• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

The end game really is rolling another character. Once you've done that eight times, you've "won SWTOR". I know people want to hit their heads against the raids, world bosses, and grind reputation like this is WoW, but unless you're wanting to craft something cool or want a specific piece of armor for the look, you're really spinning your wheels.

I've read this opinion many times, so for now I'm just going to enjoy the ride to 55.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The end game really is rolling another character. Once you've done that eight times, you've "won SWTOR". I know people want to hit their heads against the raids, world bosses, and grind reputation like this is WoW, but unless you're wanting to craft something cool or want a specific piece of armor for the look, you're really spinning your wheels.

Nah, I don't agree with this at all. I only recently got a second character to 50, just before the expansion came out, and I've been playing pretty much daily since launch, I spend 90% of my time on my main character. There's lot of stuff to do at end game depending on what you enjoy doing. The game may have been thin on end game at launch but it certainly isn't now.

Cystm

:( I feel bad now, had I known you were having issues, I would've logged on and sent you an invite :( And now you're banned from here, so you can't even reply :(

I added him to my friends list to invite him last night, but must have just missed him.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Nah, I don't agree with this at all. I only recently got a second character to 50, just before the expansion came out, and I've been playing pretty much daily since launch, I spend 90% of my time on my main character. There's lot of stuff to do at end game depending on what you enjoy doing. The game may have been thin on end game at launch but it certainly isn't now.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree then. I've also been with the game since before launch and while I've taken a couple of breaks of 2~3 months, and I feel once you've gotten to the daily missions, and ran the story-expansive raids once, you've seen pretty much everything for that character. Makeb is pretty nice, but it doesn't open everything up. For the record, I've got one 55, one 50, one 42, two 39s, and one 22. I've also run a lot of dailies and FPs for the 55 and 50 because the 50 was my "main" back when the game first came out. I will admit that I have limited experience with PvP because it was such a mess at launch and I just didn't want to fiddle with it after that.

ShaneB

I added him to my friends list to invite him last night, but must have just missed him.

Okey dokey, I tried to friend him on Steam too, but looks like he rejected it. Ah well, just hope he is happy is all playing whatever game he likes. :(

Think I might cancel my sub as well. Just haven't been playing much at all lately, and I figure the little I do play would get by on preferred status.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
We're gonna have to agree to disagree then. I've also been with the game since before launch and while I've taken a couple of breaks of 2~3 months, and I feel once you've gotten to the daily missions, and ran the story-expansive raids once, you've seen pretty much everything for that character. Makeb is pretty nice, but it doesn't open everything up. For the record, I've got one 55, one 50, one 42, two 39s, and one 22. I've also run a lot of dailies and FPs for the 55 and 50 because the 50 was my "main" back when the game first came out. I will admit that I have limited experience with PvP because it was such a mess at launch and I just didn't want to fiddle with it after that.

Well as I said, it depends on what you like to do and what you want to accomplish. It sounds like you just wanted to see all the content once and then you were done. That's fine but that seems like an attitude brought from single player games and not MMOs.

People talk about "grinding gear" at end game in most MMOs and this is true but it's really just another form of progressions and MMOs are all about progression. So at end game it becomes a new quest to no longer gain levels but to improve your character with better gear. To that end SWTOR offers many paths to get there, especially now. I admit that I PVP a lot, I love the PVP in this game, so this always gives me something unique to do because PVP matches are always unpredictable. For PVE you have a lot of ways to improve your gear or stats:

Daily quests - there so many now that you don't have to repeat the same ones often (Ilum, Belsavis, Black Hole, Section X, Makeb, GSI ones on Alderaan, Tattooine and Hoth)
Flashpoints
Operations (Story mode, hard mode, nightmare mode) x 8 and 16 man versions

While doing the same FPs and Ops multiple times might be boring for some I feel like the fights are generally fun enough to bear repeating. Especially the new operations.

On top of that I've spent many days hunting datacrons and trying to figure them out on my own. Sure you can find videos and guides but that ruins the fun IMO.

After that you have:

World bosses
Space missions
World events (these are obviously rare but they have given me something new to do every few months when they occur)

Then you have things that don't improve your stats at all that I spend a lot of time doing:

Collecting rare pets
Collecting orange/adaptive gear (including some rare/hard to get stuff)
Collecting rare mounts
Achievement hunting
Rep grind
Gearing companions
Crafting
Buying/selling
and yes leveling alts

So on any given night I have dozens of things that I can do and while yes you need to repeat content there is enough of it now that I don't repeat it often (except PVP). Sometimes I'm doing stuff to improve my characters gear/stats but sometimes I'm just playing dressup and creating different looks. Sometimes I just hang out and goof around with my guild or help noobs or chat with friends. It's all part of playing in a multiplayer game.

Draxal

Well as I said, it depends on what you like to do and what you want to accomplish. It sounds like you just wanted to see all the content once and then you were done. That's fine but that seems like an attitude brought from single player games and not MMOs.

People talk about "grinding gear" at end game in most MMOs and this is true but it's really just another form of progressions and MMOs are all about progression. So at end game it becomes a new quest to no longer gain levels but to improve your character with better gear. To that end SWTOR offers many paths to get there, especially now. I admit that I PVP a lot, I love the PVP in this game, so this always gives me something unique to do because PVP matches are always unpredictable. For PVE you have a lot of ways to improve your gear or stats:

Problem is all that end game stuff has been pretty much done to death in wow or wow clone type mmo. If you are burnt out on the wow type mmo there's really nothing new in this end game. Where I actually think there is potential for new stuff (repeatable story content from the leveling experience made for hard modes/space battles).

StudioTan

Problem is all that end game stuff has been pretty much done to death in wow or wow clone type mmo. If you are burnt out on the wow type mmo there's really nothing new in this end game. Where I actually think there is potential for new stuff (repeatable story content from the leveling experience made for hard modes/space battles).

You can say that about any genre though. I mean how much difference is there between first person shooters or racing games? Genres always have staples, that's part of what defines them.

Also, thankfully, I really didn't like WoW and haven't played it since 2007 when I came back for a month after buying BC. I'm not even sure I ever got a character to max level. This is the most time I've spent on an MMO since SWG and my time there was almost exclusively crafting and socializing. The only other MMO that I played for over a year was Age of Conan but I eventually quit due to the slowness of content updates after the expansion.

Alur

As a dude who is now on his third bare minimum month long break from SWTOR, I've gotta disagree as well. I feel like there's plenty to do, you can't throw on the "it's like WoW endgame" qualification and hold that against it IMO. Of course it's like that, just like WoW was like EQ and so forth and so on. That's how the MMO system works for the most part. Folks should realize that going in and if they don't, shame on them.

Any time the PVE was stale, stepping into PVP was plenty to keep you occupied for however long you were willing to let it. It arguably takes less skill to get started as well, at least in SWTOR. I can't speak for post 50 though, as I haven't even played since it dropped basically.

Draxal

As a dude who is now on his third bare minimum month long break from SWTOR, I've gotta disagree as well. I feel like there's plenty to do, you can't throw on the "it's like WoW endgame" qualification and hold that against it IMO. Of course it's like that, just like WoW was like EQ and so forth and so on. That's how the MMO system works for the most part. Folks should realize that going in and if they don't, shame on them.

Any time the PVE was stale, stepping into PVP was plenty to keep you occupied for however long you were willing to let it. It arguably takes less skill to get started as well, at least in SWTOR. I can't speak for post 50 though, as I haven't even played since it dropped basically.

You definitely can hold the it's like Wow endgame against Tor, because Wow's endgame has certainly evolved and Tor's endgame is pretty much late BC wow. Its current pve endgame is nothing like the vanilla end game pve wise; and that's a direct response from their design team realizing that people just have lost interest in the static pve endgame.

Battleground/Warzone wise it's much healthier imho, just like it's healthier in ToR as that content is always dynamic like fpses/mobas. However, I never have liked the balance in pvp themeparked games like Wow, as the balance is never as tight as a moba (always because of the pve/pvp differential).

I'm not going to begrudge anybody for liking Tor's endgame, but I really do think they dropped the ball.

Cystm

Oh god, I do not know wtf I am doing!

ij3qedu3uTGoW.png

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yo trevin bro remind me to get online and give you back the credits you lent me some time. I've been super busy with school and just haven't had much time to invest in SWTOR, I feel so bad always quittin for awhile with your monies lol.

SWTOR endgame was pretty fun, the PvE was pretty solid. My complaint was more with the PvP. I quit right before rated warzones, so I don't know how that worked out, but I was really sad that they didn't branch out with the PvP. Game really needs some sort of massive warzone equivalent to AV in WoW (I guess they fucked up with the engine on this one) and arena. Arena kept me hooked on WoW for 3 years. It's always a blast with friends because it's easy to get going (only need like 3-5 people), the matches are pretty quick, and who doesn't like a straight up team deathmatch that often comes down to individual skill (sure, comps are huge, but you'll face a lot of mirror comps. and beating them is very satisfying).

Vestal

Last night I was part of the biggest BLOW out I have ever seen in a Warzone..

It was in the Hypergate, we had 0 healers against the Republic... They had 1 healer sage. The end results was..(will post a screenshot later of it).

We won, with only 1 death the entire warzone, and the death was due to pylon kaboom. Score was if I'm not mistaken 938 -142. we double capped twice.

I have never been big on pvp in mmos in the past. Most pvp I did was back with UO and DAOC. However I am LOVING SWTOR pvp.

Favorite toons for this so far are..

Operative Healer
Sith Assassin DPS

Can someone explain to me how to set up this stupid security key? I have the app on my iphone and when i open it, it asks me for a 7 digit serial number that i cant find anywhere on the site. WTF man!!! So complicated for nothing for christ sakes

Heysoos

Can someone explain to me how to set up this stupid security key? I have the app on my iphone and when i open it, it asks me for a 7 digit serial number that i cant find anywhere on the site. WTF man!!! So complicated for nothing for christ sakes

Click on your account on the website, set up security key, after like 1 or 2 clicks it should give you the numbers you need

Click on your account on the website, set up security key, after like 1 or 2 clicks it should give you the numbers you need

it doesn't work, it brings me to a page and asks me to enter my security key or code.

edit: nice so i had to call them cause this shit was impossible and basically, to use the security key app, i have to actually pay monthly for that to work for me. Nice. Extra protection, but only if you pay for it. Wow. Now i remember why i stopped playing this game.

Cystm

They make no mention on the official website or in the mobile apps page about it being exclusive to use for subscribers only.

Fail.

Giolon

it doesn't work, it brings me to a page and asks me to enter my security key or code.

edit: nice so i had to call them cause this shit was impossible and basically, to use the security key app, i have to actually pay monthly for that to work for me. Nice. Extra protection, but only if you pay for it. Wow. Now i remember why i stopped playing this game.

They make no mention on the official website or in the mobile apps page about it being exclusive to use for subscribers only.

Fail.

I seem to remember the info being there at some point, but it's not there now. Anyway, you can put a physical authenticator on any type of account. Bioware/EA has always claimed they sell the physical authenticators at cost ($4).

mileS

Yo trevin bro remind me to get online and give you back the credits you lent me some time. I've been super busy with school and just haven't had much time to invest in SWTOR, I feel so bad always quittin for awhile with your monies lol.

SWTOR endgame was pretty fun, the PvE was pretty solid. My complaint was more with the PvP. I quit right before rated warzones, so I don't know how that worked out, but I was really sad that they didn't branch out with the PvP. Game really needs some sort of massive warzone equivalent to AV in WoW (I guess they fucked up with the engine on this one) and arena. Arena kept me hooked on WoW for 3 years. It's always a blast with friends because it's easy to get going (only need like 3-5 people), the matches are pretty quick, and who doesn't like a straight up team deathmatch that often comes down to individual skill (sure, comps are huge, but you'll face a lot of mirror comps. and beating them is very satisfying).

Arena matches in WoW are no longer considered pretty quick. Haven't been since the end of cata, and sure as hell aren't in MOP. The avg match can be like 15-20min, esp the higher up the rating you go. Can be quick if you run all dps, but hardly anyone does that. It can be exhausting spamming your buttons for that long with hardly any downtime if you want to win. God I miss Wrath PvP and arena..

Anyways I'm thinking about starting a Sith Inquisitor. Opinions on the better voice acting? male or female?

HBroward

No worries, you can keep it or pay it forward. I appreciate it though!

LowerLevel

Anyways I'm thinking about starting a Sith Inquisitor. Opinions on the better voice acting? male or female?

Mine is a female human. She sounds like a haughty British woman,almost posh. Decent story, but predictable mostly. The old end game armors tended to look better on males IMO, but adaptive armor changed all that quick. Enjoy having one of the best companions to start with in this game, especially if you go heals. Just unfortunate it takes a LONG time before the next one...

I seem to remember the info being there at some point, but it's not there now. Anyway, you can put a physical authenticator on any type of account. Bioware/EA has always claimed they sell the physical authenticators at cost ($4).

Fail.

Man i was on that trying to make it work for a good 40 minutes. Then i call and they tell me its not supposed to work if you dont pay. Not very user friendly. Youd think that would be valuable info to have on the site.

StudioTan

Last night I was part of the biggest BLOW out I have ever seen in a Warzone..

It was in the Hypergate, we had 0 healers against the Republic... They had 1 healer sage. The end results was..(will post a screenshot later of it).

We won, with only 1 death the entire warzone, and the death was due to pylon kaboom. Score was if I'm not mistaken 938 -142. we double capped twice.

I have never been big on pvp in mmos in the past. Most pvp I did was back with UO and DAOC. However I am LOVING SWTOR pvp.

Favorite toons for this so far are..

Operative Healer
Sith Assassin DPS

I always hated PVP in other MMOs too, but I love the PVP in SWTOR. Yeah, sometimes it's frustrating with all the stuns but it works both ways, when you work your stuns perfectly it leads to very satisfying wins.

Having the security key app also gives you 100 cartel coins a month, that's why free to play players aren't allowed to have one.

StudioTan

Ya i saw that after calling them. They should really put that info somewhere on the site.

I wouldn't worry about security though, I've never heard of an account getting hacked and they recently implemented the one time password system for more security. I agree though, they should make it clear that the free security apps are for subs only.

Mordeccai

God dammit. I'm probably going to have to stop playing this game. The frequent hard crashes were bearable until tonight.

Was pugging Operator in TFB for an easy weekly when phase 2 starts. Same story as always, whenever I do something important in game (it can never be sitting on fleet or doing dailies... Always in PvP or an op), plaid screen of death. Hard freeze, must reset. Usually people are nice and wait for me to come back so I wasn't too miffed.

But the my computer won't fucking load Windows. It gets to the Windows 8 splash screen, loads, then black screens. Going to reset the bios tomorrow with a battery pull and pray to god it works.

Don't browse porn on this comp, haven't installed anything besides steam, games, c cleaner, temp monitoring programs and ad aware / MSE. TOR is the only game to screw with my graphics card and I have hundreds of hours in steam with intensive games like Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry, what have you.

Sucks, because I enjoy the game, but I refuse to pay monthly for something that screws with my five month old rig this much.

God dammit. I'm probably going to have to stop playing this game. The frequent hard crashes were bearable until tonight.

Was pugging Operator in TFB for an easy weekly when phase 2 starts. Same story as always, whenever I do something important in game (it can never be sitting on fleet or doing dailies... Always in PvP or an op), plaid screen of death. Hard freeze, must reset. Usually people are nice and wait for me to come back so I wasn't too miffed.

But the my computer won't fucking load Windows. It gets to the Windows 8 splash screen, loads, then black screens. Going to reset the bios tomorrow with a battery pull and pray to god it works.

Don't browse porn on this comp, haven't installed anything besides steam, games, c cleaner, temp monitoring programs and ad aware / MSE. TOR is the only game to screw with my graphics card and I have hundreds of hours in steam with intensive games like Witcher 2, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry, what have you.

Sucks, because I enjoy the game, but I refuse to pay monthly for something that screws with my five month old rig this much.
Sucks to hear you're having those problems. I can't blame you if you're going to stop playing due to that. I wouldn't be playing this game or any game if that happened to me all the time. The most I get while playing SWTOR is the automatic closing of the game at the end of Black Talon and Esseles.

Cystm

You are able to play other games fine, so its not likely going to be as simple as updating your vc drivers. Do so anyway if you have not.

Have you tried reinstalling the game or running the repair on the client?

Mordeccai

Venting guys sorry to go off topic like that. I would try your suggestions Cystm but my windows install is corrupt somehow. I think it may have been all the resets while the comp was still running that borked it.

I see the splash screen and I occasionally get am option to use "advanced tools" or something or an option to to reboot. All advanced tools is is the reset function using your windows install disc.... Which is in my apartment two hours away while I'm home for the summer. Sigh. Resetting the bios did nothing, pretty sure I need to reinstall windows. Rebooting works for a second and then my monitor goes completely black as it does when there is no signal at all.

Going to head to the PC thread and ask around there to see what my options are.

When I get my PC up again tor is being deleted. I will give it one more install (the game is damn huge and my family has internet speeds of 1 meg up and .3 down) and on the next crash I think I'm out for good :/

So it sounds like the gree event is going to be reworked after this release to be a lvl 55 event. No event for the free players I guess. Wonder if we will at least see some new rewards added to it when it comes back in it's updated version.

Rokam

Got my story spoiled by purchasing the expansion, thanks Bioware! Apparently the quest to Makeb opens at 47, was on my ship saw my holoterminal had a quest figured it was for part of my story since I had just finished a planet. But nope (Sith Inquisitor finale spoilers)
up pops Darth Marr calling me a darth and telling me to put my new position on the Dark Council to use.
Awesome, genius implementation. Guess I'll know to avoid the terminal like the plague on other characters.

Giolon

Got my story spoiled by purchasing the expansion, thanks Bioware! Apparently the quest to Makeb opens at 47, was on my ship saw my holoterminal had a quest figured it was for part of my story since I had just finished a planet. But nope (Sith Inquisitor finale spoilers)
up pops Darth Marr calling me a darth and telling me to put my new position on the Dark Council to use.
Awesome, genius implementation. Guess I'll know to avoid the terminal like the plague on other characters.

I have several guild mates that were super excited that they didn't have to finish their class story line in order to get access to Makeb, b/c they've got characters they've leveled entirely through PvP or whatever. They couldn't really tie it to being level 50, b/c you can finish your class quest far before that. They couldn't really tie it to finishing your class quest, b/c some people get hit with bugs that prevent them from being able to complete them (which arguably, they should have fixed by now).

It's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for when and how to make Makeb available.

Edit: Probably what they should have done is made Makeb available at level 47, just don't activate the breadcrumb quest on the holoterminals until finishing the class quest.

Rokam

Or just make it so the quest is in your log but doesn't start dialog till you travel to Makeb like most of the other quests in game.

I wouldn't worry about security though, I've never heard of an account getting hacked and they recently implemented the one time password system for more security. I agree though, they should make it clear that the free security apps are for subs only.

I had it before when the game first launched so i figured i set it up again. But whatever, i dont have anything worth while to hack anyway. It was more for the access to those special stores and all.

Milly79

So it sounds like the gree event is going to be reworked after this release to be a lvl 55 event. No event for the free players I guess. Wonder if we will at least see some new rewards added to it when it comes back in it's updated version.

I hope so, because it's already stale after the first go around. All the hardcore people have gotten what they want. They really should bring back one of the other two events, but really just the Rakghoul. :p

I hope so, because it's already stale after the first go around. All the hardcore people have gotten what they want. They really should bring back one of the other two events, but really just the Rakghoul. :p

Yea and those also revamped with some new stuff and rewards.

Top Bottom