• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yea figures it would just be release date stuff.

Well, the NDA is up tomorrow so more info coming. If anyone thought the announcements would be about content beyond Makeb they were fooling themselves. There is no reason to start hyping something new with an expansion launching in 2 weeks.

HBroward

Can't wait, gonna try and get a couple days off for that early access!

Edit: Also I found this quote in an interview:

6. Will there be a bonus boss in Scum and Villainy like the Dreadful Entity in Terror from Beyond? Will we see a use for the Dreadful Orb in ROTHC?

Jesse: You really shouldn’t play around with strange objects you find in caves. Bad things could happen

Gonna be exciting to see what kind of crazy boss the Orb unlocks, although I still expect it to be in Nightmare TFB at the earliest most likely.

kmz

Neo Member
Was that on JC? I know last week there was a similar issue on I think either Bastion or Harbinger and they actually had to reboot the server.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/23676-developer-q-a-featuring-bruce-maclean

This Q&A doesn't really spark any confidence of them adding much to the game. The first question especially is going to set many folks off as it sounds like they are mainly interested in doing Makeb like story expansions instead of actually expanding individual class stories. New companions are hard, so more HK-51 type of things? Really what happened to our personal stories getting expanded? Sounds almost like that was always just BS, especially now since we are likely not going to see any major expansion for this game, just little content packs like Rise of the Hutts.

Draxal

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/23676-developer-q-a-featuring-bruce-maclean

This Q&A doesn't really spark any confidence of them adding much to the game. The first question especially is going to set many folks off as it sounds like they are mainly interested in doing Makeb like story expansions instead of actually expanding individual class stories. New companions are hard, so more HK-51 type of things? Really what happened to our personal stories getting expanded? Sounds almost like that was always just BS, especially now since we are likely not going to see any major expansion for this game, just little content packs like Rise of the Hutts.

Well, in all honesty I don't mind this. The 1-50 storeis for alot of characters really did feel like they had a beginning and and end, so I"m kinda glad that they can't ruin the ending in these xp packs.

Zafir

Well, it probably wasn't bullshit originally. However, with how much it bombed, they just aren't going to put the funding in to expand on all 8 stories imo.

Well, in all honesty I don't mind this. The 1-50 storeis for alot of characters really did feel like they had a beginning and and end, so I"m kinda glad that they can't ruin the ending in these cartel packs.

The problem is they have been stating how your story will continue and be expanded on and stuff like the sam sex relationships for a while now. Players keep asking specifically about class story extentions and they always talk around it or make it seem like it's something to come. This interview now makes it sound like they aren't going to even bother with that. I can understand the game didn't go as they originally planned, and now it has to be a smaller f2p game with giving out little bits at a time, but it's going to piss off lot of folks who have been waiting for personal stuff to expand.

Lot of it just doesn't spark any confidence when they are asking about stuff that folks have been asking for since last year and it sounds like none of it is coming any time soon, it all sounds like it's something they want to do in the future. There is no commitment to anything said in this Q&A either. Dual Spec? Yea we would like to do that. Wait wtf this was something that was being said was going to get put in long ago and now it's something they would like to do?

Draxal

The problem is they have been stating how your story will continue and be expanded on and stuff like the sam sex relationships for a while now. Players keep asking specifically about class story extentions and they always talk around it or make it seem like it's something to come. This interview now makes it sound like they aren't going to even bother with that. I can understand the game didn't go as they originally planned, and now it has to be a smaller f2p game with giving out little bits at a time, but it's going to piss off lot of folks who have been waiting for personal stuff to expand.

Lot of it just doesn't spark any confidence when they are asking about stuff that folks have been asking for since last year and it sounds like none of it is coming any time soon, it all sounds like it's something they want to do in the future. There is no commitment to anything said in this Q&A either. Dual Spec? Yea we would like to do that. Wait wtf this was something that was being said was going to get put in long ago and now it's something they would like to do?

Oh I understand, but for me personally I think if they tried to expand some of the stories they would have been half assed (like the last act of the trooper which seemed to be rushed). I wouldn't want to see them butcher the jk's or smuggler's story with a half assed expansion that they had to rush out.

And I completely agree about dual spec, but that's a rant of mine for a different time, they do need to commit to the stuff that they agreed to do already, and it's not just Wow that has dual spec, it's a pretty common feature of the genre.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I anticipate the super secret space project as being a pretty major expansion.

Westlo

How's the leveling in this game now? Basically if I wanted to mostly do class quests to level how viable is that, pretty much in launch it felt like 20% class, 80% other as a means to level up. Anyway to get the reverse of that? Legacy unlock? Micro transaction?

Makes sense though, why make 8 stories when you can make only 1, especially with the losses this game would've incurred.

How's the leveling in this game now? Basically if I wanted to mostly do class quests to level how viable is that, pretty much in launch it felt like 20% class, 80% other as a means to level up. Anyway to get the reverse of that? Legacy unlock? Micro transaction?.

Yea it's essentially the same. You can purchase xp boosts as part of your legacy that can give you up to 30% extra xp for your class misisons, exploration, space, warzones, and flashpoints. You also can from the cartel shop by xp boosters which give you a few hours of +25% xp gains. Now when you complete a major part of your class stroryline, and planetary quest chain, you get xp boosters as quest rewards too.

And with 2.0, you will get a passive 5% xp boost for being in a guild as well.

Makes sense though, why make 8 stories when you can make only 1, especially with the losses this game would've incurred.

I understand it, it's just going to not be taken well as they made it seem that it was going to be the other way around for a long time. Makes sense as it's hard to do little expansion and add any meaningful storyline to each class storyline.

I anticipate the super secret space project as being a pretty major expansion.

I'm not going to get hyped or expect much from that really since it probably is so far off and who knows how things can change with TOR. And don't really think it's going to have any major class expansion material if any.

Alur

How's the leveling in this game now? Basically if I wanted to mostly do class quests to level how viable is that, pretty much in launch it felt like 20% class, 80% other as a means to level up. Anyway to get the reverse of that? Legacy unlock? Micro transaction?

You can use credits to unlock 30% extra EXP on whatever style of EXP you want in your legacy tree on a per character basis. (ie: PVP EXP, Class Mission EXP, Flashpoint EXP, etc) You can also buy 25% EXP boosts for any of those things (including just overall EXP) on the Cartel Market...or do it the easy way and just buy em for like 10-20k on the GTN. They last 1 hour to 3 hours, depending on what you get.

Until the expansion there is also double EXP weekends which is pretty awesome and you can do a serious chunk of leveling in just a couple days. You can most assuredly do nearly only class quests that way. Warzones give awesome EXP as well. I got 6 levels (38-44) in basically only part time playing on lowbies this weekend via warzones due to all the EXP boosting.

Westlo

Hmm double xp weekend sounds good, good enough to get me to play this a bit now. Also might bite on a few xp things since IIRC you need a max level character to get into legacy?

So lot of info on Makeb is now out, lot of spoilers so avoiding lot of it.

The new seeker and macrobinocular missions seem nice. Dailies that involve going to 4 different planets and doing scavenger hunt like missions similar to finding the HK-51 parts. Seeker is using a droid to scan like the HK-51 mission, while the macrobinocular missions involve scanning the landscape visually in first person view to find stuff. Most of the objectives will move or spawn somewhere else every 24 hours. Get coms, rep rewards for a new group, and around 8k+ credits each mission. Their's also a heroic daily apparently for each planet.

Hmm double xp weekend sounds good, good enough to get me to play this a bit now. Also might bite on a few xp things since IIRC you need a max level character to get into legacy?

You get your legacy unlocked for completing chapter 1 with a character from what I remember, which is around level 30-34

Westlo

Man this 350k credit limit is gonna be a bummer, already had 150k on my 27 agent and probably another 150k in mats. Wonder how much I lost in the mail when I stopped playing last Feb...

first things first I gotta get rid of that not being able to hide helm shit lol, 80k on auction house... fuck it might as well get some cartel points.

Alur

first things first I gotta get rid of that not being able to hide helm shit lol, 80k on auction house... fuck it might as well get some cartel points.

And so it begins...

I just wanted to clarify that there are only 2 or 3 more double EXP weekends as far as I know. Plenty enough to get max level if you play regularly though.

Keep in mind it doubles everything. Your EXP boosts are doubled. Your legacy EXP boost is doubled. Plus the regular double EXP. So if you have everything, instead of just 200% + 25% + 30% it's actually 200% + 25% x 2 + 30% x 2 = 310% if I remember correctly.

Man this 350k credit limit is gonna be a bummer, already had 150k on my 27 agent and probably another 150k in mats. Wonder how much I lost in the mail when I stopped playing last Feb...

It's amazing that you even have 150k creds saved up at 27. Most players tend to be constantly struggling while leveling up to have creds and skill training at various levels can cost you 60k+ wiping a person out of their hard earned work.

HBroward

The final balance changes for Merc/Commando were posted yesterday:

I definitely have a team that supports me, brainstorms with me, and tests with me, but I do all of the design, implementation, and balance for all of the classes by myself. It is a daunting task.

The following changes are going out in 2.0 and won't be making it onto PTS.

Bounty Hunter
Mercenary
-Electro Net: This ability now applies its effects instantly instead of waiting for a projectile to finish traveling.

Arsenal:
-Tracer Missile: The Heat Signature applied by Tracer Missile now lasts 45 seconds. In addition, the Heat Signature effect now reduces armor by 20% and no longer stacks. Furthermore, this ability now fires a faster-moving projectile.
-Heatseeker Missiles: This ability now deals 25% additional damage if the target is affected by your Heat Signature. In addition, this ability now fires a slightly slower-moving projectile, ensuring that the Heat Signature effect-checking will work properly if fired off immediately after a Tracer Missile.
-Light 'Em Up: No longer affects Heat Signatures applied by Tracer Missile.

Trooper
Commando
-Electro Net: This ability now applies its effects instantly instead of waiting for a projectile to finish traveling.

Gunnery:
-Grav Round: The Gravity Vortex applied by Grav Round now lasts 45 seconds. In addition, the Gravity Vortex effect now reduces armor by 20% and no longer stacks. Furthermore, this ability now fires a faster-moving projectile.
-Demolition Round: This ability now deals 25% additional damage if the target is affected by your Gravity Vortex. In addition, this ability now fires a slightly slower-moving projectile, ensuring that the Gravity Vortex effect-checking will work properly if fired off immediately after a Grav Round.
-Gravity Surge: No longer affects Gravity Vortices applied by Grav Round.
Austin Peckenpaugh
Class Designer

Got my Sith Warrior to 50 over the weekend. That's two 50s churned out over two Double XP weekends. I want to work on a Consular but I don't know if I have it in me.

Hixx

Sit on hold for 30 minutes to talk to their CS. 30 minutes.

Get told to phone back in 'a few hours', and the phone gets put down. Jesus fucking christ.

Alur

Sit on hold for 30 minutes to talk to their CS. 30 minutes.

Get told to phone back in 'a few hours', and the phone gets put down. Jesus fucking christ.

Sounds about right. I've never had an issue, but heard lots of horror stories. I've been thankful my playing experience has only been usurped bad enough to have to go that route twice.

UltraMav

Yeah Phone CS has always been awesome for me as soon as I actually get through. I hope this isn't a sign that they've cut it down even more...

Westlo

They really improved performance in the Imperial Fleet compared to how it used to be before...

And so it begins...

I just wanted to clarify that there are only 2 or 3 more double EXP weekends as far as I know. Plenty enough to get max level if you play regularly though.

Keep in mind it doubles everything. Your EXP boosts are doubled. Your legacy EXP boost is doubled. Plus the regular double EXP. So if you have everything, instead of just 200% + 25% + 30% it's actually 200% + 25% x 2 + 30% x 2 = 310% if I remember correctly.

Ended up not getting any cartel points because of the 350k credits limit, now if that was a cartel unlock... got hide helm for 60k of GTN

It's amazing that you even have 150k creds saved up at 27. Most players tend to be constantly struggling while leveling up to have creds and skill training at various levels can cost you 60k+ wiping a person out of their hard earned work.

My 25 Sith Warrior maxed out Slicing, my 27 Agent was 398/400 Underworld Trading. Also helps that the auction house is stupid in that it lists a very low price for anything you put on it by defailt. Was able to buy a lot of high priced missions in the first few months of this game for like what 297 credits? Some I used, some I flipped.

Westlo

I don't mind the cartel packs, its just all the shitty restrictions that are annoying, TERA is a much better/fairer way of doing F2P. Cartel Packs/TERA equivalents are fair enough, and I guess expected moving forward in this genre, I like the card game analogy. I just hope more people treat the actual gameplay more like TERA as opposed to hiding a lot behind unlocks like TOR.

God, if they lightened up on the gameplay restrictions they would get me back. Seems like cartel packs seem like where the money is coming from anyway.

I don't mind the cartel packs, its just all the shitty restrictions that are annoying, TERA is a much better/fairer way of doing F2P. Cartel Packs/TERA equivalents are fair enough, and I guess expected moving forward in this genre, I like the card game analogy. I just hope more people treat the actual gameplay more like TERA as opposed to hiding a lot behind unlocks like TOR.
Yeah they need to get rid of some of the restrictions. They seem to be slowly doing it over time but hell unlimited flashpoints and warzones isn't going to kill anybody.

When they start lifting features for F2P players they should give Subscribers something that make them feel special for shelling out $15 a month. I'm not sure what kind of special things would be good though.

FYC

Banned
This game's pretty fun so far, I'm on Alderaan and thanks to double xp I can skip most of the sidequests. I'm about 3 levels ahead of my class stuff at this point, it's neat. But to be fair, if I get sick of sidequests I can just do PvP, and thankfully Huttball is really awesome. By far my favorite Warzone.

Top Bottom