• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Looks like the Cartel Market raked in $139 million dollars in 2013.

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

That's a lotta packs :p

Very good news for the health of the game.

If you look at the fine print, that number includes the subscription income. Still a lotta packs.

You sure? It says "Similarly, Star Wars: The Old Republic earned $139 million in additional revenues". Also there is no way it's so close to WoW if it includes subs.

UltraMav

It's just a personality thing for me. I enjoy the top level PVP, and enjoy playing the top level players and can hold my own...what I don't like is how it seems everyone who feels they are good at the game must insult everyone else on their team and/or the other team depending on the outcome of the game. Unfortunately, these folks seem to be drawn to PVP in every game.

I would love to find a guild where the players are both good at the game and capable of being civil to non-guildmates. Those seem to be rare in SWTOR since the server mergers.

I can definitely understand that. There are some real assholes on The Bastion. I would have rolled a PvE server if it wasn't for my best friend insisting on PvP at launch. Of course he doesn't even play anymore, but I don't want to deal with moving 16 characters over and renaming all of them (again).

Alur

Looks like the Cartel Market raked in $139 million dollars in 2013.

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

That's a lotta packs :p

Very good news for the health of the game.

They got money from 4 or 5 hypercrates from me...so that's what? $200 or so at least? Plus my sub for most of the year and probably a few other things.

I'm glad they are raking it in. I believe with this revelation they should relax more restrictions on F2P as it's obvious the game is very profitable going forward.

I can definitely understand that. There are some real assholes on The Bastion. I would have rolled a PvE server if it wasn't for my best friend insisting on PvP at launch. Of course he doesn't even play anymore, but I don't want to deal with moving 16 characters over and renaming all of them (again).

What happens if you move only one character? Does your legacy go too and so you have two "UltraMav" legacies or what? If the legacy effectively becomes two equal level legacies that'd be awesome.

Milly/Yooni, how does it work?

UltraMav

I'm pretty sure it takes it with you, IIRC? I can't remember, it's been a while. You get to keep all your unlocks and what-not.

Yeah, I think it just moves with you to the other server, keeping your unlocks on the old server as well. I fund myself through alts and the GTN though, so I'd have to move ALL of them to keep a steady flow of credits. (Got tired of running dailies after two years. :p)

Alur

Yeah, I think it just moves with you to the other server, keeping your unlocks on the old server as well. I fund myself through alts and the GTN though, so I'd have to move ALL of them to keep a steady flow of credits. (Got tired of running dailies after two years. :p)

Semi-unrelated, but what are you using all those credits for? I've always been curious about this with the folks who roll in dough with a full fleet of crafters and dailies and the like. Do people just sit on it?

It's hard for me to fathom because I solely PVPed for so long I was always perpetually broke.

UltraMav

I don't buy packs, so I probably spend the most buying new adaptable gear for my alts, mounts, etc. Besides that I spend it on augments/kits. I usually only sit at about 3 million or so between alts 'cause I'm always spending on various things. I probably overdo it, as I'm one of those people who even has to get the "perfect look" for his companions.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I haven't played (non-starfighter) swtor in a couple months but i;m tempted to sub for a month (or try to find a cheapish 60 day card on ebay) just for rhakgoul event rep. black/green is my favorite crystal color and I want to stock up.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Does the event scale for lower level players?

Yes, same as last time. There is a level 25 mob that you kill that spawns others at your level.

PS - the infected Dewback and Varactyl mounts are awesome looking.

Gala

I'm thinking about downloading the game again. I played through the Bounty Hunter story during the release time and stopped playing the game since then.

Could anyone give me a little overview of what changed with all the f2p stuff and what new content there is? Also, are there any advantages for people who bought the game back then?
And does it make sence to subscribe again or does it more sense to buy certain stuff? I heard that EA messed up there F2P shop.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm thinking about downloading the game again. I played through the Bounty Hunter story during the release time and stopped playing the game since then.

Could anyone give me a little overview of what changed with all the f2p stuff and what new content there is? Also, are there any advantages for people who bought the game back then?
And does it make sence to subscribe again or does it more sense to buy certain stuff? I heard that EA messed up there F2P shop.

If you bought the game back in the day, you will be considered a preferred player, which has a few benefits over strict F2P (larger credit cap, among other things.) A lot of the stuff in the F2P shop is actually available for sale by other players for credits on the cartel market as well, so playing as a preferred player, especially if you aren't doing end-game stuff, is not quite as painful as it was when the F2P changeover first launched.

Alur

I don't buy packs, so I probably spend the most buying new adaptable gear for my alts, mounts, etc. Besides that I spend it on augments/kits. I usually only sit at about 3 million or so between alts 'cause I'm always spending on various things. I probably overdo it, as I'm one of those people who even has to get the "perfect look" for his companions.

You and I are kindred spirits, sir. I spend more money on gear matching than anyone I know. It's ridiculous how much credits I've spent on matching gear and then re-augmenting it over the past year, and I try to do the same for companions (outside of the ones who have heads who can't be covered - I'm looking at you Xalek and Ashara).

PS - the infected Dewback and Varactyl mounts are awesome looking.

I want that Varactyl, indeed. Guess it's time to go check it out.

vilmer_

If you guys still have any Rakghoul DNA samples from the first event way back when, you can trade 50 of them in for 1 DNA canister.

Heysoos

It'll be here two weeks I bet, no worries. Surely you can eek out an hour to do the dailies.

it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't fall asleep everytime I got home from class. I could sleep 12 hours straight the previous night, but as soon as I get home from class, I fall asleep. If I don't I get cranky. :/

Alur

it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't fall asleep everytime I got home from class. I could sleep 12 hours straight the previous night, but as soon as I get home from class, I fall asleep. If I don't I get cranky. :/

What are you, 58 and in a recliner? Young man like you needing all that sleep. Tsk tsk.

Minor gripe: could they have made more rep coms/tokens for this event? Those mounts take like 4 different currencies to get.

kmz

Neo Member
I'm guessing that part of it is they'd like people to actually work a bit on getting everything. I know I basically exhausted the BH event the first time it was out, though part of that was taking advantage of the Kingpins not being Weeklies. I only do BH now once in a while on my lowbies because of the good XP. I'm basically done with Gree unless guildies want help with something.

But with Rak I feel like it'll be at least a few go arounds before I exhaust everything.

Heysoos

Just saw the exchange rate for Old Rakghoul event comms to new one. Fucccccccccccccccck that.

Guess I'm going to have to grind all over again.

kmz

Neo Member
I think they promised way back when that any saved DNA Sample would be useful again some day.

I think I still have 5 somewhere in Shep's cargo bays. Woot, a tenth of a Canister.

Sorian

Banned
I think they promised way back when that any saved DNA Sample would be useful again some day.

I think I still have 5 somewhere in Shep's cargo bays. Woot, a tenth of a Canister.

They did indeed say to hold on to them but I think they let word out on it like 3 months after the last event ended so most had already ditched their stock. I'm excited to log in and check my bank, I don't remember if I decided to save them or sell them to some fool.

StudioTan

It depends on when you stopped playing, a lot has been added since then. The best place to look is Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/major_changes

Alur

Just saw the exchange rate for Old Rakghoul event comms to new one. Fucccccccccccccccck that.

Guess I'm going to have to grind all over again.

I'm surprised there is an exchange rate at all.

Yeah I was very surprised. I have 60 some on my sorcerer as I recall, which is good for one canister I guess.

I'm kind of sad they brought black-green crystals back, I've made good money selling them since back then and I know a couple folks who still have several that they come off of every now and then for cash. I'd rather have seen a new color combo since they also didn't bring back the old titles and legacy gear.

Draxal

Yeah I was very surprised. I have 60 some on my sorcerer as I recall, which is good for one canister I guess.

I'm kind of sad they brought black-green crystals back, I've made good money selling them since back then and I know a couple folks who still have several that they come off of every now and then for cash. I'd rather have seen a new color combo since they also didn't bring back the old titles and legacy gear.

I have a feeling they're coming back when you have to go to Tatooine, as the one achievement mentions Tatooine and Corellia.

Moff

that depends, if this is all we get its much worse. if it gets expanded every day like the last one it may become better.
its a new area, and the rewards are cooler, but apart from that, the one on tattooine was much more interesting, because of how you had to find out what happened.

the new one has no story to speak of

Sorian

Banned
that depends, if this is all we get its much worse. if it gets expanded every day like the last one it may become better.
its a new area, and the rewards are cooler, but apart from that, the one on tattooine was much more interesting, because of how you had to find out what happened.

the new one has no story to speak of

It won't expand each day and I'd say get used to it, this is the gree event with a different skin to it and we probably shouldn't expect anything to shake that boat for a long while.

Alur

How does it compare to the last?

Better, IMO. The area is better, more quests. PVP is still great in the event, even on our PVE server. We had roving bands of pubs and imps chasing each other across instances from like 3 in the day until about 2 in the morning.

I did it on three characters. Also did 16 man story The Eyeless and 16 man hard mode The Eyeless...not gonna be many pugs taking down The Eyeless like they did Xeno on hard mode. He hits like a goddamn truck, the "crush"/stomp mechanic is simple but it's the very kind of thing pugs fail at, and the adds just keep piling up unless you've got some nice ranged dps. It was very fun, to be honest. Has a lot of HP. He drops a ton of canisters on hardmode too.

I'm almost to friend now, just a few quests shy. There was enough PVP going on in the rakghoul area to where the PVP queues were actually pretty slow (5 mins instead of like 1 min tops) which was neat to see. I didn't get involved in it much, but the guild I ran the SM and HM with were there for most of the day PVPing.

Kudos to BW/EA for another good one.

EDIT: Apparently, no one else agrees with the above statement, lol.

Yea the event is a bit hollow feeling and generic (do like the random Rackghoul attacks in the cities), but it seems to be done that way to make it repeatable as it's obviously going to be turned on and off like the gree event.

I like it, but yea they really skimped on story aspect to make it a recurring event.

It would be a nice surprise if they have this event repeat in the future on different planets, and you know the way they made it, perhaps it will. The drill loads into a completely different instance and requires entire planet to reload to back to the surface. They can essentially just put the drill on any of the planets as it leads to a hidden zone instead of being planet bound. I think this also perhaps is a reason why the story is kept generic like this, as it has no real attachment to alderaan. So perhaps they will bring it back on other planets for variety.

Draxal

Yea the event is a bit hollow feeling and generic (do like the random Rackghoul attacks in the cities), but it seems to be done that way to make it repeatable as it's obviously going to be turned on and off like the gree event.

I like it, but yea they really skimped on story aspect to make it a recurring event.

It would be a nice surprise if they have this event repeat in the future on different planets, and you know the way they made it, perhaps it will. The drill loads into a completely different instance and requires entire planet to reload to back to the surface. They can essentially just put the drill on any of the planets as it leads to a hidden zone instead of being planet bound. I think this also perhaps is a reason why the story is kept generic like this, as it has no real attachment to alderaan. So perhaps they will bring it back on other planets for variety.

Achievement mentions Corellia and Tatooine, so its going to happen.

the one thing I missed about the old event that the curreont one doesn't have is any Bantha shenanigans.

Yay at the 2.6 updated patch notes. Railguns having a minimum charge required to fire now (fuck you gunships), shield pen reduced overall, and strike fighters getting a unique missile type.

Achievement mentions Corellia and Tatooine, so its going to happen.

the one thing I missed about the old event that the curreont one doesn't have is any Bantha shenanigans.

Yea the whole events feels modular, like the little field hospital thing and the drill site. I don't even remember if the world Alderaan is mentioned in the few dialogue scenes? It seems like they can just plant the event on any world fairly easy.

Ocho

As a new player, I dislike this event. I tried to participate but I can't do anything to the lvl 37 creeps. And in a PVP server, ganks are inevitable when they see my newbiness. I guess I need to rally my entire guild for a blob to at least finish the quests once..

As a new player, I dislike this event. I tried to participate but I can't do anything to the lvl 37 creeps. And in a PVP server, ganks are inevitable when they see my newbiness. I guess I need to rally my entire guild for a blob to at least finish the quests once..

Pretty much all events now are big pvp cluster fucks, people been whining for more world pvp in the game so all new daily areas and events added to the game are cross factional to promote pvp on pvp servers. Why I'm glad to not be on a pvp server.

Alur

Pretty much all events now are big pvp cluster fucks, people been whining for more world pvp in the game so all new daily areas and events added to the game are cross factional to promote pvp on pvp servers. Why I'm glad to not be on a pvp server.

Yeah. I can't imagine trying to do this stuff on a real PVP server, considering the PVP that happens on my PVE server already. It must be a bloodbath.

carterr

Neo Member
GAF has cleared Styrak NM, for the first time in over a year we are 100% on progression on all difficulties.

1653254.jpg

Alur

GAF has cleared Styrak NM, for the first time in over a year we are 100% on progression on all difficulties.]

Congrats! That's pretty awesome. What is the rare drop for this latest raid anyway? Like the cadillac mounts for EV/KP and the tank from Denova, or example. I wish I could get my hands on one of those tanks.

Moff

Congrats! That's pretty awesome. What is the rare drop for this latest raid anyway? Like the cadillac mounts for EV/KP and the tank from Denova, or example. I wish I could get my hands on one of those tanks.

its another tank-like mount. from the tank the droid boss turns into.
I really hope they make the NM mount from palace the kell dragon or the mecha-rancor.

Thinking of re-subbing and getting back in some GAF raids...wonder how bad my current gear is. I assume raiding and such is really restricted as just a preferred player?

StudioTan

Thinking of re-subbing and getting back in some GAF raids...wonder how bad my current gear is. I assume raiding and such is really restricted as just a preferred player?

You have to buy the weekly unlocks to do raids as preferred but they're generally not that expensive on the GTN. Do a couple of hours of dailies and that should net you enough credits for the unlock.

Top Bottom