official forums are full of the fucking worst people. I've never seen so much incessant whining in my life.

I like to check out the forums for news and dev posts but sorting through all the trolls and nerd rage is painful.

The official forums are full of the fucking worst people. I've never seen so much incessant whining in my life.

I like to check out the forums for news and dev posts but sorting through all the trolls and nerd rage is painful.
I'd like to think one day MMO forums wouldn't be so horrible but that day will never come. If it ever happened it's probably a sign of the apocalypse.

It's best to not read anything except for the dev tracker

haikira

Been playing this with some friends on an EU server and i'm really enjoying it, though shame i can't play on the same server Gaf does.

The F2P system is better, than i thought it initially looked. I've always been more of a "pay as you go" kind of guy, when it comes to stuff. So i'm happier having bought a bundle of cartel points and just buying stuff as i need it. I don't like subscribing as much, as i feel guilty if i take a break for a week or two. I feel like i'm just wasting money. But i don't have a problem paying for something, when it's worth it.

I really love my character's storyline, which is the sith inquisitor. I'm also a big fan of the game being fully voiced. I find it a lot more immersive than the average MMO.

Been playing this with some friends on an EU server and i'm really enjoying it, though shame i can't play on the same server Gaf does.

The F2P system is better, than i thought it initially looked. I've always been more of a "pay as you go" kind of guy, when it comes to stuff. So i'm happier having bought a bundle of cartel points and just buying stuff as i need it. I don't like subscribing as much, as i feel guilty if i take a break for a week or two. I feel like i'm just wasting money. But i don't have a problem paying for something, when it's worth it.

I really love my character's storyline, which is the sith inquisitor. I'm also a big fan of the game being fully voiced. I find it a lot more immersive than the average MMO.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! The F2P model for the game certainly has its flaws but I find it's really easy to work around. I think one of the best decisions they made was letting people put cartel market items and unlocks onto the GTN for people to purchase. It really helps for those people who might not want to put money into the game but would like to use their credits to unlock some stuff for their characters or account as a whole. I've probably spent quite a few million credits in total so far on the GTN purchasing just cartel market stuff.

So I guess this morning's maintenance did not turn off bolster as they planned to. It's still working. Now I wonder, after the post they made this week, if they're going to start taking action against people that do power level on Ilum.

Oh and Darth Hater has a special announcement on March 29th which I can only guess is either the release date of Rise of the Hutt Cartel or Cathar.

kmz

Neo Member
Has anybody tried if grouping with a 45+ player nerfs your XP though? That was really the key on Ilum much more than bolster itself.

Alur

It's nice to hear a new player enjoying the game. Like all games, it has it's issues, but where it's good it's amazing. The stories are pretty good for MMO fair, voice acting is great, PVP is quite fun and accessible compared to most MMO's, and the raiding has really picked up in design from all accounts. It's definitely a quality game now that they've added a lot of the features folks pined for from the beginning.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! The F2P model for the game certainly has its flaws but I find it's really easy to work around. I think one of the best decisions they made was letting people put cartel market items and unlocks onto the GTN for people to purchase. It really helps for those people who might not want to put money into the game but would like to use their credits to unlock some stuff for their characters or account as a whole. I've probably spent quite a few million credits in total so far on the GTN purchasing just cartel market stuff.

Pretty much this. Cargo Bay unlocks for 95,000 credits on GTN? Yes please. Race unlocks for 125k? Just in time for double EXP weekend!

Draxal

It's nice to hear a new player enjoying the game. Like all games, it has it's issues, but where it's good it's amazing. The stories are pretty good for MMO fair, voice acting is great, PVP is quite fun and accessible compared to most MMO's, and the raiding has really picked up in design from all accounts. It's definitely a quality game now that they've added a lot of the features folks pined for from the beginning.

Except Dual Spec ! AC switching. I could understand the second, but the first is a staple to the genre right now, would help flashpoint q's so much.

Alur

Except Dual Spec ! AC switching. I could understand the second, but the first is a staple to the genre right now, would help flashpoint q's so much.

I dunno I don't find it absolutely necessary with the field respecs. Most everyone I know has their specs memorized backwards and forwards by this point, so it's like a 30 second process. Hell, Milly79/Yooni respecs in the middle of warzones occasionally! I did the other night as well. That said, it definitely should be there but at least we have a stopgap.

I think the biggest thing missing is the server transfers...which is easy money and I can't fathom why it doesn't exist.

EDIT: Also, had to order a new video card. GeForce GTX 660 TI on it's way...it's not light years better than what I had, but if it's noticeably better I'll be quite happy!

kmz

Neo Member
Torwars is saying they have something to announce at the same time, so I guess it's a timed announcement being given to the big fansites.

Also, apparently the servers are being rebooted right now. Maybe to refix the Ilum bolster thing?

kmz

Neo Member
If you trust the DH's comments, it'll be several different things, so I'm thinking Makeb release date plus maybe Cathar? Server transfers?

Cystm

Server transfers?

I want it to be this, so bad, but everytime it's brought up, it's always "in the future" or some other nebulous statement. Nothing definitive.

We're already heading into April. It will be the release date for the Xpac.

HBroward

I took the day off and spent it running errands waiting for the servers to come back up. Only for them to go back down. And not have a scheduled time for coming back online. Sigh.

Draxal

I dunno I don't find it absolutely necessary with the field respecs. Most everyone I know has their specs memorized backwards and forwards by this point, so it's like a 30 second process. Hell, Milly79/Yooni respecs in the middle of warzones occasionally! I did the other night as well. That said, it definitely should be there but at least we have a stopgap.

I think the biggest thing missing is the server transfers...which is easy money and I can't fathom why it doesn't exist.

EDIT: Also, had to order a new video card. GeForce GTX 660 TI on it's way...it's not light years better than what I had, but if it's noticeably better I'll be quite happy!

Honestly for me, the bigger issue was keybinding, especially when you're switching specs between completely different roles.

Alur

Honestly for me, the bigger issue was keybinding, especially when you're switching specs between completely different roles.

That's a good point, Draxal. I hadn't thought of that. I just switch between different healing specs, so my keys can mostly stay the same. I get where you're coming from now.

So thx to double xp finally made progress on the JK storyline. It really is a slow burner but does get real good once you get near end of chapter 1 and onward. It's like the story just finally turned on.

Draxal

So thx to double xp finally made progress on the JK storyline. It really is a slow burner but does get real good once you get near end of chapter 1 and onward. It's like the story just finally turned on.

I think the JK story and Trooper story are the exact opposites, the Trooper story progessively gets worse and worse while the JK gets better and better.

FYC

Banned
I really like the double XP, good time to come back. 24 hours /played and I'm level 31 + just starting Alderaan.

Really like that you now get XP boosts whenever you finish major parts of your class storyline. It also seems that you also get them now when you finish the general world chains too.

Really like that you now get XP boosts whenever you finish major parts of your class storyline. It also seems that you also get them now when you finish the general world chains too.
Yeah. That was a good change. I bought tons of Major Experience Boosts before the weekend started and only had to use 3 of them because I was getting a bunch while leveling.

Top Bottom