• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

HBroward

Imps win a bunch now, except when Unicorn Stampede is super queing multiple games in a row. Did I say US? I meant Prime Defense. Guess they have to get their wins somehow! It brings me back to the Keller's Void days!

kmz

Neo Member
I haven't been PVPing too much since 2.0 (new PVE is taking up way more time) but I feel like I still win more than I lose, even solo queuing. And most of those losses are to either other Pub teams or Yooni & co. :p

(Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of the wins are against other Pubs too. Too many damn Pubs I guess.)

HBroward

I haven't been PVPing too much since 2.0 (new PVE is taking up way more time) but I feel like I still win more than I lose, even solo queuing. And most of those losses are to either other Pub teams or Yooni & co. :p

(Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of the wins are against other Pubs too. Too many damn Pubs I guess.)

You are a good dps though, you are probably carrying the teams you are on!

Somnia

Well, returning to SWTOR tonight AGAIN lol, I keep coming back and then stuff happens IRL and get pulled away.

Things are finally settled IRL and I'm now in a stable Monday to Friday job after 12 years of retail. Anyways...

How's the GAF pub guild doing? My Sage since I rerolled onto Pub side has a long way to go (only level 15), but it shouldn't take too long to get to cap...

def sim

pvp is pretty much "hope you're on a team otherwise you'll lose!"

it's a shame the community isn't big enough to support a kind of mercenaries mode where you are matched with solo players like some shooters have adapted

hamchan

Bought the Going Places basic bundle from the store to get Rocket Boost. Used the items, can't find Rocket Boost anywhere. Abilities tab has no vehicles section yet, which is where the boost is supposed to be.

I am annoyed. >:-(

Hrm odd, you might need to unlock the vehicle tab by getting high enough level? What level are you? Have you unlocked your legacy as the boos is a legacy unlock.

hamchan

Phew, it seems I just had to log out and then log back in for the vehicle tab to appear. Very weird, happy I actually have the ability!

def sim

I downloaded the security app and authenticated it yesterday and, oh gosh, 1000 credits for a fleet pass is completely worth it. Everyone who hasn't bothered should do it what with being free and all.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Has EA ever said why they're so opposed to server transfers?

They're not, they're opposed to server transfers that don't work properly. The last big test was they opened server transfers for moving a character to the PTS and there were still some bugs. The last word was that they needed to wait until after 2.0 because they had to make sure stuff like achievements moved without a hitch. I don't know why it's so complicated but apparently it is.

Kyari

So how's the PvE situation on any of the gaf guilds? My current guild is too focused on rolling everyone that was fully geared pre-RotHC into hard modes and it is resulting in little or no action for the people who weren't fortuanate enough to be geared to the teeth before 55.

So how's the PvE situation on any of the gaf guilds? My current guild is too focused on rolling everyone that was fully geared pre-RotHC into hard modes and it is resulting in little or no action for the people who weren't fortuanate enough to be geared to the teeth before 55.

Sounds like a fun guild

HBroward

A german fansite said that transfers were coming 6 weeks after 2.1. I would take it with a grain of salt but it is the latest word on the subject.

Mordeccai

I find they've been welcoming. Last night I believe it was we had a new guildie try to help out and tank SV story mode and one of the op leaders said he was fine if he was in mostly 63's. So there is no uber gear elitism there.

Always people willing to run flashpoints to gear up with the black market gear as well. We also have a hub channel with another guild called legendary that you can chime into and ask if anyone is down for pve stuff.

There are ops going on pretty frequently and if the players are competent and using sign ups I'm sure they'd gear up fast.

Jrmint

Noob Sith Inquisitor question:

So I'm really enjoying the class since coming back to the game, but what are the main differences between Lightning and Madness spec? And which is better to level as?

I'm currently level 15 as this class.

Sorian

Banned
To all the people wondering about server transfers. I believe it was insinuated that the forced transfers of the austrailian servers would be the final test to see how their system could handle it and then they would be rolling out a server transfer system that would most likely be tied to the cartel market.

So I'm really enjoying the class since coming back to the game, but what are the main differences between Lightning and Madness spec? And which is better to level as?

I'll field this question since sorc is my main. The general rule of thumb is that lightning will be better for your pve scenarios and madness will be better for your pvp scenarios as far as a dps goes. The same rule can be applied to leveling so if you plan to level with mostly story content, lightning is your best bet.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Some new tidbits about the dyes - http://ootinicast.com/2013/04/dye-modules-in-game-update-2-1/

The disappointing thing is that pieces that you can dye have 2 colours, primary and secondary. There are primary dyes, secondary dyes and combo dyes that have both. You cannot dye both the primary and secondary colours unless you use a combo dye kit (like black + green). I guess because there is only 1 dye slot per armour piece.

Other than that dyes are single use and they work like adding mods. When you pull them out of a piece of armour they are destroyed.

Artifice is the only crew skill that can craft them.

Jrmint

I must be blind because I cannot find the rocket boost on the cartel market. Do I have to buy the get moving pack to get it or can I buy it separately? If so which category is it in?

Heysoos

I must be blind because I cannot find the rocket boost on the cartel market. Do I have to buy the get moving pack to get it or can I buy it separately? If so which category is it in?

Get them from the Legacy window. Under Legacy unlock or something. I forget the exact name.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

Generally, for all classes, the far right spec is oriented toward PVP, CC, and boosts for the bread and butter skills you get early on.

Lightning is your PVE DPS tree and is oriented toward PVE, burst damage, and boosts for later skills and cumulative boosts for powers gained within that tree. Because you have only one DPS tree, it comprehends both single target and AOE damage.

When the game first came out, there was actually a very, very good hybrid build that took you halfway up both Madness and Lightning, and it gave people access to some really nice DOT and CC in addition to burst damage. Bioware later "fixed" this by reordering things because Sorcerors started rolling over people in Huttball.

Draxal

That's cool, glad they made it something unique to a crafting skill and not give it to all like they did with the augment stuff. Arfiticers needed something new after they kinda ruined the crystals for them.

They still can make enchancements, armstech is still by far the worst profession in the game.

Cystm

The color dye system sounds fucking garbage.

So, you can only change either the secondary only or the primary only, and in order to change both you have to work with what ever combo dyes they give you?

Why? Whhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

They still can make enchancements, armstech is still by far the worst profession in the game.

Think they should do a similar thing for them for weapon customizations. Kinda like how various cartel weapons have unique effects applied to them like smoking, electricity. Let armstech make weapon customization mods to add unique looks to weapons.

The color dye system sounds fucking garbage.

So, you can only change either the secondary only or the primary only, and in order to change both you have to work with what ever combo dyes they give you?

Why? Whhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Besides being easier (lazy?) to do since lot of gear is full of portions that you can't change the color of, perhaps to also leave some value in all the gear which can be aquired and made which are identical to one another. Only difference between much of the gear is the color combos, giving people full customization ability of all the colors would make lot of gear completely redundant. Lot of gear is also likely not going to support either primary or secondary options and only let you change one. Right now with color matching in place, it usually only lets you alter the secondary color of an object, and that is often only a tiny part of the item itself.

It's a feature many people will use and enjoy, don't see how it's a waste of time. It's not as extensive as some games, but lot of mmos also don't give you full customization on dyes or even have any dye system at all. Rather have the options at least and not have any control at all. You can also dye individual pieces separate colors and create your own custome looks that get around any of the primary/secondary limits.

Course the worst part of any dye system is the horrible fashion sense many people have and their hideous creations. Guild Wars 2 is full of players that look like a clown exploded all over them. Can't wait for neon hot pink troopers....

Cystm

It's better than nothing, fine. But this is barely not nothing. If you are going to implement new things into the game, at least make it equally comparable to the competition.

Coming over from GW2, this implementation is going to seem like hot garbage. They need to start out doing the competition in the things they are known for. They can, they are a talented group of people.

Is it the engine? Lack of resources or time? Perhaps a "get this out on schedule and come back to it later, time/resources permitting."

I don't know... I am underwhelmed by this implementation. For now at least.

StudioTan

It's better than nothing, fine. But this is barely not nothing. If you are going to implement new things into the game, at least make it equally comparable to the competition.

Coming over from GW2, this implementation is going to seem like hot garbage. They need to start out doing the competition in the things they are known for. They can, they are a talented group of people.

Is it the engine? Lack of resources or time? Perhaps a "get this out on schedule and come back to it later, time/resources permitting."

I don't know... I am underwhelmed by this implementation. For now at least.

Well, I can only speculate but I can tell you, as someone who does this thing constantly, tinting colours can be very tricky. In order to get a nice, natural tint I'll use a variety of different techniques in Photoshop depending on the colour I start with and the colour I want to end up with. Sure, you can throw a colour tint overlay on something but it'll look like garbage most of the time. Like the worst in colourized black and white movies. This becomes worse when something wasn't designed to be tinted, like most of the armour sets in SWTOR. Even GW2, which had armour designed from the beginning to be tinted, can get some really crappy looking results depending on what you're tinting and what colour you want to make it. The shadows get washed out or the highlights all get dulled etc.

So it's possible they went through each piece and had artists hand tint them, which is what they've been doing for match to chest. So they take each piece and do a version with all the primary colour areas matching the dyes, then did the same for secondary. That way they only had to do both for whatever combo dyes they have.

I'll give you an example, I have a black duster right now. What if someone wanted to tint that white? In photoshop that is a really complex task, using multiple adjustment layers, if you want to make it look right.

Milly79

Name changes as well, that will be nice. Hopefully gender changes too... Been wanting to change Yooni's name and gender.

:lol

StudioTan

Name changes as well, that will be nice. Hopefully gender changes too... Been wanting to change Yooni's name and gender.

:lol

They won't do gender. Too many gender specific things in your story, most obviously companion romances.

If they only add features that meet or beat the competition, nothing would ever get added. Sometimes some things just can't be done, for whatever reasons they can't match what another game is doing, but that is not a reason to not attempt something. Heck their f2p implementation has been ass, people pissed all over it compared to what other games have offered, should they have backed off? It's obviously payed off for them. We also got lfg tools even if they aren't as robust as some other games have done.

Rather get new functions and features that can be improved on than nothing at all. I want a dual spec function, I don't care if it's not as seamless or meets the functionality of a certain other game, but I want the basic function in the game. If they can add to it and make it better, then great.

Milly79

They won't do gender. Too many gender specific things in your story, most obviously companion romances.

Yeah, but when is new story coming? If you're done with everything, it shouldn't matter. They refer to my Agent as "sir" anyway, so yeah... I hope they consider it!

HBroward

Honestly what I want most is for a crafter to be able to make an item that when applied to an armor piece makes it BoL. That would make my day.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
All the money is in slicing

Really? Did they buff slicing again? Last time I played it was barely worth it. I still have slicing on my marauder though.

I just hate that Biochem provides a reusable stim that's just too huge to ignore as an avid PvPer.

Really? Did they buff slicing again? Last time I played it was barely worth it. I still have slicing on my marauder though.

I just hate that Biochem provides a reusable stim that's just too huge to ignore as an avid PvPer.

Slicing has been good for a long time, since they added augment kits. And now with the expansion it's even more so. It's all about getting the purple mats for augment kits by sending your crew skills. I've been doing well with just one character, it's a slow process but it's a good flow of money. A guildy has multiple characters all doing nothing but running gathering augment components slicing missions and reselling them. Since Makeb launched hes made more than 15mil creds.

Thermal regulators are big money

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Slicing has been good for a long time, since they added augment kits. And now with the expansion it's even more so. It's all about getting the purple mats for augment kits by sending your crew skills. I've been doing well with just one character, it's a slow process but it's a good flow of money. A guildy has multiple characters all doing nothing but running gathering augment components slicing missions and reselling them. Since Makeb launched hes made more than 15mil creds.

Thermal regulators are big money

So which missions do you want to send your companions on?

Milly79

So which missions do you want to send your companions on?

Tech slicing parts or whatever. There are only 4 of them, so I'd make sure you get all of them by zoning in and out of your ship.

I have it on my Rauder too, and be forewarned: it's terrible. You won't get many crits since Warrior has no slicing buff.

You will get a lot of the blue parts, so go ahead and start making the blue augments. They're only 2 endurance, 4 main stat off of the purples and are hella cheap to make/buy.

HBroward

Tech slicing parts or whatever. There are only 4 of them, so I'd make sure you get all of them by zoning in and out of your ship.

I have it on my Rauder too, and be forewarned: it's terrible. You won't get many crits since Warrior has no slicing buff.

You will get a lot of the blue parts, so go ahead and start making the blue augments. They're only 2 endurance, 4 main stat off of the purples and are hella cheap to make/buy.

Only the bountiful and rich tech part missions drop the Thermal regulators, don't bother running the others, just run rich lockbox missions to try to get 450 slicing missions, sell the other missions for tons of credits on the GTN.

That is actually a change crafting system wide with 2.0. Only bountiful and rich missions drop the rare mats now, you can't get them from Abundant and down. Keep that in mind when running Bio missions, when you rage at not getting the good mats you want. It can also be exploited to avoid the shitty blue mats from scavenging and archeology that have no use, which come from the high missions.

I don't feel like they did a good job communicating that change, I only know because I saw a dev tracker post around the launch of 2.0.

Heysoos

Speaking of slicing, I haven't done exact math, but the drop rate for 450 purple slicing mission drops seems to be really fucking low. I've gotten TONS of UT, TH, Bio, Diplomacy, etc etc. But only ONE slicing discovery mission.

Top Bottom