• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Not sure what is with the servers for downloading the game now. A couple of months ago I was getting 1.6mb/s. Now I'm getting 250-300kb/s :/
The speeds seem to fluctuate a lot recently. Lots of people getting low speeds one day then come back the next to see they're getting much higher speeds. It's really weird.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
No one posted the dye trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNjUSIEkFuI

It's really short but my girlfriend will be happy that they have pink dye AND they showed off a new long hair styles for females. I also think that shade of blonde is new too. Cathar also look cool.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Are females the only ones getting new hair styles or will males get some too?

I would assume both but we don't know. They had mentioned new styles being available when the appearance change went live with more styles to be added in the future. I just know my gf was always complaining because all the female styles were short or up-dos.

Kyari

I would assume both but we don't know. They had mentioned new styles being available when the appearance change went live with more styles to be added in the future. I just know my gf was always complaining because all the female styles were short or up-dos.

The reason for that is pretty clear in that trailer; long hair turns into a clipping mess.

BTW if anyone here plays on Shadowlands let me know.. Ive been playing a lot the past few months..

Currently have:
55 Jugg
50 Knight
43 Consular
41 Operative
42 Powertech
30 trooper
20 Sorc

Those are my toons above 20 currently.. Been playing the Operative for the most part the last few weeks.. only started him 2 weeks ago hehehe. Playing lots and lots of PVP

I have a lvl 50 Sentinel on there but haven't played him in months.

Qvoth

i think i'm going to try this game out, the server you guys are in is the jedi covenant eastcoast pve server i assume?
at least that's what is written above the gaf players list in OP

i think i'm going to try this game out, the server you guys are in is the jedi covenant eastcoast pve server i assume?
at least that's what written above the gaf players list in OP
You are correct. The GAF guild is on the Republic side. There is an Imperial guild but it currently is an alt guild for the Republic guild.

Heysoos

Yep, the GAF guild is on Jedi Covenant Republic side. We have an imp guild for alts, though it tends to be empty. If you would like to go Imp side, I'd suggest against joining our imp alt guild.

StudioTan

can i pause the patch and shutdown my computer? or do i need to finish downloading the patch in 1 go?

You can stop it any time, it'll resume from where it was.

Qvoth

just found out free players only have access to 3 races... any actual differences between them other than aesthetics?

Giolon

just found out free players only have access to 3 races... any actual differences between them other than aesthetics?

Each race has a unique social ability for flavor, but it has no bearing on combat or power. FWIW, Subscribers don't have complete free-association of characters either w/o unlocking them. Certain races can only be used w/ certain classes and factions until you unlock w/ credits, Legacy or cartel.

Qvoth

man this download is slow
i usually get 500kbps speeds with steam downloads, am getting 100-200 only with this game

Yep, the GAF guild is on Jedi Covenant Republic side. We have an imp guild for alts, though it tends to be empty. If you would like to go Imp side, I'd suggest against joining our imp alt guild.

You guys still fairly active? I'm currently on Bastion, and all my friends who I've tried to get to play have flaked out on me. Game is great though, so I want to keep playing.... preferably with a group.

mileS

question.

Why are 90% of the sniper leveling builds posted on youtube and random sites complete garbage? I'm sorry but that SWTORDominance guy that posts millions of videos sounds like he has no idea what hes saying and just putting points wherever.

I'm not the type that refuses to try builds for myself or anything. I've just been away from the game for a while and I heard the Sniper has been changed here and there so I was looking at the general consensus on the most powerful build for leveling solo.

question.

Why are 90% of the sniper leveling builds posted on youtube and random sites complete garbage? I'm sorry but that SWTORDominance guy that posts millions of videos sounds like he has no idea what hes saying and just putting points wherever.

I'm not the type that refuses to try builds for myself or anything. I've just been away from the game for a while and I heard the Sniper has been changed here and there so I was looking at the general consensus on the most powerful build for leveling solo.
Unforunately there doesn't seem to be an Elitist Jerks or Icy Veins equivalent for SWTOR. Lots of people seem to like Noxxic but I always hear that the information on there is usually wrong. I remember Sith Warrior (now MMO Mechanics) used to be the place but that has died a bit.

It's something that I wish someone someday will create a site for something like this. Perhaps an editable wiki would be great. The community needs to step up and get something like this done.

Milly79

question.

I'd just roll engi the entire way. Great AoE damage + the best defense for a sniper.

Cystm

Unforunately there doesn't seem to be an Elitist Jerks or Icy Veins equivalent for SWTOR. Lots of people seem to like Noxxic but I always hear that the information on there is usually wrong. I remember Sith Warrior (now MMO Mechanics) used to be the place but that has died a bit.

It's something that I wish someone someday will create a site for something like this. Perhaps an editable wiki would be great. The community needs to step up and get something like this done.

Noxxic is great. Maybe at launch it was inaccurate, but it's fine now.

Qvoth

how easy is it to respec in this game? like all those other f2p where you need to use real $ item? if so then i really need to start planning with builds and stuff...
i'm thinking of either sentinel or shadow since they use dual lightsaber and dual-bladed lightsaber respectively...

Wallach

how easy is it to respec in this game? like all those other f2p where you need to use real $ item? if so then i really need to start planning with builds and stuff...
i'm thinking of either sentinel or shadow since they use dual lightsaber and dual-bladed lightsaber respectively...

Respec is free for subscribers or some amount of credits (based on your level) for F2P/Preferred accounts. You can't change your advanced class, though.

Qvoth

how many characters can a f2p make in a server?
i'd like to make at least 1 sentinel and 1 shadow if leveling doesn't take too long...

Qvoth

ok thanks for all the replies guys, game finished patching this morning so i'll finally be able to make my character later

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It might be OK for some specs or classes but definitely not all. Its Vanguard tanking rotation is pretty bad, for example.
Yeah, Noxxic has ideas. You can use those ideas or not. Like with Elitist Jerks or any other "theorycrafting" site, you really do have to be able to know what you're reading and be able to analyze the information and decide if it will work for you or if it's out of date for it to do anything for you. If you're a complete beginner, it's pretty useless, or can send you down some wrong paths.

Speaking of Vanguards, I dusted mine off after letting it sit fallow for about a year to see if I wanted to take it to 55. I got the shit kicked out of me by some mobs on Ilum. Guess I need to go refamiliarize myself before I do that again.

kmz

Neo Member
The main thing is their insistence that taunt should be use on cooldown. Outside of maybe one or two specific fights or if you just have absolutely terrible gear, that's ridiculous. Taunts should be reserved for mechanics like tank swaps, aggro resets, etc. And you really shouldn't use your free Explosive Surges immediately after a Storm opener. You have at least a few GCDs (before the buff wears off) to do higher threat moves that then make the free Surges meaningful. Using a energy-free ability at full energy wastes its energy recovery potential. Pre-2.0 this applied to Energy Blast as well but with the new mechanics of Energy Blast giving Absorb, it actually is a good idea to use it even on opening.

Cystm

The main thing is their insistence that taunt should be use on cooldown. Outside of maybe one or two specific fights or if you just have absolutely terrible gear, that's ridiculous. Taunts should be reserved for mechanics like tank swaps, aggro resets, etc. And you really shouldn't use your free Explosive Surges immediately after a Storm opener. You have at least a few GCDs (before the buff wears off) to do higher threat moves that then make the free Surges meaningful. Using a energy-free ability at full energy wastes its energy recovery potential. Pre-2.0 this applied to Energy Blast as well but with the new mechanics of Energy Blast giving Absorb, it actually is a good idea to use it even on opening.

These are meant for new players

The taunt on CD is meant for fresh 55 players looking to get into heroics/raiding, where you will have the hardest time maintaining aggro.

If you are geared, already familiar with your class, your rotation and threat is less of an issue, then you really are not going to need to be looking at a general guide, but more likely a encounter specific guide should you be having any trouble at all. Edit: that stated, I imagine geared players can still glean some useful information from these guides without having to follow them exactly.

I would like to see more advanced guides though for skilled players such as yourself and everyone else here for the most part.

So I assume (hope) that if you buy new character creation customizations, that they are available for use at the character creation screen? Would suck if you buy it and it's only for use on a single character and using the appearance change kiosk. And are the new customization options account unlocks in that sense or just character based?

kmz

Neo Member
If I remember right one of the devs said there'd be tokens given out to subs a day or two after the actual patch.

Top Bottom