• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
SWTOR will never be competing with WoW, that ship long sailed.

Yeah... they pretty much fucked that up with engine selection and the decision to compete feature for feature with the 2007 version of WoW. Maybe if Cataclysm hadn't already been out, it wouldn't have been so obvious how badly they whiffed. With 2.0, they're just getting to some of the bare bones of Cataclysm after WoW has released Pandaria. They really need to stop chasing that dragon's tail. They're never going to get there. They need to consider some better enticements for getting people to want to subscribe.

Anybody have any advice for the Sniper class? I'm having a hard time enjoying him. I like the cover system as a concept, but mechanically it's kind of finicky, and I have a hard time getting engaged in fights that are themselves on the move. I'll be out of range, roll to some new cover, fire a couple shots, then be out of range for the next group of enemies, etc... Then sometimes I'll mis-roll into a cover spot and aggro some enemies I didn't intend to. Sometimes a cover spot will be facing the wrong direction, or blocked or something, forcing me to find new cover.... It's all kind of annoying.

Does my mobile cover shield thingy provide the same amount of protection as physical cover? If so, what's the point of physical cover? Should I even be using it - noting the annoyances with it?

Sort of wish I went with Operative.

Regardless, I'm really enjoying my Assassin I made - much more fluid and interactive in combat - and loving the game as a whole. Glad I decided to download it on a whim.

With sniper you shouldn't have to move much really, always try to pick the best spot to take cover in that you can cover the entire field as much as possible or keep targets in range. The cover indicator should be on that will tell you with the green outline where you would roll to if you did to stop you from drawing wrong aggro. Once a fight starts you shouldn't need to move much though outside of sometimes dodging an aoe attack. A tank companion is good for keeping the enemy away from you, if anything time your first ambush or snipe to go off right after you have sent your companion to attack and get the initial aggro. Once they are after the companion, you can sit back and pick off the enemies with various sniping attcks. Just important thing is to set up before you begin attacking so that all enemies are within you range, which for snipers is a slight bit longer than the other classes. Targets for no reason should be going out of your range unless your bombing them with a knockback, but then you shouldn't be doing that unless you start closer to them.

Any enemy get aggro on you and get close, just use your one cover pulse to push them away, CC them with flash nades, slow them down with leg shots, or hit them with your electric blade to stun em for a while.

kmz

Neo Member
Does my mobile cover shield thingy provide the same amount of protection as physical cover? If so, what's the point of physical cover? Should I even be using it - noting the annoyances with it?

If I remember right the portable shield from "cover in place" has somewhat lower defense compared to natural cover, but I always use "cover in place" anyway. The people to really ask would be Yooni and Trevail though, they're actually good at the class, heh.

Future Plans

Eric Musco said:
Hey everyone,

I wanted to specifically address the concern of “what is a subscriber getting in an all Cartel Market update?” Game Update 2.1 brings a whole lot of customization and convenience features to the game which have been requested for quite some time, such as character name changes etc. As we have stated in the past, we always design systems like this knowing that subscribers will be receiving Cartel Coins each month, and certainly more options for your monthly Cartel Coin grant can’t be a bad thing!

I think the core of some of your frustrations is that you feel like Game Update 2.1 is “eating up a slot” for our regular content cadence, and because of that, you won’t actually be receiving any new content in this “cycle.” I figure the best way to address that is to lay out a bit of a road map of what the next few weeks looks like! This will help especially if you are only looking at what you are getting within one “content cycle.” As I have done in the past, I need to make it clear that everything I am about to say is our current plan and that it is subject to change, but I want to give you as many details as I can! Here is our current plan:

Game Update 2.1 will release on Tuesday, May 14th
Game Update 2.2 will release on Tuesday, June 11th

If you are keeping track and we hit those dates, Game Update 2.2 will releasing 8 weeks and 2 days from the time we released Rise of the Hutt Cartel (so basically around our 8 week cadence that is often referenced). What that means is that even though I can’t yet tell you what is in Game Update 2.2, you are getting two Game Updates within that period. I will say this: Game Update 2.2 has no new Cartel Market features… Also, both of these Game Updates will come with the usual bug fixes, quality of life improvements, etc. which you have come to expect (reference the patch notes for more info).

I know many of you will reserve full judgment until you see what happens over the next few weeks. I hope getting a little bit more information on our timeline will help alleviate your concerns. I have stated before that our Cartel Market and content teams are two very different things internally, which is why we can have these two Game Updates release so close together. Hopefully that provides some insight into our plans!

TLDR – If you’re concerned that Game Update 2.1 is taking up space in our content cadence and only contains Cartel Market stuff, fear not, Game Update 2.2 is coming sooner than you would expect!

-eric

PS – The Gree Enclave wanted me to pass on that they will be returning soon…

Eric Musco said:
Just to clarify, when I say Game Update 2.2 will not have Cartel Market features I mean that it will not be a Game Update which focuses largely around the Cartel Market like Game Update 2.1. That isn't to say that things like new items or a new pack wouldn't be in that update as that is the kind of thing we are adding constantly.

-eric

PS - The Gree Enclave wanted me to also pass on that you will see them before Game Update 2.2...

With sniper you shouldn't have to move much really, always try to pick the best spot to take cover in that you can cover the entire field as much as possible or keep targets in range. The cover indicator should be on that will tell you with the green outline where you would roll to if you did to stop you from drawing wrong aggro. Once a fight starts you shouldn't need to move much though outside of sometimes dodging an aoe attack. A tank companion is good for keeping the enemy away from you, if anything time your first ambush or snipe to go off right after you have sent your companion to attack and get the initial aggro. Once they are after the companion, you can sit back and pick off the enemies with various sniping attcks. Just important thing is to set up before you begin attacking so that all enemies are within you range, which for snipers is a slight bit longer than the other classes. Targets for no reason should be going out of your range unless your bombing them with a knockback, but then you shouldn't be doing that unless you start closer to them.

I guess I should point out that the majority of my annoyances were when I was playing with a couple friends, and they were more or less controlling the flow and pace of the battles. With my setup time, shot timers, ect., I was always feeling two steps behind everybody - hence the range issue I sometimes ran into. I felt most useful during elite and boss fights, where I could setup and really lay down the dps.

I would love a tanking companion, but for now all I have is this annoying tattooed chick who I can't stand to look at. When is the earliest I can replace her? I was kind of surprised to not see companions available in the cartel store.

I guess I should point out that the majority of my annoyances were when I was playing with a couple friends, and they were more or less controlling the flow and pace of the battles. With my setup time, shot timers, ect., I was always feeling two steps behind everybody - hence the range issue I sometimes ran into. I felt most useful during elite and boss fights, where I could setup and really lay down the dps.

I would love a tanking companion, but for now all I have is this annoying tattooed chick who I can't stand to look at. When is the earliest I can replace her? I was kind of surprised to not see companions available in the cartel store.

The companions are connected to each class storyline, so they are all unique for the most part and not generic. The sniper's first companion Kaliyo is a tank, you won't get your 2nd tank which is the melee tank until around lvl 43+ probably. For Kaliyo make sure you have on her ability that increases her threat and not her dps mode ability. Most companions have two abilities that stay passive once on, they are to maximize their role, or to turn them into dps role.

At lower levels I can see the sniper not being as fun in flashpoints or some of the group content, you will often feel like your running out of resources to use your main attacks. I found sniper become amazing at higher levels, but seem kinda meh at the start.

Cystm

We shall see, Musko.

We. Shall. See.

ib2kqiiBrm2Qme.jpg

What's this Gree event? I missed it the first time.

It's for lvl 45+ characters, on Illum. Series of quests where you earn Gree rep that can unlock access to a Gree ship where you get some more quests for a new pet, as well as a raid boss enounter. Some world bosses on Illum itself, as well as some quests in the open PVP part of Illum that are optional. Getting the Gree rep is a main thing about it to get some of the exclusive gear, weapons, pets, and mount.

Recurring event that they kinda just turn on and off... usually around for like 2 weeks and then it goes away for a while till they feel like turning it on again. Supposed to keep recurring throughout the year.

HBroward

I do ponder how this is gonna work with the new level cap. Does it stay the same, or increase? This would be the only thing to light a fire under my ass and get me to level finally.

I have some propane here that would make a great propellant in a decent size fire. Get on that leveling! We can help!

What guild are the Republic GAFers in nowadays? I let my subscription lag, but was thinking about re-upping to play the Hutt Cartel and some warzones with my Gunslinger.

totally disagree.. A good Jugg is a welcome sign when I am playing my Ops healer. I keep his ass alive and he keeps everything trying to touch me taunted/pushed away/ stunned/ etc.

Meh that's pretty much it sadly. Fee like a dope who just stands around to take punishment for the healers. It's just a very boring role to play, and the main issue is that if there is too many tanks or not enough healers to go with them, the group is usually a bust either way. Outside of Huttball, not much fun playing a jug tank in pvp. Have so much more fun with all the other classes in pvp.

Heysoos

I think people are just surprised a GAF guild lasted long. :p Though, the main reason it lasted so much was because we took in a core bunch from other guilds that kept the guild stable throughout it's life.

Cystm

It was pretty rough. Our side seemed out healed and their DPS was competent enough to focus fire.

Thier defense was surprisingly poor.

mileS

It's been a couple months since I last played. I came back and subbed for a month. Leveling was pretty fast and I found a zone or two in I was generally like 4 levels ahead of the recommended level.

I'm reinstalling the game again to level with my friend, but we both don't feel like subbing right now. I guess my question is just how bad IS the -25% xp for free to play? super noticeable? I'm hoping it doesn't involve grinding mobs or anything.

I just remember the f2p restrictions being a little extreme at first, but then I heard they made quite a few changes to them. Its just hard to keep and find any solid information on the current state.

It's been a couple months since I last played. I came back and subbed for a month. Leveling was pretty fast and I found a zone or two in I was generally like 4 levels ahead of the recommended level.

I'm reinstalling the game again to level with my friend, but we both don't feel like subbing right now. I guess my question is just how bad IS the -25% xp for free to play? super noticeable? I'm hoping it doesn't involve grinding mobs or anything.

I just remember the f2p restrictions being a little extreme at first, but then I heard they made quite a few changes to them. Its just hard to keep and find any solid information on the current state.
You really don't grind at all as a F2P account. What the XP decrease basically does is make you do just about everything on a planet such as the bonus series and most of the heroics. It's not really as bad as people make it out to be. I've leveled a Trooper from 1-50 and didn't really find the experience bad but it did take quite a bit longer than a subscriber. Plus this was before they added tons of free xp boosts into missions as you leveled up. Now it should be a little quicker if you use those as you get them. You get about 4-5 1 hour XP boosts total when you're finished with the starting planet.

If you do the flashpoint daily missions, your space missions, and the warzone daily you will be at least one to two levels ahead of the next planet.

so now that I'm preferred status I can no longer mail credits? like not even between my alts? :/

Nope, just have the alt that needs cash list a random item on the GTN for how much money you need and then have the rich one buy it. Takes an hour or so and you lose 6%, but works fine.

Vestal

BTW if anyone here plays on Shadowlands let me know.. Ive been playing a lot the past few months..

Currently have:
55 Jugg
50 Knight
43 Consular
41 Operative
42 Powertech
30 trooper
20 Sorc

Those are my toons above 20 currently.. Been playing the Operative for the most part the last few weeks.. only started him 2 weeks ago hehehe. Playing lots and lots of PVP

Draxal

BTW if anyone here plays on Shadowlands let me know.. Ive been playing a lot the past few months..

Currently have:
55 Jugg
50 Knight
43 Consular
41 Operative
42 Powertech
30 trooper
20 Sorc

Those are my toons above 20 currently.. Been playing the Operative for the most part the last few weeks.. only started him 2 weeks ago hehehe. Playing lots and lots of PVP

Battlemonkey plays imp side on that server, and Studiotan plays rep side. I've been taking a breaking after hitting 55, but also on rep side.

mileS

Not sure what is with the servers for downloading the game now. A couple of months ago I was getting 1.6mb/s. Now I'm getting 250-300kb/s :/

Top Bottom