• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

So the wife started playing again, and now I've jumped into playing. Both my wife and I are subscribers. We're still in the GAF empire guild but apparently no one else is. Is there a new GAF guild we could join?

Got some questions. Is anybody on Jedi Covenant? Getting back into this is a bit disorienting. I'm basically a wow player that's dabbled in other mmos.

I'm a sith Juggarnaut, any tips for tanking in this as opposed to something like WoW?

Also, how hard is it to make money in this game? The economy seems really odd. I have no idea what anything is actually worth, or if crafting is even worth it.

Is anything worth it on the cartel market?

Any tips for folks just getting back into it?

*edit* Also, I got some crystals from pre-order, and also from the Razer MMO mouse that was sold when this game out. Is there any place to buy more of those crystals? They're green with a black core.

Thanks!
I can't answer all of your questions but I'll try to get most of them.

The Empire guild is mainly an alt guild now for those in the GAF Republic guild. The Republic guild is still going strong I believe. Here's the officer page if you want to get in touch. http://torgaf.com/officers
Both guilds are still on Jedi Covenant.

It's not hard to make money in this game. Most of it will come from doing your daily missions and such. Cartel market items are a big money maker on the GTN, especially the rare stuff from the packs.

You can purchase more of those preorder and Razer crystals from vendors in-game. The preorder one is located on the Fleet and should be near the Crew Skills section. The Razer crystal vendors are located on Dromund Kaas and Coruscant.
I haven't played since early June or so. Anything big happened since then?
Here's a list of what has happened since then.

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/major_changes#wiki_2.3_.7E_august_2013

2.3 was pretty much the only thing that has happened. 2.4 should be here early October.

Heysoos

So the wife started playing again, and now I've jumped into playing. Both my wife and I are subscribers. We're still in the GAF empire guild but apparently no one else is. Is there a new GAF guild we could join?

Got some questions. Is anybody on Jedi Covenant? Getting back into this is a bit disorienting. I'm basically a wow player that's dabbled in other mmos.

I'm a sith Juggarnaut, any tips for tanking in this as opposed to something like WoW?

Also, how hard is it to make money in this game? The economy seems really odd. I have no idea what anything is actually worth, or if crafting is even worth it.

Is anything worth it on the cartel market?

Any tips for folks just getting back into it?

*edit* Also, I got some crystals from pre-order, and also from the Razer MMO mouse that was sold when this game out. Is there any place to buy more of those crystals? They're green with a black core.

Thanks!

If you're talking about the original Empire GAF, that died quite a long time ago. The new Empire GAF guild left basically became a parking spot for alts for those in the Rep GAF guild. I know the Rep Gaf guys are friends with an Imp guild with a lot of their imp alts there, so I'm sure they can find you a spot in there. Carter here should be able to give you more details.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I haven't played since early June or so. Anything big happened since then?

Well, they teased the Super Secret Space Project, so there's that if you weren't following SWTOR news. I'm thinking we may hear more details next month. They have a cantina tour stop during the New York Comic Con.

If you're talking about the original Empire GAF, that died quite a long time ago. The new Empire GAF guild left basically became a parking spot for alts for those in the Rep GAF guild. I know the Rep Gaf guys are friends with an Imp guild with a lot of their imp alts there, so I'm sure they can find you a spot in there. Carter here should be able to give you more details.

I see there are guild perks as well. We were thinking of starting new republic characters as well.

Can someone pm me about getting into both guilds? I really enjoy the social aspect of MMOs and as of now I feel like playing a coop game.

Are the cartel packs worth it? I take it they're like booster packs from a card game, right? you have a chance to get something, you just don't know what?

Cystm

Are the cartel packs worth it? I take it they're like booster packs from a card game, right? you have a chance to get something, you just don't know what?

Packs work like this basically:

• Two Rare bonus items with a chance of a Super Rare
  • Chances of a Super Rare bonus item are greater than from a Black Market Cartel Pack.
  • One boost item, for either Experience or Social Points.
  • One crafting material of at least Prototype quality.
  • One companion gift of at least Prototype quality.
  • Packs contain Rare bonus items not found in any other Cartel Market Pack

Worth it? Aesthetically, yes. For leveling purposes? No, because you can just buy XP boosts and any of the gear you want of the GTN anyway.

E: Dulfy is your go to resource for the Cartel Packs and patch previews.

fenners

Packs work like this basically:

Worth it? Aesthetically, yes. For leveling purposes? No, because you can just buy XP boosts and any of the gear you want of the GTN anyway.

Isn't the "Going Places" booster pack worth buying for new subscribers? It's the one with Rocket Boost unlocks etc.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Isn't the "Going Places" booster pack worth buying for new subscribers? It's the one with Rocket Boost unlocks etc.

Yeah. If you're a sub you'll get 500 free coins and rocket boost is worth it, especially right now as the pack is 40% off and only 375 CCs.

So last patch updated the seeker droid quest stuff. They nerfed the seeker droids a few months back and pretty much killed it off as an activity that people did. You used to be able to dig and make decent credits just doing it and getting some ok gear and stuff to vendor off along with the special rewards, so they took away almost everything but the "special" rewards and increased the rate you found the armor/speeder parts. In half an hour was able to get full set of a single speeder, it was silly since it made repeating the seeker digs pointless. Lot of folks were pissed off on the forum. Essentially you dig up the armor set or speeders, there was nothing else to do.

Well they went back and revamped the rewards. Now higher end grade 9 and 10 mats can be dug up, rep reward tokens, and now random pieces of basic gear. Unlike the original seeker dig sites, you don't hit as often, but now when you do you usually get something that has some worth. Takes lot more time investment to find stuff though which I think still will turn folks off despite the greater rewards. Dug up basic gear still brings in good money on the GTN. About an hour of digging and selling everything on the GTN netted me about 300k.... not too bad, but I can imagine folks not being as lucky with some of the rewards, like the chest with GSI rep tokens or more basic coms at this point.

so i got an email saying i can get the hutt expansion free. haven't played since month 2 of the game.

There much of an end game now? Is there any sort of dungeon matching system? Are guardians still kinda mediocre tanks?

so i got an email saying i can get the hutt expansion free. haven't played since month 2 of the game.

There much of an end game now? Is there any sort of dungeon matching system? Are guardians still kinda mediocre tanks?

Well in a few weeks next update hits, so the game will have 7 raids. 2 new hard mode flashpoints were added along with the other 4 lvl55 hm upgrades that are part of the expansion level upgrade. There is a group finder for quite a while now. New daily hub also being added in a few weeks so there is about 4 different areas where one can do endgame dailies now at 55. They have also been upgrading raids with extra difficulties adding in nightmare mode variants for even tougher than HM versions with different encounter mechanics.

There is also two recurring events right now like bounty hunting and the gree event that keeps coming back, which offer entry level endgame coms too like daily quests do. Reputation levels have also been added to various factions in the game that you can raise up to unlock stuff via unique vendors, mainly cosmetic items, unique mounts, etc. Reputation is also legacy wide based, so all progress on one character is counted for all characters on that legacy account.

Guardians/Jugs are fantastic tanks. As DPS is where they are questionable and folks are pushing for improvements.

does the game run any better now?

I remember taking 10 min to load up the game... and then the game was running at 5fps and i had to restart it.

that hero engine.

They have had several optimization updates that improved how the game looks as well as it running much better overall.

Game still has long ass load times, especially for the huge planets in the game, it's the one problem they never have been able to fix.

A bust of speed that can be used to greatly increase the rate at which you level. In areas where you cannot mount in particular, it mitigates on foot travel time significantly.

Yea its a short burst of speed equal to the top mount speeds. Main thing about rocket boots are they can be used in places mounts aren't allowed such as in instances.

For some reason it looked like the rocket boost was a class thing. I had no idea that it was something anyone could use.

Thanks!

I was looking into what it would cost to get Revan's mask or Darth Nihilus' mask. JESUS.

StudioTan

For some reason it looked like the rocket boost was a class thing. I had no idea that it was something anyone could use.

Thanks!

I was looking into what it would cost to get Revan's mask or Darth Nihilus' mask. JESUS.

Those were super rare drops from one of the cartel packs and those packs aren't sold any more, so yeah.

StudioTan

Likely it won't be actually public testing, only available to the closed testers and internal.

Yeah, they were hiring for internal testers for Oct 1st so they might have them testing on a closed PTS for a bit first. It would be nice if it was out before Christmas. If it really is the next patch after 2.4 that would put it at Dec 1st if they keep it on the 6-8 week schedule. Plus if it's a paid expansion they might want it out for Christmas as well.

is that really a cartel market symbol? doesnt look like one to me.
that would be a desaster

They better not be so stupid. They said themselves they realized there mistake at selling ship gear for the hard mode space missions for cartel coins. But of course they love to go back on what they have said in the past.

Just /who GAF and whisper a member, tell them to shoot you an in game invite if you haven't already joined.

Thanks, man. Just got in. If my wife decides to make a republic character, will it be an issue getting her in as well? She was in the old empire gaf.

Thanks!

carterr

Neo Member
Thanks, man. Just got in. If my wife decides to make a republic character, will it be an issue getting her in as well? She was in the old empire gaf.

Thanks!

We're open to anyone interested in playing or having a good time, just do the same thing as before. Have her apply on the website and whisper a member for an in game invite.

God damn, sorry to blow the thread up with so many questions. I'm looking for a site for TOR that's similar to ICYVEINS for wow. All the stuff I've been able to find so far is out of date, like on Noxxic. Does anyone have any up-to-date resources they use? I'm looking for information on leveling a Sith Juggernaut and a Maurader. Trying to find optimal builds, legacy perks to purchase, etc.

For reference, I'd like to tank instances like I did in WoW (and raids if I have time) and leveling a blood DK was the easiest shit ever in wow. Someone told me the immortal tree is like that but my google-fu appears to be hella lacking. :(

God damn, sorry to blow the thread up with so many questions. I'm looking for a site for TOR that's similar to ICYVEINS for wow. All the stuff I've been able to find so far is out of date, like on Noxxic. Does anyone have any up-to-date resources they use? I'm looking for information on leveling a Sith Juggernaut and a Maurader. Trying to find optimal builds, legacy perks to purchase, etc.

For reference, I'd like to tank instances like I did in WoW (and raids if I have time) and leveling a blood DK was the easiest shit ever in wow. Someone told me the immortal tree is like that but my google-fu appears to be hella lacking. :(

If you want to tank, then yea just stick mainly to the immortal tree for Jug with only a few deviations of your choice. You will want essentially all the defensive based picks from that tree either way, anything else is kinda up to you if your going to be doing some pvp, bit more utility, or extra damage with how you spend any extra leftover points.

StudioTan

Kolto Orbital Strike

Got this in my first pack, bought 7 in all with free coins I had sitting around. Got 3 pieces of the Cassius Fett armour too including the helmet. Not bad.

Flunkie

Banned
Just started playing this not too long ago. I'm F2P but enjoying it as something mindless to come back to every now and then. I don't have access to guilds with F2P do I?

So I got a few cartel market certificates. How can I earn more? I'd like to pick up Nihilus' mask with some if I can afford it. Are they only in cartel packs? Can you buy them on the GTN?

StudioTan

So I got a few cartel market certificates. How can I earn more? I'd like to pick up Nihilus' mask with some if I can afford it. Are they only in cartel packs? Can you buy them on the GTN?

Only in packs but luckily, even though the reputation is different for these new set of packs, the certificates are the same. Don't forget you can find packs on the GTN, on my server they go for about 220-250k each.

Enosh

hmm didn't play in like a year and thinking of checking back

didn't instal the game yet again but think someone might have hacked my account, there are no cartel coins on my acc even through i used to be a subscriber for like half a year and there is an imperial agent character I don't remember creating (checked under character transfer)

stealth edit: thinking about it I might ahve logged in once after f2p went live, not 100% sure
edit2: wait remember reading something about having to log in before getting the coins in the first place, so might have been just that ^^

will most probably make a new character since I want to go republic anyway
The Red Eclipse (eu that is) server any good as far as the republic side goes or everyone still playing empire? ^^

Cystm

Edit: nvm.

A few people have xfered to other servers. GAF guild is on US east Jedi Covenant, but I am not sure about the Euro servers.

Enosh

well created a character there and at least the trooper starting zone seems pretty live

on the negative side I can only choose between 3 races QQ, wanted to be the green guys thingy
well have a green trooper but that one is on a pvp server and I really don't feel like dealing with that bullshit, especially since when i left it was a very heavy empire side server

so human it is
kinda sad to see so much stuff has to be bought with the cartel coins, but i guess that is to be expected in a f2p game
will see, if i enjoy it agian I might just pay for 2 months

Tacitus_

Any of the new content worth it to reinstall / possibly purchase? I haven't played since pretty much the very beginning and I'm getting an itch to continue the story.

Any of the new content worth it to reinstall / possibly purchase? I haven't played since pretty much the very beginning and I'm getting an itch to continue the story.

Makeb expansion stuff was good, with the Empire and Republic having completely different storylines and quests. The Shroud quest line was also kinda neat with lots of puzzles, though very long series of events and need a group for the final part, which is a very long quest too. The expansion content is now available for free to anyone who subscribers to the game.

Rest of additions have been more enclosed daily like quest zones, new flashpoints, and new raids so depends if you are into any of that stuff either. The new FP's and Raids were all pretty good.

Tacitus_

Makeb expansion stuff was good, with the Empire and Republic having completely different storylines and quests. The Shroud quest line was also kinda neat with lots of puzzles, though very long series of events and need a group for the final part, which is a very long quest too. The expansion content is now available for free to anyone who subscribers to the game.

Rest of additions have been more enclosed daily like quest zones, new flashpoints, and new raids so depends if you are into any of that stuff either. The new FP's and Raids were all pretty good.

Cheers. Might buy the expansion at some point then. Not really interested in raiding in TOR since I'm already doing that in WoW, but didn't they patch in some story mode thing for the raids?

Are they removing the restriction on pvp for f2p accounts with tomorrows patch? Thought I read they were getting rid of that but see it's still in the game.

Cheers. Might buy the expansion at some point then. Not really interested in raiding in TOR since I'm already doing that in WoW, but didn't they patch in some story mode thing for the raids?

If you sub the expansion is free now included. You only have to pay for the expansion if you play f2p.

The various daily areas added have had little quest chains attached as well. The Black Hole on Corellia, Section X on Belsavis, and now the Czerka moon hub. The patch tomorrow is also adding another one with a story quest chain for lvl 55's on the planet Oricon. Usually you get a quest that starts a short story for these via quest chain, and once you do it your introduced to the dailies for these hubs to repeat for lootz and reputation rewards.

The raids all have story modes, basically easy mode and you can use group finder to play them, but they are still raids and require you to have end game gear. Pretty much all raids now have 3 difficulty modes.

StudioTan

New data mined stuff for the space expansion for those interested. Seems quite complex and personally I'm most excited that you can paint your ships with patterns that can be coloured as you please. The crew stuff seems to work a bit like STO with the crew members you choose giving you passive and active skills.

The expansion is free now if you sub for a month which I would recommend if you're considering it since it'll make life easier and the expansion is quite good. All the raids have a story mode, hard mode and most (all?) have a nightmare mode as well. Plus 8 and 16 man versions of each. The story mode is pretty much easy mode and doesn't require high end gear. Even if you raid in WoW I would consider doing the new ones as they are really fun. Terror From Beyond is my personal favorite, a lot of fun mechanics in the boss fights.

Tomorrow they are bringing in 3 new 4v4 arena warzones with a 4th coming at some point soon. They're straight death match, best 2 out of 3.

If you haven't played since launch, more so than new content, they've also done a lot for quality of life issues. It should be a much better experience than you might remember.

EDIT: Damn, I took a long time to write my post, BattleMonkey pretty much covered it all :p

Tacitus_

If you sub the expansion is free now included. You only have to pay for the expansion if you play f2p.

The various daily areas added have had little quest chains attached as well. The Black Hole on Corellia, Section X on Belsavis, and now the Czerka moon hub. The patch tomorrow is also adding another one with a story quest chain for lvl 55's on the planet Oricon. Usually you get a quest that starts a short story for these via quest chain, and once you do it your introduced to the dailies for these hubs to repeat for lootz and reputation rewards.

The raids all have story modes, basically easy mode and you can use group finder to play them, but they are still raids and require you to have end game gear. Pretty much all raids now have 3 difficulty modes.

Wait, you get it permanently? Isn't that a 5$ discount in effect if you sub for just a month?

Wait, you get it permanently? Isn't that a 5$ discount in effect if you sub for just a month?

The expansion? I believe you get to keep it if you unsub, I don't think they can take it away once you earn it. Expansion used to be $20 for non subscribers, and $10 for those who are subbed to the game.

It sounds like another expansion might be out by the holidays or end of the year (The space project), so they must be trying to push everyone forward.

Top Bottom