• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

UltraMav

The cheesy "sexy" outfits are getting pretty old, but I like Saul Karath's uniform, although I read that it doesn't dye well, so maybe I won't.

Alur

It looks like Darthhater.com through in the towel. Dulfy reigns supreme.

Yes it was turned into a wiki a while ago.

Yeah, I can't even remember the last time I visited Darthhater. Was a good idea, but none of the SWTOR sites put the work in a-la MMO Champ or any of those like Dulfy did.

Now if only Dulfy didn't look so terrible. She needs to spruce that thing up a bit for all that traffic she's churning.

btw in case anyone missed me, I'm resubbing Friday. :)

Thanks for letting us know you un-subbed, sir! lol

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
enjoyed this so much in my first couple levels of free to play that I decided to subscribe for at least a month

my first mmo

having a blast <3

Welcome! If you're having fun at the beginning then you're going to be pleased as it only gets better as you get more skills and the planets get bigger. What class are you playing?

Heysoos

Thanks for letting us know you un-subbed, sir! lol

My sub lapsed and I forget why but I removed my credit card and forgot to put it back on. It kind of worked out though, been extremely busy this week/most of last so at least it wasn't wasted sub time :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
enjoyed this so much in my first couple levels of free to play that I decided to subscribe for at least a month

my first mmo

having a blast <3

Welcome.. the game really is worth a sub. The best thing about F2P MMOs is if you ever get tired or need a break you can unsub while still being able to log in every now and then to talk with friends or do things you never get old of.

Jedi Knight huh? Some of what i came here to post about might be relevant to you. Right now im playing a Sith Warrior>Juggernaut and thats the Imperial mirror to your class.

So i got my Juggernaut to 46. i can officially state that the class really comes into its own when you can get the highest talent in their DPS spec. Once i got Shatter in the top Vengeance tree how the class plays and meshes with other skills and talents combat has become an absolute blast to play. Like fun enough where i could kill shit just to kill shit.

The first 29 levels i played as Immortal tank spec. While i never had a fear of dying letting my first companion do all the damage.. well, she kinda hogged all the glory. i had fun and it was good practice for holding aggro on groups but it felt lacking in that sense of power rpgs can provide. i wasnt getting the upgrades that were noticable during combat, Vette was.

Then level 30 came around and with it the opportunity to get a damage skill from the Vengeance tree in the form of Impale. Instead of basically doing Vicious Slash and my Rage Builder over and over i now had a little more variety to play with. Making the switch from Tank spec to DPS spec was a little hard because i couldnt just wade into like 6 guys and come out okay. After 20-30 minutes of playing around with my new skills and priorities things worked out marvelously and it was a breeze to 45.

Right now when i play my dude feels so powerful. It sure wasnt this way for my Operative. Acid Blade was nice but i didnt feel this jump in powah. Right now, my Rage isnt even a concern. i always have a damage ability that hits hard as a truck off cooldown. In fact, i have so many options now that ive held up leveling just so i can figure out a comfortable keybinding setup with what i use most.

Some things for anyone doing Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior:

- Get Biochem for the reusable medkits. Prior to getting a healer companion things are going to be tough so the reusable medkits work wonders.

- Keep the companion you are using updated. Keep their starting weapon if it is moddable and upgrade it with the purchasable upgrades that use Planetary Commendations. These vendors are on your Fleet and are in the Supplies section. Keeping their weapon up to snuff is essential for any type of companion whether they are dps, healer, or tank. Weapon upgrades always have the most noticable jump in power because it makes them hit harder and heal better.

- Let your companion take some licks. With a dps companion make them attack first so they get aggro from the group first then charge in and wreck them one at a time so you arent getting the full brunt of the damage. If you have your healer companion out you can just jump in and target one guy. As long as you arent hitting anyone else your companions heals will get everyone elses attention. Think of your companions health bar as part of your own.

ive got more to say but i need to run for now.

So got to put bunch of time into Attack Squadrons game beta. GSF blows it out of the water in quality. Attack Squadron feels like garbage, but should have been expected from a browser game.

Heysoos

The Legacy system is an evil, evil thing. The way it works across all characters is awesome but i find myself considering bringing every class to 55 which isnt so great.

Anyways.. it feels great to be back in TOR.

I know the feeling.

sAPun0m.jpg

Anyways!

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Was dicking around with the Elder Scrolls beta this weekend and I was actually having fun with it--any of you planning on playing that at launch? I like the game but the $60 price tag +$15 a month is making me apprehensive, would be fun to roll around with some of the TOR oldies though.

god damn scoundrel/operatives are such bullshit healers

cant wait for the nerf bat

(sorry alur)

shit man slap those healers with the nerf bat but get rid of that shitty ass hidden strike change--that bullshit change legit made me lose all desire to continue playing SW:TOR LOL. I was having fun leveling a bunch of alts, casually PvPing on my level 51 operative to complete the daily, and then I read that change and just stopped playing (haven't played for two weeks now). Left a sour taste in my mouth. If you want to nerf op burst again, just nerf goddamn op burst, don't mess with a badass animation and an iconic opener that's been here for two years now.

Milly79

Was dicking around with the Elder Scrolls beta this weekend and I was actually having fun with it--any of you planning on playing that at launch? I like the game but the $60 price tag +$15 a month is making me apprehensive, would be fun to roll around with some of the TOR oldies though.

images%2Farticle%2F2013%2F06%2F18%2Ftumblr_ls437uktEJ1r0ze3to1_500.gif

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Haha hey man the initial quests were pretty fun and the idea of 3 faction PvP really appeals to me, I know all the old school MMO dark age of camelot hipsters would rage all day about how superior the 3 faction system is versus just two.

I really wanted to try the out the PvP in the game myself, but I realized I just don't have enough time to play through level 10-15 and then jump into the PvP.

There was a cantina tour stop tonight, the new content sounds pretty cool, especially the new huttball map.

http://dulfy.net/2014/03/01/swtor-atlanta-cantina-tour-flash-drive-contents/

swtor-atlanta-fan-flash-drive-contents.jpg

April update sounds great, much better than this last one. The flashpoint descriptions though make me think they will be 2 more tactical flashpoints perhaps like Kuat? Since it talks of attacking and defending as if players will be doing both roles?

I like the tactical flashpoint idea, but they need to keep endgame play in mine with proper rewards, there should have been HM versions of these for better rewards.

*edit: yea images on Dulfy seem to indicate both sides can do the same flashpoint, so good chance its more tactical flashpoint. Someone commented that datamining shows HM versions will be available though

Sorian

Banned
April update sounds great, much better than this last one. The flashpoint descriptions though make me think they will be 2 more tactical flashpoints perhaps like Kuat? Since it talks of attacking and defending as if players will be doing both roles?

I like the tactical flashpoint idea, but they need to keep endgame play in mine with proper rewards, there should have been HM versions of these for better rewards.

*edit: yea images on Dulfy seem to indicate both sides can do the same flashpoint, so good chance its more tactical flashpoint. Someone commented that datamining shows HM versions will be available though

I always thought that a pve/pvp flashpoint would be a good idea. If a lot of people were queing from both sides then you could get that fresh pvp experience, if not then it could just implement computers as the other "group." Early on in the flashpoint, there would be something objective based that the two groups would compete on (doesn't even need to be direct combat) and the winner would move on to the positive track of the flashpoint while the loser would move on to the negative track of the flashpoint (successful defense/driving off attackers vs. having to make a hasty retreat back through enemy lines that had cut you off) would have provided good replayability, nice little story touches since there would be two possible scenarios you could get, and it would add an uninvasive pvp element. These flashpoints sounded like the perfect place to implement this but I know its a road they won't go down.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I don't hate it and I was looking for an MMO that I can play with my girlfriend and she loved it so we were going to get it but I managed to convince her to try the Wildstar beta and she ended up liking it more than ESO so we're playing that together instead.

I didn't find it as terrible as gaming side would tell you but I don't think it's worth $15 a month. I still haven't tried out Cyrodiil PvP.

ESO frankly in the two betas I've done was probably one of the worst feeling "big" MMO releases I've played. I don't see anything to like about it, hated it both times I tried it, and that combat system is hideous, can't imagine playing pvp with that.

I'm waiting on Wildstar as my next MMO, though I'm in the ongoing beta for it, I was disappointed with it as I expected more. I still have hope that the later content and finished product still turns out awesome, but it's at least far more interesting than ESO.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I know the feeling.

Anyways!

Thats impressive but a 20 Imp Agent? Thats just blasphemy.

i can really now appreciate the IA story even more now that i have reached 50 on my Sith Warrior. Although the story was decent it has nowhere the amount of choice and variation that the IA storyline offers. At the end of each chapter there are choices to make that vary greatly in how things play out. There was nothing like that at all in the Warrior story and, from what i read, no other class does either.

edit:

So i got my Juggernaut to 50 and decided to make some alts for storage. i auction everything. Everything. Until it sells. i dont care if i have to relist ten times before, the speed in which items can be thrown up on GTN make the little effort worth the huge extra money.

The problem i have with alts is that i have not formulated the most ideal setup and layout of each.. mostly in terms of crafting. Biochem is so useful that i find myself wishing i could take it on everyone but thats a no go. i need to clear my whiteboard to figure out the most optimal setup but i cbf atm.

Anyway.. i made a Bounty Hunter Merc. i wanted something that could heal but the majority of advice for BH advanced classes had me worried. i just got done playing a Tank/DPS class and wanted a different eel but its near unanimous from what ive read that Merc is severely lacking PVP. After getting my Merc to 10 i can say that my fears were completely unfounded. When i played PVP on my Juggernaut, not only did i die faster than anything but my damage completely lackluster. The one thing i had was decent utility where i could move around the battlefield well but it didnt matter because i would almost instantly get owned and i never once felt like i contributed anything to any match ever (i should add that at 45/46 when you can finally get Shatter in the Vengeance tree, then the class feels like it comes into its own and PVP might be diff now but after dozens of complete failures im sick of PVP with my SW).

So as a Merc i queue up into PVP and i can instantly see a difference. i dont feel any less squishy than my SW but i can hold my own and have been able to for about 20 matches. The difference is night and day and more reminiscient of my time as an Operative.

Now i just need to get to 20 so i can unlock that second storage bay.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
ESO frankly in the two betas I've done was probably one of the worst feeling "big" MMO releases I've played. I don't see anything to like about it, hated it both times I tried it, and that combat system is hideous, can't imagine playing pvp with that.

I'm waiting on Wildstar as my next MMO, though I'm in the ongoing beta for it, I was disappointed with it as I expected more. I still have hope that the later content and finished product still turns out awesome, but it's at least far more interesting than ESO.

Heh I'm the complete opposite, I hated pretty much everything about Wildstar (can't stand the artstyle, reminds me too much of TF2). I enjoyed what I played of ESO questing/pve and I've been watching some PvP videos and it reminds me of GW2 WvW but improved (which is great in my book, the only good thing about GW2 was WvW pvp).The deep crafting and class customization systems also piqued my interest, both pretty refreshing as far as MMOs go.

Heysoos

ugh. Why are people so fucking stupid? I don't get it. You go get the pylon and you fucking leave the node alone? At least have some fucking decency and tell us you're not going to guard you fucking asshole. I fucking hate Republic players sometimes. I should get my imp to 55 to farm these fucktards.

Milly79

ugh. Why are people so fucking stupid? I don't get it. You go get the pylon and you fucking leave the node alone? At least have some fucking decency and tell us you're not going to guard you fucking asshole. I fucking hate Republic players sometimes. I should get my imp to 55 to farm these fucktards.

Rage, nerd. :)

kmz

Neo Member

Ha, I was healing on my scoundrel the other day and the team just _refused_ to guard the pylon. That included a shadow and DPS scoundrel. This was after repeated calls for somebody to guard, but every time 4 or 5 people would rush to the pylon, cap, and then everybody would leave. We somehow still won the match, probably because the Imps refused to even poke at our pylon until it was too late. (And even then they almost pulled off a tunnel cap.)

Heysoos

Rage, nerd. :)

I went full on Sifumaster on some pug team earlier, because they kept giving leaps to a freaking Jugg and they would fill his resolve away in the dumbest areas. Some PVEr said to chill out, it's just PVP. So I left the match. Next match was PubVPub. He was on the other team. I went full on petty mode and focused the shit out of him until he quit and sent me a message saying I was a dick.

Alur

I went full on Sifumaster on some pug team earlier, because they kept giving leaps to a freaking Jugg and they would fill his resolve away in the dumbest areas. Some PVEr said to chill out, it's just PVP. So I left the match. Next match was PubVPub. He was on the other team. I went full on petty mode and focused the shit out of him until he quit and sent me a message saying I was a dick.

Yes yes yes. Let the hate flow through you.

I haven't played on either server since the last night I played with you. The JC PVP is super bad on pub side now, and the imp side has a lot of imp vs imp at this point so it's a crap shoot as to whether I get on the team with the premade or the pug group.

I also haven't seen Milly on BC yet. I think he's a mythical ghost there. And wow is the PVP different. The average level of skill seems to be a bit lower (a lot more average dudes, much fewer top level skill players) and I have only seen one dude rage since I've been there. It's in a weird spot for me because the folks are so nonchalant about everything it's like we are playing in slow motion.

Milly79

I'm there and I'm not. Friday and Saturday were the first time I've had been on in two weeks. Was playing the FF14 beta on ps4.

I have like a month left, and am probably done for good after that. Just isn't the same anymore, and FF is looking great to play on a couch. :D

Heysoos

I'm there and I'm not. Friday and Saturday were the first time I've had been on in two weeks. Was playing the FF14 beta on ps4.

I have like a month left, and am probably done for good after that. Just isn't the same anymore, and FF is looking great to play on a couch. :D
Don't make me go smash you with my paladin

StudioTan

Just did Attack on Korriban on the PTS. Definitely the best tactical flashpoint yet and the story is definitely setting up for bigger things.

Just did Attack on Korriban on the PTS. Definitely the best tactical flashpoint yet and the story is definitely setting up for bigger things.

Are these proper HM style FP's with HM type of rewards, or more basic coms crap? It's a tactical FP, but only for lvl 55s?

They really need to form some consistency with the concept of tactical flashpoints, they keep doing them differently.

StudioTan

Are these proper HM style FP's with HM type of rewards, or more basic coms crap? It's a tactical FP, but only for lvl 55s?

They really need to form some consistency with the concept of tactical flashpoints, they keep doing them differently.

Basic comms and I got a 162 blaster as drop from the last boss. I think there might be HM versions coming but I'm not sure. You get Elite comms from the quests. The fight mechanics are more fun though and as I said the story seems to be gearing up for something big so it'll likely spill over into new Ops. They said the story will go through the entire year so that makes sense.

The new huttball map is awesome. I did 4v4, don't know if it's always that.

Basic comms and I got a 162 blaster as drop from the last boss. I think there might be HM versions coming but I'm not sure. You get Elite comms from the quests. The fight mechanics are more fun though and as I said the story seems to be gearing up for something big so it'll likely spill over into new Ops. They said the story will go through the entire year so that makes sense.

The new huttball map is awesome. I did 4v4, don't know if it's always that.

Be sad if they waste most of the story in the Ops, since usually don't get a chance to play through them. That's why I liked the games original approach of having the main game story in the single player and flashpoints, made it accessible, while the ops were essentially side story type of deals.

The two new flashpoints are tactical like Kuat in that both sides can do the same one?

StudioTan

Be sad if they waste most of the story in the Ops, since usually don't get a chance to play through them. That's why I liked the games original approach of having the main game story in the single player and flashpoints, made it accessible, while the ops were essentially side story type of deals.

The two new flashpoints are tactical like Kuat in that both sides can do the same one?

I'm about to do the Tython one but I don't think so. It seems like as a pub you attack Korriban and defend Tython and vice versa.

Alur

One of them isn't worth it.
Hint:
SWTOR

I could've sworn like two pages back we extolled the lack of virtues in FFXIV endgame and you were glad you hadn't attempted it. What changed? Speaking of which, does that mean FFXIV is endgame viable on PS4? It wasn't so much on the PS3 version. Then again, I suppose the biggest impediment was the controller and some classes are more controller friendly than others.

As for SWTOR, much like any MMO, they are only as good as the people you play with. Unfortunately most of mine have quit again, log in infrequently or randomly (here's looking at you Heysoos and Rex), or gave up on the PVP to go full on raiding on multiple characters. So for now, I guess my account is just idling. I'm sure I'll be back at it sooner or later.

Milly79

I could've sworn like two pages back we extolled the lack of virtues in FFXIV endgame and you were glad you hadn't attempted it. What changed? Speaking of which, does that mean FFXIV is endgame viable on PS4? It wasn't so much on the PS3 version. Then again, I suppose the biggest impediment was the controller and some classes are more controller friendly than others.

As for SWTOR, much like any MMO, they are only as good as the people you play with. Unfortunately most of mine have quit again, log in infrequently or randomly (here's looking at you Heysoos and Rex), or gave up on the PVP to go full on raiding on multiple characters. So for now, I guess my account is just idling. I'm sure I'll be back at it sooner or later.

I think they're changing or adding more soon. The combat, art style and world is amazing to me. The story is meh, but I really don't play mmos for that. Would rather just play a sp rpg.

There's nothing wrong with swtor, honestly. I just think I've outgrown it. PvP is so boring, even ranked. As the top team runs 3 awes and a flashbang. Such a fucking cheese comp.

Sorian

Banned
I think they're changing or adding more soon. The combat, art style and world is amazing to me. The story is meh, but I really don't play mmos for that. Would rather just play a sp rpg.

There's nothing wrong with swtor, honestly. I just think I've outgrown it. PvP is so boring, even ranked. As the top team runs 3 awes and a flashbang. Such a fucking cheese comp.

You seem to like PvP, you know FFXIV's PvP is straight ass right?

Sorian

Banned
I like it because I grew tired of swtors pve. It's not make or break for me, but I appreciate the warning.

No worries, just figured you ought to know, I still sub SWTOR with FFXIV so I obviously enjoy both but you'd be hard-pressed to find many pros with XIV's pvp.

Heysoos

I've been on like nonstop lately and haven't seen you!

StudioTan

I couldn't get past the first month with FFXIV. Everyone goes on about the art style but I really hate the textures, the whole thing has a grainy quality that I don't like at all. I didn't find anything special about the quests at all, it was pretty boring honestly.

Wildstar is pretty cool, lots to do and explore which I love. I'll still be keeping my SWTOR sub though, I'll be playing WS with my significant other.

Heysoos

I couldn't get past the first month with FFXIV. Everyone goes on about the art style but I really hate the textures, the whole thing has a grainy quality that I don't like at all. I didn't find anything special about the quests at all, it was pretty boring honestly.

Wildstar is pretty cool, lots to do and explore which I love. I'll still be keeping my SWTOR sub though, I'll be playing WS with my significant other.

Yeah I left after month 1 too. I actually liked the art style, much prettier game than SWTOR, and far better optimized to boot. But yeah, I found everything else pretty meh. Also, I know some people enjoy this, but crafting felt more like a job where you had to sink an extensive amount of hours, rather than a supplement to your character. Wasn't for me. Plus FATE grinding killed me, even though some of the huge ones like the dragon one were cool, albeit extremely chaotic.

Alur

Anybody playing Wildstar this weekend?

I'll be honest. I'm in the beta and have been for a while now. I might have played it on 7 total days in that time frame which is sad. I was so hyped up for it, but right as I got in everyone came back to SWTOR and pulled me away. Couple that with my ill-advised
choice of Medic for a class
and I've just never rolled back around to it.

I didn't get too far, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere of it all. I plan on buying it and hope to get back to playing the beta. Just haven't had the urge to log it in in the past month or more. Did you get a weekend key or are you in the beta full time?

UltraMav

Weekend key, I played during the stress test a few weeks ago, too. Got to level 10 with a spellslinger. I enjoyed the combat but found the UI cumbersome and the questing abysmal. I think SWTOR spoiled me forever on questing, but I'll have some friends joining me this weekend so I'm hoping group-questing will give the experience a shot in the arm. My purchase depends on it.

Top Bottom