• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

HBroward

I think it may be separate gear and appearance tabs. So you can keep one look while changing your pvp and pve gear out. Actually not even having to change gear out. That would be cool.

bengraven

Fucking son of a bitch!

Friend and I decide to replay the game from lvl 1 together, so I delete an old lvl 11 Chiss BH and decide to remake him.

1) you have to fucking buy Chiss now
2) you have to be lvl 10 to talk to people?

So I just threw that shit away for no reason.

Fucking son of a bitch!

Friend and I decide to replay the game from lvl 1 together, so I delete an old lvl 11 Chiss BH and decide to remake him.

1) you have to fucking buy Chiss now
2) you have to be lvl 10 to talk to people?

So I just threw that shit away for no reason.
1) You can purchase the Chiss unlock from the GTN using credits. It may cost over 100k depending on your server. Yes species being locked for F2P players sucks but what can you do.

2) Well you can't whisper or talk in general chat until 10. It's to stop credit (gold) farmers from spamming. It works but sucks for legitimate players.

I think it may be separate gear and appearance tabs. So you can keep one look while changing your pvp and pve gear out. Actually not even having to change gear out. That would be cool.

Separate gear tabs would be nice but in a way should also go in with dual spec. Would be nice to have for quick changes from pve to pvp gear though

I need a quick rundown on Crew Skills. I have no idea what I should be doing with these. Keep in mind I've never been a huge crafter in these types of games (farming mats bores me)... but if it's worthwhile for my character I'll do it.

Or should just go all gathering skills and sell the stuff for straight profit?

Sorian

Banned
I need a quick rundown on Crew Skills. I have no idea what I should be doing with these. Keep in mind I've never been a huge crafter in these types of games (farming mats bores me)... but if it's worthwhile for my character I'll do it.

Or should just go all gathering skills and sell the stuff for straight profit?

If you want a little profit base, I would go armstech, armormech, or synthweaving. Then do slicing as your first gathering skill and go the primary gathering skill for the one of three you choose earlier (archaeology for synthweaving and scavenging for arms and armor, I think?). Once you have everything leveled out, slicing mats can be sold for straight profit or you can save up and use your skill to make augments which there will always be a market for.

Zafir

I'd say it's more like jewels I guess. Except there isn't different types of slots, and you can only have one slot per item.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Blog about the new Collections system for 2.1.

http://swtor.crystal-dreams.us/?p=3014

Basically, when you collect an item on a character you can make unlimited copies of it. You can even delete it and get it back later. For a CC fee (between 60 and 600 CCs depending on the rarity of the item) you can unlock it for your entire account....not per server, entire account.

SWTOR_Collection_01.png

EDIT: I'm still unsure whether collections include in-game drops or just cartel market items.

Blog about the new Collections system for 2.1.

http://swtor.crystal-dreams.us/?p=3014

Basically, when you collect an item on a character you can make unlimited copies of it. You can even delete it and get it back later. For a CC fee (between 60 and 600 CCs depending on the rarity of the item) you can unlock it for your entire account....not per server, entire account.

EDIT: I'm still unsure whether collections include in-game drops or just cartel market items.
That's actually pretty damn cool. Now I want to know if this applies to the cartel market items off the GTN. Say if I purchase the entire Eradicator suit off the GTN, would I be able to add it to my collections? Hopefully we get an answer on that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That's actually pretty damn cool. Now I want to know if this applies to the cartel market items off the GTN. Say if I purchase the entire Eradicator suit off the GTN, would I be able to add it to my collections? Hopefully we get an answer on that.

Yeah, it does. Basically once it's bound to you it's added to your collection for that character and you can pay to unlock it on your entire account. What it'll be great for is freeing up cargo hold space. I have 3 1/2 bays with nothing but armour lol.

EDIT: Hmm, I guess it doesn't mention the GTN in the article, I guess I just inferred it when he said it was added once it was bound to your character. I wonder how it'll work for items that don't bind like the healing items?

EDIT 2: Looks like it's confirmed to be for Cartel items only, hopefully they expand it later to include rare (non-gear) drops from Ops and stuff.

HBroward

This is pretty cool though, it's basically the next best thing to having everything on the store bound to legacy. Sure, it costs CC's, but we didn't even have this ability prior, I think it's a great change. All my characters can rock a Revan mask now.

StudioTan

So another cartel market related feature? Yea this has gotten ridiculous.

It may be bad timing considering they just had a paid expansion but they've been pretty clear that vanity stuff is going to be cartel related, so an entire patch devoted to vanity is going to have a lot of cartel stuff. I'm sure they have other content in the pipeline that will be released as part of a regular patch.

It may be bad timing considering they just had a paid expansion but they've been pretty clear that vanity stuff is going to be cartel related, so an entire patch devoted to vanity is going to have a lot of cartel stuff. I'm sure they have other content in the pipeline that will be released as part of a regular patch.

It's just a bad showing on their part, they put out a content update that every single aspect is tied to the cartel market. People expect to be getting content as part of their subscription, and making the excuse they have that they take into consideration the monthly allotment of coins is paper thin. You keep adding cartel market tied features while not increasing amount of cartel coins being given to subscribers? That's lame in that it's diluting the worth of our cartel coins. They say we can buy the cathar with our monthly coins, cool, but then we got no coins to use all the other features being added, forcing us to pay more money. And of course when 2.1 hits, we are likely going to be seeing the new cartel pack being added too and whatever else is added.

But not adding any new content either is going to rub alot of people wrong. At least some of the dye system and the collection system will have some use for some folks even without spending cartel coins, but they really should have been smarter about this and put in a requested feature and not hold it at bay with the cash shop.

StudioTan

It's just a bad showing on their part, they put out a content update that every single aspect is tied to the cartel market. People expect to be getting content as part of their subscription, and making the excuse they have that they take into consideration the monthly allotment of coins is paper thin. You keep adding cartel market tied features while not increasing amount of cartel coins being given to subscribers? That's lame in that it's diluting the worth of our cartel coins. They say we can buy the cathar with our monthly coins, cool, but then we got no coins to use all the other features being added, forcing us to pay more money. And of course when 2.1 hits, we are likely going to be seeing the new cartel pack being added too and whatever else is added.

But not adding any new content either is going to rub alot of people wrong. At least some of the dye system and the collection system will have some use for some folks even without spending cartel coins, but they really should have been smarter about this and put in a requested feature and not hold it at bay with the cash shop.

*shrug* It doesn't bother me, I don't usually spend my coins on stuff from the shop anyway, I mostly buy it from the GTN. I have almost 2000 coins in my account at the moment.

If they start charging for PVE/PVP content then I'll get upset (aside from Makeb of course which was worth the cost), but none of the stuff in this patch is necessary to play the game, it's all fluff, and I can guarantee than it wasn't the WZ/FP/Ops teams that were working on this. I expected a content lull after the expansion anyway.

Sorian

Banned
Agreed, as long as they stick to their promise that the cartel market is meant for cosmetic things only then I don't mind. Makeb was an expansion and, as such, they are allowed to charge (and it was cheap all things considered).

Draxal

I think just focusing on the Cartel Shop all the time is going to make their reputation even worse. But then again, they probably thought their rep already hit rock bottom.

Oh well, as long as they keep on pumping out content I can't complain too much, (i'm still not very happy about this endgame right now).

Sorian

Banned
I think just focusing on the Cartel Shop all the time is going to make their reputation even worse. But then again, they probably thought their rep already hit rock bottom.

Oh well, as long as they keep on pumping out content I can't complain too much, (i'm still not very happy about this endgame right now).

I'm not calling you out, just honestly curious. What do you think is lacking in end game and what do you think could be added?

I'm sure they have something content-wise in 2.2. Considering 2.1 is mainly customization stuff I would have to hope that they have some big stuff planned for 2.2.

The only bad part about that is the wait.

Draxal

I'm not calling you out, just honestly curious. What do you think is lacking in end game and what do you think could be added?

Well, just compare it to Wow's endgame right now.

Old Republic its mainly 4 hard mode flashpoints and 2 ops (I don't count the previous ones due to the bug with group finder), with some dailies (Makeb). Plus the Droid/Telescope thingie.

Wow at Pandaria launch had 2 raids (3 technically but about 2 raids worth of content); 2 different levels of end game instances (challenge and heroic mode); scenarios (insta q ... something old republic needs an insta q for dime a dozen dps); dailies, and professional stuff equivalent to Droid/Telescope + Pet battles.

The droid/scope is a step in the right direction, but compared to Wow's end game it's just pretty barebones.

Wow realized that their end game was pretty stagnant and added scenarios/challenge mode/pet battle; while Tor just cut their end game instances down to a 1/3 and only adding the droid/telescope thing (I don't enjoy it, but I admire them trying something new).

Well, just compare it to Wow's endgame right now.

Old Republic its mainly 4 hard mode flashpoints and 2 ops (I don't count the previoius ones due to the bug with group finder), with some dailies (Makeb). Plus the Droid/Telescope thingie.

Wow at Pandaria launch had 2 raids; 2 different levels of end game instances (challenge and heroic mode); scenarios (insta q ... something old republic needs an insta q for dime a dozen dps); dailies, and professional stuff equivalent to Droid/Telescope + Pet battles.

The droid/scope is a step in the right direction, but compared to Wow's end game it's just pretty barebones.

A 40$ expansion to a game with 11 mil players being compared to a 10$ expansion which is nothing more than a content pack really? It's obvious Makeb was not going to match the same level of content as wow with this small expansion. At the same time compare it to the MASSIVE gap before Pandas in which WoW got jack shit when it came to content. Yea they wasted over 8-9 months with no real content to then pay $40 to get the content you mention.

In a little over a year they have added 3 excellent raids to the game and been moving along fairly briskly with gear progression as well.

As long as they keep going with releasing new stuff on a regular basis, I think the end game is in fine shape.

They can add more variety of stuff to do, which they did move towards with the seeker and macrobinoculars. For $10 ROTHC was quite a bit of content. Game has only been out for a bit over a year, they got growing to do. WoW has been round a long time and they just recently really started to finally expand on their end game beyond that standard. But without waiting and releasing a big paid for expansion, the game is going to go through with content trickling in. We might get new flashpoints and other content, but it's going to be bit by bit.

Draxal

A 40$ expansion to a game with 11 mil players being compared to a 10$ expansion which is nothing more than a content pack really? It's obvious Makeb was not going to match the same level of content as wow with this small expansion. At the same time compare it to the MASSIVE gap before Pandas in which WoW got jack shit when it came to content. Yea they wasted over 8-9 months with no real content to then pay $40 to get the content you mention.

In a little over a year they have added 3 excellent raids to the game and been moving along fairly briskly with gear progression as well.

As long as they keep going with releasing new stuff on a regular basis, I think the end game is in fine shape.

They can add more variety of stuff to do, which they did move towards with the seeker and macrobinoculars. For $10 ROTHC was quite a bit of content. Game has only been out for a bit over a year, they got growing to do. WoW has been round a long time and they just recently really started to finally expand on their end game beyond that standard.

Old Republic isn't competing against 2006/7 Wow it's competing against 2013 Wow. The expansion was stupid in that it basically made doing the older ops/fps useless like they do in a Wow expansion without adding enough new ones to compensate for it.

End Game Old Republic hasn't added anything fundamentally new besides the macrobinoculars (seeker droid is exactly like archaelogy from Wow); and it's a problem because Wow is facing the same exact issue, it's core raid based gameplay or battleground/warzone gameplay is just extremely dated right now. They really didn't do anything to change the formula.

It's a problem, when not all Tor players are ex wow players; however a good number of them are, this end game is just old hat to me. Blizzard desperately tried to change the formula, tor didn't.

I really think they need the space thing revamp asap.

Draxal

SWTOR will never be competing with WoW, that ship long sailed.

I don't think it can compete, but giving a carbon copy of Wow's end game wouldn't have been my strategy, because it deemphasizes Tor's strengths (the story is 100000000000 times better in Old Republic) and the universe (space should have a much stronger influence in end game). Eve was able to craft a niche due to its uniqueness; I just don't think Tor capitalized on it's IP strong enough in end game.

Giolon

Ew. That got pretty old. A new WZ would be nice, and some balancing...

The devs did tell us at the SF Cantina event that a new WZ would be coming right after RotHC. I assumed that meant the following patch, but I guess now we know it'll be at least 2.2 before we see it.

I don't think it can compete, but giving a carbon copy of Wow's end game wouldn't have been my strategy, because it deemphasizes Tor's strengths (the story is 100000000000 times better in Old Republic) and the universe (space should have a much stronger influence in end game). Eve was able to craft a niche due to its uniqueness; I just don't think Tor capitalized on it's IP strong enough in end game.

They are going to be stuck for a while doing more of the same as it's what players kind of expect. New stuff is nice of course, and hope they continue to expand on that. What I would like more than anything is to take focus off endgame in general for more general game functionality, give players other stuff to do instead of putting everything at end or gating it behind a pay wall. The seeker and macrobinoc stuff for example requires the purchase of the expansion. Alternate leveling up activities for player alts would be great. Events should also take a cue from GW2 in which they scale for players. The gree event was nice, but it was pretty much for players at endgame. What about the Rackghoul event we had which did have scaling involved and gave lower levels something to do?

But as it is things will continue as is with trickles of new features and content, and they are going to be stuck with constantly having to feed the pvp and pve progression parts, all while there being demand for continued story expansion and so many other countless features. I wouldn't mind raids being dropped in favor of more frequent content in the form of more flashpoints which are far more accessible to all. But yea I'm sure that wouldn't be popular with certain folks.

Top Bottom