• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

kmz

Neo Member
Yeah, that's gotta be a bug, right? I did a couple of bounties this morning and didn't have any problem but I imagine it's going to be terrible during prime time.

Milly79

What's going on? What happened with the patch?

I'm talking about the event. It's a clusterfuck of people waiting for 1 spawn in different locations on a 2~ min timer, then leads to an elite that can apparently be stolen (haven't personally seen this yet)?

Just seems like it's ripe for a patching. I can't even imagine doing this on a PvP server aside from the starting area + homeworld.

Heysoos

I'm talking about the event. It's a clusterfuck of people waiting for 1 spawn in different locations on a 2~ min timer, then leads to an elite that can apparently be stolen (haven't personally seen this yet)?

Just seems like it's ripe for a patching. I can't even imagine doing this on a PvP server aside from the starting area + homeworld.

Ah. Also, what's this about pvp changes?

Rokam

It's not that it can be stolen it's that for the achievement you have to kill and capture each one. So for those needing to capture you have to hope the people near the spawn aren't assholes once you spawn it.

kmz

Neo Member
According to at least one post I've seen, the adds that sometimes spawn when you interrogate somebody to get a piece of information can be stolen from the person that spawned them if somebody else gets the first hit off. Which is different from how pretty much every spawned add has worked in the game, there they automatically "belong" to you.

As for PVP, lots of changes are coming with 2.4: http://dulfy.net/2013/08/14/swtor-bioware-talks-about-warzone-arenas-in-patch-2-4/

Rokam

So watch some imp do the Kingpin quest and he wasn't getting owned, he was Merc (I'm a trooper), and I was like well shit I don't want to have to group for this. After he dies I start up the fight and realize every single ability can be dodged. Some people man.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm actually impressed, that was a pretty good write up.

I agree with a lot of his points but not all. PVP doesn't necessarily mean you're always fighting someone, PVP can also mean you're competing against another team to complete an objective. Just like in hockey, the goalie might not be involved for large stretches of the game, that doesn't mean it's not a sport.

People who enjoy ranked will still be able to do so with arenas, although I can understand why those who actually were able to do ranked matches would be upset. Personally I wanted to play ranked but only got the chance half a dozen times.

Milly79

One thing I don't understand about removing 8v8 RWZ is all the people saying they weren't successful because of objectives. I understand there is no cross server, or any carrot that BW really dangled in front of us, but is it popular in WoW? I know they have RBGs... Isn't that purely objective based as well?

One thing I don't understand about removing 8v8 RWZ is all the people saying they weren't successful because of objectives. I understand there is no cross server, or any carrot that BW really dangled in front of us, but is it popular in WoW? I know they have RBGs... Isn't that purely objective based as well?
Yeah, WoW Battlegrounds are objective based. I remember them being pretty popular during Cataclysm but not sure now.

They should've just left 8v8 in there for the option alone. If people don't want to do it with arenas there fine but at least give the option.

Rokam

Well decided not to wait for Legacy 40 to get Treek, went on a crafting spree and was able to get it for 1.6 million, she better be worth it. I had read her healing abilities were slightly better, plus I already had the gear from my current healer. And then I found out her missions are bugged and even near max affection she won't talk to you. Sad face. Kinda wish they'd put in a companion that gave Mission Crit instead of efficiency.

kmz

Neo Member
I had at least one conversation mission with Treek. Are there supposed to be more?

I ended up not really having trouble with any of the bounties at all, though I didn't do my max allotment cause I was tired. It seems like the primary problem was in the starter worlds on the primary instance, and it's pretty easy to dodge those.

Jrmint

Someone in my guild told me that max affection increases crit chance on missions, is that true? Or just an urban legend?

kmz

Neo Member
I know it increases crit chance for crafting, I would assume it increases crit chance for missions too.

Zafir

You say that we have the option to do arena instead but what if we don't like the concept? Honestly I'm not much of a fan of arenas, played it in wow and it's alright but I just like objective play. It adds another dynamic to just killing.

Pretty much most of my ranked team will most likely quit because they're also the same.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Someone in my guild told me that max affection increases crit chance on missions, is that true? Or just an urban legend?

I know it reduces the time it takes for missions/crafting and crits when crafting, but don't know about other efficiencies on missions.

Rokam

Ah okay thought I downloaded something when I logged in, my bad.

Find it hilarious that a lot of Treek's healing abilities have some sort of musical sound attached to it. But holy shit she doesn't shut up in combat.

Anyone have a guild I could join? Haven't played since launch, but now that I have my PC back, I redownloaded it and decided to give it a whirl again.

Damn, for preordering and whatnot at the beginning of the game, they really don't help ya out at all when it comes to all this F2P stuff..

UltraMav

Well I gave up. Spent about an hour and half fending off Imps one at a time until they got fed up with me and a group of four showed up to ruin my day and camp it together.

I should probably thank them. :p

Oh, I was going to ask the braintrust here, is there any consensus on how to properly gear Treek as a tank? Can she hold her own tanking in DPS gear so she can easily switch into healing stance when things get rough, or should I focus on the traditional tanking stats if that's going to be her primary use?

Sorian

Banned
Well I gave up. Spent about an hour and half fending off Imps one at a time until they got fed up with me and a group of four showed up to ruin my day and camp it together.

I should probably thank them. :p

Oh, I was going to ask the braintrust here, is there any consensus on how to properly gear Treek as a tank? Can she hold her own tanking in DPS gear so she can easily switch into healing stance when things get rough, or should I focus on the traditional tanking stats if that's going to be her primary use?

I'd focus on traditional tanking stats if you can but I'm sure she would still tank fine in any nice gear no matter the stats. I'm a dps sorc who used to use xalek as my tank and since he was willpower, i just gave him my hand-me-downs (no tanking stats, obviously) and he was still a good tank. Treek, on the other hand, I kitted out with tanking gear using my basic and classic comms and she is a beast tank. So, basically, still good without tank stats but god-like with tank stats (it does help a lot that treek will heal herself though).

UltraMav

Cool, thanks for the advice, I'm getting ready to craft her level 66 mods and wanted to know which ones to focus on before I started.

Hex

Banned
How are you enjoying it so far? What class are you playing?

Started with a Jedi Sage (my second will be Smuggler I think) and am enjoying it, tried to play it cool with F2P but went and subbed after the first play session.
Just hit 10 and made it to the Rebel Fleet and running around there and having to think about crew skills and am a bit lost with what to pick.
I love how much attention is given to the story experience, as someone who does every single quest I can find and tries to look around every corner I like the conversation branches and the various interactions because if I end up making other characters they may make different choices.
The visuals are fantastic, all and all it is a great experience so far.

Jrmint

Good to hear you subbed, I always tell people if you're gonna put any serious time into the game to definitely sub. It makes the experience much more enjoyable I think.

As for crew skills I always do slicing on any alts I create and then figure out any additional crafting or gathering professions once I'm leveled up and sure I like the character. Slicing provides a nice boost to your income and I find I never have issues with needing money for training or mounts while leveling. I usually send out guys on missions until I'm at the level the planet requires and then just pick up the boxes I see in the world. It's easy to powerlevel professions once you have all of your companions.

Hex

Banned
Good to hear you subbed, I always tell people if you're gonna put any serious time into the game to definitely sub. It makes the experience much more enjoyable I think.

As for crew skills I always do slicing on any alts I create and then figure out any additional crafting or gathering professions once I'm leveled up and sure I like the character. Slicing provides a nice boost to your income and I find I never have issues with needing money for training or mounts while leveling. I usually send out guys on missions until I'm at the level the planet requires and then just pick up the boxes I see in the world. It's easy to powerlevel professions once you have all of your companions.

Yeah I think I am going to whip up my smuggler tonight so I can start balancing and maxing rest xp and get them set up for Slicing and something with that and then have my Sage go with Archeology and pair that with something.

Cystm

Yeah I think I am going to whip up levelingmy smuggler tonight so I can start balancing and maxing rest xp and get them set up for Slicing and something with that and then have my Sage go with Archeology and pair that with something.

You will get more credits if you pick up two gathering crew skills while leveling, keeping one in mind for whatever crafting you want to do. Most max level schematics require items obtained through mission crew skills, so you should level one simultaneously.

You can also save the mats for another character to power level with.

That was my strategy while leveling. Provided the most leveling convenience and/or credits depending on what your character needs more.

Cystm

It's too bad they went with the Sion armor of the force unleashed, instead of KotOR II.

It would be great to have a quest chain that involved you becoming as dark as sion. Or at least via the packs.

Force Unleashed Darth Sion armor? Wish it was KOTOR II Darth Sion. The cybernetic parts look cool and so does the Mandalore outfit.

AND HOLY SHIT THE CHICKEN DANCE

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Wow the cybertetic armour is badass!

Top Bottom