• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Jrmint

Tauntaun mounts are seriously just the best fucking thing. I paid full price for one on my main and I have no regrets.
Yep I agree completely, I love it.

I've seen people selling the 15 domestication tokens for as low as 800k also, so it's just gonna keep dropping. All these people trying to make money off of them are gonna flood the market and I bet we'll be able to get them for like 500k in 2 weeks.

Heysoos

Not only did they add the tauntaun mount, but they also made the new stims/medpacks/adrenals x3! I have so many mats that I can feed my alts forever now. :3

HBroward

We have grinded for less shit and longer... I'll never forget our route to 55 and the time we wasted on some shit day 1. The Taun is so worth it and 1-2 hours of your time. Invest in it.

I just don't know which of my characters to invest in it on.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
There is another cantina tour stop on Friday night so expect to see some new information tomorrow. They've been revealing new stuff at each one.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They didn't reveal anything new at the one I went to in January in SF. I feel so ripped off :(

I think they started 2 stops ago :( I'm not going to look for it now but I know Eric said they wanted to use them to put out new info. At this one, as with the last 2, they are giving everyone thumb drives with pics of future content. The last one revealed the PVP arenas and Tauntaun.

Rokam

Don't know if I'm bugged or just lucky, but sent out one of my companions 5 times today on the max level Rich sliced tech parts mission, and it has crit every time.

Also finally started my Shadow, found the only race the male Consular voice doesn't seem awful on, Cathar.

UltraMav

I initially expected him to be the smuggler, but that was probably due to Uncharted and him playing a wannabe Indiana Jones more than anything. I think the male smuggler that they went with did an awesome job. Female smuggler however is the worst player VO in the game.

StudioTan

I initially expected him to be the smuggler, but that was probably due to Uncharted and him playing a wannabe Indiana Jones more than anything. I think the male smuggler that they went with did an awesome job. Female smuggler however is the worst player VO in the game.

I actually quite like her VO but I can see why others might not. I was actually surprised to find out the Smuggler wasn't Nolan North, he sounds a lot like him.

Jrmint

I really do not like the male IA, sounds like he's trying to hard to sound cool and mysterious.

Sith Warrior male is my favorite of the ones I've heard.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Sith Warrior male is my favorite of the ones I've heard.
Yeah, he's good. I actually heard him in a few movies and I said, "oh shit, it's the guy". Reverse case of what happened when I ran across the Whataburger guy in SWTOR.

Cystm

I see your female smuggler and I raise you the male bounty hunter.

imUy16JbysfLk.gif

Rokam

I can't tell if the max level Mission Discovery: Slicing missions are incredibly rare or if I'm just unlucky, haven't found a single one. Meanwhile I have 13 Treasure Hunting missions just waiting to be used.

Heysoos

I can't tell if the max level Mission Discovery: Slicing missions are incredibly rare or if I'm just unlucky, haven't found a single one. Meanwhile I have 13 Treasure Hunting missions just waiting to be used.

I get them very little. I used to get a ton of UT, but those slowed down. There was also a period where I got nothing but Diplomacy Dark, now I'm getting Treasure Hunting. That said, the return on the class 10 rich lockboxes is way too little. I think I'd probably make more running class 5 rich. If it weren't for the mission discoveries of course.

Rokam

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen any Large credit cases, get them all the time from the spawns out in the world though.

Heysoos

I mean the issue is, when you crit on class 9 lockboxes, the credit cases are only ~3.2k-3.3k. Meanwhile, class 5 rich lockboxes crit for upwards of 6k+. I'm running that all the time now and my overall profits have shot up. ATM since I'm basically loaded with Thermal Regulators for a long time, I'm only running Class 9 Rich Lockbox, Class 9 Bountiful Lockbox, and Class 5 Rich Lockboxes.

Cystm

They showed the PVP arenas at the last Cantina event.

Yeah. I was hoping for more than 4v4 though. At this point, I am just hard to please, I guess.

I want something fresh brought to the table that is deep and rewarding. Or at least more information about the arenas and how matchmaking is going to be addressed for legitimate competitive play. Everything EQN is bringing (While not really fresh other than the destructible inviros) right out of the gate is not helping me want to get back into TOR either. If their PvP is more interesting than what TOR is currently or imminently offering than I have no reason to continue playing this game anymore at all. At least with the same level of interest I once had in it. It's hard to just let 12 characters go to waste, though.

The Taun Taun mounts are great and Treek is amazing, and I will say the game is shaping up nicely over all. It's just not happening soon enough for me. My competitive nature is getting more out of other games.

Minion101

Banned
Is the republic trooper still the best storyline?

edit: after some googling Imperial Agent is said to be the favorite? You guys agree?

Trooper is a great first act but the later half isn't as interesting. I'm enjoying the agent storyline - I'm on tatooine so far.

First chapter is great for trooper, but then you find out chapter 2 has nothing to do with chapter 1. And then chapter 3 has nothing to really do with the previous 2 chapters. Trooper doesn't have a cohesive all around story, it's essentially 3 separate little stories with only the first being of any interest.

Sorian

Banned
First chapter is great for trooper, but then you find out chapter 2 has nothing to do with chapter 1. And then chapter 3 has nothing to really do with the previous 2 chapters. Trooper doesn't have a cohesive all around story, it's essentially 3 separate little stories with only the first being of any interest.

The progression of story made sense to me. I will say I found the overall story to be a tad boring but it was spiced up in my run since I decided to do a full DS trooper. Made some of the story missions much more interesting.

Playing as a Dark Side Trooper was fun but I agree with the others saying that the first chapter of their story is the best then kinda tumbles down during Chapter 2 and 3.. Imperial Agents have the best complete storyline out of all the classes.

UltraMav

A lot of the class stories seem to have that problem. I agree that IA has a good overall arch but would add the JK to that list.

Sorian

Banned
A lot of the class stories seem to have that problem. I agree that IA has a good overall arch but would add the JK to that list.

Sith Warrior, as well. It helps when there is a shared antagonist through 2-3 of the acts as opposed to a new one introduced for each act. It feels disjointed even though i can understand WHY they would tell a story like that.

StudioTan

That's why we probably won't see more class stories, they said it was difficult coming up with arbitrary reasons for each class to visit the same locations. Single stories for each faction can be much more interesting and hopefully they can incorporate different flavouring for each class.

Jrmint

Overall it seems Act 2 is consistently the weakest.

Act 1 and 3 SW were so cool and made you feel so evil and badass, but 2 was throwaway.

IA is seeming to shape up the same way. Act 1 was awesome, but I literally have no clue what I'm doing in Act 2. I'm guessing it'll come full circle and have an awesome final act.

Agent story all comes together pretty well. Most of the stories have connecting themes, though often chapter 2 and 3 are obviously filled with filler as they will have you do stuff like "now you must find X dudes/things on each of the following planets and meet new companions". Chapter 1 due to leveling moves at a much brisker pace. Though with the Jedi Knight and Consular they really felt like the opposite, with the first chapters being really weak and story actually building up from there. JK especially kept having new revelations as you progressed and got better.

Sorian

Banned
That's why we probably won't see more class stories, they said it was difficult coming up with arbitrary reasons for each class to visit the same locations. Single stories for each faction can be much more interesting and hopefully they can incorporate different flavouring for each class.

The scripts for more class stories are still in the data mined files so I don't see why we wouldn't be getting them.

The scripts for more class stories are still in the data mined files so I don't see why we wouldn't be getting them.

Lack of budget/EA support for the game. Who knows, maybe they expected for more from the game instead of what they got. They are making good money now with the game so who knows. Though I don't see them being able to do a whole lot of expanding individual class stories with expansions the size of Makeb, they probably need a much larger retail level expansion to properly do it. Comments from the devs though have made it sound like they are more interested in doing Makeb like expansions moving the general world timeline/story forward, and that your class story is kinda finished.

In some cases I think they come to a decent conclusion and the few that don't lead more into the general world story like
the Emperor is almost surely going to come back and hes a threat to both factions according to the background.... perfect excuse for them to also bring back Revan hehe.

Sorian

Banned
Lack of budget/EA support for the game. Who knows, maybe they expected for more from the game instead of what they got. They are making good money now with the game so who knows. Though I don't see them being able to do a whole lot of expanding individual class stories with expansions the size of Makeb, they probably need a much larger retail level expansion to properly do it. Comments from the devs though have made it sound like they are more interested in doing Makeb like expansions moving the general world timeline/story forward, and that your class story is kinda finished.

In some cases I think they come to a decent conclusion and the few that don't lead more into the general world story like
the Emperor is almost surely going to come back and hes a threat to both factions according to the background.... perfect excuse for them to also bring back Revan hehe.

I haven't received insider information in awhile (whenever the Gree event was first introduced because I remember I was talking to the guy in vent while running those dailies for the first time) but internal testers were already playing with the space project and storylines that were specific to the sith warrior and smuggler (sure on the SW one, drawing a blank on the second but smuggler kept comign to mind so I'll just go with that).

Personally, I get the feeling that they will keep alternating with big expanions with individual class stories coming into one big planet or set of planets that is more of a group thing and then branching back out etc. If they were smart, they would just build more content like Makeb where everyone is working on the same goal but within that storyline they are doing different things. For example (Makeb Imperial Spoiler)
have everyone do the same storyline starting with the crash landing and leading up to the isotope droid and finding that all the element is gone and made into an army. Then have it branch out, have the inquisitor be the who gets the groundquakes to become more violent while the IA is working with the rebels to distract the Hutts and Republic, etc.

Well I've finally bit the bullet and subscribed for at least a month. Having a good time trying out all the classes, having a hard time committing to one outside of the Jedi Knight which I've just reached Alderaan with. None of my other 4 characters even have a spaceship yet. Reading the comments about the trooper story here is kind of a downer, was suddenly very excited to give her a try when I found out Jennifer Hale did the voice (which is weird given her other prominent role as Satele Shan, especially given that they'll inevitably converse at some point for flashpoints and such, but whatever). I definitely want to start up an agent again, I had tried one when I first checked out the game months ago, but lost track of the throwaway account I made then. Only got her through prologue anyway.

In any case, I'm having quite a bit of fun playing.

Sorian

Banned
Well I've finally bit the bullet and subscribed for at least a month. Having a good time trying out all the classes, having a hard time committing to one outside of the Jedi Knight which I've just reached Alderaan with. None of my other 4 characters even have a spaceship yet. Reading the comments about the trooper story here is kind of a downer, was suddenly very excited to give her a try when I found out Jennifer Hale did the voice (which is weird given her other prominent role as Satele Shan, especially given that they'll inevitably converse at some point for flashpoints and such, but whatever). I definitely want to start up an agent again, I had tried one when I first checked out the game months ago, but lost track of the throwaway account I made then. Only got her through prologue anyway.

In any case, I'm having quite a bit of fun playing.

Psst, telekenesis Sage/Lightning Sorc is the best class to play. (Purely gameplay wise, they were having a competition for shittiest story though) Non-spoiler:
The sage won

Psst, telekenesis Sage/Lightning Sorc is the best class to play. (Purely gameplay wise, they were having a competition for shittiest story though) Non-spoiler:
The sage won

Ha, I actually did play a sage through to Tatooine a while back, and yeah, I was just so bored even at that point. I made an inquisitor, but went assassin purely because I was making a pseudo Darth Maul.

Rokam

The amount of shitty tanks in this game makes me want to roll a tank, but then I remember they have a billion buttons and I only have a 2 button mouse :(.

Are there any good podcasts out there like Convert to Raid (WoW), discussing OPs and class discussions (rotations, gearing, etc.)?

Kemal86

Whatever happened to the open world pvp? I remember they deprecated Ilum, but did anything replace it? Seemed like such a huge deal was made out of it before launch ("best pvp designers" "the dudes from dark age of camelot"), then the game comes out, Ilum is broken, and gets immediately abandoned.

Heysoos

The new daily area is pretty damn good for OWPvP if you're on a PvP server.

I'd imagine so. There was some PVP going on JC too. But most people seemed to be scared to initiate combat and only attacked when they had numbers. Too bad the area is laggy as hell. It was fun on my Shadow though. I respecced Infiltration and while I ninja'd the stupid daily node thingies, I'd hunt people down.

Top Bottom