• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

Name changes as well, that will be nice. Hopefully gender changes too... Been wanting to change Yooni's name and gender.

:lol

Why would you change your name? It's like your badge! (Though I guess the reference is indeed dated) That's what everyone will call you no matter what you do, anyway. I was still "Kruul" even after name change and regardless of character.

I have it on my Rauder too, and be forewarned: it's terrible. You won't get many crits since Warrior has no slicing buff.

Doesn't really matter, most characters have no slicing crit buff. The highest companion slicing crit buff is 2%

If you got slicing you should aways send the companions you don't use out on the highest slicing tech part misisons. It's easy money.

Milly79

Why would you change your name? It's like your badge! (Though I guess the reference is indeed dated) That's what everyone will call you no matter what you do, anyway. I was still "Kruul" even after name change and regardless of character.

I'm okay with that, I just kinda want to get away from it. :p

Maybe I'll fool some people.

Cystm

ibvTi9jNH43kWB.gif

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Probably more around mid to late May. 2.0 just hit few weeks ago and the updates are supposed to be 6-8 weeks apart.

Dulfy said that there will be a shorter gap for this patch, 5-7 weeks was what she was told by the devs. So if they count 2.0 as launching when early access started then we're looking at maybe 2 weeks?

Dulfy said that there will be a shorter gap for this patch, 5-7 weeks was what she was told by the devs. So if they count 2.0 as launching when early access started then we're looking at maybe 2 weeks?
Hopefully they put it up on the PTS soon unless they're treating it like 1.7.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Alright, GAF, I'm downloading!!

Let's do this.

So all I care about is being a Storm Trooper. What do I need to know?

There isn't really a Stormtrooper class since those didn't exist during this time period. The closest would be a Trooper but they're Republic, not Imperial. Bounty Hunter, although it's a mirror class to Troopers, is more like Boba Fett in terms of weaponry. They doen't really work for the Imperials per se, they're mercenaries, but they are an Imperial faction and you'll be doing all the Imperial quests. Troopers are typical soldier types.

So it depends on what you want to do.

There isn't really a Stormtrooper class since those didn't exist during this time period. The closest would be a Trooper but they're Republic, not Imperial. Bounty Hunter, although it's a mirror class to Troopers, is more like Boba Fett in terms of weaponry. They doen't really work for the Imperials per se, they're mercenaries, but they are an Imperial faction and you'll be doing all the Imperial quests. Troopers are typical soldier types.

So it depends on what you want to do.

So let me ask this: is there any blatant skew in population towards either Imperial or Republic? At this point in the games life, does it even matter?

I don't play a lot of MMO's, but I don't like to roll on the side that has a large advantage in population.

Khronico

Is TOR still a extremely unfriendly game to free players? The reason I stopped playing quickly after it went f2p is the ridiculous amount of cut content/content behind paywall, it felt like more of a demo than anything else.

StudioTan

So let me ask this: is there any blatant skew in population towards either Imperial or Republic? At this point in the games life, does it even matter?

I don't play a lot of MMO's, but I don't like to roll on the side that has a large advantage in population.

It depends on the server however the devs have stated they are almost equal overall. However it really only affects you if you're going to PVP where some servers have very strong imperial pvpers but weaker republic ones and vice versa. If you're worried about population for questing then don't worry about which side you choose there are plenty of people on both sides. Just play what you like. :)

Is TOR still a extremely unfriendly game to free players? The reason I stopped playing quickly after it went f2p is the ridiculous amount of cut content/content behind paywall, it felt like more of a demo than anything else.

There is no cut content except some end game stuff that needs to be unlocked via coins. What they restrict you on is stuff like matching your armour colour to your chest piece, how many times you can resurrect in the field, how many flashpoints you can do a week etc but most importantly XP gain so you're basically forced to do all the quests available to you. However what a lot of people don't realize is that all these unlocks can be found for sale on the GTN (auction house) so as long as you're making credits you can go totally free with very few restrictions. The only one you can't currently get around is the credit cap.

EDIT: I would highly recommend at least spending 5 bucks to get preferred status however. If you were ever a subscriber in the past then you're already preferred.

Holy jesus the production values for this game are through the roof. It's pretty obvious they bet the bank on this game. Very impressive.

So I almost immediately threw them 30 bucks for 60 days.

Went with Bounty Hunter. Gotta be evil. For the Horde!

Ugh... I never really had a chance to run Terror From Beyond when it came out nor have I had a chance to get into Scum and Villainy since release and now that I have some time to get into them, no one actually wants to bring me in because it seems every group that forms stipulates that you must know the fights already (I've read about them but haven't actually got in to see them first hand) and no one seems to want to help someone learn. I can't ever seem to get a group finder TFB or S&V because it is usually just a revolving door of someone leaving and the group never getting off the ground. So incredibly frustrating, especially cause both of my main characters are an Elite / Aug'd geared combat medic and Elite / Aug'd geared Guardian tank... fairly sought after positions.

Unfortunately, most of my guild took off and haven't come back or don't want to do stuff like this even though they said they did so I suppose I could start looking for another guild again that would bring someone new in but I seem to have bad luck with some of the guilds I talk to and they don't want to "abandon" or "replace" the regular ops members with someone new.

This game is fantastic, but then I run into this stuff and it just annoys the shit out of me.

That said... I am looking forward to the next patch. Being able to change your armour colour is long, long overdue and I can finally change the hair on my tank!

Cystm

Ugh... I never really had a chance to run Terror From Beyond when it came out nor have I had a chance to get into Scum and Villainy since release and now that I have some time to get into them, no one actually wants to bring me in because it seems every group that forms stipulates that you must know the fights already (I've read about them but haven't actually got in to see them first hand) and no one seems to want to help someone learn. I can't ever seem to get a group finder TFB or S&V because it is usually just a revolving door of someone leaving and the group never getting off the ground. So incredibly frustrating, especially cause both of my main characters are an Elite / Aug'd geared combat medic and Elite / Aug'd geared Guardian tank... fairly sought after positions.

Unfortunately, most of my guild took off and haven't come back or don't want to do stuff like this even though they said they did so I suppose I could start looking for another guild again that would bring someone new in but I seem to have bad luck with some of the guilds I talk to and they don't want to "abandon" or "replace" the regular ops members with someone new.

This game is fantastic, but then I run into this stuff and it just annoys the shit out of me.

Lie. Watch Youtube fights and get in there. It's how I got myself into PUGs on the Bastion server.

StudioTan

Holy jesus the production values for this game are through the roof. It's pretty obvious they bet the bank on this game. Very impressive.

So I almost immediately threw them 30 bucks for 60 days.

Went with Bounty Hunter. Gotta be evil. For the Horde!

Well if you're already impressed then you're in for a treat because IMO Hutta is one of the ugliest planets in the game. They get much nicer and bigger as you go.

That said... I am looking forward to the next patch. Being able to change your armour colour is long, long overdue and I can finally change the hair on my tank!

That unfortunate, which server? I haven't had that issue with PUGs but they usually ask that everyone get into voice chat so I keep TS, Vent and Mumble all installed.

Lie. Watch Youtube fights and get in there. It's how I got myself into PUGs on the Bastion server.

Come on... just because you might not have the same issues I am having doesn't mean it is a lie. Besides, I've watched the fights (that is how I got into Explosive Conflict originally) but things just seem to be a bit different this time around for some reason. Just some back luck with groups, I guess. I think it might just be time for a break.

That unfortunate, which server? I haven't had that issue with PUGs but they usually ask that everyone get into voice chat so I keep TS, Vent and Mumble all installed.

I'm on Jedi Covenant. Never been an issue with the other operations when I started those when they came out, but TFB and S&V seem to be avoiding me. I have all the voice chat stuff installed too as I've used them before. I'm sure I'll get something going at one point, but this is just a bit frustrating.

Cystm

Come on... just because you might not have the same issues I am having doesn't mean it is a lie. Besides, I've watched the fights (that is how I got into Explosive Conflict originally) but things just seem to be a bit different this time around for some reason. Just some back luck with groups, I guess. I think it might just be time for a break.

Oh, haha I am not saying you are lying. I am saying for you to lie to them and tell them you have done the fights before. Just watch the fights (from multiple PoVs) and you should be ok.

Edit: You are on Jedi Covenant? Are you in the GAF guild? Or are you an Imp?

Oh, haha I am not saying you are lying. I am saying for you to lie to them and tell them you have done the fights before. Just watch the fights (from multiple PoVs) and you should be ok.

Edit: You are on Jedi Covenant? Are you in the GAF guild? Or are you an Imp?

Ooooo, I see. Sorry, haha. Everything is going over my head today. I do get your point, though.

Yeah I've been on Covenant ever since the big server merger happened. Used to be Canderous Ordo and got moved over. I'm not in the GAF guild. I didn't even really realize there was one until I saw a few members running around on the fleet. Both my healer and tank are Republic.

I have Sith Marauder at 52 that I am slowly moving up but I focus most of my time on my Republic characters.

Question.

I noticed they have the option to purchase a security key. Normally I would never think of going that far, but then Diablo 3 changed all that (got hacked and lost all my stuff, had to buy a key). Do accounts in this game have a habit of getting hacked into? Or does Blizzard just suck?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

It's not openly hostile until you get to the level cap.

It's probably slightly better now, actually.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Question.

I noticed they have the option to purchase a security key. Normally I would never think of going that far, but then Diablo 3 changed all that (got hacked and lost all my stuff, had to buy a key). Do accounts in this game have a habit of getting hacked into? Or does Blizzard just suck?

It's not as bad as with Blizzard because there's less financial incentive to go break into someone's account to sell all their crap and transfer all the money to a gold farming company/alt. No one really breaks into accounts thinking they're going to keep the account. They do it to finance something else. While there are gold buying services for SWTOR, because of the way the cartel and legacy systems are set up, having a lot of credits on hand doesn't get you much, especially if you're on a free account. Additionally, they turned off logging on via email service, so someone's going to have to know your account name to be able to start hacking.

That being said, I have a security key. I have also been burned through Blizzard. You don't have to buy the physical RSA dongle (I have one because I was one of the CE suckers and one came free in the box)... you can download apps for iPad/iPhone and I think Android, and if you subscribe, it's another 100 cartel bucks per month. It is an extra step for logging in (and, yes you have to use it when getting onto their website, too), but it was worth it to me.

StudioTan

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
spending credits on the gtn to buy escrow transfers so you can spend more credits on the gtn

It's credception

Heysoos

Ooooo, I see. Sorry, haha. Everything is going over my head today. I do get your point, though.

Yeah I've been on Covenant ever since the big server merger happened. Used to be Canderous Ordo and got moved over. I'm not in the GAF guild. I didn't even really realize there was one until I saw a few members running around on the fleet. Both my healer and tank are Republic.

I have Sith Marauder at 52 that I am slowly moving up but I focus most of my time on my Republic characters.

Why don't you hop onto the GAF guild? They have sign ups for Ops groups, plus I think they're setting up another Ops team.

StudioTan

So does the Conqueror and Partisan power relics proc at the same time? Or do they share the same cooldown?

They CAN proc at the same time. You get some BIG hits :p

Would be awesome if they could add in crew skills management into the game offline like Neverwinter does. You can assign tasks to companions from a web browser or phone app.

Would be awesome if they could add in crew skills management into the game offline like Neverwinter does. You can assign tasks to companions from a web browser or phone app.
I remember them saying something like that was on the "wall of crazy" back before launch. Probably got bumped all the way down the list though.

kms_md

I do this using logmein on my phone. My toons are all parked by the CE area where the mail/bank/GTN station is.

StudioTan

So Dulfy mentioned in a reddit thread that there is still one unannounced big feature for 2.1 that will be announced next week and it's not a hood toggle. Not sure what it could be. I'm thinking it'll fit in with the theme of customization though.

I won't get my hopes up for ship decorating :p

Top Bottom