• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

Damn my buddy bought it at 1 am and got everything registered fine, sounds like shit hit the fan soon after.

This is the site to use your preorder code you got:
http://preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

EDIT: I made a character on Goblin and Ultros, it's Ishamael Nae'blis on both if anyone wants to add me.

I'm Norad West on Ultros

:D

I tried to add both of you but it was saying character not found. Is their friend system unable to find folks who are offline?

At any rate, I'm in there on Ultros as well for what it's worth.

Zafir

I tried to add both of you but it was saying character not found. Is their friend system unable to find folks who are offline?

At any rate, I'm in there on Ultros as well for what it's worth.
The players have to be online when you try adding them, aye.

Hex

Banned
Ok next round of questions lol.
First: for my scoundrel, is Cybercraft (along with his slicing and scavenging) a good way to go? I picked it up because I could not find any ear pieces (people charge stupid prices for anything and everything on the terminal...75,000 credits for a level 11 blaster pistol? really?) and I heard that they could make speeders down the line and mods might be good but now I have heard that the crafted speeders suck (if they even make them anymore)- so is it a profitable way to go still and will I make anything useful or is there something better.
(Right now my two toons are the Jedi Sage and a Scoundrel- Sage is doing the archeology-underworld-synthweaving).

Question 2:
Legacy: How does it work.
Do I make a last name and anyone with that last name on the same server gets the perks?
Do they have to be the same species?
I know it can cross from Sith to Republic at least.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
First: for my scoundrel, is Cybercraft (along with his slicing and scavenging) a good way to go? I picked it up because I could not find any ear pieces (people charge stupid prices for anything and everything on the terminal...75,000 credits for a level 11 blaster pistol? really?) and I heard that they could make speeders down the line and mods might be good but now I have heard that the crafted speeders suck (if they even make them anymore)- so is it a profitable way to go still and will I make anything useful or is there something better.
(Right now my two toons are the Jedi Sage and a Scoundrel- Sage is doing the archeology-underworld-synthweaving).

Question 2:
Do I make a last name and anyone with that last name on the same server gets the perks?

Can't comment too much on your first question about making money as a Cybertech but they are useful for making mods. I tend to use all orange gear as I level and just switch out the mods. Slicing can be very profitable though.

As for your Legacy questions, ALL you characters on that server share the same legacy. The name you pick applies to all of them and can either show it as a last name (ie Hex Skywalker) or as a legacy (ie Hex <The Skywalker Legacy>) or you can choose to not show it at all.

Alur

Question 2:

Cybertech is fine, but you should just do whatever you want and not worry about it much. Outside of some PVP uses or money making, there's not a lot of difference at max level.

As for your legacy, you pick a name and then all your characters on that server get the perks (and have the name). No, they don't have to be the same species. It just carries over and levels with each character you have.

So again on their 2.4 info they are saying "story missions", but dont go into detail and seem to list it separate from the 2 operations coming. Wonder what or how this will be handled. Some actual new quests to do on current planets? Can't imagine them adding another daily area so fast.

Heysoos

As I'm playing FFXIV, I really come to appreciate SWTOR's story a lot more. Even with some storylines being boring, everything felt well put together. It flowed pretty well, and I never found myself lost. Right now, I don't even know what's going on in the story of FFXIV or if I'm even doing the main storyline anymore.

Tarazet

As I'm playing FFXIV, I really come to appreciate SWTOR's story a lot more. Even with some storylines being boring, everything felt well put together. It flowed pretty well, and I never found myself lost. Right now, I don't even know what's going on in the story of FFXIV or if I'm even doing the main storyline anymore.

And all of it being (well) voice-acted, too.

Heysoos

And all of it being (well) voice-acted, too.

Yep, that too. Imagine my surprise when I got a voiced cut scene in FFXIV. Came out of no where too. Also there was one scene that was supposed to be dramatic with a character yelling damn you to hell or something around that. It was really bad.

Sorian

Banned
Yep, that too. Imagine my surprise when I got a voiced cut scene in FFXIV. Came out of no where too. Also there was one scene that was supposed to be dramatic with a character yelling damn you to hell or something around that. It was really bad.

Still a JRPG at the end of the day. I love me some JRPGs but you should know what to expect in the voice acting.

Heysoos

Oh shit, man down! D:
t65nwPS.jpg

Hope it's not a long one.

Also, Cystm, you get FFXIV yet?

Alur

I don't mind the story so bad, I find it at least as good as the crappy consular story was for the most part. The no VA thing is weird, though, after playing SWTOR for so long. All that said, though, I am enjoying having new worlds and new things and new people...and not knowing WTF I'm doing.

On a more SWTOR related note, I cancelled my account sub finally to start up the FFXIV one. I have some creds (at least a million I believe) if any of you folks still playing are in need and are on Jedi Covenant.

From what I've played of FFXIV the story is interesting to me. Having voice overs in only certain parts of the story is a bit weird. Sometimes there are moments that feel really important that don't have any voice overs tied to it which is strange.

HBroward

FF14's story has really high highs, and really low lows. You go from an epic quest and fight to a chain of fetch missions and filler. The actual story that is there could wind up being pretty good, there has been enough interesting stuff shown to have me excited to level. But yeah I have been on Goblin so far. I hit 30 and unlocked WHM today...

And got my unicorn. At least I don't sit side saddle! I was kinda worried. Thinking about leveling a black mage too, I have to level a thaum anyway for that swiftcast skill.

So yea Star Wars is cool....

Anyways it does look like there is a new daily area in 2.4 as well. Rep Vendor for the new planet has been revealed with some as usual very bleh looking items.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, it's a pretty cool looking overall except for those fucking bat ears.

Heysoos

Question, if I let my sub run out, What exactly happens to all my money? I'm talking about 10m+ on one of my characters and a couple of mils on other alts. I know Bioware put a limit on how much free users can hold, but if I were to resub, it'd be pretty shitty to have lost all that money.

Either way, planning on letting my sub end. For now at least, I'm enjoying FFXIV, coupled with school and work, I just don't see me playing much at all. Would rather save my money. Plus PVP has been growing extremely stale lately, so maybe some time off will do good.

Question, if I let my sub run out, What exactly happens to all my money? I'm talking about 10m+ on one of my characters and a couple of mils on other alts. I know Bioware put a limit on how much free users can hold, but if I were to resub, it'd be pretty shitty to have lost all that money.

Either way, planning on letting my sub end. For now at least, I'm enjoying FFXIV, coupled with school and work, I just don't see me playing much at all. Would rather save my money. Plus PVP has been growing extremely stale lately, so maybe some time off will do good.
You'll have 350,000 credits max to spend on that character and the rest goes into the credit escrow. When you resub you'll have the credit cap dropped and have all 10 million to spend once again.

Hex

Banned
Mickey Mouse in our SWTOR man, it's that Disney influence now!

Looks more like Ratchet.
No effective way to move goods from a Sith character of yours to a Republic character of yours even on a non pvp server right? (I would think not, but now I find myself wanting to make a Sith so I would like to be able to send them crafted items even if it is lowbie to lowbie)

fenners

Looks more like Ratchet.
No effective way to move goods from a Sith character of yours to a Republic character of yours even on a non pvp server right? (I would think not, but now I find myself wanting to make a Sith so I would like to be able to send them crafted items even if it is lowbie to lowbie)

Can't you just send them via msg? I've transferred credits & xp boost items between republic/imperial characters like that.

On a more SWTOR related note, I cancelled my account sub finally to start up the FFXIV one. I have some creds (at least a million I believe) if any of you folks still playing are in need and are on Jedi Covenant.

Heya! I'm on Jedi Covenant and could use a few credits if you're still offering!

Hex

Banned
How is are the GAF guilds?
I am pretty casual, more into the story and only have time to jump in game here and there due to work and domestic ties but not anti social by any means.
But could be forever before I can level cap and be super useful for endgame scenarios.
I am a subscriber if that helps though.
Read through the site, and it is pretty cool, I just do not want to be dead weight and drag anyone down.

Republic :Fiadh, Neimh
Sith: Alraun

I am pretty casual, more into the story and only have time to jump in game here and there due to work and domestic ties but not anti social by any means.
But could be forever before I can level cap and be super useful for endgame scenarios.
Read through the site, and it is pretty cool, I just do not want to be dead weight and drag anyone down.

Sith: Alraune
The Republic GAF guild is still going strong I believe on Jedi Covenant. Someone in the guild can probably answer this better than I can. I think some of them are taking a break to play Final Fantasy XIV for the time being though.

Heysoos

Sith: Alraune

It's still pretty strong, though it's much stronger in the afternoons. There's not much of a late night/morning crowd. Last I saw they were pulling a good 15+ most afternoons. Even though it's GAF, there's not many actual neogaffers left in there. However, in the early days when SWTOR had a huge subscriber drop, we had to adapt to keep the guild going so we ate up some smaller guilds, eventually forming a good core group that has kept the guild going. You'd be more than welcome in there.

Hex

Banned
It's still pretty strong, though it's much stronger in the afternoons. There's not much of a late night/morning crowd. Last I saw they were pulling a good 15+ most afternoons. Even though it's GAF, there's not many actual neogaffers left in there. However, in the early days when SWTOR had a huge subscriber drop, we had to adapt to keep the guild going so we ate up some smaller guilds, eventually forming a good core group that has kept the guild going. You'd be more than welcome in there.

Appreciate it, will keep an eye out for someone online when I am online to get an invite.

Looks like space stuff is going to be fighter craft based and not involving our current personal star ships. Probably means special open space quest zones where we control star fighters and maybe some pvp?

I see their armor designs continue to be fucking atrocious. Good lord. That was my biggest disappointment when getting to endgame.

Lot of the armor is actually pretty decent looking, it's just often ruined by the helmets/headpieces. That's also a stand out piece that was posted up, there has been some real nice gear sets added to the game, but everyone is laughing at that head piece on this one.

Which to me outside of Sith Lords and Bounty Hunters, makes little sense to have. Jedi and smugglers don't wear helmets. Endgame gear looks don't really matter anymore either since everyone just creates their own look using orange, legacy, and adaptive gear, along with the dyes.

Day/Night cycles and weather in FFXIV makes me wish TOR had that kind of stuff.

Oh my god. I want it now.

Looks just like JtL but perhaps a little faster?

They show a 3rd person view, gives me vibes of Rogue Squadron games. I can see it being off the rail instanced space missions and such. I just doubt they are going to make it open ended JTL like game, especially if it's having players use fighter craft instead of their personal ships.

UltraMav

Also reminded me of Rogue Squadron (with worse graphics :p). I'm wondering if these are PvP arenas or PvE scenarios. Hopefully both are available.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Looks like space stuff is going to be fighter craft based and not involving our current personal star ships. Probably means special open space quest zones where we control star fighters and maybe some pvp?

There are definitely both PVP and PVE elements to it. Based on data mined stuff PVP looks like it'll involve light, medium and heavy fighters.

http://pastebin.com/Bddt3r2G

I'm not expecting full open space like SWG had, it'll probably be in zones. However the SSSP is apparently being done by a completely separate team and as far as I can tell they've been working on it for about 2 years now so I expect a fair bit of content. Will probably be paid content as well but I paid for JTL too so it's not a big deal.

Hex

Banned
Damn, half of the people I tried from the list of Gaf Empire do not exist, I will wait and see if anyone turns up but if anyone knows of anyone active in the guild that can recruit that I can keep an eye out for let me know.

StudioTan

Damn, half of the people I tried from the list of Gaf Empire do not exist, I will wait and see if anyone turns up but if anyone knows of anyone active in the guild that can recruit that I can keep an eye out for let me know.

If you know the name of the guild, I don't unfortunately, you can do a Who search for the guild name and change the last column from Comment to Guild to see who is online from the guild.

There are definitely both PVP and PVE elements to it. Based on data mined stuff PVP looks like it'll involve light, medium and heavy fighters.

http://pastebin.com/Bddt3r2G

I'm not expecting full open space like SWG had, it'll probably be in zones. However the SSSP is apparently being done by a completely separate team and as far as I can tell they've been working on it for about 2 years now so I expect a fair bit of content. Will probably be paid content as well but I paid for JTL too so it's not a big deal.

I can see them doing it just like the rest of the game. Theme parked space zones with quests. I do hope they have an option for cockpit view if it's going to be fighter based.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Just type /who GAF and message someone to put you in touch with an officer. Most of the people in the OP don't play anymore, aren't active, or are on alts.

Also, I don't think there is an active imperial GAF guild, so you're out of luck if you're trying on IMPs. The pub guild is pretty active though.

Jbird34

There aren't really may Empire GAF players around anymore, you can go to torgaf.com and sign up post in the imp forum and see if there are still people who log in.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Interesting that the ships used in the space teaser aren't any of the actual class ships we currently have.

Giolon

Interesting that the ships used in the space teaser aren't any of the actual class ships we currently have.

They are the fighter-class ships that are current in the timeline. They're generally the ships you're shooting down hordes of in the missions, lol.

The player ships are generally corvette and light-freighter class and shouldn't be as maneuverable as Bioware made them, but gameplay be gameplay.

Top Bottom