• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Cystm

Found the story in FFXIV:ARR to be pretty awful, forgettable fantasy storyline, on par with the stuff that GW2 put out, but that had even worse presentation. Far prefer the story telling in SWTOR.

FFXIV is a beautiful game and world though, I like lot of the game systems, could care less about the stories though.

The story, the dialogue, and the art direction of the stories main antagonists ( dudes that look like power rangers villains) are so bad, that as good as the rest of that game is, I gave up on it.

Alur

Yes, the mirror class Sage/Shadow. It kind of makes sense given that the character is supposed to be more mediators than anything else, I found it dull and boring as hell.

Yeah, it's pretty bad on both sides. The sage/shadow version does pick up in chapter 3 and 4 in comparison, but it's certainly not a class you want to play if you are just in it for the story mode.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I feel like it was a pretty good year for SWTOR overall. Started with Makeb and ended with GS. I still play almost every night and still have so much I haven't done. Also, I know people like to shit on the Cartel stuff but they've put out a lot of great stuff. There is a very good variety of outfits and mounts available these days, you can really customize your characters and make them unique.

The most exciting thing however is that for the first time we don't seem to have any idea what's coming. I'm pretty sure anything that has leaked in the past has come out. It also feels like we're finally going to start seeing stuff come out that was developed after the move to F2P and the stabilization of the dev team. I have a feeling we're going to be seeing some new types of content this year, hopefully the long requested stuff like Pazaak and pod racing.

My personal wish list would have to include some sort of player housing. Whether it's ships you can decorate or actual apartments and houses on various planets I would LOVE to see this. I love doing activities that aren't combat related and help me personalize and get more immersed in the world. I also have a very solid and active guild on my server and I would love a place we could all hang out instead of on the fleet. My old city back in SWG always had guild members hanging our in our houses and making it feel like a living place and not just storage.

I would also like to see a revamp to the dye system, the current system is pretty shitty. I do buy dyes off the GTN but I would do it MUCH more often if they were at least reusable.

Obviously other big content is very welcome, more story stuff, more planets, a big meaty expansion.

What do you guys think?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm having fun running through the storylines I missed. Levelling a jedi guardian, bounty hunter, and will probably start a consular soon. Man I really want a double xp weekend so I can skip all these boring ass planet quests and just do straight class missions.

Dropped 400,000 credits on a stack of those major experience boosts lol, down to 500k now. What's the quickest way to make some more credits?

Heysoos

I'm having fun running through the storylines I missed. Levelling a jedi guardian, bounty hunter, and will probably start a consular soon. Man I really want a double xp weekend so I can skip all these boring ass planet quests and just do straight class missions.

Dropped 400,000 credits on a stack of those major experience boosts lol, down to 500k now. What's the quickest way to make some more credits?

Dailies still seems like the best way. Before I quit I just ran my daily GF quests, made a good amount of money there without trying too hard. Though, it was easy for me with a tank and a healer toon in hand.

Moff

It also feels like we're finally going to start seeing stuff come out that was developed after the move to F2P and the stabilization of the dev team.

is it known when they started with the develpment of the oricon content? I always assumed that was started after the F2P transition.
at least I hope so, because its damn good.

apart from that, I dont feel really excited about the not knowing whats up next, its rather fear I feel. they should really have announced the next big thing by now.

vilmer_

I'm watching a couple of SWTOR streams on Twitch and it's making me want to re-install to see if there are any old faces still kickin' around. I haven't played in ages and last I heard POT5 had a couple of cases where tons of people left in droves (quit altogether/server transferred). It still seems to be nicely populated though.

So the new Rackghoul event should be sometime this January I assume because of the last patch and next update is in Feb.

Want more starfighter content already :(

Syf

Banned
Can anyone tell me how the population is on Harbinger these days? Been thinking about downloading the game again to try out the starfighter stuff.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Can anyone tell me how the population is on Harbinger these days? Been thinking about downloading the game again to try out the starfighter stuff.

Harbinger is one of the busier servers. It was showing Heavy population yesterday.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm havin a blast playing this game again, more than I thought I would. Think I'm going to get pretty much every class to 50, and then decide what I want to main at 55.

So I'm dirt poor on credits again but I'm sitting on 3000 cartel points, what should I spend them on for the most $$$?

Alur

I need to start PVPing again. The queues were pretty haphazard on JC but I miss it.

The JC queues are pretty quick/instant til about 2 am, then it's 3 to 5 mins or so. Nothing bad. The competition is pretty level now on both sides too.

Folks dropping on JC right now due to this login attack, however...

Alur

Hahaha, first time in a wz for a few months, 800k heals at level 40. Did they make this easier?

Due to the bolster, numbers are much higher than they used to be. If it's a quick game now, instead of 300k being the typical bench mark you'll see 500-600k. The longer the game, the higher the numbers of course, and you'll see 1 million (healing wise, not so often damage wise) pretty regular in 55's and occasionally in the lowbies even.

If you are on JC, you may also see a bit of a numbers boost cause the competition is leveled out now...very very few premades anymore, in lowbies or 55's, so more even games.

Some early 2.6 info from Eric Musco:

3 new ships is nice, but really wish for at least a new gameplay mode or map makes it in for 2.6 , but seems doubtful.

Also know that there is supposed to be a new flashpoint in 2.6 tied to the Kuat Shipyards, and seems logical with the new Kuat clothing stuff being added to the cartel market. Wonder if theres a chance for the new huttball wz in 2.6....

Giolon

3 new ships is nice, but really wish for at least a new gameplay mode or map makes it in for 2.6 , but seems doubtful.

Also know that there is supposed to be a new flashpoint in 2.6 tied to the Kuat Shipyards, and seems logical with the new Kuat clothing stuff being added to the cartel market. Wonder if theres a chance for the new huttball wz in 2.6....

They did tell us in the cantina event that they are working on additional GSF modes and maps. I don't remember if they said when they are supposed to appear.

Alur

If there are new GSF maps already I'd be amazed. That'd be quite unlike them to follow up a content patch with the new content for the same thing so quickly. As for the new Huttball, one can only hope. My body is ready.

On a semi-related note I'd like to ask for observations from other PVPers. Most of us remember the days of constant Huttball - before the first server merges. KV imps loved it, KV pubs hated it, and at the time it was the only same faction game you played. They expanded same faction to other WZ's and you'd get it on average about the 25% of the time you'd expect with having 4 wz's after the first set of merges (with Novare added).

Nowadays, we have 5 warzones and the arenas, of course. On Jedi Covenant, the least seen warzone by most everyone I talk to (barring arenas) is Huttball. Has anyone else noticed this? I play on average five to ten matches a night if I'm on. At least 60-70% of those are Civil War or Ancient Hypergates, with Novare being third. We are lucky to see Huttball on a given night, and usually only one Voidstar. What gives? It's really weird and kind of sad. Huttball is the best warzone they created, why relegate it to the back of the line?

For reference: Huttball > Voidstar > (no side speeder version) Civil War > Ancient Hypergates = Novare Coast > (original recipe) Civil War

kmz

Neo Member
I feel like something got screwed up with warzone randomization/matching post 2.0. Before 2.0 I almost never got two warzones of the same type back to back. The only exceptions I can remember involved backfilling into existing warzones. Post-2.0 it's not unusual to get a streak of 4-5 matches of the exact same type.

Alur

I'd say the most I've seen lately is: CW > AH > VS > HB > NC > Arenas

Yeah, what we've been seeing:

AH > CW > NC > Arenas > VS > Huttball.

Ancient Hypergates has quickly dropped on my list due to how many times we have played it. Often it's AH x2 then CW x1 then AH again.

I feel like something got screwed up with warzone randomization/matching post 2.0. Before 2.0 I almost never got two warzones of the same type back to back. The only exceptions I can remember involved backfilling into existing warzones. Post-2.0 it's not unusual to get a streak of 4-5 matches of the exact same type.

Pretty much. As I said above, Ancient Hypergates repeats a lot and CW is also another offender.

That was kind of what I was getting at - they had to have changed something/broke something for the WZ representation to weighted so strongly in AH/CW favor.

I seem to constantly get NC when I pvp

Novare is our third most common as well. I wish it was weighted back evenly, or even better, in Voidstar and Huttballs favor.

_DrMario_

So what's the state of the game right now? I played to lvl 50 when the game first came out but got bored with it for some reason. For some reason I can't seem to remember what made me quick except "boredom".

Anyway I'm asking because I have a serious Star Wars itch (damn you pinball fx2) I need to scratch but I'm real cautious about F2P games.

Thanks.

Alur

So what's the state of the game right now? I played to lvl 50 when the game first came out but got bored with it for some reason. For some reason I can't seem to remember what made me quick except "boredom".

Anyway I'm asking because I have a serious Star Wars itch (damn you pinball fx2) I need to scratch but I'm real cautious about F2P games.

Thanks.

As someone who would basically be a fresh 55, there's a ton of stuff for you to do. More than a handful of raids (5 at 55, the original 2 from 50-54 and still doable for weekly rewards at 55), five warzones and three arenas (I think it's three) for PVP, countless daily areas for questing and getting reputation items if you're into that sort of thing.

Tons of features have been added since you left, likely. Group finder for flashpoints and raids, account wide achievements, world events on a monthly basis, the new expansion added the planet Makeb which continues your storyline (in general, not your class storyline) and allows you to get to 55. There's also other new planets for raids or dailies, like CZ-198 and Oricon. Server transfers, name changes for characters and legacies, race and cosmetic changes. No faction changes, though. Also two new companions, HK-51 and an ewok.

That's a few things, anyway. Probably more that I missed.

Ianan

Have not played SWTOR since the release, I loved it, got to 50 on a Jedi Guardian and about 40ish on a Smuggler. How is it going with it these days? Is the F2P model working out? Is there any brief list / run down of whats been added since launch on the web somewhere? Been very tempted to jump back into it, used to have a blast with it!

Have not played SWTOR since the release, I loved it, got to 50 on a Jedi Guardian and about 40ish on a Smuggler. How is it going with it these days? Is the F2P model working out? Is there any brief list / run down of whats been added since launch on the web somewhere? Been very tempted to jump back into it, used to have a blast with it!

Since launch they have added 4 flashpoints, 5 raids, 4 new daily area hubs, barber shop, group finder, armor dyes, full armor customization options, 2 new warzone pvp maps, the arena system with 4 arena maps, galactic star fighter, 6 hard mode space missions, reputation system, legacy system......

Also they added a new planet with unique story for the empire and republic sides, raising level cap to lvl 55, so new hard modes and content appeared with that including seeker and macrobinocular quests/activities. Lot of quality of life improvements as well such as lot of game engine optimization, it looks and runs better now. UI is fully customizable now too. They merged servers together into newer higher capacity servers so populations are much larger than they appeared at launch which had tons of smaller servers instead.

The f2p system is kinda restrictive though, it lets you play the storylines, but you feel constrained. If you sub, its well worth it I think.

Alur

I tried Starfighter tonight since Rep PVP was downright awful. I suck so bad lol.

Welcome to my world.

I did it a lot for the first week I was back, began improving at a decent clip, but haven't touched it since. This is hard for me to believe, but there is honestly too much to do for me to bother trying to learn.

With PVP dailies on what's about to be 4 characters, world events when they are up, pugging SM raids each week, and dailies on CZ-198 and Oricon, there's already more than I can get done in one night.

Heysoos

Welcome to my world.

I did it a lot for the first week I was back, began improving at a decent clip, but haven't touched it since. This is hard for me to believe, but there is honestly too much to do for me to bother trying to learn.

With PVP dailies on what's about to be 4 characters, world events when they are up, pugging SM raids each week, and dailies on CZ-198 and Oricon, there's already more than I can get done in one night.

If you ever need a tank/healer/dps for sm raids hit me up ;)

But yeah, it felt like I was back on bf4 trying to fly the planes. I can only do that with my 360 controller so I'm shit out off luck here haha

Alur

If you ever need a tank/healer/dps for sm raids hit me up ;)

But yeah, it felt like I was back on bf4 trying to fly the planes. I can only do that with my 360 controller so I'm shit out off luck here haha

I am just fairly incapable of tracking a target once it flies through me. I just can't locate it again. The skilled players do circles around me at will. When I play GSF, I feel like how most people do when they play PVP - just overwhelmed from the start and at a huge disadvantage.

And indeed, when you are on we'll do that. All you need is that 53 artifact gear from the Oricon intro quests, bare minimum, if you don't already have gear (at least for most of the SM's).

vilmer_

I might just re-sub. I've been testing Wildstar for a while and it just isn't cutting it. They are trying to cater to the new WoW crowd and it would be great if there were no WoW, or a new expansion coming out next year... The game is going to be dead before it even hits the ground, especially when Blizz announces the WoD release right around Wildstar launch.

I have a few friends who are coming back as well as a few online friends who I've reconnected with and it just makes sense. After all that is what I play MMO's for - the community.

Alur

I might just re-sub. I've been testing Wildstar for a while and it just isn't cutting it. They are trying to cater to the new WoW crowd and it would be great if there were no WoW, or a new expansion coming out next year... The game is going to be dead before it even hits the ground, especially when Blizz announces the WoD release right around Wildstar launch.

I have a few friends who are coming back as well as a few online friends who I've reconnected with and it just makes sense. After all that is what I play MMO's for - the community.

I got into Wildstar and have enjoyed what I've played of it. I don't see the WoW catering, I just see every MMO has WoW elements. No way to avoid the comparison. At least the setting and classes are enjoyable. I actually kind of wish I wasn't enjoying SWTOR so much again so I could get deeper into it.

Friends coming back is the same reason I went back to SWTOR. When you're on an island, MMOs are terrible, IMO. With friends, even the most mundane thing (dailies for instance) are much more enjoyable.

Milly79

The majority of my uncensored buddies are going to Wildstar and looking at it, it really reminded me of GW2, which got horribly boring at max level. Is it like it at all? The combat looked the same at least.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The majority of my uncensored buddies are going to Wildstar and looking at it, it really reminded me of GW2, which got horribly boring at max level. Is it like it at all? The combat looked the same at least.

looks like just another age of conan/gw2 "wow killer" tbh. Overhyped pile of junk marketed as "the MMO for PVPers." I'll give it a month. Most of my buddies that routinely play MMOs haven't even heard of it, which is something that GW2 had going for it at the very least.

And yeah, you can expect Blizzard to announce WoD's release date the second Wildstar releases theirs.

Heysoos

One thing that kind of spoiled me from FFXIV is how beautiful it looked and how well optimized it was. SWTOR runs like ass on my laptop, when it really shouldn't. Meanwhile, I could play FFXIV pretty comfortably with high settings on my laptop.

i7-4700mq
GT 750m SLI

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
One thing that kind of spoiled me from FFXIV is how beautiful it looked and how well optimized it was. SWTOR runs like ass on my laptop, when it really shouldn't. Meanwhile, I could play FFXIV pretty comfortably with high settings on my laptop.

i7-4700mq
GT 750m SLI

Yeah SWTOR has a lot of technical problems. My laptop is worse than yours and I run pretty much everything on high with shadows off; though I used to have horrible stuttering until I tried a few odd fixes from the SWTOR forums. I was reading somewhere SWTOR sucks ass with SLI and that disabling one card will get you much better results when playing.

Alur

No clue on max level, to be honest. Closed beta is capped at 36 for now. I never played GW2 to know about the combat, but it's not like WoW/SWTOR/FFXIV at least (which are all fairly similar, IMO, just varied by speed). You can only have eight abilities at a time, and abilities actually have to be aimed. Combat is much more twitchy than SWTOR, if that helps. A lot quicker.

looks like just another age of conan/gw2 "wow killer" tbh. Overhyped pile of junk marketed as "the MMO for PVPers." I'll give it a month. Most of my buddies that routinely play MMOs haven't even heard of it, which is something that GW2 had going for it at the very least.

And yeah, you can expect Blizzard to announce WoD's release date the second Wildstar releases theirs.

It's possible. I'm not that far in. It's a bunch of the original WoW devs, so I'd give it more weight that Conan or GW2 just because of their history and proof of ability.

You're very right on people not having heard of it...for whatever reason, a lot of folks haven't. My friends haven't either. They are super tight lipped and beta is still under NDA. I would figure they'd start building hype since it's supposed to be out this year, but /shrug.

Sothpaw

Man Wildstar's art completely kills the game for me.

I'm looking forward to Wildstar, but I try all MMOs usually... though skipping on ESO for sure after that hilarious beta. The focus on PVP in Wildstar could be good... or bad...

Even without giant open world pvp, SWTOR has some of my favorite pvp of any game, it just clicks all the right things for me and reminds me of the parts I liked about the Warhammer Online scenarios. Open world pvp usually is a mess that just doesn't work. RvR stuff really is just a larger scale scenario that typically has no end and is a never ending cycle, so it's hit or miss with me.

And now GSF pvp has given the game a whole new way to play pvp which I'm loving. So yea FFXIV is getting shelved for more time on this for now.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's possible. I'm not that far in. It's a bunch of the original WoW devs, so I'd give it more weight that Conan or GW2 just because of their history and proof of ability.

You're very right on people not having heard of it...for whatever reason, a lot of folks haven't. My friends haven't either. They are super tight lipped and beta is still under NDA. I would figure they'd start building hype since it's supposed to be out this year, but /shrug.

Yeah, I mean it's just that NCsoft buying them out doesn't inspire much confidence in me (I've never enjoyed a single NCsoft game). Also most of those devs are from vanilla WoW, which obviously started it all, but IMO TBC is what really took WoW to the next level. Still my favorite period of any MMO ever, I remember those years fondly. I have big hopes for Warlords of Draenor because they moved the Titan team (a lot of the TBC guys) back on to WoW. We'll see.

Top Bottom