• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Vyroxis

Banned
So today I took ky bounty hunter from 50 to 55, and leveled my Jugger tank to 30 from 1. I love massive XP bonuses.

Also, bounty hunter armor sucks on looks. Thank god for Cartel pack armors.

Sorian

Banned
I haven't played since before the game went free to play. Is it faster to level now?

If you are free to play? No, it's slower. If you stay as a subscriber, there are experience boosts you can buy that increase all xp earned by 25%. There are also experience unlocks you can buy that got introduced with legacy so idk if you had seen those before you ducked out. Either way, this was certainly never a hard game to level up in.

Edit: Also, the rest of this weekend is a server wide event. All experience gains are doubled, this will be the last one for awhile.

If you are free to play? No, it's slower. If you stay as a subscriber, there are experience boosts you can buy that increase all xp earned by 25%. There are also experience unlocks you can buy that got introduced with legacy so idk if you had seen those before you ducked out. Either way, this was certainly never a hard game to level up in.

Edit: Also, the rest of this weekend is a server wide event. All experience gains are doubled, this will be the last one for awhile.

Yes it was. At launch leveling was slow as FUCK. I never got past level 20. I thought about giving this a look again. I'd pay the 15 a month or whatever they wanted because my understanding is it's easier to level that way, but are there things I need to be aware of before I jump in so I can get the best experience?

Yes it was. At launch leveling was slow as FUCK. I never got past level 20. I thought about giving this a look again. I'd pay the 15 a month or whatever they wanted because my understanding is it's easier to level that way, but are there things I need to be aware of before I jump in so I can get the best experience?

There are some xp boosts to be earned by questing and guild xp bonus.... but if you thought it was slow in the 20's, then your never going to get anywhere in the game. Leveling is quick in this until the 40's usually.

Sorian

Banned

Well, aside from that 25% booster that I talked about, nothing else has been done to increase experience gains since patch 1.2 (1.3? whenever legacy was) so if you found it slow, you may still find it slow. Like I said, compared to most MMO's, this one goes fast but YMMV. Other than that, being a sub lets you play as many warzones as you'd like and raid as much as you'd like (though you won't be worrying about that right now). There are items that can be bought that unlock bits and pieces of the sub on a week by week basis (unlimited warzones ques each week) and there are some things that a sub will have that you can't get (priority access in ques for warzones and dungeons). Overall, I'd say for leveling it is best to be a sub. At max level, I've seen people make it work where they drop their sub and buy only the unlocks they plan to use (why pay for raids and warzones when I only want to raid?) but that will be your call once and if you get up to the max level.

And there was an expansion so levels 51-55 are behind that paywall. $20 normal priced, $10 if you are subbing.

Heysoos

There's also XP bonuses from joining a guild. Depending on how active the guild is, is how much XP bonus they get.

Yeah, GAF imp guild doing a long time ago. Pub GAF is still going pretty strong.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Man I love the double XP. In the last 3 days I've taken my scoundrel from level 40 to 51 doing nothing but my class quest and PVP. It's nice being able to focus just on the class quest without losing the flow of the story by doing all the side quests.

Sorian

Banned
Double XP weekends have really been grand for me finishing up my SWTOR crusade. I've told myself that I would finish all 8 storylines since launch and I'm getting real close to that day. Thanks to all the xp, I was able to get my Jedi Sage from Tython to Belsavis over this weekend and tonight, after work, I'll be ploughing through Corellia on my hunter and finishing his story. These are my last two classes to beat, I'm super excited.

For fun edit: How each character was played:
100% Light Inquisitor
100% Dark Trooper
Neutral Agent who did what made sense but killed when you weren't needed
Neutral Knight who did what made sense to become as strong as possible but gave you a chance if you weren't a dick
100% Dark Warrior
100% Light Smuggler
Neutral BH who did all of his contracts to the letter
Fuck you Gault :(
and was always honorable
Neutral Sage who did what made sense and was willing to kill those who were a real threat

Cystm

It would seem they are making the right moves on the PvE front. People are genuinely satisfied.

I really hope they can bring something worth my time to PvP.

Sorian

Banned
It would seem they are making the right moves on the PvE front. People are genuinely satisfied.

I really hope they can bring something worth my time to PvP.

I'm intrigued by the new flashpoints, hope they are fun (I'm not on the PTS) Question: What type of gear is dropping/slated for those flashpoints?

And they will continue to say that October will be every PvPers wet dream, guess we will see if they deliver. I just hope they aren't aiming at all the people that like to show off their giant ePeen.

Quilt

Neo Member
Haven't played since summer '12. Really keen to get back into the game with a few friends, but have some queries first. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

I played a Sith Jugg before. Interested in playing a JK this time round. Are Sentinels(/Marauders) different enough from Guardians/Juggs to keep me interested? Or am I better off rolling another class entirely?

Also, I am interested in Consular. But heard that the class story is weak. Having said that I really like politics based stories, so maybe I would enjoy it?

Aaaaand. If I do played a dark side aligned JK or Consular, does it work? Or is it just silly? I'm keen to play someone pragmatically minded.

Thanks again :) Looking forward to getting back on

Cystm

Haven't played since summer '12. Really keen to get back into the game with a few friends, but have some queries first. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

I played a Sith Jugg before. Interested in playing a JK this time round. Are Sentinels(/Marauders) different enough from Guardians/Juggs to keep me interested? Or am I better off rolling another class entirely?

Mechanically they are different enough. The Story does not change. Both are awesome.

Marauders/Sentinels are strong DPS, one of the more fun melee classes.

JK's can tank, and though you might not be interested in that at the moment, it's nice to have that option available. They are also a fun DPS class to play. You'll hear a lot of people say that maruders/Sents are OP, but I don't think they are more so than anyone else that is simply good at their class.

So, pick what sounds more appealing.

I have the different classes linked in the OP, if you would like more detail information.

Quilt

Neo Member
Mechanically they are different enough. The Story does not change. Both are awesome.

Marauders/Sentinels are strong DPS, one of the more fun melee classes.

JK's can tank, and though you might not be interested in that at the moment, it's nice to have that option available. They are also a fun DPS class to play. You'll hear a lot of people say that maruders/Sents are OP, but I don't think they are more so than anyone else that is simply good at their class.

So, pick what sounds more appealing.

I have the different classes linked in the OP, if you would like more detail information.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, it was mechanically I was talking about. Don't want to end up with what feels like two identical characters. I'll have a look into the class link, thanks :)

Cystm

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, it was mechanically I was talking about. Don't want to end up with what feels like two identical characters. I'll have a look into the class link, thanks :)

I am up playing League of Legends, haha. Two monitors and an obsessive compulsion to refresh.

You mentioned that you were open to a more political themed plot, then you would love Imperial Sniper.

Quilt

Neo Member
I am up playing League of Legends, haha. Two monitors and an obsessive compulsion to refresh.

You mentioned that you were open to a more political themed plot, then you would love Imperial Sniper.

Haha, I do the same thing (except replace LoL with DotA). I have level 50 Zabrak Imperial Sniper already! Loved it. Brilliant story.

So I basically left this and went back to WoW. I'm planning on firing it up again. Are their dual specs now and things like a dungeon finder? I really enjoy tanking, not sure if it's enjoyable in this.

Have they done anything about ability bloat?

I appreciate you guys being patient with my questions. I won't be able to come back till sometime at the end of the week and I want to know what I'm jumping into.

So I basically left this and went back to WoW. I'm planning on firing it up again. Are their dual specs now and things like a dungeon finder? I really enjoy tanking, not sure if it's enjoyable in this.

Have they done anything about ability bloat?

I appreciate you guys being patient with my questions. I won't be able to come back till sometime at the end of the week and I want to know what I'm jumping into.

There is group finder tools now but no dual specs yet.

When the expansion came out they did remove one or two abilities from various classes or consolidated redundant stuff, but it varies based on class how much was changed.

Tanking is pretty standard mmo tanking, they generally improved almost all the tanks abilities to hold agro with class changes. Jugs/Guardians got big buffs to their tanking ability.

Moff

Is it easy to level as a tank or should I do something else? I mainly just want to complete the stories and do some 5 mans.

my leveling as a juggernaut tank (in full tank spec) has been by far the easiest of my 5 level 50 characters.

They seriously removed lvl 50 fps from the group finder at lvl 55 in 2.3? Seriously wtf, hopefully that is just a temp test change on the PTR and not something that goes live. Already was annoying we couldn't do the old ops anymore suddenly when we hit 55 using group finder. It is kinda important to get basic coms for new 55's too.

Is it easy to level as a tank or should I do something else? I mainly just want to complete the stories and do some 5 mans.

Just use a dps companion and they level pretty darn good. Don't use a healer companion unless you want stuff to go real slow. Keep your dps companion geared up and they can do lot of damage for you while you tank.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

It's very easy to level as a tank.

The Guardian/Juggernaut tanking style is pretty straightforward. Make sure you're in the tanking stance (though I have no idea why you'd ever be out of it), run up, slash people in the face, hit your area taunt, and then swing away.

Vanguard/Powertech is likewise pretty straighforward. Instead of slashing, you charge in and knock everyone around with your rifle-butt/Falcon Punch and use close-range AoEs. It also has a stance, and you're never going to be out of it.

Shadow/Assassin, though, is a bit different. You're an avoidance tank rather than a standard damage sponge. You have a stance (which, again, you'll never leave), but you also have periodic effects you need to activate to buff your shields. You have taunts like everyone else, but you also have some built in tools like discharge and wither (not sure of the Shadow names for the skills, sorry) that help you keep threat up. It's a bit more active, actually, so that may be more fun for someone who wants to try something beyond the standard tanking.

You have a pull rather than a charge, but you won't really use it accept to pull the occasional "third guy" who won't get hit at all by your AoEs into the central pack. Instead you'll sneak in to the middle of a pack just like you would as a DPS, but instead of executing one hapless bastard, you start pissing everyone off. All of your powers are short range (4~10m), anyway, so there's no use trying to start shit from any other range anyway.

Having done the Assassin (and a Jedi Sage), I'm going to suggest doing it as a Jedi Shadow. If you want to have an Inquisitor, I suggesting going the Sorceror route. There's a lot of little things that just work better the other way, both thematically and practically given that you get your healer much earlier on as a Consular than you do as a Inquisitor and that you lightning the shit out of everything as an Inquistor during your storyline. I'll agree with Battlemonkey that the healer companion will slow you down on mobs, but it will also get you through some tougher fights if you need the help on certain bosses.

Heysoos

Wellp. I'm almost 55 on my Shadow. For a long time it was stuck in leveling hell. I just couldn't get it going. I found Infiltration to be super freaking fun, had a blast in PVP. I was getting constant 500k+ games and a few 700ks here and there. I still didn't really like leveling him all that much though. Probably because the Consular story is boring as hell.

Then at 50, I decided to give tanking a chance. So much more fun than my Vanguard tank. On my Vanguard tank I feel like I have to be perfect just to stay alive. My relatively small amount of defensive skills also made me effective in much smaller bursts. With my Shadow tank I feel so much more useful. I feel like I have so many more useful tools also. From what I've talked to other people, it seems like Vanguards need some love from Bioware.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
From my observation, the Vanguard tank relies a lot on Armor, more so than the other classes. However, there are a lot of mobs and bosses that have attacks that lower your armor or ignore armor entirely, so you have a tougher time. It's changed a little bit since 2.0, though... shields are more broadly applicable, so that's helped. I still have problems with certain Sith mobs on Ilum who have whirlwind as a instant, non-interruptible ability. It doesn't matter who you have as your companion... they immediately get shut down for 15 seconds or so and you get your teeth kicked in.

Milly79

Vanguards are super annoying. Oh, wanna move? Too bad, stand in my oil slick. Then try to leave and get pulled back in. When they have their shield, gg.

Guardians > Vanguards > Shadows. At least in PvP to me.

Sorian

Banned
Looking through the new cartel pack and I have to say, as usual, only one item in there excites me, which is the sarlacc pit that lets you heal your resources while you are being eaten.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Looking through the new cartel pack and I have to say, as usual, only one item in there excites me, which is the sarlacc pit that lets you heal your resources while you are being eaten.

I don't know, some of the new armor is pretty sweet actually.

Sorian

Banned
Are there any cool new two-handed weapons for Guardians? I've been using The Chopper for ages and want a change :p

Didn't see any interesting new weapons on the list I was looking at. A new lightsaber with the same type of extra effects around the hilt and then some blasters and cannons that were samey.

Anything is better than those huttball uniforms from the last cartel pack.

More huttball uniforms in these packs :p They aren't as bad tho, they are republic/imp designed as opposed to frogdog/rotworm designed.

SRTtoZ

So I just returned and the thing that really disappoints me is how bad high level gear STILL looks. The best looking armor in the game is Cartel market stuff...which is very very sad. :(

Sorian

Banned
So I just returned and the thing that really disappoints me is how bad high level gear STILL looks. The best looking armor in the game is Cartel market stuff...which is very very sad. :(

You can buy it all on the GTN for credits so no harm no foul but yes, I'd like them to make one good set of pve or pvp gear. Just something that looks cool and tells everyone without even examining you that you are a badass in your respective specialty.

Cystm

Where are you finding the latest pack info? I don't see anything on Darth Hater.

http://dulfy.net/2013/07/09/swtor-supreme-moguls-contraband-pack-contents/

If you want to see what everything looks like.

OMG.

ifneW6jyMTNbd.jpg

GONK DROID!

E: Pocket Sarlacc

ikMxDvib9gvyW.jpg

Frankly prefer the looks of a lot of the lower level gear. Why it's nice you can customize pretty much any gear into end game gear if you want.

Infinity

Since the last patch, I've been getting periodic lag spikes on Jedi Covenant. Sometimes, I get disconnected with the 9000 error, but usually the connection recovers, and I'm okay for awhile before it happens again.

From what I've read, some have remedied the issue by deleting the swtor cache file.

Anyone else experiencing issues like this since the last patch?

Draxal

Frankly prefer the looks of a lot of the lower level gear. Why it's nice you can customize pretty much any gear into end game gear if you want.

Its very hard for Bio ware to create new gear that is better than iconic Star Wars gear. Since the iconic gear is easily obtainable I really don't mind.

Its very hard for Bio ware to create new gear that is better than iconic Star Wars gear. Since the iconic gear is easily obtainable I really don't mind.

There is also a limit to what they can do with the iconic looks. How many variations of brown jedi robes can they really make? Same with Sith like cloaks/robes. Everyone wants to look like Han Solo? Game already has a ton of variations of that. Yea they have put out some crazy looks too but they pretty much have too since they can only release same types of looks. Course folks like that they are just putting out copies of stuff worn by other characters. I don't want to dress like Revan, that was Revan, I want to be original. Same with other characters. I don't want them to just copy stuff from the OT and let players dress up as Vadar or someone iconic.

Lot of the armor I think looks good outside of the helmets, but really, most SW characters don't even wear helmets.

StudioTan

You can buy all the cartel market gear on the GTN although the first 4 packs are no longer sold so some of it is getting rarer but you shouldn't have much trouble finding cool cartel gear there.

Top Bottom