• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

vilmer_

Lots of catching up to do lol, some of these new mounts are friggin' awesome!! Apparently the old trusty Hyrotii Scrapper isn't so rare anymore (since apparently there was an event where you could get them from a dig site)... Still have my Korrealis Sovereign though :p

Its not an event, it's one of the random items they tossed into the dig sites that you have a chance to dig up. They few months ago updated the rewards from dig sites and tossed in some unique items as well like that mount.

Syf

Banned
I've got a lot of catching up to do myself. Really enjoying it now though. It seems they've added quite a bit of content and features to the game.

MrForgetful

Neo Member
Starting playing this again today, having played for a few months when the game came out.

Did the Esseles flashpoint earlier and got to the very end and the game kept crashing when starting the conversation to jump away. So checked the forums and all the solutions to the problem are from threads over a year ago telling you to alt tab when the convo starts.

Thankfully it fixed the issue and i was able to complete the flashpoint but it seems wierd that this issue hasnt been fixed.

vilmer_

Its not an event, it's one of the random items they tossed into the dig sites that you have a chance to dig up. They few months ago updated the rewards from dig sites and tossed in some unique items as well like that mount.

I want one of those Tauntaun mounts! lol

Heysoos

Starting playing this again today, having played for a few months when the game came out.

Did the Esseles flashpoint earlier and got to the very end and the game kept crashing when starting the conversation to jump away. So checked the forums and all the solutions to the problem are from threads over a year ago telling you to alt tab when the convo starts.

Thankfully it fixed the issue and i was able to complete the flashpoint but it seems wierd that this issue hasnt been fixed.

The game, while much much better than the first year, is still hindered by their engine.

KePoW

Banned

Wow they seriously have not fixed this issue yet?? I remember this from a long time ago.

Ocho

I was bored this weekend and decided to download this game. It's F2P, why not? I was subbed on day 2. I'm usually a sucker for lore and story in MMOs (a rare occurrence, it seems). This game is basically what I was looking for (I love Star Wars to boot). Really pleased so far, haven't really dabbled that much in micro transactions, not sure if I need to shell more money than what I think is acceptable. Flashpoints are great.

Got an extra 60-day time card. Anyone interested in it for say, $20?

I'll buy it if still available.

Sothpaw

I just queued up for an HM FP and it turns out that I was placed with 2 guildies. Now I am newish to the game. Hit 55 a few days ago and did Oricon and bought some gear with basic and classic coms. So I am thinking my gear is fine for HM FPs. Well my guildies look at my gear and they say there is no way I can heal the robot boss (Hammer Station). I think they are full of shit, convince them to let me try, and heal the entire instance (Operative) without a single death.

Should I find a better guild? I mean how on earth can you think that full Oricon quest gear isn't enough for a simple 55 HM FP?

You got skill? Dunno. But yea basic gear is enough to heal, it's just harder with just that kind of gear.

With lvl 55 HM FP's, they really put a ton of the burden on healers as the damage is so burst heavy.

But it also naturally gets easier for healers as everyone else gets geared up, folks take less damage and deal more damage overall. Lot of folks are well geared by now and it kinda makes up for others who are not as well geared.

Sothpaw

You got skill? Dunno. But yea basic gear is enough to heal, it's just harder with just that kind of gear.

With lvl 55 HM FP's, they really put a ton of the burden on healers as the damage is so burst heavy.

But it also naturally gets easier for healers as everyone else gets geared up, folks take less damage and deal more damage overall. Lot of folks are well geared by now and it kinda makes up for others who are not as well geared.

What do you mean "just that kind of gear"? Honest question; haven't been playing SWTOR long at all. I mean aren't the hardmodes simply a stepping stone to OPS? Did I miss a step that is between Oricon and HM gear? Surely the 55s are tuned for people in Oricon gear and my group was overreacted (flat out wrong) by saying I couldn't possibly heal Hammer Station.

And yes I have "skill" inasmuch as that term can be applied to an mmo heh.

Edit: Reread your post and actually it looks like we are in agreement. Looks like my guildies think you need raid gear to heal instances that have worse drops than raid gear. I think I might need to shop around for a guild with smarter leadership.

They just likely have had pug healers with similar gear and bad experiences. But yea Basic gear is more than enough to do the HM FPs, most of us had to go through those FP's months ago using the same gear and we did it just fine. At this point it's kinda dumb to complain about it since they added the new tiers of gear. Those FP's were hard when they came out, but now the general group composition higher gearing and knowing the tricks of the fights makes em easy. Most folks starting them originally never had Basic level gear and had to grind those FPs to just get the entry level stuff.

Alur

What do you mean "just that kind of gear"? Honest question; haven't been playing SWTOR long at all. I mean aren't the hardmodes simply a stepping stone to OPS? Did I miss a step that is between Oricon and HM gear? Surely the 55s are tuned for people in Oricon gear and my group was overreacted (flat out wrong) by saying I couldn't possibly heal Hammer Station.

And yes I have "skill" inasmuch as that term can be applied to an mmo heh.

Edit: Reread your post and actually it looks like we are in agreement. Looks like my guildies think you need raid gear to heal instances that have worse drops than raid gear. I think I might need to shop around for a guild with smarter leadership.

Typically that's what you encounter nowadays in MMOs. As I said on the last page about FFXIV, for instance, they want you to already have the gear for the dungeon you are about to run...which kind of defeats the point.

53 artifact gear should be plenty good to run most HM FPs if you know how to play your class. You can get 53 artifact implants and ears cheap off the GTN, and you'll have to find something for your relic/weapon slots, but all in all it should do fine. By the same token, in group finder expect the same kind of behavior. People just have no patience nowadays.

carterr

Neo Member
I just queued up for an HM FP and it turns out that I was placed with 2 guildies. Now I am newish to the game. Hit 55 a few days ago and did Oricon and bought some gear with basic and classic coms. So I am thinking my gear is fine for HM FPs. Well my guildies look at my gear and they say there is no way I can heal the robot boss (Hammer Station). I think they are full of shit, convince them to let me try, and heal the entire instance (Operative) without a single death.

Should I find a better guild? I mean how on earth can you think that full Oricon quest gear isn't enough for a simple 55 HM FP?

Were these people from the GAF guild?

Alur

No I'm on the West Coast rp server. Might just switch to the PVE server because everyone has non-rp names on the RP server anyway.

Yeah I think what RP there was probably died in the server merger, if I was guessing. Maybe it never existed in the first place, I don't know.

Took my sorc for his first spin in 55 PVP last night. Nice having legacy gear to equip! :)

Moff

they probably saw your worst slots (which could cheaply be bought from the auction house)and depending on their experience, they may have thought you were under equipped and/or not a great player, I dont think its that big a deal. they may have been over equipped themselves so your gear was good enough. I dont see that as reason to leave the guild if everything else is good and it was only these 2 players.

Alur

Is anyone on Jedi Covenant PVE still?

GAF is still alive and raiding regularly on pub side. I don't know of anyone still active on imp side outside of myself and two friends. There are more former GAF folks still going on pub side, along with former Keller's Void players as well that aren't in the GAF guild.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
GAF is still alive and raiding regularly on pub side. I don't know of anyone still active on imp side outside of myself and two friends. There are more former GAF folks still going on pub side, along with former Keller's Void players as well that aren't in the GAF guild.

There are a bunch of random Imp Guilds that are pretty active. Insurrection, Rancor Bait, Legendary After Dark to name a few. I don't think they have as many high end organized as we do on ops side, especially considering Ascension, GAF, Legendary, etc.

Anyways, JC PVE is very, very active. PVP is active as well, but most of the pvp-only players transferred to Pot5 a few months back (when I quit for a while). That means you can either faceroll or get completely dominated depending on your teammates and you will never know which.

KePoW

Banned

OK great thanks!

question, is this game still geared towards now ppl spending money? or is it like lord of the rings online or star trek online where you can play for free and get like 90% of the game?

question, is this game still geared towards now ppl spending money? or is it like lord of the rings online or star trek online where you can play for free and get like 90% of the game?

Outside of raids, free players have access to all the content mostly, just with restrictions on amounts of times you can do things or how much you earn.

vilmer_

The amount of player customization in this game now is incredible. Also, I was informed of the Cathar Honor Sword. I must have it (damn that's alot of credits lol)

Ocho

Probably asked a ton of times, but what items should I get from the Cartel store? I'm new to the game and a subscriber. I bought extra inventory space (account wide).

As a subscriber you don't really need to spend any cartel coins for anything. Only use them for any convenience things you want right away like the inventory space or legacy unlocks to skip having to spend in game credits for it.

Most of it is just cosmetic unlocks like Cathar race, unique gear looks, packs, etc.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The amount of player customization in this game now is incredible. Also, I was informed of the Cathar Honor Sword. I must have it (damn that's alot of credits lol)

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier but you can really make your characters unique now. I do buy cartel coins occasionally but I mostly get all my armor and stuff off the GTN.

Ocho

As a subscriber you don't really need to spend any cartel coins for anything. Only use them for any convenience things you want right away like the inventory space or legacy unlocks to skip having to spend in game credits for it.

Most of it is just cosmetic unlocks like Cathar race, unique gear looks, packs, etc.

Legacy unlocks?

Legacy unlocks?

In your legacy tab you have access to extra perks and such for your character or for special account wide unlocks for all your characters. These require you to reach certain level of legacy and to pay credits for. You can use cartel coins to skip that and purchase them right away. Such as the rocket boost ability which gives all characters on your account a short use speed boost that can be used even where mounts are not allowed. There are a bunch of different perks you can access, like email terminals in your space ships, vendor droids, and character specific perks like extra xp for certain activities.

You can unlock this all using credits and time in game, but you can use cc to simply get stuff right away.

Heysoos

By the way, I have 2 unused SWTOR keys that give you the full game(ie 1 paid month free) that I bought by mistake. If anyone is interested in trying the game for the first time let me know. All I ask for is that you sign up through friend referral. :)

Alur

There are a bunch of random Imp Guilds that are pretty active. Insurrection, Rancor Bait, Legendary After Dark to name a few. I don't think they have as many high end organized as we do on ops side, especially considering Ascension, GAF, Legendary, etc.

Anyways, JC PVE is very, very active. PVP is active as well, but most of the pvp-only players transferred to Pot5 a few months back (when I quit for a while). That means you can either faceroll or get completely dominated depending on your teammates and you will never know which.

Yeah like Calvin says, there are plenty of active Empire guilds as well, just not with GAF folks or KV folks to my knowledge. Both sides seem to be pretty healthy, though the snark quotient is definitely strong on the imp side (as you would expect).

By the way, thumbs up to this thread. Look how many folks have came back in the past few weeks and started playing again, or started for the first time. Good stuff. I was talking with Heysoos about this the other day. It's nice to see people still enjoying the game - it's definitely came a long way and I still feel it's the best all around product on the MMO market (non-WoW, of course).

vilmer_

Seeing TONS of pt's again in warzones, someone mentioned they got a buff again... I still feel absolutely helpless in Focus Guardian spec, another defensive cd would be awesome :/ Having a blast again though :)

KePoW

Banned
How did the X-Pac turn out in regards to story and voice acting?

That's my favorite aspect of TOR by far (well Huttball too!).

Moff

there are no new class story quests.
only two planetary questlines, one for imperial and one for republic side.
voice acting is as good as in the rest of the game, all classes have their voice actors back for their few lines. but again, no class storries, they are addressed with two or three lines during the briefing and debriefing of the plantery questlines, thats it.

KePoW

Banned
voice acting is as good as in the rest of the game, all classes have their voice actors back for their few lines. but again, no class storries, they are addressed with two or three lines during the briefing and debriefing of the plantery questlines, thats it.

Ah ok thanks for the info!

The republic and imperials have different stories, its a few hours long on each side and actually pretty good, both stories also being quite different. It's a planetary series of quests and story, but they did a much more elaborate job on it than any of the other planets in the game.

X-pac content is also included for free in the game with a subscription now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I'd say it's more than a few lines, there's a lot of conversations in there. Took me a few hours to get through the story.

Top Bottom