• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Syf

Banned
Finally dinged 55 on my BH. And, unlike the last time I hit level cap.. there's still things to do! lol. Time to gear up and try out some starfighter stuff.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
holy shit guys

i got a huttball match

I've been getting Ancient Hypergates like 7 times out of 10, and it's by far my least favorite. I love huttball and rarely get it :/

Alur

holy shit guys

i got a huttball match

no joke this is my first huttball match this week

We got 3 in a row after you logged tonight. Then an Ancient Hypergates, then two more in a row. It was wild. Almost like old times if you substitute AHG with Civil War.

By the way, why has no one told me about this Worm Food title? I'm a title whore, and it's so easy...what other ridiculously easy ones might I have missed in all my PVPing?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
We got 3 in a row after you logged tonight. Then an Ancient Hypergates, then two more in a row. It was wild. Almost like old times if you substitute AHG with Civil War.

By the way, why has no one told me about this Worm Food title? I'm a title whore, and it's so easy...what other ridiculously easy ones might I have missed in all my PVPing?

Did you get Unlucky?

StudioTan

No sir, will have to check that one out.

As part of the seeker droid questline you'll go to an area with a huge boss called Lucky, I'm pretty sure he's on Corellia. If he kills you you get the title Unlucky, if you kill him you get the title Lucky.

Ocho

Now that I finally chose my crew skills (artifice, archaeology, treasure hunting), should I be spamming them like crazy (ie. send someone when available)? Does it matter what companion I send to missions and/or craft stuff with?

If I remove the crew skill (to try another one), I'll lose my progress in that skill?

Heysoos

Now that I finally chose my crew skills (artifice, archaeology, treasure hunting), should I be spamming them like crazy (ie. send someone when available)? Does it matter what companion I send to missions and/or craft stuff with?

If I remove the crew skill (to try another one), I'll lose my progress in that skill?

Let me ask you something before you get far, is this your first character? If so, I recommend Biochem above all else.

As far as sending them to missions, I would, that said try not to go too crazy. You'll find a good amount of archaeology gathering nodes around the worlds you're leveling in, so don't sink all your cash in the beginning.

As for the last question, AFAIK, yes.

kmz

Neo Member
You'll lose your levels and all your recipes (if it's a crafting skill) when you drop it.

If you didn't, the three skill limit would be essentially meaningless.

Hmm bombers look like they can be very annoying, as well as help with the annoying part where ships park under defense satellites to hide and claim them. Bombers can now mine them, but is there a way to remove the mines?

Ocho

Ok, thanks. Also, why Biochem (this is my first character)? What would you recommend me losing? Treasure hunting? Archaeology seems an extension of Artifice.

Biochem is popular because you get immediate gains. You can create buffs for your character, the best health packs, and the reusables you can make also are helpful in general for questing. You can then use your biochem to supply any alts with their appropriate buff stims and such also... it really is useful for all professions.

Most other crafting professions and such are more class specific in who they benefit. Certain ones being a bit more useful than others for helping build components that other classes can use. But biochem is the most straight forward useful crew skill for anyone to have built up.

StudioTan

Hmm bombers look like they can be very annoying, as well as help with the annoying part where ships park under defense satellites to hide and claim them. Bombers can now mine them, but is there a way to remove the mines?

Bombers were in beta and they were pretty overpowered which is why they removed before launch based on tester feedback. They are slow and so easy to kill but mines are quite powerful, they can also drop healing probes. You can shoot mines like you do turrets but they're small so harder to spot.

StudioTan

2.6 is up on PTS - Patch Notes

Includes a new map for GS, Team Deathmatch, and the bombers.

Also a new Flashpoint:

New Flashpoint: Kuat Drive Yards-The Republic and the Empire are calling on their greatest warriors to join the fight for control of the Kuat Drive Yards, a highly-contested orbital shipyard with one of the most prolific manufacturing facilities in the Galaxy. Each time you play through Kuat Drive Yards, you have a chance to see a different series of randomized combat scenarios.

The bolded sounds interesting.

Also includes a bunch of class changes.

Syf

Banned
I really like the sound of tactical flashpoints. Not sure how I feel about the kolto shell changes. 6 charges seems pretty low, though the reduced heat cost might make it okay. Rapid shots being able to heal self will be great.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Also a new Flashpoint:

got damn dem operative buffs. Might finally be time to stop clowning around with class stories and get my operative to 55.

StudioTan

I don't know if anyone remembers a thread on the official forums a long while back where someone was asking for armor showing more skin. He did a bunch of mockups where he took armor and removed parts of it to make it sexier. It seems the devs took his idea to heart, it started with the Relaxed Jumpsuit and included items like the Unfettered Trenchcoat (which I'm rocking on 2 of my characters) and it looks like the next pack has more:

swtor-dramatic-extroverts-armor-set-wingman-dogfighters-starfighter-pack_thumb.jpg

swtor-dramatic-extroverts-armor-set-wingman-dogfighters-starfighter-pack-male_thumb.jpg

swtor-show-offs-casual-armor-set-wingman-dogfighters-starfighter-pack_thumb.jpg

Personally I love that the added stuff like this even if it's not to everyone's taste. More at the link.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So how do set bonuses work now? I remember back when I played stuff like Rakata would override the set bonus of whatever you were trying to put in. Everything else, the bonus was attached to the armoring. So simply put I guess, If I put current pvp armorings in my rakata gear, will it still maintain the rakata set bonus?

2.6 seems kinda weak update, some more SF ships and a deathmatch mode, and a flashpoint.

Also a new Flashpoint:

Don't see anything about a new map for GS, just new mode

StudioTan

Holy shit! The new flashpoint has a Bothan NPC. I want a playable race!

Don't see anything about a new map for GS, just new mode

That's a good point, I'll see if it pops up on PTS.

Heysoos

So how do set bonuses work now? I remember back when I played stuff like Rakata would override the set bonus of whatever you were trying to put in. Everything else, the bonus was attached to the armoring. So simply put I guess, If I put current pvp armorings in my rakata gear, will it still maintain the rakata set bonus?

Nope, since set bonus is tied to the armoring now, your armoring will override the Rakata. I use my Rakata chest piece on my Sentinel for PVP.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Nope, since set bonus is tied to the armoring now, your armoring will override the Rakata. I use my Rakata chest piece on my Sentinel for PVP.

Awww goddamit, so there's absolutely no way for me to sneak those sexy Rakata operative set bonuses into PvP anymore?

StudioTan

So insider video said new event mid January. Assume Rakghoul event is safe bet next week or so.

He said mid January so it sounds like next week is a good bet. The footage in the video looked very cool. I wonder if it'll be a recurring event? I would guess so since it seems like they want to have a rotation of events and it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of resources on one-off content.

StudioTan

Bothan. The guy on Reddit who does all the data mining said they added some Bothan NPCs recently. I don't recall seeing any on Corellia but I haven't done a full run of that planet in a long time. I just did the Consular class quest there and didn't see any but I was only doing the class quest and no others.

Couldn't you do it if you had the BM shells?

Surely by this point the stat boosts from the newer armorings would far outweigh the benefits of the better rakata set bonuses?

Looking forward to the new rakghoul event, some of the achievements for it sound pretty fun.

Giolon

Bothan. The guy on Reddit who does all the data mining said they added some Bothan NPCs recently. I don't recall seeing any on Corellia but I haven't done a full run of that planet in a long time. I just did the Consular class quest there and didn't see any but I was only doing the class quest and no others.

OMG! WTB playable. I was a Bothan Ranger/Rifleman in SWG.

Whooter

I still want a playable Rodian (like I had in SWG)... Has there been any indication that might come, or are they not considering races that don't speak "english"?

kmz

Neo Member
Awww goddamit, so there's absolutely no way for me to sneak those sexy Rakata operative set bonuses into PvP anymore?

I use two Arkanian armorings with 61 mod/enh to get the 15% Kolto Cloud bonus in PVP and still have full expertise in a WZ.

StudioTan

OMG! WTB playable. I was a Bothan Ranger/Rifleman in SWG.

I'm glad I'm not the only one excited :p I had a Bothan swordsman/master chef/musician. I would even consider changing my main's race to a Bothan since I'm using the same name. When I saw him during the cutscene I kind of did a double take.

I still want a playable Rodian (like I had in SWG)... Has there been any indication that might come, or are they not considering races that don't speak "english"?

Only races that speak Basic, they said the tested out having people be able to play something like a Wookie but constantly listening to growls during 100+ hours of questing got extremely annoying. They also won't add any races that can't use the default body shapes.

UltraMav

With the cartel cyborg parts they have added and more coming soon, you can essentially make your character look like a droid.

I wonder if this is their workaround for people wanting a droid race but the inherent flaw in allowing droids to have force powers, or if it was simply easier to make these armor sets instead of implement a whole new range of customization for a new species.

(Although it would seem they're leaving money on the table, as I'm sure tons of people would roll a full droid species.)

I think its better this way than making a droid race since it would be messy with story dialogue in parts and issues about the force. If players want to make a droid, they can custom make one using the cyborg parts, while also leaving the option open for just regular cyborg characters to look cooler with only partial cybernetics. Some variations we saw in previous pack, and now a whole new body style of cyborg parts is coming up, so I hope they keep doing these for more variety. The nice thing about CC shop really has been the great amount of diversity it has added to the look of the game.

Whooter

Only races that speak Basic, they said the tested out having people be able to play something like a Wookie but constantly listening to growls during 100+ hours of questing got extremely annoying. They also won't add any races that can't use the default body shapes.

That makes me sad. :( Oh well.

Juice

I've been playing F2P for a little while (originally I bought the game at launch)

I'm thinking of subscribing for a month. Is there any kind of promotion right now? Like if one of you PMs me an invite you'll get a referral perk?

Milly79

I've been playing F2P for a little while (originally I bought the game at launch)

I'm thinking of subscribing for a month. Is there any kind of promotion right now? Like if one of you PMs me an invite you'll get a referral perk?

http://www.swtor.com/r/LsFqBs

Actually, scratch that. Here is what is available:

Play Together & Enjoy Exclusive Benefits

New players can play free up to Level 50 with no time limit and also receive the Jumpstart Bundle with boosts and items for faster leveling.

Jumpstart Bundle includes:

1x Quick Travel Pass
5x Minor XP Boost
1x Inventory Module

Previous Subscribers enjoy seven days of subscription level access with unlimited access to missions and features up to Level 50 plus the following:

Preferred Friends Bundle includes:

Unlock: Inventory Module
Unlock: Crew Skill Slot
Customization Control: Display Titles
Customization Control: Unify Colors

One Complimentary Character Transfer for the lifetime of the account. For a full list of Subscriber benefits, visit

Top Bottom