• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

The Jedi Knight class is really fun to play as, and I'm warming up to the overall tale. Pure light-side Jedi sucks though, I'm having a blast with him being morally grey (he has to be flirty as hell, screw no emotions!).

My first character was pure light side Guardian, so it's a wonder I was able to get hooked on the game in the first place. They story for the Jedi Knight is super formulaic to start out, so I should have gone more dark side like half-way through. Thankfully, it REALLY picks up at the end, and I felt somewhat good about being pure light side.

Moff

I just hope any major story stuff is not tied into raids, like them keeping it single player and FP content so it's accessible to all. I still kinda meh that I missed part of the Dread master story stuff since I could never get into raids for the last few ops.

really? I always thought its extremely easy to get into ops.
revan needs to be an epic raid boss, there is no way around it.

Necrovex

Pure lightside jedi and consular are the most boring you can play the game as, it's essentially you being super goody good boring Jedi you see in the prequels. So yea mixing it up is good.

I'd hate myself so much if I was a pure light side jedi. I knew instantly how dull it would be if I didn't become morally ambiguous. I'm going to make him similar to my imperial agent, a dude with a good heart but a cocky, flirty motherfucker.

My first character was pure light side Guardian, so it's a wonder I was able to get hooked on the game in the first place. They story for the Jedi Knight is super formulaic to start out, so I should have gone more dark side like half-way through. Thankfully, it REALLY picks up at the end, and I felt somewhat good about being pure light side.

I am excited to see how the jedi knight pans out. I remember how fulfilling it felt when my (almost) pure light side IA reached his class conclusion.

I'm planning to go through the flashpoints this time. When I got to 50 with my IA, I realized I skipped almost all the dungeons. I have to fix it this time.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The Jedi Knight class is really fun to play as, and I'm warming up to the overall tale. Pure light-side Jedi sucks though, I'm having a blast with him being morally grey (he has to be flirty as hell, screw no emotions!).

Knight was the second class I played after smuggler and I had a hard time playing him as grey because of the voicework. With the smuggler I could pick smart ass answers and be a bit of a dick sometimes but it seemed natural and fit in fine with the nicer or more noble answers, because it came across as him just being a scoundrel but knowing when to take things seriously and "do the right thing". With the Knight I found the swings too extreme and I was either nice or a complete asshole. I eventually just went all light with him.

On my female counselor I don't have any issues with generally being good but if I pick a "bad" answer she just comes across as a bit hotheaded and cocky sometimes yet it doesn't make her seem bi-polar.

Anyone ever do a tactical flashpoint with a DPS Jugg that wasn't an asshole? I'm not kidding, every time I get into a tactical flashpoint with a DPS Jugg, they ALWAYS rush enemies and bosses when people aren't ready. So many times I've seen people locked out of boss arenas because the DPS jugg just doesn't give a fuck.

Also, on a related note: Why do I always see juggs without shields? Is there a benefit to not having an off-hand item?

Syf

Banned
I was actually locked out of fights twice yesterday because of DPS juggs rushing the bosses. They do seem to be assholes a lot of the time.

Anyone ever do a tactical flashpoint with a DPS Jugg that wasn't an asshole? I'm not kidding, every time I get into a tactical flashpoint with a DPS Jugg, they ALWAYS rush enemies and bosses when people aren't ready. So many times I've seen people locked out of boss arenas because the DPS jugg just doesn't give a fuck.

Also, on a related note: Why do I always see juggs without shields? Is there a benefit to not having an off-hand item?
I have been guilty of this sometimes. Though it's an accident.

I just get the feeling of being invincible.

HariKari

Odd question time: What would an unopened collectors edition be worth? Any ideas? I have one just sitting here from launch in the shipping box it came in. Not redeemed, still wrapped, everything presumably there. Had an order that was slated to be canceled with another retailer actually go through and I never bothered to return the extra.

Alur

Odd question time: What would an unopened collectors edition be worth? Any ideas? I have one just sitting here from launch in the shipping box it came in. Not redeemed, still wrapped, everything presumably there. Had an order that was slated to be canceled with another retailer actually go through and I never bothered to return the extra.

A good while back I bought one on eBay (along with a bunch of other people here on GAF getting one) for $60ish bucks as I recall.

They were going in the $40-70 range because folks were clearing em out and the game had rightly or wrongly received so much vitriol from the interwebs. As I said above, most of the hardcore folks picked one up in that because of the in-game perks.

A quick look at eBay shows the price might be nearer $100 or more now if it's mint. Not sure if you could get that, but worth a try if it's sitting around collecting dust!

Ran SnV with my guild today. Between the weekly, the GF bonus, and the quest itself, I had a huge payout of ultimate comms, and will be able to replace my 162 pants after my rHM tomorrow.

Kinda bummed me out that I didn't get a whole lot of goodies from it. Only got some banner. Guess I can't complain too much though, since any loot that dropped was 162, so I would have just sold it anyway.

What's next in the Ops GF cycle? Is it Dread Fortress? I really want to do that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ran SnV with my guild today. Between the weekly, the GF bonus, and the quest itself, I had a huge payout of ultimate comms, and will be able to replace my 162 pants after my rHM tomorrow.

Kinda bummed me out that I didn't get a whole lot of goodies from it. Only got some banner. Guess I can't complain too much though, since any loot that dropped was 162, so I would have just sold it anyway.

What's next in the Ops GF cycle? Is it Dread Fortress? I really want to do that.

Yeah, Dread Fortress and Dread Palace. Both are a lot of fun.

Abloobloobloo. :(

swtor-2014-09-13-22-0z9j4p.png

I'm all capped on both elite and ultimate comms. I can't even turn in the DF quest I did until next week.

On the plus side, I got this before I ran DF.
swtor-2014-09-13-18-5ltkc2.jpg

Also, whoever said Draxxus was the hardest boss on DF was full of shit. Brontes beat our ass like 6 times. Draxxus only wiped us once.

And is that somewhere on the fleet? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Not stupid at all!

On the fleet, there's an area where crew skill venders are. If you're on sub, you learn 3 crew skills (usually one crafting and two gathering). When you pick your crafting skill, in the codex entry for it you can see which gathering skills are best suited for it. Something like Armstech requires scavenging for your common materials, and Investigation for your rarer materials.

For whatever crafting skill you pick, I recommend having one character with Slicing. Slicing is really nice for post-game, since it gives you materials to craft augments. It's also not a bad way to make a little money, since you get lockboxes with credits in them!

Oh, and to bring up your crafting and gathering menu press "N" key. From there you can send companions to craft or gather resources.

Oh, also, this took me waaay to long to figure out: You can reverse engineer items you make to get some of your materials back, and it also gives you a chance to unlock rarer schematics for a similar item. Breaking down a green rarity item gives you a chance to make a better, blue rarity item, and breaking down a blue rarity item give you a chance to make an even better purple rarity item. They'll have the same level requirements, but be much better!

You can also sell them in the GTN if you have extra. Sometimes when crafting you have a chance of being critically successful, and making two items for the price of one. You can increase this chance by using a character that says they have "critical +(X)" in a given skill, or just by having higher affection with them. The difficulty also plays a role in increasing critical (green and gray tagged difficulty has higher crit chance than yellow or orange).

Oh, also, this took me waaay to long to figure out: You can reverse engineer items you make to get some of your materials back, and it also gives you a chance to unlock rarer schematics for a similar item. Breaking down a green rarity item gives you a chance to make a better, blue rarity item, and breaking down a blue rarity item give you a chance to make an even better purple rarity item. They'll have the same level requirements, but be much better!

You can also sell them in the GTN if you have extra. Sometimes when crafting you have a chance of being critically successful, and making two items for the price of one. You can increase this chance by using a character that says they have "critical +(X)" in a given skill, or just by having higher affection with them. The difficulty also plays a role in increasing critical (green and gray tagged difficulty has higher crit chance than yellow or orange).

Consumables and such when you crit craft will create two of them. If you crit when making actual gear, it usually will just add a free augmentation slot to the item.

Awesome. Just to make sure you do the actual crafting on the Fleet right?

Crafting is a crew skill, it's done by your companions so you can do it anywhere. Essentially you have your companions do the task for you and while they do that, you can't summon that companion to your side for combat . More companions you get, more you can have them each doing, and you also increase the amount of tasks you can send them out to do at a time.

Consumables and such when you crit craft will create two of them. If you crit when making actual gear, it usually will just add a free augmentation slot to the item.

Whoops, forgot to make the distinction. Item mods and consumable will double, equipment will augment when you crit.

Awesome. Just to make sure you do the actual crafting on the Fleet right?

Nah, you can do it anywhere, it just sends your companion away so you can't use them in combat for some time. Early in your skills it'll only be a few minutes, later on it will be an hour or longer. Though, by then you have more companions, so it's not a big deal.

StudioTan

Looks like we're finally getting a teaser of the expansion tomorrow morning.

Varna

I played this game during release and although I thought it was decent I just didn't want to keep subbing.

Don't know why but it's really clicking with me this time. Maybe playing a few other MMOs since as given me some perspective. I choose Sith Assassin this time and I really love their skill set. Really cool take on Rogue'ish/class-cannon class.

I had forgotten you could gather/craft without ever having to stop playing. This is a really underrated feature. Pretty much takes away the most annoying part of typical mmo crafting.

Any folks on Harbinger have a guild that is recruiting?

Yay, tonight weeklies reset. This week I maxed on ultimate comms, elite comms, CZ rep, Makeb rep, Oricon rep, and Section X rep. I actually blew past elite comms probably 3 days ago, so I had to forgo probably 40 comms. :(

I played this game during release and although I thought it was decent I just didn't want to keep subbing.

Don't know why but it's really clicking with me this time. Maybe playing a few other MMOs since as given me some perspective. I choose Sith Assassin this time and I really love their skill set. Really cool take on Rogue'ish/class-cannon class.

I had forgotten you could gather/craft without ever having to stop playing. This is a really underrated feature. Pretty much takes away the most annoying part of typical mmo crafting.

LOVE Assassin. It's kind of neat that they make great tanks as well as great DPS. They're particularly interesting in tactical flashpoints, because you find yourself acting as tank even when spec'd as DPS, but you're able to function fairly well. (So long as you have the talent that increases your armor rating while Dark Charge is active)

Though, once you get your gear and talents all set up correctly for ops and stuff, it stops being viable. Still, no reason to not do it early on!

The thing is, once we put on different goggles and see SWTOR for what it is, a CO-OP Online RPG, that is free 2 play, the game is much better. As a MMORPG it has its faults, but as a combo, a multiplayer KOTOR and in light of its story it's a much much better game. It's all about perspective.

StudioTan

The thing is, once we put on different goggles and see SWTOR for what it is, a CO-OP Online RPG, that is free 2 play, the game is much better. As a MMORPG it has its faults, but as a combo, a multiplayer KOTOR and in light of its story it's a much much better game. It's all about perspective.

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with your there. This is as much an MMO and any other MMO I've played. I do as much stuff with my guild at end game as I've even done in any MMO. PVP, raids, dungeons, crafting, now housing and all the conquest stuff plus just hanging out. Seems like an MMO to me.

The teaser for 3.0... Don't get too excited as its a blink and you miss it. At least Bioware promised more info end of month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuTvlewO-3A

Even for a teaser that was short. The only thing I got out of it was that the art assets used for the environment were mostly unique :p

StudioTan

Is the conquest stuff for people at 55 or can I as a level 16 doing anything to help the guild?

Some stuff you won't be able to do because it'll be on higher level planets or something like doing an Operation but crafting and PVP objectives can be done at 16 as well as some of the flashpoint objectives.

I hope with the expansion they take their other systems they have put in and expand on them to keep them fresh. Like for example update and continue the seeker droid and macrobinocular stuff, new bounty stuff for bounty hunt weeks, etc. Perhaps we will have new game play systems also added, but hope they dont just abandon what already went in.

rallaren

Been doing 2½ (16-18) lvls since yesterday and it's going pretty slow. Balmorra I think I'm on... Not sure if worth continuing.

Moff

yeah I remember that, balmorra was really bad after korriban and dromund kaas.
blamorra ist probaly the worst planet and korriban and dromund kaas are the best in my opinion. it will get better again.

rallaren

Yeah the quests feels too hard and generic. I'm also pretty lost on most things. I'm just doing quests, die, and hope for upgrades.

Moff

are you at least the same level as your enemies?

you should also choose the right companion, depending on your class and role.

and its very important to buy him some blues on the GTN, you should get them cheap and a decent equipped companion will make a huge difference.

rallaren

are you at least the same level as your enemies?

you should also choose the right companion, depending on your class and role.

and its very important to buy him some blues on the GTN, you should get them cheap and a decent equipped companion will make a huge difference.
Alright, sounds correct becuase he/it heals very little.

Planetary Comm mods are the way to go. Chest/Leg/Head adaptive pieces can be a little expensive on the GTN, but belts, boots, gloves, and bracers are dirt cheap, and won't make your character look too hideous since they're small. :p

Grab some adaptive gear, then put the appropriate mods on, and you can get your character reasonably decked out.

Also, a tip for extra levels: go onto the Fleet, go to the Priority Missions terminal, and pick up the daily and the weekly. Queue up for a flashpoint via the group finder, and you'll get a fat stack of planetary comms, as well.

By the way: what server are you on? If you're on Harbinger, I can help you out if needed. I got a level 18 Marauder I've been playing lately.

rallaren

Thanks but I'm on a euro server.

Edit: nevermind I remember.

Buying from the trade market wasn't so bad but still pretty expensive.

un5S5lE.jpg

New gear! Wish I had chosen the biggest body though.

This game looks good:

cIs8N4X.jpg

czNTyZI.jpg

I always like getting revealing gear. Only problem with that is it tends to be more expensive.

These pants in particular are really something.
swtor-2014-09-20-03-140sha.jpg

If you wore them on a dude, I wonder if their junk would hang out...

rallaren

I always like getting revealing gear. Only problem with that is it tends to be more expensive.

http://abload.de/img/swtor-2014-09-20-03-140sha.jpg[img]

If you wore them on a dude, I wonder if their junk would hang out...[/QUOTE]
Not bad. The jacket aswell.

Edit: Lvl 20 now and only an ability upgrade?

Have you tried Scarlet Blade?

Heysoos

swtor-2014-09-20-03-140sha.jpg

If you wore them on a dude, I wonder if their junk would hang out...

haha I bought a similar armor on my commando and didn't realize it was this type of armor because skin tone and armor color somewhat matched, boy when I realized what I was wearing I felt dumb. This armor does not go well with a body type 3 male trooper

Top Bottom