• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Cystm

Nope! Looks like Darthhater was wrong - http://dulfy.net/2013/04/26/swtor-armor-dyes-and-appearance-designer-kiosk-details/ Appearance stuff costs cartel coins but subs get a permanent discount. Hopefully prices are reasonable.

Dyes come from crafting, cartel market, security key and CE vendors. It seems like it works the same as modding gear but some stuff can't be dyed and dyes are single use.

They really should have made them Legacy wide unlocks. Craftable sure, but make them permanent and just add in rare dyes like in GW2, so everyone is happy.

This just sounds like an antiquated implementation, but hopefully they can surprise me.

Edit: Damn phone.

Nope! Looks like Darthhater was wrong - http://dulfy.net/2013/04/26/swtor-armor-dyes-and-appearance-designer-kiosk-details/ Appearance stuff costs cartel coins but subs get a permanent discount. Hopefully prices are reasonable.

Dyes come from crafting, cartel market, security key and CE vendors. It seems like it works the same as modding gear but some stuff can't be dyed and dyes are single use.

Pretty lame all around. Going to be lot of upset folks about this update unless they put in some other new functions into the game. You can now play Cathar! Give us money. You can customize your look! Give us money. And won't be surprised if various dyes will be exclusive to the cartel market as well.

They really should have made them Legacy wide unlocks. Craftable sure, but make them permanent and just add in rare dyes like in GW2, so everyone is happy.

This just sounds like a antiquated implementation, but hopefully they can surprise me.

It's a credit sink, which they are all about. Like the stupid new travel costs and such. And at the same time they get to add something for crafters to make and work for that is easy for them to add too on a regular basis. Making them permanent would have made the crafting of them pretty pointless in the long term.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Pretty lame all around. Going to be lot of upset folks about this update unless they put in some other new functions into the game. You can now play Cathar! Give us money. You can customize your look! Give us money. And won't be surprised if various dyes will be exclusive to the cartel market as well.

It's a credit sink, which they are all about. Like the stupid new travel costs and such. And at the same time they get to add something for crafters to make and work for that is easy for them to add too on a regular basis. Making them permanent would have made the crafting of them pretty pointless in the long term.

The dyes sound like you'll get them similar to colour crystals, some on the market from packs, some from crafting, special colours for CE etc...or maybe drops or achievements?

I agree there needs to me more than this in the next patch that isn't cartel market related but I don't really have a problem with these particular things being market items. Vanity is what the market should be for.

Hopefully they'll have more stuff to reveal about the patch soon.

Made a SW/Mara on Jedi Covenant after resubbing two days ago. Progressing at my own pace but I'm enjoying the story quite a bit since I never completed it before.

Really interested in making a Cathar character once they're released.

Alur

So Qruul, you gone again?

I am around and still reading. The whole leveling thing just kicks my ass. I was gonna level with Trevin like we had planned, but the second and third nights we were supposed to go I had unexpected family here at the house and couldn't get on at night. You guys already have multiple 55's now though, so I'm just too far behind.

I have just kind of been twiddling my thumbs. Unfortunately you and the Minister are the only folks I know who play late at night anymore, so when you're off doing your thing I'd just be soloing anyway...which is no fun, hence the no play. With no double EXP, not a lot I'd like to do solo. I'm not 100% out, just waiting on the itch or a good patch reason to log in.

Wallach

I am around and still reading. The whole leveling thing just kicks my ass. I was gonna level with Trevin like we had planned, but the second and third nights we were supposed to go I had unexpected family here at the house and couldn't get on at night. You guys already have multiple 55's now though, so I'm just too far behind.

I have just kind of been twiddling my thumbs. Unfortunately you and the Minister are the only folks I know who play late at night anymore, so when you're off doing your thing I'd just be soloing anyway...which is no fun, hence the no play. With no double EXP, not a lot I'd like to do solo. I'm not 100% out, just waiting on the itch or a good patch reason to log in.

To be honest the 50-55 leveling experience is one of the shortest I've ever had in a post-expansion setting. I basically hit 55 on accident, wasn't even halfway done with Makeb. I suspect a lot of folks hit 55 in one evening.

Milly79

That's disheartening.

PatDH

Wow, I really didn't expect to enjoy this game as much as I am. It has so far been worth all the trouble I had getting the game to actually run lol.

To be honest the 50-55 leveling experience is one of the shortest I've ever had in a post-expansion setting. I basically hit 55 on accident, wasn't even halfway done with Makeb. I suspect a lot of folks hit 55 in one evening.

Yea the new quests all give so much more xp than the older ones from the 40-50 range. 40-50 is such a slog to level through but 50-55 is quick with how much xp the new content gives.

So will subscribers have to pay for the Cathar as well?

They are 600 cartel coins for an account unlock. That usually is how many complimentary coins are given to subscribers with their subscription and security key bonus. So subscribers can get them for free with their monthly allowance.

Mordeccai

Wow, I really didn't expect to enjoy this game as much as I am. It has so far been worth all the trouble I had getting the game to actually run lol.

Good to hear! Same thing happened to my friend. He didn't expect to enjoy an MMO at all and has really liked playing his sorcerer so far.

PatDH

So I haven't really given the Cartel Market much of a look through yet but with the 500 coins you get for subscribing should I get anything in particular? Or buy more coins and get something else?

So I haven't really given the Cartel Market much of a look through yet but with the 500 coins you get for subscribing should I get anything in particular? Or buy more coins and get something else?
Buy Rocket Boost from your legacy perks. It will make getting through indoor areas without access to your speeder that much better.

Yea account wide legacy unlocks add lot of convenience to the game and its easier than spending ton of credits in game that take long time to grind. Also right now saving up your coins to buy the Cathar race when it is added in the next update is a good idea.

PatDH

Buy Rocket Boost from your legacy perks. It will make getting through indoor areas without access to your speeder that much better.

Yea account wide legacy unlocks add lot of convenience to the game and its easier than spending ton of credits in game that take long time to grind. Also right now saving up your coins to buy the Cathar race when it is added in the next update is a good idea.

Thanks for the replies. Ended up getting the pack with the Rocket Boost unlock in it, think it was somewhere around 300 CC on sale for the lot. Will look into the Cathar race when it's added as well.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Thanks for the replies. Ended up getting the pack with the Rocket Boost unlock in it, think it was somewhere around 300 CC on sale for the lot. Will look into the Cathar race when it's added as well.

Here's a tip, if you have an android or ios phone, you should download the free security app for SWTOR. It will mean having to put in a unique number every time you log in but your account will be hack proof and it has 2 other added benefits. You'll get an additional 100 cartel coins every month and you'll have access to the special security key vendor which has some unique stuff and cheap fleet passes to transport you to the fleet if you've already used your skill which has a 16 hour cooldown.

PatDH

Here's a tip, if you have an android or ios phone, you should download the free security app for SWTOR. It will mean having to put in a unique number every time you log in but your account will be hack proof and it has 2 other added benefits. You'll get an additional 100 cartel coins every month and you'll have access to the special security key vendor which has some unique stuff and cheap fleet passes to transport you to the fleet if you've already used your skill which has a 16 hour cooldown.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Will set that up tomorrow :)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

just for subscribers or for everyone?

Sorian

Banned
just for subscribers or for everyone?

It's actually currently just for subs. There are plans to add it in for everyone soon.

Protip: Once it is on your account, they do not remove it. So put it on when you are a sub and if you lapse into f2p, it'll still be linked. (No cartel coin monthly allotment if you aren't a sub tho).

It's actually currently just for subs. There are plans to add it in for everyone soon.

Protip: Once it is on your account, they do not remove it. So put it on when you are a sub and if you lapse into f2p, it'll still be linked. (No cartel coin monthly allotment if you aren't a sub tho).
You sure? I was getting 100 a month with the key and I was preferred. Unless it was because I was a former sub but I don't think that matters.

Sorian

Banned
You sure? I was getting 100 a month with the key and I was preferred. Unless it was because I was a former sub but I don't think that matters.

One of us must have bugged then. I was preferred for two months and my key wasn't getting me 100 a month.

with my luck, I'm sure it was me

PatDH

Been looking forward to playing this all day lol. 1.5 hours of work left then i'm home free. Focus on doing some side quests tonight I think.

What's the Empire GAF guild on Jedi Covenant? Just got my Mara to Lv25 today.

I'd like to join the Republic GAF guild too once I get a character up and running (might be a Sage). Sadly my lvl 50 JK is on another server (Shadowlands). :(

Cystm

What's the Empire GAF guild on Jedi Covenant? Just got my Mara to Lv25 today.

I'd like to join the Republic GAF guild too once I get a character up and running (might be a Sage). Sadly my lvl 50 JK is on another server (Shadowlands). :(

Empire GAF is no more. Most GAFers are in different Guilds on the Imperial Side.

GAF is primarily on the Republic.

Forz

In a moment of boredom I decided to finally give this game a try. I'm having a tough time deciding what class to play. I had heard the Imperial Agent had the best story, but I want to be republic so I'm thinking of going with a Smuggler instead. Trooper also looks fun but I've heard the story is a bit of a bore.

I plan on playing really casually. Is it worth it to throw $20 in and get preferred status and the Going Places bundle?

def sim

Huh

I thought we had to pay for this. I'll check this out tomorrow evening, thanks.

StudioTan

In a moment of boredom I decided to finally give this game a try. I'm having a tough time deciding what class to play. I had heard the Imperial Agent had the best story, but I want to be republic so I'm thinking of going with a Smuggler instead. Trooper also looks fun but I've heard the story is a bit of a bore.

I plan on playing really casually. Is it worth it to throw $20 in and get preferred status and the Going Places bundle?

Smuggler is awesome. The story is filled with humour, it's very much in the Han Solo vein. I enjoy being a smartass. Gunslinger is a lot of fun to play at end game, especially with the new skills they just added. Scoundrel is fun too since you can go heals or stealth DPS.

Yes, I would get the bundle, it'll make your life easier being preferred. However you might consider just subbing for a month which will also make you preferred if you unsub and you'll get 500 coins anyway which will get you the cheaper Going Places bundle.

Huh

I thought we had to pay for this. I'll check this out tomorrow evening, thanks.

The physical key costs money but the app is free for those with android and ios.

Heysoos

Trooper - Starts out pretty strong but slows down during the 2nd chapter, picks up during 3rd.
Consular - Starts out EXTREMELY slow, somewhat picks up in the late 2nd and going into the 3rd chapter. It's a really slow burn, though it is somewhat satisfying, IMO.
Smuggler - Pretty consistent throughout, though to me the story felt a bit disjointed for some reason. It's fun though.
Knight - Standard Hero of the Galaxy, KOTOR hero type story, pretty solid through all 3 chapters.

Personally, if I had to rate the republic stories I'd say
Knight
Trooper (Elara Dorne bumps Trooper above Smuggler.) <3 Elara.
Smuggler
Consular

I'm not sure what the Going Places bundle offers, but if you can throw in a few bucks, I'd say preferred status would make a difference.

Forz

Thanks for the tips. I usually do a bunch of reading before starting a game but this time I'm going in blind. I have a suave cyborg smuggler for now.

As for the going places bundle, I saw it mentioned a few pages back and I think I was wowed by all the legacies it gave you, despite actually knowing what any of them do.

Empire GAF is no more. Most GAFers are in different Guilds on the Imperial Side.

GAF is primarily on the Republic.

Ah I see, thanks. Looks like I should get to work on a Shadow/Sage for the Republic soon then. Hopefully tomorrow.

BTW do you know what the main guild is (if any) on the Imperial side?

Draxal

Trooper - Starts out pretty strong but slows down during the 2nd chapter, picks up during 3rd.
Consular - Starts out EXTREMELY slow, somewhat picks up in the late 2nd and going into the 3rd chapter. It's a really slow burn, though it is somewhat satisfying, IMO.
Smuggler - Pretty consistent throughout, though to me the story felt a bit disjointed for some reason. It's fun though.
Knight - Standard Hero of the Galaxy, KOTOR hero type story, pretty solid through all 3 chapters.

Personally, if I had to rate the republic stories I'd say
Knight
Trooper (Elara Dorne bumps Trooper above Smuggler.) <3 Elara.
Smuggler
Consular

I'm not sure what the Going Places bundle offers, but if you can throw in a few bucks, I'd say preferred status would make a difference.

I think I'd go

Smuggler (all 3 acts are pretty solid); only thing is the healer companion is really really annoying (Elara/Doc are much much much better).
Knight (first act is kinda weak, 2 and 3 are strong).
Trooper (first act is really strong, 2 and 3 are bad); it's my main character though has the best looking armor overall in the game.
Consular (first act is bad, second act is the worst in the game republic side (haven't tried the imps but I doubt anything is bad a this act, third act is good but not enough to make up for the first two).

StudioTan

Thanks for the tips. I usually do a bunch of reading before starting a game but this time I'm going in blind. I have a suave cyborg smuggler for now.

As for the going places bundle, I saw it mentioned a few pages back and I think I was wowed by all the legacies it gave you, despite actually knowing what any of them do.

There are 2 bundles, one is the basic bundle which is worth it just for rocket boost at a cost of 375 CCs. The other one costs 2,150 and while it does have useful stuff some of it isn't useful until end game and/or can be purchased with credits. Personally I think going with the Going Places Basic and Preferred Access bundles would be better....or subbing for a month which gives you all the stuff in the Preferred Access Bundle and using your free coins to get the Going Places Basic Bundle.

Wallach

I went with Smuggler too. It's not bad, though I would have to say it's only about as good as the worst one on the Imp side (BH). I'm the kind of guy who much prefers the neutral element of those two classes to the Force/faction related crap, but it is what it is. IA is worlds better than anything else in SWTOR.

hamchan

Started playing again just because I want to see the whole IA storyline. Any recommendations for purchases to make the leveling process more bearable or is being a preferred player enough if I just want to see story.

Started playing again just because I want to see the whole IA storyline. Any recommendations for purchases to make the leveling process more bearable or is being a preferred player enough if I just want to see story.

Getting preferred status gives lot of nice unlocks so it's worth getting whatever. Travel bonuses like getting mounts quicker, rocket boost, etc all also come in handy with the leveling.

Try to join a guild also, always can get help from guilds and being in one gives a basic passive 5% xp boost as well.

StudioTan

Details are sketchy right now because of translations so take it with a grain of salt but a German fansite is reporting that server transfers are coming 6-8 weeks after 2.1.

Top Bottom