• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Whatever happened to the open world pvp? I remember they deprecated Ilum, but did anything replace it? Seemed like such a huge deal was made out of it before launch ("best pvp designers" "the dudes from dark age of camelot"), then the game comes out, Ilum is broken, and gets immediately abandoned.
They turned the World PvP part of Ilum into a zone just for the Gree event. They've pretty much given up on trying to revive Ilum as a World PVP zone.

Heysoos

I keep out dpsing DPS as a full tank spec with full tank gear. :/ As much as I like tanking in PVP, it feels like I hinder my team more since there's so many bad dps out there.

Minion101

Banned
Noob question. It seems I was about to be done with the starting zone at level 10. However after doing a flashpoint I ended up at the Imperial fleet and have no idea how to get back.

Heysoos

Noob question. It seems I was about to be done with the starting zone at level 10. However after doing a flashpoint I ended up at the Imperial fleet and have no idea how to get back.

Open your map up and look for the elevator that says travel option to go back to starter planets. Hutta and Korriban Mission Departures. For Republic it is the west most elevator, for Imps I believe it's South? Either that or West/East/North most elevators, just over them in your map. That said once you hit 10 there's really no reason to go back to starter planets.

There should be two shuttles in a hanger bay on the fleet. You can find them by going down the elevators but I forgot which one it is.

Edit: Nevermind. Heysoos knows.

Sorian

Banned
Open your map up and look for the elevator that says travel option to go back to starter planets. Hutta and Korriban Mission Departures. For Republic it is the west most elevator, for Imps I believe it's South? Either that or West/East/North most elevators, just over them in your map. That said once you hit 10 there's really no reason to go back to starter planets.

Sounds like he hasn't finished his class story. That would be the precise reason to return to your starter planet.

Minion101

Banned

That was it thanks. I hope I don't have to go back there again for this gathering profession.

Rokam

I can't quit buying Cartel packs, as soon as I get to a million credits I buy as many as I can (4-5), then the next day I rinse and repeat. Help!!!

UltraMav

If you're regularly spending millions of creds on packs, wouldn't it be more cost effective to just buy specific pack items you want?

Rokam

If you are able to get to a million creds daily, then you are doing it right.

It's pretty easy, Augments and Kits, and then the previous day's cartel items. Should probably save up and buy Treek instead of trying to reach level 40 (Only 18).

Minion101

Banned
Psst, telekenesis Sage/Lightning Sorc is the best class to play. (Purely gameplay wise, they were having a competition for shittiest story though) Non-spoiler:
The sage won

After seeing a Hooded Lightning Sorcerer at the imperial fleet. It reminded me of my Shadow priest in WoW. Now I want to reroll.

Sorian

Banned
After seeing a Hooded Lightning Sorcerer at the imperial fleet. It reminded me of my Shadow priest in WoW. Now I want to reroll.

Based on what you said earlier,it sounds like you aren't to far along? I don't know what you are currently playing though, you might already have a fun class.

Minion101

Banned
Based on what you said earlier,it sounds like you aren't to far along? I don't know what you are currently playing though, you might already have a fun class.

I just have a level 15 MM Sniper. Playing for the story but I am enjoying him. If I had a main I think I'd be a Lightning Sorcerer cause they look cool. (I'm that kind of guy)

ps. I played a shadowpriest when they when they were terrible because shadowform looked pimp.

Sorian

Banned
I just have a level 15 MM Sniper. Playing for the story but I am enjoying him. If I had a main I think I'd be a Lightning Sorcerer cause they look cool. (I'm that kind of guy)

ps. I played a shadowpriest when they when they were terrible because shadowform looked pimp.

Haha, well I'd keep that going since Agent does have the best story (though I hated both sniper and operative gameplay). I play a lightning sorc has my main (have 8 characters so seen a good number of the advanced classes) and it is always a blast and yes, they tend to look cool.

Hex

Banned
Ok is this game worth it to play for a Star Wars fan who is mainly into PvE and not big into grouping, especially with strangers?
Played SWG from the very early days until they ruined it.

Ok is this game worth it to play for a Star Wars fan who is mainly into PvE and not big into grouping, especially with strangers?
Played SWG from the very early days until they ruined it.

Game is really solo friendly. It helps to do group activities to earn extra xp and to have something to do instead of boring filler for leveling.

Is there any reason not to grab one of the speeders that levels with your piloting skill off the GTN given how cheap they are? Do they have any shortcomings compared to the normal speeders?

Game is really solo friendly. It helps to do group activities to earn extra xp and to have something to do instead of boring filler for leveling.

Speaking as somebody fairly new to the game still, I'd go so far as to say that most of the content is designed for solo play, almost to the point where it sometimes feels like it would be a better game if it was single player so they could get rid of some of the filler, and the huge empty zones between objectives.

Not that I'm not enjoying myself.

Hex

Banned

Good to hear.
I am not anti social, just like to be able to jump in when I feel the urge but then just run off and explore when I have no idea how much time I will be on.

Is there any reason not to grab one of the speeders that levels with your piloting skill off the GTN given how cheap they are? Do they have any shortcomings compared to the normal speeders?

Nope, better deal than buying the vendor speeders unless your dead set on a specific look of a vendor speeder. But vendor speeder speeds don't scale so yea it's better to get the cheap gtn ones.

Heysoos

Good to hear.
I am not anti social, just like to be able to jump in when I feel the urge but then just run off and explore when I have no idea how much time I will be on.

You'll never really be "solo" which is nice. :) Companions really made the game quite a bit more enjoyable for me. They can be dumb sometimes, but make the leveling experience a bit better. Plus some of them have great back stories, and even have connections to companions from other classes, which is neat. Plus they'll do all the slave work for you.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I got my merc to 55 but I haven't been enjoying playing it all that much and don't really feel the drive to do endgame dailies and FP's and stuff, even though I want to get my reps up. I've been enjoying leveling my sorc and ptech though, so hopefully I can get one of them to 55 pretty quickly since sub+xp boosts makes things go by quite fast.

So I bought a speeder from the GTN, and while my speeder training is at 1 on the character, I seem to be much more resilient against getting booted off the speeder when getting shot, which is great. So as far as I can tell, in addition to being cheaper long term, buying one of these speeders is flat out better performance wise from the start.

After playing my Sentinel to level 35 so far, I was inspired to get a healer started up since they're so desired for group quests and flashpoints and the like, and I am having an absolute blast with my scoundrel. I'm still getting my head around the dedicated healer role in groups, but when going through the storyline solo, I just love the amount of battlefield control she has, every encounter just makes me feel like a bad-ass dancing effortlessly around the enemy, occasionally running up to kick one in the groin and shotgunning him in the back as he grabs his crotch in agony. So good.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I bought a speeder from the GTN, and while my speeder training is at 1 on the character, I seem to be much more resilient against getting booted off the speeder when getting shot, which is great. So as far as I can tell, in addition to being cheaper long term, buying one of these speeders is flat out better performance wise from the start.

After playing my Sentinel to level 35 so far, I was inspired to get a healer started up since they're so desired for group quests and flashpoints and the like, and I am having an absolute blast with my scoundrel. I'm still getting my head around the dedicated healer role in groups, but when going through the storyline solo, I just love the amount of battlefield control she has, every encounter just makes me feel like a bad-ass dancing effortlessly around the enemy, occasionally running up to kick one in the groin and shotgunning him in the back as he grabs his crotch in agony. So good.

Wait to you get your roll at 51 ;)

Moff

Good to hear.
as a star wars fan, download it, try it.
people even claim its a single player game, because it has tons of single player stuff. it also has much MMO content while leveling (much more than pandaria, for instance), but people called it a single player game anyway. MMO stuff is fun, but completely optional.

as a star wars fan, download it, try it.
people even claim its a single player game, because it has tons of single player stuff. it also has much MMO content while leveling (much more than pandaria, for instance), but people called it a single player game anyway. MMO stuff is fun, but completely optional.

Yeah you can easily get through the storylines without ever grouping up, just gotta skip out on (some/most) heroics and flashpoints and such, although those are pretty fun as well. Finding a group for heroics can be kind of rough on less populated planets, but you can always just queue for a flashpoint and do other things, so they are definitely worthwhile.

Sorian

Banned
Has anyone crunched the event achievements at all? Could you get everything in a week between multiple characters? (Specifically, I want the "Wanted: Dead or Alive" title.)

Rokam

Pretty sure it's possible, but you'll need a nice supply of characters and a little bit of luck. Dulfy posted a guide over on the swtor reddit with a breakdown of what you'll need to do.

Sorian

Banned
Pretty sure it's possible, but you'll need a nice supply of characters and a little bit of luck. Dulfy posted a guide over on the swtor reddit with a breakdown of what you'll need to do.

Sweet, I'll have to take a look after work. I have 8 characters and all of them are 40+ (only one of them can't do voss and above, the rest I can manage anywhere).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
PvP Infos

New Huttball map after 2.4

Looks like a solid step in the right direction. Still need to give me solo ranked ala LoL. Make world PvP matter.

Fixed your link, you had it backwards ;)

Interesting that they're removing 8v8 ranked but really so few people were doing them. Even when Shadowlands had a few of PVP guilds it was so rare and now that some of our PVP guilds moved to POT5 I doubt there has been any ranked play. Ranked play in Arenas will be much easier, especially since it'll try to match you up with other teams that are close to your average team rating.

Also VERY excited about a new Huttball map, I LOVE Huttball.

StudioTan

It looks like there actually will be Solo Ranked Queues for Arenas.

Yeah, it sounds really good. You can either queue solo or with 4, not 2 or 3. That should help with balance.

Rokam

Any impressions from the bounty event? Seems like it could be fun.

Awful, very poor implementation. Most of the event is spent on a load screen or waiting for an npc to spawn. Not to mention other people can screw you over if you're working towards the achievement as they can just kill your target and you can't capture them, so you have to start over.

HBroward

Considering so many guilds just spent tons of money transferring to Pot5 JUST TO PLAY RANKED matches, there are a lot of pissed off people right now. At least on Pot5 and among the people I play with.

So BioWare didn't make the spawns lock to one person when you use the item?

tumblr_mczzz0rR051r177aio1_400.jpg

Rokam

So BioWare didn't make the spawns lock to one person when you use the item?

tumblr_mczzz0rR051r177aio1_400.jpg

How could they possibly do that? It's not like there's tech for it that was introduced a week ago.

But seriously fuck people who attack your bounty target, have had to repeat a mission twice because some asshole rolls up and kills it before I can capture him.

Top Bottom