• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

They are the fighter-class ships that are current in the timeline. They're generally the ships you're shooting down hordes of in the missions, lol.

The player ships are generally corvette and light-freighter class and shouldn't be as maneuverable as Bioware made them, but gameplay be gameplay.

Player ships are highly customized, no different from what we see of the Falcon doing in the movies.

Mordeccai

I haven't logged into this game for probably three and a half months now. Today I just remembered I have ~ 2 million credits just sitting there and I think some items, so tonight after the client patches I'm going to hop on and give a few newbies a very nice surprise.

Before I do so, though, I'm wondering if GAF has any new players. If you've just started playing this game within the last week, quote me here or send me a PM and I'll send a decent amount of credits your way. If I only get one reply, that person will get a million. If I get several I'll figure out the amount later.

Hope you guys enjoy the game as much as I did. I just got kind of burnt out on end game and didn't feel like paying for a sub anymore. Think I had 20 days or so of playtime logged, so I'm content with the time I put in and enjoyment I got out.

Heysoos

I haven't logged into this game for probably three and a half months now. Today I just remembered I have ~ 2 million credits just sitting there and I think some items, so tonight after the client patches I'm going to hop on and give a few newbies a very nice surprise.

Before I do so, though, I'm wondering if GAF has any new players. If you've just started playing this game within the last week, quote me here or send me a PM and I'll send a decent amount of credits your way. If I only get one reply, that person will get a million. If I get several I'll figure out the amount later.

Hope you guys enjoy the game as much as I did. I just got kind of burnt out on end game and didn't feel like paying for a sub anymore. Think I had 20 days or so of playtime logged, so I'm content with the time I put in and enjoyment I got out.

If you're in the GAF guild an alternative is to donate to the guild bank. Just a suggestion :) Helping out a newbie is great too though.

On a related note, sub ends next week. Burnt out on solo queue PVP. The level/quality of matches took a nose dive, and they just don't pop as much as I would like. Plus with school starting up this past week and work keeping me busy. I haven't logged in to play since before I even bought FFXIV (not that I can even play), so I just figure it's time for a break. I'll probably still keep and eye on the game, but I think I may be at the end sadly. I heard they were removing restrictions on PVP though, so I may keep playing for that.

Q: Why not more playable species, like Nautilans?

A: Each species takes tons of time to develop for all the options, moves, and so on. Because Cathar sold well, they are in talks to see what should be next, but he does not know which one will be next.

Glad that the Cathar sold well enough for them to start planning the next race. Wonder what they will choose next.

Probably Voss, they mentioned them before about adding them and it would probably be easiest for them to do. But I would hope for something more unique like Nautilans or Torgruta.

And I really wish they would get to putting in some minigames or for fun activities into the game. Seriously how long have folks asked for Pazaak? Reading about FFXIV and how they will be adding in mini games in the future. Really would love for SWTOR to put in some activities for the heck of it that aren't just another rep grind.

Seeker droid treasure hunting was a nice little addition but they ruined it by removing the extra loot from it. And Bounty Hunting is kinda ok but a bit drab. Space combat stuff though looks good.

Giolon

Probably Voss, they mentioned them before about adding them and it would probably be easiest for them to do. But I would hope for something more unique like Nautilans or Torgruta.

And I really wish they would get to putting in some minigames or for fun activities into the game. Seriously how long have folks asked for Pazaak? Reading about FFXIV and how they will be adding in mini games in the future. Really would love for SWTOR to put in some activities for the heck of it that aren't just another rep grind.

Seeker droid treasure hunting was a nice little addition but they ruined it by removing the extra loot from it. And Bounty Hunting is kinda ok but a bit drab. Space combat stuff though looks good.

At the Cantina event I went to (San Francisco), the devs told us they wouldn't do Voss b/c it doesn't fit with the story timeline at all. How can you be a foreigner/newcomer to Voss if you're a Voss yourself? They felt they'd have to rewrite the planet story and didn't want to.

Even if it is a long shot, I think Voss would be cool, but Togruta is my number 1 most wanted.

Sorian

Banned
Oh shit, man down! D:
t65nwPS.jpg

Hope it's not a long one.

Also, Cystm, you get FFXIV yet?

I appreciated this post a lot lol thank you.

Glad to see that stuff is starting to come out for the space project. Unless plans have changed (which is completely possible), a lot of space actually won't be instanced at all. PvE quests will be instanced (similar to the space missions now but not on-rails) but much of space will be explorable and PvP ready.

Mordeccai

If you're in the GAF guild an alternative is to donate to the guild bank. Just a suggestion :) Helping out a newbie is great too though.

On a related note, sub ends next week. Burnt out on solo queue PVP. The level/quality of matches took a nose dive, and they just don't pop as much as I would like. Plus with school starting up this past week and work keeping me busy. I haven't logged in to play since before I even bought FFXIV (not that I can even play), so I just figure it's time for a break. I'll probably still keep and eye on the game, but I think I may be at the end sadly. I heard they were removing restrictions on PVP though, so I may keep playing for that.

Yeah I'll probably throw a few hundred k into the guild bank as the guild helped me out quite a bit and was great fun while I played.

I just signed on to try to send someone some credits and looks like Bioware made the dumbest move ever and removed the ability to send credits in mail unless you are a sub. What in the hell. Hopefully I'm still allowed to trade people credits!

fenners

I just signed on to try to send someone some credits and looks like Bioware made the dumbest move ever and removed the ability to send credits in mail unless you are a sub.

Anti-goldfarming I suspect.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Some good changes in the patch tonight - http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/2.3.2/942013

The biggest thing is fleet pass for subs is reduced to 9 hours and if you buy all three legacy perks you can reduce the cooldown to zero. Very handy.

2000 CCs for black/black and white/white dyes is pretty ridiculous though. Although it'll still be less credits on the GTN than they are now. Black/black is going for like 7 million on my server I think.

Some good changes in the patch tonight - http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/2.3.2/942013

The biggest thing is fleet pass for subs is reduced to 9 hours and if you buy all three legacy perks you can reduce the cooldown to zero. Very handy.

2000 CCs for black/black and white/white dyes is pretty ridiculous though. Although it'll still be less credits on the GTN than they are now. Black/black is going for like 7 million on my server I think.
I missed the timer reduction for quick travel while reading those earlier. That's awesome for F2P accounts. Waiting two hours to your quick travel to come down was a pain in the ass.

Mordeccai

Oh man and now I realize since I'm preferred all of my credits are in this dumb escrow thing, and you have to pay cartel coins to remove them from escrow.

Is there any way for me to pull my 1.8 mil credits out of this stupid escrow without subbing or paying in in coins? Maybe 50k at a time, since it appears thats the credit limit the game has set me at?

Oh man and now I realize since I'm preferred all of my credits are in this dumb escrow thing, and you have to pay cartel coins to remove them from escrow.

Is there any way for me to pull my 1.8 mil credits out of this stupid escrow without subbing or paying in in coins? Maybe 50k at a time, since it appears thats the credit limit the game has set me at?
You can purchase the escrow transfers off the GTN but at that point you're just spending credits to withdraw more of your credits. Other than that there isn't any other way to get the rest of your credits back without subbing or buying escrow transfers off of the cartel market.

Mordeccai

You can purchase the escrow transfers off the GTN but at that point you're just spending credits to withdraw more of your credits. Other than that there isn't any other way to get the rest of your credits back without subbing or buying escrow transfers off of the cartel market.

Heh, I lucked out here. The 600k escrows cost 240k on average, and my inventory only held 50k credits total. Asked for someone in the guild to buy me 2 of them on the GTN and I'd immediately trade them the cash but nobody had the liquid funds to do so. In a final act of desperation I checked the GTN and lo and behold! There were 2 600k transfers up there for 45 credits each. Mind was blown.

I was entertaining the thought of returning but to be honest this was the last nail in the coffin. As a sub for a good 5 months its kind of bullshit that you can't have access to all of your money, send items or credits in the mail, or access the guild bank. But I was more than happy to give them away so somebody else could have a fresh start

Much appreciation to Mordeccai, and glad to be about the Gaf Guild.

No problem man, just paying it forward. Have fun with the guild, they're a pretty active lot. Funny too. Had a lot of fun chatting with them on weekend nights about everything and nothing.

Logged in to play and found that my Jedi Sentinel, a very Irish looking freckled redhead, is wearing blackface at the character select screen. I decide to log her in to see if the apparent bug ends there, and upon arriving in game find her face is now some bright shade of purple, and her eyes are not rendering at all. All other characters appear to be fine. I'm repairing my install now to see if that does anything. Last week it was all human males simply being invisible. I just want to finish my Jedi Knight story before my sub time runs out, damn it!

Well, got that fixed, noticed logging in now that I'm getting the splash screen describing the opening to Hutt Cartel when I'm still not done with my class story. It's mostly pretty vague, but man, I'm sick of this game dropping spoilers of its own content just because I've been thorough in going through the content, and thereby am at a higher level than they apparently expect. I'm not sure what the solution is on flashpoints and stuff, since they want to get you into them at the appropriate level, but when one of the intros helpfully informed me, for example, that
my master was dead
hours before it happened, wow was that a turn off.

Edit: ...and I spoke too soon. Now my eyes are glowing orbs of pink nothing. How... whimsical.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I guess it's safe to say that this will be an expansion. Now I wonder just what else they will be putting it with or if it's just space content.

Moff

I would love it it was an expansion, but my buest guess is that its a new kind of pvp, so there will be warzones and there will be space pvp. whatever it is, I hope its just the beginning of more, because it looks awesome.

I would love it it was an expansion, but my buest guess is that its a new kind of pvp, so there will be warzones and there will be space pvp. whatever it is, I hope its just the beginning of more, because it looks awesome.
Definitely. All of this sounds awesome so I hope they are working on tons of space content.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Holy shit my body is ready for space. First thing I've really been excited about related to SWTOR pretty much since the game's early days.

Moff

anyone else especially excited by the "power management"? reminds me of the good old days

first I thought it was silly that you dont use your own ship, but now with the models of different ships with different tactical roles, I am very happy with this. now I just want it as soon as possible.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
anyone else especially excited by the "power management"? reminds me of the good old days

Yeah that entire lower left corner of the UI is straight outta TIE fighter. (or x wing if you are rebel scum)

def sim

I'll probably jump back in if the space expansion is any good. I really liked what little of it is in the current game.

SuperBonk

Just started playing this since I heard F2P got a lot better. Really enjoying it solo so far, if only because of the Star Wars license.

Thinking of joining the GAF guild. Is it relatively beginner friendly? I know next to nothing about MMOs.

The score tracker and such makes it look like pvp will be warzone based like. Makes sense since open world pvp would be eaten apart by server population imbalances.

As long as there is pve space content I'll be happy.

bjb

Banned
What's considered a lot of Credits in this game now a days?

Also, I tried to reactive one of my level 50's while I was installing, and it never worked. Now when I try to re-launch the game - everything is gone, including the server lists = /

What's considered a lot of Credits in this game now a days?

Also, I tried to reactive one of my level 50's while I was installing, and it never worked. Now when I try to re-launch the game - everything is gone, including the server lists = /
I'm not sure what the average amount of credits is these days. Players make millions a day just selling augments and cartel market items on the GTN.

Reactivating old characters is kind of bugged but easy to deal with. Just click on the activate button and if it stalls just head back to server select then back into your server and the character will be activated.

You can use the repair option in the launcher to see if it brings back the server list. Other than that I do not know.

StudioTan

Just started playing this since I heard F2P got a lot better. Really enjoying it solo so far, if only because of the Star Wars license.

Thinking of joining the GAF guild. Is it relatively beginner friendly? I know next to nothing about MMOs.

I can't speak to the GAF guild specifically but joining a guild is a good idea. The whole fun of MMOs is playing with others, and say this as someone who doesn't play multiplayer in other genres very much. They can help when you have questions as MMOs can get a little overwhelming.

As for general advice just remember that progress can be a bit slow in MMOs, level 30 is where you finally start to come into your own as a class.

carterr

Neo Member
Damn, half of the people I tried from the list of Gaf Empire do not exist, I will wait and see if anyone turns up but if anyone knows of anyone active in the guild that can recruit that I can keep an eye out for let me know.

Sadly Empire GAF is a parking garage these days, so most of the people in GAF with imperial alts have joined a more active partner guild Battlestation Sexywagon, http://sexywagon.enjin.com/
though we can get you an invite to GAF Empire if you really want.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20130910

Rise of the Hutt Cartel is going to be given free to all subscribers this week.

Anyone who bought it previously is getting a unique title reward.

Course people are already shitting on the decision to give recent buyers a bunch of cartel coins while those who bought it a while ago get nothing but a title. But I can't fault them, Bioware is looking real bad here giving away the expansion for free 6 months after release. I mean, I expected them to eventually discount the expansion and then offer it for free before the next dlc pack. Bioware is just so out of touch with common sense. Making this out to be some kind of subscriber benefit, when most subscribers likely already got the expansion? Did they not learn anything from the shit storm from their previous pathetic subscriber appreciation offer. Thank you to all those who bought the expansion, here it is for free now a few months later. Really?

They need to look at many of the other mmos and how they handle vet rewards and reward their subscribers.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Course people are already shitting on the decision to give recent buyers a bunch of cartel coins while those who bought it a while ago get nothing but a title. But I can't fault them, Bioware is looking real bad here giving away the expansion for free 6 months after release. I mean, I expected them to eventually discount the expansion and then offer it for free before the next dlc pack. Bioware is just so out of touch with common sense. Making this out to be some kind of subscriber benefit, when most subscribers likely already got the expansion? Did they not learn anything from the shit storm from their previous pathetic subscriber appreciation offer. Thank you to all those who bought the expansion, here it is for free now a few months later. Really?

They need to look at many of the other mmos and how they handle vet rewards and reward their subscribers.

Yeah this is pretty bullshit, they should give everyone who bought it equal value in cartel coins. This just lets people know not to buy future expansions because they will become free in less than half a year. Reward non-adopters and late adopters and take a dump on loyal customers, great business model.

Anoregon

lol I bought it like a month ago. Shit on me, I guess.

kmz

Neo Member
If you bought it after August 11 you'll be getting some coins.

Early adopters almost by definition pay more than latecomers. Games half a year after release are usually at least $20-$40 cheaper than at launch. *shrugs*

Well I know better next time not to buy the next expansion. I'll get it for free 5 months later!

ShaneB

It should've been free to subscribers to begin with.

Been playing a little again here and there with f2p, and it's enjoyable in short little bursts again.

If you bought it after August 11 you'll be getting some coins.

Early adopters almost by definition pay more than latecomers. Games half a year after release are usually at least $20-$40 cheaper than at launch. *shrugs*

6 months to free is a pretty big jump. And what did we get out of buying it early? There was almost nothing released in the game in that period except for cartel market content and that pathetic Titans of Industry update which was made available to all, including free2play customers. I'm sorry but what did we pay all those months of sub fee for? $6 in cartel coins a month? What a joke, and it just devalues their expansion release plans for the future. Also announcing it 2 days before you start the promotion? Lack of communication skills, this should have been announced earlier, your going to have lot of unhappy folks who missed the cut off even for compensation cartel coins. This should have been free for subscribers when the next expansion is about to come out since that will likely raise the level cap and everything again, as to not leave folks behind. Put it on sale for f2p players too, let them get caught up and possibly bait the hook to get them into the next dlc or to sub themselves.

They are trumpeting this as a subscriber benefit though which is what is sad. Majority of subscribers already paid money for this and then we were complaining about the 8 month gap in which we got no new content for our subs? Thanks for buying the expansion and putting up with our huge content gap, here.... have a title? They are clearly clueless in how to take care of their subscribers when they are giving away a copy of what majority of them have already paid for. How about fucking thanking us with some actual support? It's pretty appalling after the wide content gap of them not putting anything out to trumpet this out as some kind of benefit.

StudioTan

6 months to free is a pretty big jump.

The expansion was $10, it's not like it was a traditional $50-$60 expansion pack. For 10 bucks you got access to levels 51-55, which includes the new operations, and Makeb for 6 months. I certainly don't feel cheated by that. All expansions are eventually free when you get the base game, that's how MMOs work. SWG Jump to Lightspeed was a paid expansion in Nov 2004 and 7 months later the second expansion came out and JTL was included in the box with the base game and the second expansion. It happens.

My guess is they are getting ready to announce the space expansion, which will likely cost money, and they want everyone to be able to get to 55 before that is released.

Hex

Banned
The expansion was $10, it's not like it was a traditional $50-$60 expansion pack. For 10 bucks you got access to levels 51-55, which includes the new operations, and Makeb for 6 months. I certainly don't feel cheated by that. All expansions are eventually free when you get the base game, that's how MMOs work. SWG Jump to Lightspeed was a paid expansion in Nov 2004 and 7 months later the second expansion came out and JTL was included in the box with the base game and the second expansion. It happens.

My guess is they are getting ready to announce the space expansion, which will likely cost money, and they want everyone to be able to get to 55 before that is released.

This is the way I see it too.
You pay for the early access. You pay to get everything first, be bigger and better first.
It is the way it has been in the MMO game for time immeasurable.
I think even most of those complaining know that somewhere in their heads, they just want to get something if they can get away with it.

carterr

Neo Member
$10 was a fair price for the access to the new Operation alone as someone who raids a ton. Makeb was cool but spaced out at $2 a month I don't feel cheated.

Edit: On a side note, I see the logic in most of these decisions. They have doubled their income since switching to F2P and can maintain a healthy group of subscribers. I don't think I have seen too much of a decline in overall game quality when it comes to end game content in comparison to other mmo's. With two new operations and new pvp arenas coming out in approximately a month, I am happy with the progression of content as a subscriber. They are a profit driven company after all, if they can make more by focusing on the cartel stuff then I really can't blame them.

I don't see anyone who bought the expansion at or near release as having any real reason to complain. As somebody who bought it a few weeks ago, I'm a little upset, but even then, more about the principle than anything, I mean it was only 10 dollars. 10 dollars I'd be happy to have right now, but still.

Edit: ah, I see now that people who bought during the last 30 days are getting a refund in the form of cartel coins; well here's hoping I wasn't a day early or some crap like that!

Edit 2: Well I certainly bought it as a subscriber in the time frame, but am currently back to preferred. I wonder if I'll still get the coins in that instance...

HBroward

Do we know when the new patch and content will drop? I may come back for a bit for that, depending on where our status with the end game of FF14 is at that point.

Tarazet

I tried downloading and playing this game again while FFXIV was in maintenance last week. I don't mind that there was shit all to do at 50 without the expansion and without a sub, but the game actually seemed to lag even at low resolution. I put my bars together and tried to make sense of the new MM rotation, but it was terrible. It felt like a shadow of the game I loved and played from release up to raiding in EC.

Alur

Do we know when the new patch and content will drop? I may come back for a bit for that, depending on where our status with the end game of FF14 is at that point.

Surely you have almost gotten full up in at least Darklight by now. You were 50 at least a week before me, and I've been 50 for nearly a week now. EDIT: Also haven't even started on endgame. Leveling those subclasses OMG! First MMO I liked to level in.

I am curious about this (potential) space expansion, but it'll have to be everything we wanted it to be in 2011 to pull me back in.

Top Bottom