• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Eh I don't like that hidden strike knock down ---> root change at all. It's one of the best animations/feelings when playing an operative and it's a huge part of getting the jump on someone before they turn around and burst you down. We're not jedi with all the awesome force speed, leap, and striking animations--the dagger sound with the knockdown was one of the coolest and most satisfying animations as an operative.

Was thinking of levelling my op to 55 when I feel like getting a class up there, but now I'll have to rethink that. Maybe I'll go OG with the marauder. Though I'm enjoying levelling up a Sin/PT, we'll see.

Aren't there some MMOs where they separate PvE and PvP skills? Why couldn't they do it here? I know it would be a major revamp that would take time, but I think it would be worth it for sure.

Best thing would be to allow a PVP build, like in RIFT. But that requires a dual spec system, which they apparently can't figure out how to do.

They do have powers in this game at least that behave differently depending on if against npcs or players at least, like the smash nerf being only really against players, but doesn't nerf the pve version of it.

Alur

So we were discussing the absence of Huttball and Voidstar from queues and the abundance of Ancient Hypergate, Novare Coast, and Civil War, right? I kept track for my last 100 games. These are taken from both pub side and imp side.

The balance of power thing shifting on JC is for real. Roughly 60% of my games were solo queues, the majority of the rest were duos. Only 12 games were full groups. I won more on imp than pub and I played a weaker class (sorc versus scoundrel, both healing mainly).

Empire record: 40-12. Republic record: 32-17.

You may consider that awfully close for me to say the shift in power is real...but until this morning where I won 8 of 9, I was only 24-16 pub side which was a big gap and for most of the time I was barely above .500.

Now for the warzone balance (in order of least to most):

Corellian Square (A): 2
Orbital Station (A): 4
Tatooine Canyon (A): 4
Makeb Mesa (A): 5

So in essence, 15 arenas out of 100 games.

Voidstar: 12
Arenas: 15
Huttball: 15
Ancient Hypergates: 17
Civil War: 18
Novare Coast: 23

It's not the most scientific of data, but you can clearly see Novare Coast and Voidstar are slightly out of wack in this set of warzones. Everything else is clustered together pretty closely. At one point Huttball was ahead of AHG and CW even.

Once I started tallying, it seemed like I got huttball more often cause I didn't want to get it (to prove my point) and got AHG less because I was hoping to get it. Novare Coast though...lots of multiples with that thing. The hatred of that warzone flows through me.

Alur

Hey Alur, send me a PM if you want in for the Titanfall PC beta. I got an extra key.

You are a hero, sir, but I used my savvy to drum up a key from chat support. I'm already in, just hadn't loaded it up yet cause the servers were down earlier. Just give it to another or whatever.

LNBL

Think I might jump back in to experience the other storylines. Which class had the best storyline in your opinions, besides the Sith Warrior which I already lvl capped. No spoilers please:)

Think I might jump back in to experience the other storylines. Which class had the best storyline in your opinions, besides the Sith Warrior which I already lvl capped. No spoilers please:)

In my opinion the best 3 are Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight and Agent.

Milly79

Agent, Warrior, Bounty Hunter, Knight, Smuggler, Inquisitor, Consular.

Haven't played Trooper. And of course, all IMO.

Alur

Agent, Warrior, Bounty Hunter, Knight, Smuggler, Inquisitor, Consular.

Haven't played Trooper. And of course, all IMO.

Yeah you definitely don't want to play Inquisitor or Consular if you want a good story. They weren't much to write home about til the back end. Agent was my favorite, Smuggler wasn't too bad.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
My favorite were the Sith Warrior and the Imperial Agent. The Jedi Knight story is OK, the inquisitor is ass, and the rest I haven't played entirely.

Beepos

Curious - I played this at launch and finished the storyline for the Trooper and have been thinking how much I did enjoy my time. How is the population for the main servers? The biggest thing for me in MMOs is seeing other people play and I have finally got bored of GW2? Is there still a healthy number of people in game on the biggest US servers?

Alur

Curious - I played this at launch and finished the storyline for the Trooper and have been thinking how much I did enjoy my time. How is the population for the main servers? The biggest thing for me in MMOs is seeing other people play and I have finally got bored of GW2? Is there still a healthy number of people in game on the biggest US servers?

There's only a small amount of US servers now (8) and they are all pretty full in comparison to anything you saw back in the day. You can see how populated each server is at Tor Status.

The list says Jedi Covenant is the 4th most populated US server. Even being fourth we have three instances of Empire and Republic fleets each night from 5 or 6 PM EST til 10 or 11 EST and two almost all day. One instance is anywhere from 110/120 to 170 people, and that's just folks milling in the capitals. The world is much more populated than it ever was back when you first played due to higher server and instance caps.

Which server did you play on?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I'm on Shadowlands which isn't even one of the most populated and there are lots of people. You can find people for most content pretty easily. The lower level planets especially will be quite full and it thins out a bit as you get to the higher levels but you'll still find a good number of people on all the planets. This is even taking into account that I'm mostly playing Pub side which has less people than Imp on my server.

Prodigal

Banned
Looks like I'm going to resub again - haven't played since before it went F2P. Any of you guys play on Prophecy of the Five? I'm hoping the state of the PVP game isn't too bad at the moment; I had a lot of fun doing warzones on my Operative.

Alur

Looks like I'm going to resub again - haven't played since before it went F2P. Any of you guys play on Prophecy of the Five? I'm hoping the state of the PVP game isn't too bad at the moment; I had a lot of fun doing warzones on my Operative.

I don't think any of us are, but there's always server transfers if it sucks. Pot5 is where all the big PVP guilds went, so I'd imagine it's pretty stiff there.

As for your operative, they are both the strongest heals atm and they just got a buff in the last patch that has made them one of the FOTM in PVP for DPS again.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Some random thoughts..

So ive been back for about a week and the game is in much better shape now than at launch. Performance wise there is a huge difference, iirc. Same exact hardware as when the game launched and it runs so much better.

The achievements not unlocking is something im going to have to live with. i sent in a ticket with my 50 Operative saying that i dont have the 50 Op achievement and was told that it was a bug and not something a GM could fix. Oh well. ill probably do a female Sniper sometime just to redo the IA storyline.

In a weeks time ive started a fresh Sith Juggernaut and got him up to 34. For the first 28 levels i was playing as Immortal and doing okay. i recently respecced after having a terrible first time in PVP (i even ran to the wrong innzone in Huttball but i blame the vodka more than anything). Anyways.. respeccing as Vengeance has made leveling much more fun. ive yet to dare show my face back in Warzones though lol

i think it took me all of about one day to resubscribe. The game is good, easily the best its been in the 6 months ive played. i was a big fan of TOR at launch (its still far away the best KotOR game mechanically in pretty much every single regard) and it has won my personal $15 MMO limit easily. i love Rift but its nice to have something with a cool story and quest system.

The Legacy system is an evil, evil thing. The way it works across all characters is awesome but i find myself considering bringing every class to 55 which isnt so great.

Anyways.. it feels great to be back in TOR.

So top tier ranked pvp players are getting rancor mount lol.

Assume alternate skinned rancors will be made for CC shop packs and such in the future then, especially since the pvp mount has neon lights on it....

Alur

So top tier ranked pvp players are getting rancor mount lol.

Assume alternate skinned rancors will be made for CC shop packs and such in the future then, especially since the pvp mount has neon lights on it....

One would certainly hope so, because for 98% of the PVPers that Rancor is an impossibility due to the server they are on, the faction we are on, the guild they are in, or any combination of the previous three. I know quite a few folks good enough to get there, but every server is dominated by a small sect of elite PVP guilds in ranked.

That said, those are some sweet rewards and I hope whatever they put on the CM as a Rancor mount doesn't match that one in any way so it is truly unique. Sad it took em this long to add some. If they'd had this from the start of the original ranked 8v8 pre-season, it might have at least went a little better.

kmz

Neo Member
On the one hand, I think I'm only around 100 rating away from 1500 in solo rank, so it should be doable to get there before 2.7... on the other hand, I can imagine this news is going to bring a lot of non-PVPers into ranked queues to try to get the mount. Hmm...

kmz

Neo Member
And I'm actually not super sure they'll put a recolor on the CM. They could be looking at it like the PVP equivalent of the NiM Ops mounts, none of which are on the CM (yet).

Alur

On the one hand, I think I'm only around 100 rating away from 1500 in solo rank, so it should be doable to get there before 2.7... on the other hand, I can imagine this news is going to bring a lot of non-PVPers into ranked queues to try to get the mount. Hmm...

Is 1500 a lower end rank, or have you just done the ranked that much? I would assume it would be near impossible without a lot of wins, but I don't know where 1500 is on the totem pole. 1500 was nothing in the pre-season, what is it now?

How's the GAF guild holding up? I've been considering coming back for awhile now since they've changed so much.

GAF is still chugging along like a champ last I saw. Raiding and clearing stuff, pretty good sized group. I'm not in there, but a few of the folks who still post here are.

And I'm actually not super sure they'll put a recolor on the CM. They could be looking at it like the PVP equivalent of the NiM Ops mounts, none of which are on the CM (yet).

The rest of the rewards are reskins/touched up versions of other gear in game, and they gave this rancor a special name too with those extra neon light items attached to it. I can't see them leaving something like a rancor mount as exclusive to pvp, as it's going to be a hugely popular money maker.

kmz

Neo Member
Is 1500 a lower end rank, or have you just done the ranked that much? I would assume it would be near impossible without a lot of wins, but I don't know where 1500 is on the totem pole. 1500 was nothing in the pre-season, what is it now?

A lot of the regular ranked players have ratings in the 1600+ range. I only did solo ranked occasionally. I think I'd done about 30 matches total to get to 1380.

Had a pretty good night early last night, got up to 1472. Then had a string of losses and now back down to 1400. *sigh*

Alur

Had a pretty good night early last night, got up to 1472. Then had a string of losses and now back down to 1400. *sigh*

Haha, this was me in preseason on my sorc in VM. Got up to 1500ish right in the beginning, by the time I swapped guilds and was playing my operative full-time my sorc was only like 1330 or something. It always seems so much quicker falling back.

As expected there will be more rancor mounts but the PVP and upcoming NiM Ops versions will be unique.

That sounds good to me. I just hope the rancor on CM is at least aesthetically attractive...no plain brown/tan/grey/black plzkthx.

Flunkie

Banned
Hey so uh, I'm jumping in on this one. Had a level 8 char on Ebon Hawk, then switched to Shadowlands ? I think to play with a friend and got to level 4 before wondering if there was an official GAF choice of a server. So I switched and have been getting back to essentially where I was in Ebon Hawk all tonight. But this time I plan on sticking with it. Just can't beat out the inner huge Star Wars nerd.

*logs off and continues reading Thrawn trilogy*

Hey so uh, I'm jumping in on this one. Had a level 8 char on Ebon Hawk, then switched to Shadowlands ? I think to play with a friend and got to level 4 before wondering if there was an official GAF choice of a server. So I switched and have been getting back to essentially where I was in Ebon Hawk all tonight. But this time I plan on sticking with it. Just can't beat out the inner huge Star Wars nerd.

*logs off and continues reading Thrawn trilogy*
Same here. First time player, I also switched servers from Shadowlands to Jedi Covenant and started out a Jedi Consular character. I played with Flunkie today for a while, and look forward to hook up with more people to do harder stuff. We got beaten up trying to do a heroic mission.

Moff

I think KOTOR 2 have the most interesting and well written characters ever, will I like this MMO ?

writing/story are only good compared to other MMOS.
its nowhere near KOTOR2, not even KOTOR1, if you expect that, you'll be disappointed. its still firsthand an MMO

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I think KOTOR 2 have the most interesting and well written characters ever, will I like this MMO ?
If you like the theme and tone of KotOR 2 i am confident you will like the Imperial Agent storyline. Although none of the characters in TOR, or any MMO for that matter, are as deep and involved like the ones in KotOR 2, the IA storyline is one of the least Star Wars "feeling" things ive experienced. In playing a character that doesnt use the Force many of the missions and dilemmas you deal with are things that are completely skirted in most Star Wars products. The Imperial Agent story plays out like a crazy blend of James Bond, Burn Notice, and Mission: Impossible in Space. The game is free so i would suggest giving the Imperial Agent a shot.

My other opinion on TOR is that is is hands down better in every way over KotOR 1 (its superior to KotOR 2 in every way except the story, plot, and characters). Combat, quest design, character customization, choices with interesting outcomes, loot, crafting, inventory (omg the original games inventory system.. grrr), mini-games.. everything, top to bottom, front to back, is better in TOR than the first game.

Alastor3

If you like the theme and tone of KotOR 2 i am confident you will like the Imperial Agent storyline. Although none of the characters in TOR, or any MMO for that matter, are as deep and involved like the ones in KotOR 2, the IA storyline is one of the least Star Wars "feeling" things ive experienced. In playing a character that doesnt use the Force many of the missions and dilemmas you deal with are things that are completely skirted in most Star Wars products. The Imperial Agent story plays out like a crazy blend of James Bond, Burn Notice, and Mission: Impossible in Space. The game is free so i would suggest giving the Imperial Agent a shot.

My other opinion on TOR is that is is hands down better in every way over KotOR 1 (its superior to KotOR 2 in every way except the story, plot, and characters). Combat, quest design, character customization, choices with interesting outcomes, loot, crafting, inventory (omg the original games inventory system.. grrr), mini-games.. everything, top to bottom, front to back, is better in TOR than the first game.

Thank you! I started playing it yesterday and now I just arrived on the first planet after the tutorial, I'll find a guide to know where to start the Imperial Agent Storyline (because damn the hub when you arrive on the planet is huge!!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Thank you! I started playing it yesterday and now I just arrived on the first planet after the tutorial, I'll find a guide to know where to start the Imperial Agent Storyline (because damn the hub when you arrive on the planet is huge!!

You should be lead along the class story naturally, it starts from the first scene. Look in your quest log (L), the next part of your class quest will be under the Class section.

Top Bottom