• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

I thought subs paid $5 or $10 for ROTHC pre-order, but I may be wrong on that...I am fairly certain we had to pay something otherwise it wouldn't have been a "pre-order".

EDIT: Yeah I found it. From the help FAQ:

This Digital Expansion is available for the following pre-order prices:

$9.99 for all active subscribers.

$19.99 for all Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players.

If you pre-order the Digital Expansion by January 7, 2013 11:59PM CT // 5:59AM GMT, your account will be immediately granted with five (5) days Early Access prior to the Digital Expansion release date.

This 12X EXP boost isn't getting enough love, IMO. You can basically level off of two class quest turn ins at any level, and get a boatload off any of the mission quests on Makeb. Folks in fleet are saying they leveled to 30ish in a matter of 4-5 hours. That is awesome. I always wanted a sniper...and a powertech...and a....

Here's the Dulfy writeup on 12x EXP.

This really is a big deal. I always wanted to see all the stories.

Milly79

I thought subs paid $5 or $10 for ROTHC pre-order, but I may be wrong on that...I am fairly certain we had to pay something otherwise it wouldn't have been a "pre-order".

EDIT: Yeah I found it. From the help FAQ:

This Digital Expansion is available for the following pre-order prices:

$9.99 for all active subscribers.

$19.99 for all Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players.

If you pre-order the Digital Expansion by January 7, 2013 11:59PM CT // 5:59AM GMT, your account will be immediately granted with five (5) days Early Access prior to the Digital Expansion release date.

This 12X EXP boost isn't getting enough love, IMO. You can basically level off of two class quest turn ins at any level, and get a boatload off any of the mission quests on Makeb. Folks in fleet are saying they leveled to 30ish in a matter of 4-5 hours. That is awesome. I always wanted a sniper...and a powertech...and a....

Here's the Dulfy writeup on 12x EXP.

You're a healer, nothing else.

The biggest worry I have is people leveling that fast, then hopping into pvp. There's enough bads already, and this game is pretty easy as it is. You really don't learn that much at all leveling that quick.

It's interesting how SWTOR is pretty much the only outlet that is continuing to produce new story content in the previous "Legends" EU while supposedly everyone else has stopped for the new continuity.

The biggest worry I have is people leveling that fast, then hopping into pvp. There's enough bads already, and this game is pretty easy as it is. You really don't learn that much at all leveling that quick.

Being that the buff is for subscribers, believe majority taking advantage of it are already going to be vets to the game.

Alur

Someone should make a thread over in gaming for the expansion.

I just don't have it in me anymore.

Not worth the time, breh.

Indeed. We'll just get lulz and "Didn't they shut that game down?" and "what a terrible MMO" and other great opinions. I don't think any of us have it in us.

We are the hipsters of the MMO community at this point.

It doesn't have to be that way forever! Unfortunately, knowing what a difference a good healer makes I'd refuse to dps without one, though...

Being that the buff is for subscribers, believe majority taking advantage of it are already going to be vets to the game.

Yeah, this is my thought. Honestly, I don't mind seeing more folks PVPing. 1 in 8 or 10 or something like that will stick around, which is good. We'll keep getting super quick pops like we have been. I'm with BattleMonkey, most would be veteran subs anyway so surely they know what grass and snow are. If not, hopefully there'll be enough to spread evenly through each team like a plague.

It's interesting how SWTOR is pretty much the only outlet that is continuing to produce new story content in the previous "Legends" EU while supposedly everyone else has stopped for the new continuity.

I was very curious about this as well...but then again I guess they are a bit too far into the game now to just up and retcon the entire SWTOR story. I suppose since it's so far back in time Disney just doesn't care or doesn't see it as detracting from their new EU?

On another topic, that Star Wars Rebels premiere...I like. My kids like it too.

Back on topic: tried out 12x EXP last night on my level 47 merc. In 1 hour and 10 minutes (25 or 30 of which I spent lost on Voss) I went from 47 to 50. The intro quest to Makeb alone gives like 440k and got me from barely into 49 all the way to 50. It was freaking awesome. Kudos to them. Now I just need to do my guardian to get my last class buff.

EDIT: The other underrated part...abilities cost nothing to upgrade now. Not sure if that was mentioned.

Moff

Starfighter was an awesome concept that worked great, and even in that topic GAF only shamed the game. an OT for bringig back revan would be nothing but a desaster.

Could they shit on Revan as a character a little more? Eat a dick Bioware.

Frankly this expansion is what I hope will help redeem what happened with Revan at game's launch. Many didn't think it was the end and I'm glad it didn't end there. Now an expansion focused on him, I hope it's well fleshed out story finally for him, with some more digging into character motives.

I just hope they don't just keep it as if he has gone off the deep end and is just crazy villain now which the original story end at launch made it feel like to so many.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
New class stories!

Actually, it's just one mission per class but it's something!

For the most part, yes, what you will play is one singular storyline which is being told from two different sides, as player-characters of both factions have the same goals in the storyline (as in Forged Alliances). Additionally, each player class will be given one unique Class Story Mission as part of the storyline; these are entirely different from one another.

I suppose that's the best we can hope for. Personally I really liked the Makeb story and I thought it had some great set piece moments so I'm excited about what they will do this time.

Moff

I'm pretty sure Revan will be a good guy, I wouldnt call this expansion "shitting on the character" before I have actually seen it.

New class stories!

Actually, it's just one mission per class but it's something!

I suppose that's the best we can hope for. Personally I really liked the Makeb story and I thought it had some great set piece moments so I'm excited about what they will do this time.

Am I reading this correctly, does that mean both empire end republic have the same story? how does that even work? they cant have the same quests can they?

I'm pretty sure Revan will be a good guy, I wouldnt call this expansion "shitting on the character" before I have actually seen it.

Am I reading this correctly, does that mean both empire end republic have the same story? how does that even work? they cant have the same quests can they?

Yea it seems to just be one storyline this time instead of two unique ones like last expansion. The forged alliance story essentially seems to have it that characters are playing a hidden group fighting against Revan so your not part of republic or empire for the story per say.

Moff

Yea it seems to just be one storyline this time instead of two unique ones like last expansion. The forged alliance story essentially seems to have it that characters are playing a hidden group fighting against Revan so your not part of republic or empire for the story per say.

but thats completely new for the game isnt it? is there any other zone where imps and reps have the same NPCs, bases or even quests?

but thats completely new for the game isnt it? is there any other zone where imps and reps have the same NPCs, bases or even quests?

They will probably have different bases, but like Manaan ad such, share some locations for quests. But they also created the two main npcs that you each deal with. Same story but you mainly deal with a different main quest giver

I couldn't help myself guys. Brace for impact. Please don't hate me too much.

EDIT: So far it's going just how I suspected. It should drop to rock bottom soon enough.

daoster

Ugh, I guess one new mission for classes is something, but that's really the main thing keeping me from coming back...it's all faction stories now instead of class stories =\

I couldn't help myself guys. Brace for impact. Please don't hate me too much.

EDIT: So far it's going just how I suspected. It should drop to rock bottom soon enough.

I am surprised that only about half of the comments so far is still bitching about how this isn't KOTOR 3.

Ugh, I guess one new mission for classes is something, but that's really the main thing keeping me from coming back...it's all faction stories now instead of class stories =\

Class stories are nice for sure and i do want them to continue them but right now this looks set to continue the kind of "KOTOR era" overall arc in significant ways which i think it can do and then cross fingers for class story continuation after this shift in the era has occured.

In fact i am going to call what i think might happen in the expansion - not really spoilers except for pre Forged Alliances :

1) 85% chance of: Satele Shan or Theron Shan or Both die. Whether due to Revan or because of betrayal from Empire/Emperor - i can see one of them dying to balance out the loss of Malgus.

2) 50% chance of: Shroud stepping up as a major player by either being in league with Revan or manipulating the events in some way.

3) Almost 0% chance that Darth Marr will die - Empire lost too many leaders already.

4) 75% chance that emperor is still maintaining some sort of link with Revan, which explains why he is attacking Repubs.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This seems pretty good actually, cleansing of stuns is huge.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for Gunslingers.

Looks like you will be able to play through the Forged Alliances story arc solo in 3.0.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7711498#edit7711498

Quote: Originally Posted by DomiSotto
I am very excited about the upcoming Expansion, but I was wondering if there is a discussion of a possibility of producing Forged Alliance Story Arc in a solo version some time after the release (as there obviously will be a lot of things to fix and fin-tune!), so a solo player could eventually play through the story and meet the characters that seem to be an important part of the expansion.

EDIT: And no rewards/drops of any special significance, obviously

Thank you!

-----

Funny you should mention that, we are actually going to do that very thing! It is really important as we head into Shadow of Revan that players have seen the Forged Alliances storyline. Although we will certainly never force you through it, we want to make it so that if you haven't played through it, you have an opportunity to see the whole storyline, even by yourself if you choose!

-eric

Syf

Banned
Kinda hope it does. I just erased a character to change some appearance stuff and had to log out, now I'm stuck in queue and that toon's name is up for one of these loathsome noobs to steal.

45 min wait now. Maybe there is something wrong with the server.

*checks twitter*

Yep it crashed again lol, 2nd time this evening.

KePoW

Banned
I'm glad one of you created the XP thread, I had no idea there was a new one. I have always enjoyed my times with SWTOR, it's a good game.

btw -- did they ever fix the Black Talon and Esseles hyperspace crash?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hmm, maybe I'll come back.

This was my most hyped video game of all time - the online dream sequel to my favorite game of all time, KOTOR. I spent years waiting for this title - spent like $100 for a beta key before release, and $150 on the CE.

A month later, I shelved the game - never got past level 30 or so. Everything was just so lifeless - so empty. It ran like crap. The difficulty spikes were weird. PVP was dumb. Ugh - just a massive disappointment.

But, I always did want to at least play through a couple of the story lines. If I could beat the main story for JK, JC, and SI, I'd be a pretty happy camper...

Syf

Banned
If you haven't played in that long you should notice significant improvements. I quit about a month after launch too and when I came back, I loved it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

This was my most hyped video game of all time - the online dream sequel to my favorite game of all time, KOTOR. I spent years waiting for this title - spent like $100 for a beta key before release, and $150 on the CE.

A month later, I shelved the game - never got past level 30 or so. Everything was just so lifeless - so empty. It ran like crap. The difficulty spikes were weird. PVP was dumb. Ugh - just a massive disappointment.

But, I always did want to at least play through a couple of the story lines. If I could beat the main story for JK, JC, and SI, I'd be a pretty happy camper...

I was super hyped on SWTOR too, but it didn't end up like, offending me the way D3 vanilla's shittiness did. Sure it ended up fairly disappointing, but it was overall a more complete experience leveling a couple of characters to 50 and messing around with the endgame for a bit.

Milly79

JK, SW, Smug, IA and BH are pretty good, imo. I did not care for JC or SI, and never got a Trooper up there. The game runs really good now, and I love the PvP. To each their own, but I tried a few other MMOs for strictly PvP and this ALWAYS brings me back in.

KePoW

Banned
JK, SW, Smug, IA and BH are pretty good, imo. I did not care for JC or SI, and never got a Trooper up there. The game runs really good now, and I love the PvP. To each their own, but I tried a few other MMOs for strictly PvP and this ALWAYS brings me back in.

The PVP Battleground maps in SWTOR were surprisingly good. I didn't expect that during the launch hype, I was mainly planning to play the PVE.

But Hutt-Ball is still my favorite BG map in all MMOs!

Moff

why not try f2p to see if it runs better?
I still think the engine is the games biggest problem, it still does not run well honestly, and by now I have played SWTOR on three different high end Pcs.
they improved it a little bit though, so why not try it out f2p?

the stories can be played f2p, but if you really like it this time, you could even sub for a month and preorder the expansion, which will give you a 12x experience multiplier for class stories, allowing you to level your character by only playing the class stories, that would allow you to beat the main stories of your desired classes pretty fast.

daoster

I'm coming back in too. I think the last time I played was right around the time the first expansion pack was announced.

Need to finish my JW, JC, and BH stories at least!

I read somewhere in the other topic the first expansion pack is now free? if I redownload the game, will I just automatically get it? Maybe I should check it out with my Gunslinger.

I'm coming back in too. I think the last time I played was right around the time the first expansion pack was announced.

Need to finish my JW, JC, and BH stories at least!

I read somewhere in the other topic the first expansion pack is now free? if I redownload the game, will I just automatically get it? Maybe I should check it out with my Gunslinger.

First expansion is free if you a subscriber I believe

Sorian

Banned
So this 12x exp is for class missions only? I have a bunch of characters hovering around 49ish that is love to power up to 55 but they are all done with their class story. Does Makeb count towards the bonus? Don't think I've touched it with any of them.

Syf

Banned
So this 12x exp is for class missions only? I have a bunch of characters hovering around 49ish that is love to power up to 55 but they are all done with their class story. Does Makeb count towards the bonus? Don't think I've touched it with any of them.
I've heard the Makeb story missions count for the 12x bonus as well. Can't confirm personally though.

I've heard the Makeb story missions count for the 12x bonus as well. Can't confirm personally though.
You're correct. Makeb storyline missions give out insane amounts of xp.

Just a tip for anybody steamroll leveling with this bonus, go to Makeb at 47. Grab the GSI satellite bolster and go to town. You get to 50 so damn quick.

Top Bottom