• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

I just realized I haven't really played in like 2 weeks. :( I was excited about Starfighter, but it didn't really capture my attention. Whenever I feel like PVPing I just decide to shoot people in BF4 instead. :(

I'll try to get on more this week.

Oh, you just realized, did you? lol. No one has even noticed you were missing...oh wait, there were those dudes you played with, weren't they? I wonder what they are up to.

BF4 with a bunch of angsted up teenagers calling you every slur in the book can't compare to huttball with angry serial PVPers with edgy guild names. It just can't. Where else can you take a Postmortem Blood Bath at Beer Thirty with The Other Guys before injecting a Lethal Dose and force leaping through your Nemesis' Prime Defense?

I've gone too far.

Vyroxis

Banned
Buddy and I were playing our stealther duo last night in PvP, and we got the Pylon game first shot. We hovered around the Pub pylon till about 12 seconds, locked down their one defender, double capped just before the explosion. Round two, they left two defenders back there. We did it again. Round three, they left half their team back to defend, the other half went to our pylon to try and fight their way back into the game. End result? We somehow got them to not pay attention for just long enough to cap again. We managed a clean sweep, on a server where Imps rarely win in PvP, especially at pylon. My buddy and I had 0 kills, 3 deaths each, no damage done, no healing. But christ that was fun.

We spent the rest of the night getting rolled like bitches. But for one game, we were gods...

Heysoos

Buddy and I were playing our stealther duo last night in PvP, and we got the Pylon game first shot. We hovered around the Pub pylon till about 12 seconds, locked down their one defender, double capped just before the explosion. Round two, they left two defenders back there. We did it again. Round three, they left half their team back to defend, the other half went to our pylon to try and fight their way back into the game. End result? We somehow got them to not pay attention for just long enough to cap again. We managed a clean sweep, on a server where Imps rarely win in PvP, especially at pylon. My buddy and I had 0 kills, 3 deaths each, no damage done, no healing. But christ that was fun.

We spent the rest of the night getting rolled like bitches. But for one game, we were gods...

I never knew why so many people got capped from behind while defending the pylons and then I saw a couple of Youtube videos and it seems a lot of people play EXTREMELY zoomed in and tunnel vision completely.

Alur

2.7 in April, sounds meaty. 2 flashpoints, nightmare mode dread fortress, the quesh huttball arena, and new GSF map.

Gimme dat new huttball map. Been waitin' and waitin', it's almost here.

I like how in the roadmap they say they are gonna release two more digital expansions this year...it's already February. You'd think we'd know some details about one by this point, right?

Moff

well, digital expansion can mean anything at this point.

I do admit I'm not quite satisfied with their schedule right now. havent they said at one point there will be content patches every what, 6 weeks? 8 weeks? between galactic starfighter and april will be 5 months.
there wasnt really anything worthwhile in between except for the upcoming tactical flashpoint, right?
am I jaded then I think there should be more for the huge revenue they make with the cartel market?

UltraMav

Hmmm, was looking for more than "Stay tuuuuned" at this point. It's been awhile since we've had something big to look forward to. I'd probably be more interested in GSF more if it connected to the ground game with special gear or something.

New huttball map (That we already knew was coming) sounds good. I hope the starting level FPs give us a reason to actually travel to the planets, too.

Alur

I do admit I'm not quite satisfied with their schedule right now. havent they said at one point there will be content patches every what, 6 weeks? 8 weeks? between galactic starfighter and april will be 5 months.
there wasnt really anything worthwhile in between, right?
am I jaded then I think there should be more for the huge revenue they make with the cartel market?

They said two digital expansions means:

Expect to see two digital expansions in 2014 just like you did last year, with one similar to Galactic Starfighter in scope and one more closely resembling Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

That sounds great. I just figure we would have to hear about one by now because it'd have to be well under development. They also stated they are changing to an every 9 weeks patch schedule to accommodate the two new expansions. That should answer your question there.

I don't know if you are jaded or not, to be honest. When I look at other MMO's I've played, such as EQ/WoW/FFXIV/Rift, they seem to put out stuff more often (they being SWTOR). Two expansions, if they are as good as the last two, is quite a bit of content. It seems like not much is coming down the pike, I agree, but when you add it up at the end of the year it's not a bad haul. I don't know what to say, honestly.

I feel like the biggest issue with MMOs today is not the companies themselves, it's us. We want, want, want, and want. And no matter how much they give, we have devoured it in a month or less. And the cycle continues.

It must be pretty frustrating as a developer to put out GSF and hear the PVPers (most of us here it seems) cry for their huttball map. Then the next patch have GSFers and PVPers cry for their maps. Then you announce NM modes for DF and DP and raiders cry for new raids period. They've really got a fractured player base, as far as there being not a lot of crossover for a healthy portion of folks. Hard to please everyone.

there wasnt really anything worthwhile in between except for the upcoming tactical flashpoint, right?

Little extra break during holiday time, but they have been keeping with 8 week schedule. 2.6 is a pretty lackluster update though for sure. Think they figure since they just added the Rakghoul stuff, it kinda gave something else around 2.6's release.

They did say a Rise of the Hutts like expansion should be on the way too.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The one interesting thing is he said that 2.8 is "going to be the biggest update up to this point" so that one should be very meaty. I assume he's not including RotHC when he says that but there have been some big updates in the past.

They do release content very regularly, the last MMO that I played for any length of time was Age of Conan and we were lucky to get 2 content updates a year. The issue is that if an update doesn't add stuff you enjoy then it just means you have another 8 weeks before you get new content. Galactic Starfighter is a pretty big and meaty addition to the game but if you don't like space combat then for you they may as well have not released anything at all.

Take this with a grain of salt but someone at the last cantina thing asked a question about player housing and claims he got a knowing grin back from the developer especially after he mentioned that furniture would be something that could add to packs to which the dev also agreed with a smile. So that may be something we see this year. Personally I would love that.

UltraMav

Take this with a grain of salt but someone at the last cantina thing asked a question about player housing and claims he got a knowing grin back from the developer especially after he mentioned that furniture would be something that could add to packs to which the dev also agreed with a smile. So that may be something we see this year. Personally I would love that.

Now that, I can get excited about.

So a free expansion and a paid expansion this year? Looking forward to whatever those may be.

Oooooh. Now this gets me excited.

Ugh, probably in minority here, but housing is the last thing this game needs. Nothing says Star Wars like having Darth Vader play home maker. It sorta fit in SWG with the concept of that game, but not in TOR, and with how instanced the game is, it's going to be lame instanced housing system that other games have done.

Such a rich universe that they can tap into with new features to add, and they waste the opportunity on something the game doesn't need. But hey, it gives them a ton of crap to put on the cartel market.

Housing should have not left the boundaries of your ship.

Alur

Ugh, probably in minority here, but housing is the last thing this game needs. Nothing says Star Wars like having Darth Vader play home maker. It sorta fit in SWG with the concept of that game, but not in TOR, and with how instanced the game is, it's going to be lame instanced housing system that other games have done.

Such a rich universe that they can tap into with new features to add, and they waste the opportunity on something the game doesn't need. But hey, it gives them a ton of crap to put on the cartel market.

Yeah I'm firmly in your camp, BattleMonkey. If we're gonna have housing features, just let me customize my ship or something. I already have a ship, don't really need a house. It would be nice to do something different with the layout and what not, but I'd rather have the actual gameplay content over housing anytime.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Now that, I can get excited about.

So a free expansion and a paid expansion this year? Looking forward to whatever those may be.

Oooooh. Now this gets me excited.

Again, grain of salt, it was info provided in a comment on Reddit, no idea how valid his story is. It would be cool though.

Yeah I'm firmly in your camp, BattleMonkey. If we're gonna have housing features, just let me customize my ship or something. I already have a ship, don't really need a house. It would be nice to do something different with the layout and what not, but I'd rather have the actual gameplay content over housing anytime.

Just speaks to my other comment, some of us would love housing and some really don't want it. They can never please everyone.

Draxal

Again, grain of salt, it was info provided in a comment on Reddit, no idea how valid his story is. It would be cool though.

Just speaks to my other comment, some of us would love housing and some really don't want it. They can never please everyone.

Ayup, and it's most likely the people who are doing housing, don't have the skillset to do other stuff. It'll be cool if it's like dungeon keeper and stage battles in the house.

They have so many systems in the game that need support, not housing :p

And where is the fucking Pazaak?

And people saying they can solo the new flashpoint at lvl 55 with decent gear lolz

Kainazzo

It's been a while since I've played this, I stopped as soon as I realized I'd have to level an alt to 15 to complete the HK quest. No Hutt Cartel or anything, guess I was a little burned out.

I think my gear was from Terror From Beyond. Am I hopelessly outdated now? Any additional companion content? Did they also ever fix the AA such that you don't have to edit the config file to get it above 2x?

I know MMOs move fast, but I really enjoyed TOR. I'm split between this or XIV, and knowing how far I'm behind here would help make up my mind.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
What does "galactic starfighter in scope" even mean?

Moff

well galactic starfighter is a whole new part of the game, that can independently motivate a player for dozens if not hundres of hours
I cant imagine anything comparable to that, a very fleshed out pazaak maybe? I would welcome it, pazaak cards could be part of everything that is already in the game, through drops or reputation rewards
but we'll see

Alur

I know MMOs move fast, but I really enjoyed TOR. I'm split between this or XIV, and knowing how far I'm behind here would help make up my mind.

If you think you are far behind here (SWTOR) and that's a worry, FFXIV is not the game for you. The endgame there is brutal with the lack of patience, plus it's a grind. Not as bad as it was at re-launch, but it's not exactly new player friendly. If you think you are pretty good, you might enjoy it. I would not recommend that game for any player that was not above average, though, not due to the gameplay but due to the people you play with.

Raid gear atm in SWTOR starts at Arkanian. It's the new Tionese equivalent. The Oricon dailies gives you gear that is the actual Tionese equivalent (53 artifact gear) and plenty to do story mode raids which are pugging constantly (on my server at least) so it's very easy to catch up. Most folks are only doing the SM's for the comms, so the Arkanian gear tokens are free to grab for the most part.

And, as I said above, there are far less assholes.

If you think you are far behind here (SWTOR) and that's a worry, FFXIV is not the game for you. The endgame there is brutal with the lack of patience, plus it's a grind. Not as bad as it was at re-launch, but it's not exactly new player friendly. If you think you are pretty good, you might enjoy it. I would not recommend that game for any player that was not above average, though, not due to the gameplay but due to the people you play with.

Raid gear atm in SWTOR starts at Arkanian. It's the new Tionese equivalent. The Oricon dailies gives you gear that is the actual Tionese equivalent (53 artifact gear) and plenty to do story mode raids which are pugging constantly (on my server at least) so it's very easy to catch up. Most folks are only doing the SM's for the comms, so the Arkanian gear tokens are free to grab for the most part.

And, as I said above, there are far less assholes.

Yup the community and reaching endgame killed most of my interest in that game. Never seen such a bad endgame community develop so quick in a MMO

StudioTan

They have so many systems in the game that need support, not housing :p

And where is the fucking Pazaak?

And people saying they can solo the new flashpoint at lvl 55 with decent gear lolz

Yes please, and pod racing.

Alur

Yup the community and reaching endgame killed most of my interest in that game. Never seen such a bad endgame community develop so quick in a MMO

You aren't kidding. I hit 50 within the first two weeks of launch, maybe sooner, and it was like some folks had been maxed for 3 years or so they acted. Pretty insane. Not what I was expecting. I absolutely loved it to that point. Even in our own GAF guild folks were like that, which was surprising.

Let me just say, as a Scrapper since launch, it's good to be back in the game in warzones. :)

I didn't think smuggler deeps was as out of it as some claimed, but that's neither here nor there.

Now that the patch came in, I have seen at least one in every game. Two of the better PVP guilds on our server have been running premades with 2 concealment ops a piece. It is brutal as a healer at the moment. Makes me wanna roll scrapper and give it a shot, I've never tried it. I have no clue what the priority rotation is.

UltraMav

I didn't think smuggler deeps was as out of it as some claimed, but that's neither here nor there.

We weren't as bad as the hyperbolic statements all over the game forum. In the hands of a skilled player we were still a force, but we had some serious issues. I certainly wouldn't classify myself as a "top-end" player, but I was better than most that I encountered. This is a step in the right direction, and I feel much more confident entering a fight after this patch.

The largest benefit for me, personally, is that incidents of "Oh you're not a healer, NM" will hopefully be declining when attempting to group up, thanks to improved general perception.

Alur

The largest benefit for me, personally, is that incidents of "Oh you're not a healer, NM" will hopefully be declining when attempting to group up, thanks to improved general perception.

Yeah, I can see that. I've been in exactly one raid since I've been back with DPS operative/scoundrel. Even our guild was like WTF.

We weren't as bad as the hyperbolic statements all over the game forum. In the hands of a skilled player we were still a force, but we had some serious issues. I certainly wouldn't classify myself as a "top-end" player, but I was better than most that I encountered. This is a step in the right direction, and I feel much more confident entering a fight after this patch.

I know! I gave up on my lethality op as I didn't want to heal and I kept getting kicked from even sm ops and L55HM pugs by morons.

Alur

For everyone not getting Huttball, you'll be glad to know 5/7 matches I've played today were Huttball.

I was on your server for a brief time earlier today. There was only one fleet on both sides at about 4:30 my time. I was sad :(.

Milly79

I was on your server for a brief time earlier today. There was only one fleet on both sides at about 4:30 my time. I was sad :(.

You have to think it's 2 hours earlier. It's generally always heavy or very heavy. I think a lot may be out actually rping.

Alur

You have to think it's 2 hours earlier. It's generally always heavy or very heavy. I think a lot may be out actually rping.

Yeah, you may be right. I've read it's one of the heaviest populated, but when I was on like I said there was only one fleet per. JC has two going by noon every day, that's why I thought it was weird, because it was well past noon server time for BC. Could it be that most of BC are adults and have jobs? Hehe.

At any rate, I did some PVP...you'd be havin a giggle m8 if you knew what I had named myself. The irony. The 55's seemed pretty balanced in the couple I did, but each game started off 4v4 and didn't fill up until about 3 or 4 minutes into the match. It was a pretty weird dynamic, games were even but we were in huge objective maps instead of the small arena ones. It was actually pretty fun trying to guard the Voidstar doors in a 4v4 setting.

Sothpaw

Sucks the new flashpoint is role neutral. Role neutral is just boring to me. Big reason why GW2 is garbage and why I am not excited for EQN.

StudioTan

Sucks the new flashpoint is role neutral. Role neutral is just boring to me. Big reason why GW2 is garbage and why I am not excited for EQN.

Yeah, I agree. It's fun to run once but I don't like role neutral. GW2 is so boring because fights have very little strategy. Designing encounters around the trinity provides more interesting and challenging gameplay.

Draxal

I think Swtor could use both, until they fix the respec issue there's just going to be way too many dps in the q's compared to tanks and healers.

Giolon

I think Swtor could use both, until they fix the respec issue there's just going to be way too many dps in the q's compared to tanks and healers.

What is the Respec issue? It's free for Subs, and you can learn field Respec to respect anywhere.

I doubt they are going to go role neutral for all flashpoints from now on. And ops will always still need the roles.

Kuat flashpoint really feels like an instanced daily heroic really, with the randomization giving it a slight bit replayability. And giving it a little hub with rep vendor? Yea it feels like a new approach to dailies if anything.

Giolon

Poor choice of words on my part. Lack of dualspec and saved gear sets, so switching between Trinity roles is less painful.

Agreed.

I doubt they are going to go role neutral for all flashpoints from now on. And ops will always still need the roles.

Kuat flashpoint really feels like an instanced daily heroic really, with the randomization giving it a slight bit replayability. And giving it a little hub with rep vendor? Yea it feels like a new approach to dailies if anything.

Bingo. It didn't feel like a Flashpoint at all. I felt like I was doing a giant (tedious) Heroic quest.

God team deathmatch in GSF just sucks. It's nothing but lines of gunships blasting away at each other. At least with the capture objectives, it promotes other ship usage, but in deathmatch it seems like 60-75% of the teams are nothing but gunships, and bombers laying mines all around the bombers to protect against anything that gets through the wall of rail gun blasts.

Really dislike the gunship concept they came up with for GSF, but deathmatch just compounds it as it promotes nothing but staying far away getting the easy kills.

Moff

what? there is a new mode now? deathmatch? are there new maps, too?
I always thought the gunship was fine and balanced, for capture mode at least.

Draxal

God team deathmatch in GSF just sucks. It's nothing but lines of gunships blasting away at each other. At least with the capture objectives, it promotes other ship usage, but in deathmatch it seems like 60-75% of the teams are nothing but gunships, and bombers laying mines all around the bombers to protect against anything that gets through the wall of rail gun blasts.

Really dislike the gunship concept they came up with for GSF, but deathmatch just compounds it as it promotes nothing but staying far away getting the easy kills.

Gunships and Bombers work too well together, as bombers pretty much protect gunships from their only weakness.

I'm okay with gunships damage output as is, but I think they need a survival nerf while strike fighters could use a survival buff.

I'm not sure what I think about bombers right now, they're so tanky yet they're almost too useful at the same time. There's not enough trade off.

I think scouts are fine right now, I think they win too many matches against strike fighters, but if you buff up the strike fighter's hull, they should win more matches against them.

And I pretty much exclusively play a flashfire (the republic sting equivalent).

what? there is a new mode now? deathmatch? are there new maps, too?
I always thought the gunship was fine and balanced, for capture mode at least.

They added a deathmatch mode map. It's similar to the other space capture map, bunch of asteroids and debris. Powerups spawn that can give you various types of buffs. First team to get 50 kills wins. Each side has two different spawns.

Gunships and Bombers work too well together, as bombers pretty much protect gunships from their only weakness.

I'm okay with gunships damage output as is, but I think they need a survival nerf while strike fighters could use a survival buff.

I'm not sure what I think about bombers right now, they're so tanky yet they're almost too useful at the same time. There's not enough trade off.

I think scouts are fine right now, I think they win too many matches against strike fighters, but if you buff up the strike fighter's hull, they should win more matches against them.

And I pretty much exclusively play a flashfire (the republic sting equivalent).

Yup strike fighters need a buff. For dog fighting, the scouts are just so much superior. So much better at always being on someones ass. The superior firepower of the strikes really doesn't feel that "superior".

In deathmatch, bombers and gunships pretty much dominate. Bombers aren't as effective in capture modes. Gunships were given a slight nerf this update with having the minimum charge between shots added, so they can't shoot as rapidly, but still if your in the open and a gunship has you in your sights, unless your a scout with barrel roll, you are pretty much dead. Frankly gunships have way too easy a time hitting things, the hitboxes or auto aim being given to the railguns is ridiculous. Playing a gunship, it's funny how off my shots can be yet I'm scoring kills left and right. I should need to aim a lot better.

And I just detest the magic stopping power of gunships, you essentially instantly go to a speed of nothing and capable of making spot on shots. Gunships should be required to slow down and come to a stop before they can aim, not the instant stop which looks incredibly stupid in play when you see a high speed gunship boosting and suddenly comes to a dead stop like it hit a wall.

Heysoos

I got a bunch of Operatives mad at me tonight. :lol

They got through the first set of doors on Voidstar, and since they were either free cast healing or just tearing my team a new one. I started force pulling them to the edge and force pushing out. Eventually a Sage on my team caught on and started force pushing them for me so that there wasn't a delay to give them a chance to roll away. Needless to say a tank and a healer did what 6 DPS couldn't. Kill the Ops.

We still lost, couldn't get past the first set of doors, even though I almost stealth capped in the beginning, but no one CCed the Sorc for me. Was worth it though.

Moff

so which bomber is better?
the cheaper one for 2500 requisition seems to have one kind of a mine more, whats the difference?

so which bomber is better?
the cheaper one for 2500 requisition seems to have one kind of a mine more, whats the difference?

Make sure you have on the setting in GSF to show full detailed statistics for ships. Really best way to compare the ships. Outside of their load out differences, they usually have differences in stats.

Top Bottom