• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

HBroward

Surely you have almost gotten full up in at least Darklight by now. You were 50 at least a week before me, and I've been 50 for nearly a week now. EDIT: Also haven't even started on endgame. Leveling those subclasses OMG! First MMO I liked to level in.

I am curious about this (potential) space expansion, but it'll have to be everything we wanted it to be in 2011 to pull me back in.

Full Darklight both sides except feet and legs, and I have the Cleric's Hands from the AF2 set. Currently using the Ifrit weapon, and waiting on tomorrow for a couple more to catch up so we can do the Garuda and Titan HM fights to get the relic weapons. I've been putting in some time haha. Swiftcast is my new favorite ability, so useful in so many situations, and only a 60 second cooldown! I have been leveling Botany and Alchemy in the meantime, and farming Quicktongue III's to sell by spiritbinding HQ crafted jewelry a buddy is spitting out. Quicktongues are running 80k+ on our server!

Next content update is next month sometime in Oct

Thanks!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I really like some of the new armour coming in the next cartel pack. Some of it is quite different from anything that is currently available. This was taken from the latest PTS build:

http://imgur.com/a/OJ9zY#0

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I really like this set, maybe I'll use it for my PVE gear.

1OtarMw.png

So there is a new live action commercial for the game advertising the free to play. Assume this is going to get TV play. It's on the official facebook page.

It's apparently an old live action spot that was on the internet before but this is now pimping F2P so assume it's going to be for a new ad campaign.

sgt jumpy

Banned
I'm only a lvl 15 Juggernaut, and I like the game, but haven't played in a month or two. It just doesn't grasp my attention long at all. I had such high hopes going into the game, bought two months of subscription. It feels like an average RPG and partying up/social gameplay doesn't seem to be prominent.

The ad was used back when the game released in Europe, but they are now releasing it in the west for f2p promotion, so lot of folks never saw it

Heysoos

OT rant, but jesus fuck Gaming Side is an unbearable fuckfest/circlejerk. Call out the BS and you'll get called a fanboy, so don't bother replying to those kinds of threads Cystm. There's zero discussion going on in those thread, just a bunch of drive by trolls, and the mods seem to be happy to let it go. Though I guess SWTOR threads on the gaming side should have taught me this lesson months ago. Think I'll be sticking to community threads now, christ.

OT rant, but jesus fuck Gaming Side is an unbearable fuckfest/circlejerk. Call out the BS and you'll get called a fanboy, so don't bother replying to those kinds of threads Cystm. There's zero discussion going on in those thread, just a bunch of drive by trolls, and the mods seem to be happy to let it go. Though I guess SWTOR threads on the gaming side should have taught me this lesson months ago. Think I'll be sticking to community threads now, christ.
There's another SWTOR thread on gaming side? Yeah it's best to just not touch that one.

StudioTan

The gaming side has been bad since the console reveals. I try to avoid the dick waving threads and just stick to individual game threads, although those often don't fare much better.

So this is pretty upsetting, I purchased the expansion as a subscriber about 2 weeks ago, well within the window to get the cartel coin refund; however it seems that because my subscription expired 4 days ago I won't be getting them. I of course have no recourse to pursue this because as a preferred member I don't rate forum posting privileges, nor the ability to open a ticket in game. I'd been considering renewing my subscription, but after this I'm thinking no thanks. If I'd subbed 4 days later I'd be getting my refund, but nope, loophole!

Heysoos

So this is pretty upsetting, I purchased the expansion as a subscriber about 2 weeks ago, well within the window to get the cartel coin refund; however it seems that because my subscription expired 4 days ago I won't be getting them. I of course have no recourse to pursue this because as a preferred member I don't rate forum posting privileges, nor the ability to open a ticket in game. I'd been considering renewing my subscription, but after this I'm thinking no thanks. If I'd subbed 4 days later I'd be getting my refund, but nope, loophole!

Why don't you try going through tech support and explaining your situation?

Why don't you try going through tech support and explaining your situation?

You mean over the phone? Based on the horror stories I've heard, I fear the minutes I'd use up on my prepaid phone would cost more than the coins are worth, if they even helped me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The offer to get cartel coin refund for the expansion required you to have an active sub on and after the 12th, so if your sub lapsed four days ago..... your out of luck I think

Heysoos

You mean over the phone? Based on the horror stories I've heard, I fear the minutes I'd use up on my prepaid phone would cost more than the coins are worth, if they even helped me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've had nothing but good experience with SWTOR tech support over the phone. Was so much better than Square Enix that's for sure. 3+ hours of wait on SE phone support, and that's if you callled right when the support lines opened. Though to be fair that was on the opening 2 weeks of FFXIV:ARR but still horrible.

The offer to get cartel coin refund for the expansion required you to have an active sub on and after the 12th, so if your sub lapsed four days ago..... your out of luck I think

I guess that's my point, if I had started my subscription 4 days later I'd be getting my refund... nothing to be done about it I guess, it just really leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and substantially diminishes my interest in continuing to play. Oh well.

Necrovex

I've wanted to play XIV, but this constant nagging in my head is telling me that I must finish my Imperial Agent before I can start on a new MMO.

I'm so close to, as I am on Hoth. It's a pity that I am always a under-level as I rush through the game. :-(

UltraMav

Oblivion, I'd give support a shot at least, longest I've waited was about half an hour and the people have always been very nice and helpful. Call during non-peak times and you should be fine.

StudioTan

Damn, just had the closest match of Ancient Hypergates I've ever been in. We won 604-590. I was guarding the node during the last round and watched as we won when one of our team brought an orb with literally 1 second left to put us over 600. I didn't think he'd make it in time. The teams were within 20 points the entire match.

Oblivion, I'd give support a shot at least, longest I've waited was about half an hour and the people have always been very nice and helpful. Call during non-peak times and you should be fine.

Appreciate the advice everyone, either way I'll let the conversation return to the game itself.

Speaking of which, time to complain some more!

I recently completed the Jedi Knight story, and man what a let down. A really cool premise with stakes as high as they get, gives way to dozens of hours of ultimately tedious build up, only to culminate in a 20 minute anticlimax of a 'finale,' pretty much literally
land on Dromund Kaas, run through a mostly empty instance of the planet's map, hit the emperor like 5 times with your lighsaber, and this immortal being on the cusp of consuming all life in the galaxy is just dead because you had the gall to actually attack him. Weak. Ass. Sauce.

While avoiding content specific spoilers, I wonder if anyone could comment on whether any of the other class stories conclude in a more satisfactory manner?

Appreciate the advice everyone, either way I'll let the conversation return to the game itself.

I recently completed the Jedi Knight story, and man what a let down. A really cool premise with stakes as high as they get, gives way to dozens of hours of ultimately tedious build up, only to culminate in a 20 minute anticlimax of a 'finale,' pretty much literally
land on Dromund Kaas, run through a mostly empty instance of the planet's map, hit the emperor like 5 times with your lighsaber, and this immortal being on the cusp of consuming all life in the galaxy is just dead because you had the gall to actually attack him. Weak. Ass. Sauce.

While avoiding content specific spoilers, I wonder if anyone could comment on whether any of the other class stories conclude in a more satisfactory manner?

Trooper has an awful ending that makes you want to punch your screen.

Sith Warrior was decent, and so was the Agent ending.

But yea Jedi Knight becomes a cool story that just ends with a huge whimper.

UltraMav

I'm still confused about the JK finale.
Is it ever explained why the emperor changes appearances from Act 2 Brain-Guy into Act 3 Ugly White-Dude? I've read some people say that the emperor you kill is just "The Emperor's Voice." Is that hinted at and I just missed it?

I'm still confused about the JK finale.
Is it ever explained why the emperor changes appearances from Act 2 Brain-Guy into Act 3 Ugly White-Dude? I've read some people say that the emperor you kill is just "The Emperor's Voice." Is that hinted at and I just missed it?

Well first time you face him hes covered up and that's not what he looks like, the whole black mask with brain visible is similar to the brain visible on the sorc outfits. The white dude face being his unmasked look? It's also hinted at that he takes over other bodies, in the novel Revan hes described as a pureblood Sith as that was his origin, but part of his immortal powers requires him to take on a new body. Sith Warrior story line has you getting a mail where they say the Emperors physical body was destroyed, but hes still alive in the force (another one of his Voice's), hence hinting that the Emperor will return at some point in the game in a new body perhaps. You do not ever see the Emperors true body in the game, it's kept hidden to prolong his life and hes retreated back to that body to recuperate after what happens to him via the Jedi Knight storyline. The Jedi Consular/Sage storyline also has ties to the whole Emperor and some of the events involving the JK

Heysoos

It used to be a lot less barren, and the Emperor tend to halt many JKs from finishing story in the beginning before they nerfed him big time. But yeah, the fight itself is pretty weak for something that's supposed to be epic.

carterr

Neo Member
It used to be a lot less barren, and the Emperor tend to halt many JKs from finishing story in the beginning before they nerfed him big time. But yeah, the fight itself is pretty weak for something that's supposed to be epic.

Before the nerf it was the hardest final class quest boss imo. Most people needed additional help, especially if T7 wasn't geared.

Draxal

Before the nerf it was the hardest final class quest boss imo. Most people needed additional help, especially if T7 wasn't geared.

Yeah, packs having 4 gold mobs? Definitely the hardest final mission by far, helped a friend clear it pre nerf and cleared it myself post nerf. Post nerf removed like 1000 mobs from the final quest area.

Yeah, packs having 4 gold mobs? Definitely the hardest final mission by far, helped a friend clear it pre nerf and cleared it myself post nerf. Post nerf removed like 1000 mobs from the final quest area.

That really makes me sad, probably my biggest problem with this game is that it's too easy most of the time (part of that was me being over-leveled in fairness, if your subbed, in a guild, and sitting on rest xp, and bother to do heroic quests and space missions and flashpoints while leveling, you definitely outpace the apparently intended leveling curve pretty quick). Some of my favorite quests to do while leveling were heroic 2s solo, they put actual pressure on me to manage my cooldowns well and bring the right companion while still being doable.

Regardless, the sense of build up giving way to such a trivially easy and brief conclusion was a big let down, especially when you consider that Scourge
stabbed the Exile and Revan in the back and waited 300 years for your moment of glory to unfold. Also, my decision to be 100% light side got real dumb in that final moment, saying oh it would be too mean to actually finish off the emperor on purpose after murdering about 50,000 of his mooks over the course of the story to get to him was pretty absurd. If there's one time I think it would sit well with the light side of the force to cut somebody's head the fuck off, that was it. Shades of Shepard the sociopath from Mass Effect 2 in there.

carterr

Neo Member
That really makes me sad, probably my biggest problem with this game is that it's too easy most of the time (part of that was me being over-leveled in fairness, if your subbed, in a guild, and sitting on rest xp, and bother to do heroic quests and space missions and flashpoints while leveling, you definitely outpace the apparently intended leveling curve pretty quick). Some of my favorite quests to do while leveling were heroic 2s solo, they put actual pressure on me to manage my cooldowns well and bring the right companion while still being doable.

If you think the game is too easy then you should definitely try PVP or advanced PVE. The main GAF raid group is currently progressing through the Nightmare versions of TFB and SV and they are pains in the ass. So unless you just wanted to stick to the story and class missions, there is definitely a challenge out there in the game.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

The game was pretty difficult for an MMO at the start, with many people wiping to class mission bosses. They've since nerfed a lot of the difficult leveling bosses and just overall buffed everyone through the increased XP gain items and the plethora of oranges. Yeah it kinda sucks for some people but that's the standard for MMOs: difficult at first, much easier later as content gets nerfed, new powerful items/bonuses are introduced, and people begin their second and third characters (more experience, more credits, more efficient than the first time around).

The majority of MMOs are pretty straightforward leveling up as they don't want to frustrate the player, like someone else said, the challenge comes from the endgame higher difficulties and higher end PvP.

If you think the game is too easy then you should definitely try PVP or advanced PVE. The main GAF raid group is currently progressing through the Nightmare versions of TFB and SV and they are pains in the ass. So unless you just wanted to stick to the story and class missions, there is definitely a challenge out there in the game.

This makes total sense, and chances are I'll be trying to get into that stuff eventually. The dozens of hours I've spent trying to level characters to that point has somewhat colored the experience nonetheless.

And of course the irony is that I'm super intimidated by that end game content, worried I'd be a big drag on a group. I should probably try to hook up with the GAF group at some point, I'm sure they'll be more forgiving than randoms.

Oh and the pvp I've jumped into a handful of random matches, and just cannot get my head around it at all. Again, I probably need to find a group willing to engage in some mentorship to get a handle on that stuff, though it's in general less appealing to me than the end game pve stuff.

There was always issues with some of the content difficulty in the story since it was made for 2 different advanced classes to go again, both having multiple builds. Some classes would find various encounters trivial while others would be having a hell of a time because of stuff like lacking CC abilities or other helpful skills. On the powertech it really felt at times that I was at a disadvantage in some fights because of lack of CC when it would have story segments forcing you to go up against multiple elites and such.

Think there was alot of complains for the JK that it was too hard to beat the end with the Jedi Sentinel while Guardian had a much easier time.

There was always issues with some of the content difficulty in the story since it was made for 2 different advanced classes to go again, both having multiple builds. Some classes would find various encounters trivial while others would be having a hell of a time because of stuff like lacking CC abilities or other helpful skills. On the powertech it really felt at times that I was at a disadvantage in some fights because of lack of CC when it would have story segments forcing you to go up against multiple elites and such.

Think there was alot of complains for the JK that it was too hard to beat the end with the Jedi Sentinel while Guardian had a much easier time.

Yeah there was a consular class quest on I think Belsavis way back when I just couldn't do as a Balance DPS Shadow even with the healer companion. I respeced to Shadow Tank and wasn't even troubled.

carterr

Neo Member
This makes total sense, and chances are I'll be trying to get into that stuff eventually. The dozens of hours I've spent trying to level characters to that point has somewhat colored the experience nonetheless.

And of course the irony is that I'm super intimidated by that end game content, worried I'd be a big drag on a group. I should probably try to hook up with the GAF group at some point, I'm sure they'll be more forgiving than randoms.

Oh and the pvp I've jumped into a handful of random matches, and just cannot get my head around it at all. Again, I probably need to find a group willing to engage in some mentorship to get a handle on that stuff, though it's in general less appealing to me than the end game pve stuff.

Yeah the current GAF does our best to provide ins for new players. We have sign up operations on Saturday nights where we teach the mechanics of the fights to new players. We are as helpful as we can be answering questions in guild chat and such and are more than happy to walk new people through the initial hardships.

Cystm

Guild vs Developer Arena Stream via MMORPG is now live.

They are trying to show case meeting the requests of competitive PvPers.

Edit: Going to live blog'ish... thing this.

The guild chosen is a PTS guild comprised of multiple guilds from P5.

• 6:15pst - It's funny watching this guy from the PTS guild talking about ability strength per comp and watching the Devs smirk and nod along.
  • 6:30 - First match is starting now.
  • 6:40 - This Arena is massive! Ok, first match: Sniper, Jugg, Sorc DPS, Ops Heals vs Marauder, PT tank, Sniper, Ops Healer.
  • 6:50 - Jugg was laggy and was not taunting or peeling, but the way it was basically played out: start on squishy, swap to heals and peck until one target was dead.
  • 6:57- Marauder, PT tank, Sniper, Ops Healer team won, mostly due to lag.
  • Holy shit 3 million viewers Doh.
  • 7:00 Second match, same team.
  • 7:04 LoS in Orbital Station is pretty crazy. 2 levels, you can knock off targets. Many pillars to hump.
  • 7:05 Marauder, PT tank, Sniper, Ops Healer team won second game. PTS guild team almost got a kill on the Marauder but he was able to LoS in time to get healed up. They turned it around with a nice Orbital into a knock back off the second level to leave a single dps los from the healer.
  • 7:07 Match three is on Tatooine Canyon. Mirror comp. This arena is also very large, with a lot of open space.
  • 7:10 Both comps stayed mostly in the open. Other team had a DC. :/
  • 7:15 Wow, second match the WRF guild used a wall to separate the sniper from the healer with a clutch Cover Pulse. Pretty fun match.

They are doing another match, but that's all I have time for.

Arenas look like they have a lot of potential. It's kinda nice to see the amount of work they put into this. It's also pretty ballsy of them to live stream PTS gameplay.

kmz

Neo Member
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that 3 million figure is all-time views for that channel or something. Looks like 670 live viewers.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that 3 million figure is all-time views for that channel or something. Looks like 670 live viewers.

That is correct.

StudioTan

This was the second live stream they did. I watched the first one last week. The arenas look like a lot of fun, I haven't had a chance to test them out on the PTS. I already have my team ready to go when it goes live.

So the wife started playing again, and now I've jumped into playing. Both my wife and I are subscribers. We're still in the GAF empire guild but apparently no one else is. Is there a new GAF guild we could join?

Got some questions. Is anybody on Jedi Covenant? Getting back into this is a bit disorienting. I'm basically a wow player that's dabbled in other mmos.

I'm a sith Juggarnaut, any tips for tanking in this as opposed to something like WoW?

Also, how hard is it to make money in this game? The economy seems really odd. I have no idea what anything is actually worth, or if crafting is even worth it.

Is anything worth it on the cartel market?

Any tips for folks just getting back into it?

*edit* Also, I got some crystals from pre-order, and also from the Razer MMO mouse that was sold when this game out. Is there any place to buy more of those crystals? They're green with a black core.

Thanks!

Top Bottom