• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Tacitus_

The expansion? I believe you get to keep it if you unsub, I don't think they can take it away once you earn it. Expansion used to be $20 for non subscribers, and $10 for those who are subbed to the game.

It sounds like another expansion might be out by the holidays or end of the year (The space project), so they must be trying to push everyone forward.

Well well. I might sub for a month then instead of buying the expansion if it lets me avoid the restriction nonsense and gets me a discount. I wouldn't have been in total scrub-land since I did sub for a few months in the beginning, but no handicaps is always better than some handicaps.

Well well. I might sub for a month then instead of buying the expansion if it lets me avoid the restriction nonsense and gets me a discount. I wouldn't have been in total scrub-land since I did sub for a few months in the beginning, but no handicaps is always better than some handicaps.

Also any purple gear and aliens you use while you are subbed when creating characters you get to keep when the sub lapses. They won't take away what you unlock, only put back any restrictions on currencies and such.

Any of the new content worth it to reinstall / possibly purchase? I haven't played since pretty much the very beginning and I'm getting an itch to continue the story.

I just recently started back as well, and the game seems to run better. There's actually a dungeon finder and things that make the game "modern".

The cartel packs are the scratch off lottery tickets of free to play. Some of the shit you can get is cool, but it seems like you're better off buying shit from the GTN and unlocking it with the cartel coins you get from subscribing. Basically the way it works is if you get something from the cartel market, you have the option to unlock it for all your characters for more cartel coins. They don't make this obvious (at least to me) until you go digging around in the collections, which is a button you hit on the cartel market front page. From there you can browse anything you've gotten from the cartel market (even if it's an item you purchased off of the GTN, but originated from the Cartel Market) and unlock it for all your characters for a fee. This is very helpful because I got a +41 endurance Crystal from a cartel pack and I can use it on a level 10 character. lol

Also, when you click on legacy, there's an option to purchase XP boosts, which act like the boosts you get from Heirlooms in wow. The only difference is you have to choose what form you want the XP boost to come in. For instance, there's 5 levels of XP boost unlocks for flash points. There's five levels of xp boost unlocks for Space combat, class quests, exploring, and warzones. Each unlock is a 6% boost, and I BELIEVE those boosts stack with guild bonus xp. The highest guild bonus xp is 10%, and you can get it by being in an active guild. Sort of similar to how WoW works.

The new F2P mechanics aren't really noticable if you subscribe. I'm a subscriber currently so I'm not sure how playable the game is if you don't subscribe. With that said, Amazon has 60 day game time cards for like 22 bucks.

I'd like to get a cartel crystal with +41 power but I don't want to play the cartel lottery to get it, and I only have about 50k on my characters so far. Cheapest I've seen them go for is about 350-400k, but again, I'm only recently back. I'm not sure how plentiful money is in this game. I hope it comes naturally cause there's a lot of shit I'd like to get off the GTN. lol

Tacitus_

Also any purple gear and aliens you use while you are subbed when creating characters you get to keep when the sub lapses. They won't take away what you unlock, only put back any restrictions on currencies and such.

I did farm the first tier for a bit and had a some purple gear amassed, but I suspect the level increase in the expansion negates that?

I did farm the first tier for a bit and had a some purple gear amassed, but I suspect the level increase in the expansion negates that?

It will be helpful still, once you go through the new planet contant and level up to 55 you will get access to obviously better gear. They did ok with scaling the gear, it's not like WoW when TBC came out and people were dumping purples they had earned for greens right away. Not sure what level of purple gear you had since there was three tiers originally and they have progressed several times now. For those of use that had decent gear with the expansion came out, we really didn't need to swap out our gear till we high 54 or 55 and started attempting the new endgame grinds.

They also reduced amount of currencies in game and converted your old currencies into the new ones in various types of ratios. Classic coms are what all the old coms were turned into, which you can buy the old top end lvl 50 end game gear and it really helps doing the expansion content that does ramp up in difficulty since it takes into account that a lot of players had good gear by then.

The new F2P mechanics aren't really noticable if you subscribe. I'm a subscriber currently so I'm not sure how playable the game is if you don't subscribe. With that said, Amazon has 60 day game time cards for like 22 bucks.l

The biggest issue with f2p to me is how they completely nerf your xp gains. You get less xp than normal, and you can't save up rested xp. When they put in f2p they increased xp gain for subscribers with a passive 10%. Being in a guild now can earn you an extra 10%, and each end of a planetary quest, class story quest, and bonus series earn players xp boost consumables now too. So subs get a lot of extra xp nowadays.

Tacitus_

It will be helpful still, once you go through the new planet contant and level up to 55 you will get access to obviously better gear. They did ok with scaling the gear, it's not like WoW when TBC came out and people were dumping purples they had earned for greens right away. Not sure what level of purple gear you had since there was three tiers originally and they have progressed several times now. For those of use that had decent gear with the expansion came out, we really didn't need to swap out our gear till we high 54 or 55 and started attempting the new endgame grinds.

They also reduced amount of currencies in game and converted your old currencies into the new ones in various types of ratios. Classic coms are what all the old coms were turned into, which you can buy the old top end lvl 50 end game gear and it really helps doing the expansion content that does ramp up in difficulty since it takes into account that a lot of players had good gear by then.

Just the first tier.. up to the Hutt in the blinged out battle bot. Nice thing about the currencies though. I remember having random amounts of currencies left from planets that I had completed and couldn't use in any reasonable fashion.

Just the first tier.. up to the Hutt in the blinged out battle bot. Nice thing about the currencies though. I remember having random amounts of currencies left from planets that I had completed and couldn't use in any reasonable fashion.

All planetary coms were rolled up into a single planetary com currency now instead of each planet having it's own. So you can save up planetary coms from planet to planet and spend them whenever you want, or use them to buy lower level gear off vendors to send them to your alts even. They have done lot of little quality of life improvements like this.

Tacitus_

All planetary coms were rolled up into a single planetary com currency now instead of each planet having it's own. So you can save up planetary coms from planet to planet and spend them whenever you want, or use them to buy lower level gear off vendors to send them to your alts even. They have done lot of little quality of life improvements like this.

How nice of them. I finally got the client downloading so I think I'll kill some time in the Witcher.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
How nice of them. I finally got the client downloading so I think I'll kill some time in the Witcher.

Not the best news when you just decided to get back into the game they had an issue with the patch tonight. Apparently the patch data was put up by mistake and if you had logged in you'd be forced to download the whole client again tomorrow. Looks like it might be fixed now but they said:

Hey everyone,

We understand your frustrations and I have an update for you. The previous patch data has now been restored. If you are just now logging in, you are fine to play normally.

Those of you affected by the patch this afternoon should exit the game and either repatch immediately or wait until after tomorrow morning’s update. Please note that if you repatch today, it will be a larger patch – around 12 gigs, rather than a more normal sized patch tomorrow.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

This was the original message:

Hello everyone,

As some of you have already noticed, we unintentionally released the patch data for Game Update 2.4 this afternoon at 2:46 pm CDT before its scheduled deployment.

If you have already begun patching or completed patching, we recommend that you do not run the Launcher until after tomorrow’s maintenance. If you do not run the Launcher until tomorrow, you will only have to patch Game Update 2.4.

If you do (or already have) run the Launcher again prior to tomorrow morning’s update, you will need to re-download the entire game client.

**Please do not attempt to log in or patch at this time.**

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Gold sellers appear to be completely out of line. Is this common? Is Bioware cracking down or do they not give a fuck?

You get them on rare occasions but I think Bioware makes it very hard for them. One thing that gold sellers rely on is using hacked accounts and SWTOR is extremely secure in that regard. You rarely hear about anyone getting their account hacked.

Yeah. The SWTOR gold sellers are tame compared to the ones in FFXIV. I mean goddamn.
Just didn't know if bioware went after them. They got pretty bad in WoW.

Anyway, quick question, if I get a 60 day game card will I still get the 500 cartel coins a month, or is that only for active subs that have a cc on the account?

StudioTan

Just didn't know if bioware went after them. They got pretty bad in WoW.

Anyway, quick question, if I get a 60 day game card will I still get the 500 cartel coins a month, or is that only for active subs that have a cc on the account?

You should since you'll be considered a sub.

EDIT - Confirmed

kmz

Neo Member
That was never scheduled for 2.4. It was teased as something "past 2.4", along with possibly a new Huttball map and more arena maps.

StudioTan

Man, the arenas are so much fun. Really really short when doing solo ranked but great comms as a result. I've gotten 750 ranked comms in about an hour and a half. Having only solo queue or teams of 4 was a great idea, doesn't give either team any kind of advantage.

Oricon is really cool, it kinda makes up for that pathetic Czerka moon update. Oricon also really ramps up difficulty with those quests, but cool rewards and yay actual story, again unlike that garbage boring czerka daily hub.

Arenas are fun so far, haven't ran into any douche nozzles yet but can imagine it happening eventually.

Sorian

Banned
Oricon is really cool, it kinda makes up for that pathetic Czerka moon update. Oricon also really ramps up difficulty with those quests, but cool rewards and yay actual story, again unlike that garbage boring czerka daily hub.

Arenas are fun so far, haven't ran into any douche nozzles yet but can imagine it happening eventually.

See, and I think Czerka was a great daily area, it just should have been released with some type of story arc as well. It was nice and concise (a tad easy but I thought Oricon was easy too, thats what happens when you are in top raid gear).

Enosh

only level 15 atm but really enjoying the trooper so far
helps that I'm basically playing my fem shep from ME ^^
the only thing I really dislike is the gear atm, I'm supposed to be a new member in an elite republic unit and I show up in jeans and a shirt instead of you know, actual body armor that every basic grunt gets -.-
but it's fine starting to get some more armored looking gear now

a question I have, I notice that it says subs get more xp, did they reduce the xp gains for f2p or are subs just getting more?
back when I was playing this last it wasn't that bad but if they reduced the xp gains by too much I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy it
might buy 2 months when I get to 50 to see the 55 stuff and maybe get some better gear

also have 220 coins (apparently the "get coins if you used to be a sub" was a limited deal which I missed...), 10 more inv slots vs unify colors? ^^

StudioTan

only level 15 atm but really enjoying the trooper so far
helps that I'm basically playing my fem shep from ME ^^
the only thing I really dislike is the gear atm, I'm supposed to be a new member in an elite republic unit and I show up in jeans and a shirt instead of you know, actual body armor that every basic grunt gets -.-
but it's fine starting to get some more armored looking gear now

a question I have, I notice that it says subs get more xp, did they reduce the xp gains for f2p or are subs just getting more?
back when I was playing this last it wasn't that bad but if they reduced the xp gains by too much I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy it
might buy 2 months when I get to 50 to see the 55 stuff and maybe get some better gear

also have 220 coins (apparently the "get coins if you used to be a sub" was a limited deal which I missed...), 10 more inv slots vs unify colors? ^^

They reduced XP for f2p, you pretty much have to do every quest. I think they reduced it 25% if I remember correctly.

Before you buy anything with coins I'd check to see how much the unlocks are going for on the GTN.

StudioTan

PvP trailer for anyone that did not see it it yet.

I must have done over 20 matches today. They're so short that you just want to hop right back in. Sometimes just one mistake at the beginning can determine the whole match.

Moff

I think both oricon and czerka are by far the most fun daily areas this game has seen yet.
I never did dailies before because they were so dull, but czerka was a compact area with good enemy placement. oricon is bigger but is pretty fun, too.

Enosh

They reduced XP for f2p, you pretty much have to do every quest. I think they reduced it 25% if I remember correctly.
hmm that kinda sucks but i guess it makes sense
oh well still have 3 of those 25% xp things, will use them latter on
but as long as you can get to 50 by doing only quest instead of grinding I'm okay with that

Before you buy anything with coins I'd check to see how much the unlocks are going for on the GTN.
didn't know that is on GTN, looked up they both go for some 60-70k on my server, which i am still quite a time away from getting, have 180k on my main but that's on a different server -.-

went and bought the unify colors anyway ^^ store space I think won't be that much of an issue yet, the med droids are spaced quite nicely so far plus I hate looking like a clown with mish mashed gear in cut scenes

didn't even try yet if companions can still be send to vendor greys with f2p

Moff

Am I seeing this right, you cant qeue as warzone OR arena, you can only qeue for rated or unrated, and you get either a warzone or an arena? not really happy with that.

I think both oricon and czerka are by far the most fun daily areas this game has seen yet.
I never did dailies before because they were so dull, but czerka was a compact area with good enemy placement. oricon is bigger but is pretty fun, too.

Czerka was boring to me, it was essentially nothing more than a square warehouse with both sides doing essentially the same quest, and no real story involvement, and instead of heroics they half assed it by forcing people to have to do the flashpoints for weekly credit. They really went all out on Oricon, great presentation, nice story presentation with differences for both factions, better challenge, and scale.

Am I seeing this right, you cant qeue as warzone OR arena, you can only qeue for rated or unrated, and you get either a warzone or an arena? not really happy with that.

You queue for unranked warzones, which is only way they can be played now, OR ranked arenas it seems. There is no unranked arena play. I rather like that as I don't want to get randomly put into a arena or warzone, if I want warzones that's what I want to play.

Tacitus_

Well, finally got in the game (managed to bypass the buggy character activation), discovered that they locked my titles, armor recolor and most of my credits away.
Quick trip to the AH solved the first two problems, but I still have my 1,566,912 credits locked away and I need cartel coins to get them :(

fenners

Well, finally got in the game (managed to bypass the buggy character activation), discovered that they locked my titles, armor recolor and most of my credits away.
Quick trip to the AH solved the first two problems, but I still have my 1,566,912 credits locked away and I need cartel coins to get them :(

Can't you just subscribe for a month?

Well to play through the storyline you don't need to worry about the credits, unless your going to be heavy into crafting and doing endgame activities. You make enough credits just doing the story and questing to cover any expenses till lvl cap.

edit:

Also did anyone else notice that they dropped and didn't include the Dracula head piece that everyone was up in arms over from the Oricon vendor? lol

Also Oricon npcs have a bunch of new unique armor designs/looks, would like to see some of these get added in for players.

Tacitus_

Can't you just subscribe for a month?

Yeah, I'll subscribe for a month when I get my students allowance later this week. This allows me to lift everything from escrow account?

Well to play through the storyline you don't need to worry about the credits, unless your going to be heavy into crafting and doing endgame activities. You make enough credits just doing the story and questing to cover any expenses till lvl cap.

Yeah, I'm sure the 250k I have left after purchasing those unlocks is quite enough. I'm just annoyed that there's 1,5 million taunting me from behind a paywall.

Yeah, I'll subscribe for a month when I get my students allowance later this week. This allows me to lift everything from escrow account?

When your sub lapses, any excess money is put into escrow. You only get to keep what you unlocked like gear, aliens you created characters with, etc, but all currencies are limited when your f2p.

Tacitus_

When your sub lapses, any excess money is put into escrow. You only get to keep what you unlocked like gear, aliens you created characters with, etc, but all currencies are limited when your f2p.

If I sub for a month, will I still need to spend coins to get my credits back? I could bank them away in commodities instead.

E: Oh fuck me. When I was fiddling around trying to activate my characters, it didn't do shit and when I let it time out trying to activate, it finally worked on two characters but it used up all my activations. Now I have two active characters (both at 50) and can't make more nor activate the rest.

Is artifice worth a shit? I read something about reverse engineering crystals but I don't know what that was about and can't find the information on it. I guess my google-fu is out of practice.

Sorian

Banned
You queue for unranked warzones, which is only way they can be played now, OR ranked arenas it seems. There is no unranked arena play. I rather like that as I don't want to get randomly put into a arena or warzone, if I want warzones that's what I want to play.

Incorrect, unranked can put you in 8v8 or 4v4. All the arenas are weighted as one possibility together meaning whenever you que for unranked, there is a 1/5 chance you will get 4v4 instead.

Also did anyone else notice that they dropped and didn't include the Dracula head piece that everyone was up in arms over from the Oricon vendor? lol

It drops froma rare mob now.

StudioTan

The Smuggler PVP vendors are missing some stuff. The Obroan Professional's gear requires Conqueror Professional's gear to buy but the other vendor doesn't sell those :/

carterr

Neo Member
Yeah, the prices seem incredibly spastic. I saw some masks 2 days ago for 3 million, now I see people who want 28 million for a mask. Figured if any gaffers had them we could make a deal.

You might try talking to Fisky in game, I know he deals in a lot of hyper crates and such so he might have one or know some one who does. These days he's officer in charge of cartel market related stuff.

Sorian

Banned
So, how is everyone liking the new raids? My team ran through SM of fortress (got stuck on the second boss for awhile, getting used to all those adds with the exact same name took some time) and the first boss in palace. Everything in these raids seem top notch so far from the amount of trash to the visual level of the areas to the boss mechanics (SM like I said but we used dulfy's guides which were made for HM so I had a pretty good idea of what we missed out on between the two difficulties). All in all, I am not disappointed in the least with this new PvE content. Our team will run again next week and clear through the palace fairly quickly I'm sure and then we get to hit the ground running in the HM of fortress (I expect to blow through the first boss easily and spend a week or two getting everything perfect on that second boss, he really seems like the hardest out of the 6 bosses I've fought so far in these raids).

Top Bottom