• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Heysoos

Pub PVP looks to be on the verge of making a comeback Heysoos. The PM's and LD50's of the world left for greener pastures. It's pretty much dead even for the last four days, winner going to whoever has the premade as it should. That means...

Bvfq04M.gif

I'm on.

What's your char name? So I can message when I go online.

I'll be on like 30 minutes

Lucifon

Does GAF have any EU server presence? Considering jumping back into this... not played since launch.

Not sure what I want to play though, imp agent is meant to be the best story but I got up to level 30ish on that so I'd rather go with something different. Considering smuggler or jedi knight, any GAF opinions on their stories?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The problem with 12xp is that you move so damn fast that you get flooded with skills and after 8 hours you're a level 26 scoundrel and you have no friggin idea how to play your class, what skills to use and what talents to spec. You just end up fumbling through all the combat.

So lost.

Just gotta read my man. Sit down for 15 or so minutes, highlight each skill individually to get a sense of the damage and the synergy. X skill might generate resource, whereas Y skill spends resource. Then the talents are pretty self explanatory, they'll read something like "X skill has a 20% chance to reset the CD of Y skill." So let's say your 25 with this hypothetical class, now you jump in with your mobility A skill, expend some resource with Y, generate with X, and hey X just procced and reset Y, so hit that Y again. Welp everything is on cooldown, so let me use filler ability Z that just does damage.

Everything is pretty clear once you spend a bit of time just reading through it, most classes boil down to the simple mechanics above with a few variations here and there (i.e. a dot to keep up).

Heysoos

Does GAF have any EU server presence? Considering jumping back into this... not played since launch.

Not sure what I want to play though, imp agent is meant to be the best story but I got up to level 30ish on that so I'd rather go with something different. Considering smuggler or jedi knight, any GAF opinions on their stories?

Knight is the typical hero of the galaxy story, probably the closest we'll ever get to a KOTOR3. Smuggler I don't remember much of it, if that gives you anything to go by. I don't remember thinking it was bad, but nothing memorable. All personal opinion of course.

Lucifon

Knight is the typical hero of the galaxy story, probably the closest we'll ever get to a KOTOR3. Smuggler I don't remember much of it, if that gives you anything to go by. I don't remember thinking it was bad, but nothing memorable. All personal opinion of course.

Cheers :) gone with knight but taking all the decisions in the way I feel is right to me. Not worrying about dark light points and instead focusing on the decision that I want to make.

Cheers :) gone with knight but taking all the decisions in the way I feel is right to me. Not worrying about dark light points and instead focusing on the decision that I want to make.

Probably best not to worry about light side or dark side points. You'll gain a fair amount in one direction or another, then in post-game once you start doing flashpoints you'll get tons more, as you'll be repeating them a lot.

It's kind of nice to get full light side, though. You get a legacy ability that cuts the damage you take in half for like 15 seconds. Really useful for leveling up alts.

Sorian

Banned
All storylines completed. Sage was my big sticking point for long time but I sat down today with the 12x xp and knocked out belsavis, voss, and correlia all in one sitting.

I haven't gotten any characters to 55 on the 12x yet. I have serious ADD when it comes to this. I always think "Hey, a this other character class would be cool to play".

My marauder is getting close, though. She's level 42, I think.

Arksy

OK so aside from the fact that I have no fucking idea how to play scoundrel, I have the worst gear in the world...I don't think this 12x was made for people coming back after at least a year of absence with no infrastructure or credits. You don't get much gear or credits just doing class quests...and most of my stuff is horridly out of date.

Some AOE would be nice taking out packs of 4 with one elite instead of having to DPS them down one by one and dying in the process due to lacklustre HP.

Edit: I got some good gear and it's sooo much easier now..

The bad news is I blew about 40k credits gearing up, and now I'm broke.

The good news is I've almost hit 50.

Planetary comms and crafting are the best way to get gear. It can be kind of a hassle to queue up for a FP, but it's worth it if you have the daily/weekly. Payout ends up being like 25 comms.

Crafting is nice, too. Even greens of a proper level help immensely. What I like doing is crafting the armor pieces, then buying the enhancements and mods with comms.

Arksy

Planetary comms and crafting are the best way to get gear. It can be kind of a hassle to queue up for a FP, but it's worth it if you have the daily/weekly. Payout ends up being like 25 comms.

Crafting is nice, too. Even greens of a proper level help immensely. What I like doing is crafting the armor pieces, then buying the enhancements and mods with comms.

I picked up crafting, but since you basically go from one class quest to another you really don't get much time to gather before you end up at the next planet. I'm at 20 hours and level 46 now...it's stupidly fast. It's hard to really justify doing a FP when the XP gain is so minuscule compared to class quests.

My next character will be going a bit slower, because I really want to take the time with it. This one I just wanted to learn the story and for the race unlock..have no real intention of playing a scoundrel at endgame.

If you have the infrastructure, that is at least one or two end game heroes with a steady supply of credits and other materials, then this would be absolutely incredible. My next toon will be much smoother sailing I feel.

Lucifon

OK so aside from the fact that I have no fucking idea how to play scoundrel, I have the worst gear in the world...I don't think this 12x was made for people coming back after at least a year of absence with no infrastructure or credits. You don't get much gear or credits just doing class quests...and most of my stuff is horridly out of date.

Some AOE would be nice taking out packs of 4 with one elite instead of having to DPS them down one by one and dying in the process due to lacklustre HP.

Edit: I got some good gear and it's sooo much easier now..

The bad news is I blew about 40k credits gearing up, and now I'm broke.

The good news is I've almost hit 50.

I'm early on but I've also realised about the gear issue - a fair amount seems distributed through side quests so by skipping them all you'll miss not only gear but credits as only xp is boosted.

The way I'm going to level is take side quests as I run past them and do one's which are easily finishable during the story content with little effort.

But I'd like to know what more veteran players think about getting around this?

Arksy

I'm early on but I've also realised about the gear issue - a fair amount seems distributed through side quests so by skipping them all you'll miss not only gear but credits as only xp is boosted.

The way I'm going to level is take side quests as I run past them and do one's which are easily finishable during the story content with little effort.

But I'd like to know what more veteran players think about getting around this?

The corollary is that your companion also gets no gear. You do get SOME credits as you level, so when you start struggling it might be good to blow some credits on gearing up and continuing to plough through the levels. I spent a good 15k on gear going for the cheap stuff at level 25 and 30k each on 32 and 40. I figure the credit gain at endgame will be much better anyway.

Alur

I find myself so far outleveled versus the content that the gear isn't that big of an issue. Once you can go to Makeb at 47 you get the bolster from the GSI support so that even takes care of you on that end too.

If you aren't somewhat familiar via raiding or PVP with what a class does, though, I can see it being a problem without the gear. I do think you could probably get by just buying gear in the 30ish range and maybe an extra weapon upgrade around 45, though.

KePoW

Banned
I find myself so far outleveled versus the content that the gear isn't that big of an issue. Once you can go to Makeb at 47 you get the bolster from the GSI support so that even takes care of you on that end too.

If you aren't somewhat familiar via raiding or PVP with what a class does, though, I can see it being a problem without the gear. I do think you could probably get by just buying gear in the 30ish range and maybe an extra weapon upgrade around 45, though.

Good to know

I just re-subbed to the game and bought the Revan XP. I really like the atmosphere and environments of the questing PVE content.

Does anyone know why GAF collective hates this game's guts??

Ocho

980GTX, i7-377k and SSD... so yeah, no solution then. It's just one of those things that once you notice it becomes hard to ignore again.

I'm on Alderaan for the first time and texture pop in (trees, etc) is so noticeable I'm a little sad. Other planets wasn't so bad.

Moff

Because it isn't called KOTOR 3.

I dont think its only that, many people were genuinely looking forward to the game but were just very disappointed. the game was overhyped, but had a bad reputation since launch. bioware was never able to correct that.

KePoW

Banned
980GTX, i7-377k and SSD... so yeah, no solution then. It's just one of those things that once you notice it becomes hard to ignore again.

hey with the 980, have you tried downsampling this game? let me know how well it works and if there's any UI bugs or anything

LX_Theo

Banned
I dont think its only that, many people were genuinely looking forward to the game but were just very disappointed. the game was overhyped, but had a bad reputation since launch. bioware was never able to correct that.

A bit. It was also much different than the KOTOR series and many who wanted it to be that found a different game entirely. Expectations can do a lot to impressions.

Alur

Does anyone know why GAF collective hates this game's guts??

Because it isn't called KOTOR 3.

Yep. Add their hate for EA plus recent BioWare games and baby you've got a stew goin'.

Double yep.

GAF were all over release, but within a few weeks (as with most games nowadays) the OT turned pretty negative. Then the content drought happened, then everyone left, so more negativity. Then lolz at SWTOR going F2P which actually turned out to be awesome for the game and here we are now.

There's also a general hate towards all MMO's outside of the closed community threads for the particular game. Except for ESO, seems like everyone abandoned that ship.

Alur

Poor ESO. I had fun playing it til I hit the vet ranks, but it was even more destined to fail in the eyes of GAF than this by not being a single player title.

One need only look at the vitriol Destiny stirs up to find out what GAF thinks of any kind of MMO, even one with a completely different style of combat.

KePoW

Banned
I actually loved ESO... for the same exact reasons I loved SWTOR. The story quests and voice acting. ESO was actually pretty good in that regard.

I beat my marauder's story. I really liked it. The character herself might have been a little too edgy for my tastes, but the overall story was cool. Seems like a really hard class to play, though. Even when I was geared properly (which was rare) I'd still get my ass kicked pretty good.

Arksy

There's also a general hate towards all MMO's outside of the closed community threads for the particular game. Except for ESO, seems like everyone abandoned that ship.

Actually ESO has a really healthy subscriber base.

Finished my Scoundrel...time to move on to Sniper or Powertech!

Alur

I actually loved ESO... for the same exact reasons I loved SWTOR. The story quests and voice acting. ESO was actually pretty good in that regard.

I played it like crazy in the beginning. Had a guy at VR1 and 38. Chased after those vampire and werewolf bites in the first week or two before everyone had em and stuff. It was fun. I just couldn't get behind leveling in the other factions zones instead of leveling my alts there so it kinda killed it for me.

You are right though. A lot of what I loved about early SWTOR was there in ESO. I also thought it looked great compared to what I expected, but apparently not everyone was of the same opinion.

Syf

Banned
I didn't even know there were other imps still. I'm on harbinger though so I'm segregated anyway.
I think there's a handful of us on harbinger tbh. I'm on harbinger imperial side.

Well, toons on both sides but primary imperial.

Fedemgsuy

Man, i love the fuck out of this game, tried it on launch, and never again until a couple of weeks ago, and now i cant stop playing.
The haters dont know what they are missing.

Syf

Banned
Man, i love the fuck out of this game, tried it on launch, and never again until a couple of weeks ago, and now i cant stop playing.
The haters dont know what they are missing.
I was the same way man. Bought the CE on release and quit about a month after release. These days it's my favorite MMO.

Alur

What side has a healthier gaf population? Republic or empire?

Pub for sure. There's like 3 of us imp side.

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but to be fair I think the majority of the GAF guild (at least the regulars) on Republic side isn't actually GAF anymore. There's a few of us in there, but the majority who are from the forum don't play a lot or have quit. It's more like a guild that happens to have a few GAF people in it and carries our name.

And yeah, there's me Milly and one other from the original Empire GAF left on imp side that I'm aware of.

Noctix

Hi all, so I bought this game at launch from amazon because it wasn't out in australia played for a few hours and I was done with it. Recently saw this thread so decided to give this another. I rolled a Sith Warrior. So far loving it. I am level 12 now. I did my first dungeon and the only gripe was the cutscenes were way too long ... Story was/is solid though. I have a question regarding how the roles work. I was under the impression that this is straight forward holy trinity with tank - dps - healer. But when I first queued there were like 3 tanks and 1 healers. Is it common or is it like everyone can do everything like GW2.

Syf

Banned
Yeah, as much as the game is better now, F2P implementation is still awful imo. I wouldn't play this game if I wasn't a subscriber.

Beepos

Game really is legit good. I feel bad that it lost so many subs because while it plays like WoW it is still a great alternative thanks to the story missions and sci-fi setting.

Anyone know of a source that highlights which is the most heavily populated server(s) in the US?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Hi all, so I bought this game at launch from amazon because it wasn't out in australia played for a few hours and I was done with it. Recently saw this thread so decided to give this another. I rolled a Sith Warrior. So far loving it. I am level 12 now. I did my first dungeon and the only gripe was the cutscenes were way too long ... Story was/is solid though. I have a question regarding how the roles work. I was under the impression that this is straight forward holy trinity with tank - dps - healer. But when I first queued there were like 3 tanks and 1 healers. Is it common or is it like everyone can do everything like GW2.

Did you do a tactical flashpoint? Those are designed for any 4 classes.

Game really is legit good. I feel bad that it lost so many subs because while it plays like WoW it is still a great alternative thanks to the story missions and sci-fi setting.

Anyone know of a source that highlights which is the most heavily populated server(s) in the US?

http://www.torstatus.net/

Did you do a tactical flashpoint? Those are designed for any 4 classes.
They changed Esseles and Black Talon to be role neutral a while back.

To answer their question though, yes this game is still holy trinity based. All tactical flashpoints and both flashpoints I stated above will be role neutral. The rest will be your typical holy trinity setup.
Does the F2P still suck in this game? I played the beta for a bit but that's about it. New Star Wars show is making me want to play...
The same restrictions apply. You can buy unlocks off the Galactic Trade Network to make it not suck as much (like I did) but unless you play a lot it might be a pain to do what I did. I really suggest dropping some cash into this to get at least Preferred status. The optimal way is to, of course, subscribe for a month.

Top Bottom