• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

So is there any inclination on what color these ranked PVP crystals will be? I'll have them on two or three chars, so I hope it's something decent. All black pls. Or reverse the cores and put the color in the core...ie: instead of black/red we get red/black crystals.

Honestly I just hope it's something that isn't gaudy and neon.

So is there any inclination on what color these ranked PVP crystals will be? I'll have them on two or three chars, so I hope it's something decent. All black pls. Or reverse the cores and put the color in the core...ie: instead of black/red we get red/black crystals.

Honestly I just hope it's something that isn't gaudy and neon.
Nope. All they said is that it's a unique color. I see a lot of PvPers wishing for a black color crystal.

I bought like 4 or 5 Relaxed Tracksuit jackets. They're dirt cheap right now, and they're just slutty enough to be worth big money when they aren't so plentiful, I'd think. Hopefully the investment will pay off!

I bought like 4 or 5 Relaxed Tracksuit jackets. They're dirt cheap right now, and they're just slutty enough to be worth big money when they aren't so plentiful, I'd think. Hopefully the investment will pay off!

If there is one immutable rule in SWTOR, any outfit, no matter how ugly, that shows sideboob will be ridiculously expensive.

No sideboob, but miles of midriff.

swtor-relaxed-tracksuit-armor.jpg

The jumpsuit and uniform variants sell for in the millions, so I'm hoping for something similar in the future.

Even if they only barely break 6 figures, I'm still making a huge profit. The boxes for the tops are going for like 15-20k on the GTN. (For some reason just the tops are going for like 40k+)

Raxious

So I used to play this game when it first launched, but stopped pretty much after hitting 50 because back then there wasn't a whole lot of stuff to do? Has that changed a lot?

Also, how's the server population on EU and NA?

So I used to play this game when it first launched, but stopped pretty much after hitting 50 because back then there wasn't a whole lot of stuff to do? Has that changed a lot?

There's oodles of dailies and stuff to do post-game, if that's your thing. If you have a sub (or bought the expansion), there's Makeb, then from there you can do the Oricon quest line, the Forged Alliances quest line, and there's even a new expansion coming out next month. Random hard mode flashpoints and Operations are always fun, too. There's also a housing system in the game called Strongholds which is a neat diversion. When you buy your house you get a few decoration items for free, then you can craft items to exchange for deco items, or do flashpoints and hope for random drops.

Can't speak for other servers, but Harbinger is very, very well populated. In fact, it's so busy the server can't go a month without crashing!

Alur

There's EV, KP, EC, SnV, DP, and DF operations (raids) now. There's events fairly regularly that also have raid bosses. There are several new objective warzones, (plus four 4v4 arenas). Several flashpoints, daily quest hubs, and other things of that sort. There's more than enough to do.

And to find out server population, look at Torstatus.net.

The top two NA servers are RP PVE and are Begeron Colony and Ebon Hawk. I would avoid Ebon Hawk, as it's population will inevitably fluctuate once the convergence of ranked PVPers moves on yet again. They were complaining about being a dead server and wanting to merge not long ago. The Harbinger is the biggest NA PVE server.

Battle Meditation (RP PVE) and The Red Eclipse (PVE) are the biggest EU servers, but considerably smaller pops than the bigger NA ones.

Most of the posters here play on Jedi Covenant (PVE). It was one of the top two or three for a good bit until recent months when The Harbinger and Ebon Hawk surges happened.

wow, it's like the GTN has been wiped out of basic gear for your classes because of this 12x XP buff. Leveling up fine but can't find any actual useful gear to buy outside of a handful of blues or purples that folks are asking ridiculous amounts for. Even simple green ups in gear for your character and companion are almost non existent anymore.

wow, it's like the GTN has been wiped out of basic gear for your classes because of this 12x XP buff. Leveling up fine but can't find any actual useful gear to buy outside of a handful of blues or purples that folks are asking ridiculous amounts for. Even simple green ups in gear for your character and companion are almost non existent anymore.

Buy mods with comms, man! Really the best way to go, since planetary comms are easy to get, and you only have to upgrade every 10-15 levels.

Draxal

They really need scalable legacy gear for this game. Gearing my companions/char while leveling up was always a complete chore.

kmz

Neo Member
Still pissing people off to no end, but now in new 2014 flavor.
Eh, there's no ranged version anymore, which was the biggest problem.

LOL. DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE DEALING WITH?!

I still remember Ino forcing Imposed to do a flashpoint with us and getting him his very first social points. (I think it was Imposed... might have been somebody else in PD with a common word name.)

ETA: After picking up the Sleen drop and doing the infection daily, I now have all Rakghoul achievements except the hidden infect 1000 one... I don't think I have it in me to grind for that.

Buy mods with comms, man! Really the best way to go, since planetary comms are easy to get, and you only have to upgrade every 10-15 levels.

Don't really earn coms fast enough to keep gearing up your character and companion. Gear matters lot more at the higher levels also, the early levels don't matter much especially with you got a ton of presence buffs, but later on it starts to hit you with a wall of difficulty if your using a bunch of outdated gear.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Don't really earn coms fast enough to keep gearing up your character and companion. Gear matters lot more at the higher levels also, the early levels don't matter much especially with you got a ton of presence buffs, but later on it starts to hit you with a wall of difficulty if your using a bunch of outdated gear.

I just have a cybertech alt make all my mods, even regular green mods are enough to get through leveling. I use whatever planetary comms I have then supplement with greens.

Armaros

I just have a cybertech alt make all my mods, even regular green mods are enough to get through leveling. I use whatever planetary comms I have then supplement with greens.

So thankful my oldest character is a cybertech, so I can easily get a set of armorings and mods for all my alts.

If you grab the daily and weekly off the fleet and queue up for a random FP, you get a nice payout of planetery comms to the tune of 25-30. Gives you more then enough to get all your mods and enhancements. Though, that means you have to put up with mid level PUGs.

Doing low level heroics is another way to get comms. You don't get quite as many, but it's less annoying than getting a bad flashpoint group.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3

I have one guy doing cybertech and one guy doing lightsaber and they create all my mods, enhancements, and crystals. Everyone else is a gatherer. The only thing I really don't get provided to me is barrels. I considered a gun guy just for the barrels but I'll be damned if I'm ever leveling up another crafter. They took all the joy out of that kind of stuff when it was all in the cradle.

Alur

Damn I hate arena matches in my undergeared toon. I wish I could unchecked them

I don't like them period. Not in regs or in the 4v4 and solo ranked. They are way too stompy.

If I'm playing with friends/guild, it's typically a rollfest. If solo, you're as likely to get stomped as you are to stomp the other team. If we somehow manage to hit another great premade is about the only way it's a game, and even then I don't find it very enjoyable because of the acid mechanic and how teams stall.

I just prefer the objectives. I'm not a fan of team deathmatch. Part of that may be always playing heals, but I feel it's a more enjoying style of play to have something to go for all the time. You can deathmatch during your objective games if you want, IMO, there was no need for deathmatch ranked/regs. Plenty of other games that do that. SWTOR PVP's strength was always the objectives (among other things).

Can't believe I never thought to get the Security Key app set up on my phone. That glorious white and red dye, and the sluttiest gear in the game totally make the added effort worth it.

Dat imperial dancer gear, man.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Can't believe I never thought to get the Security Key app set up on my phone. That glorious white and red dye, and the sluttiest gear in the game totally make the added effort worth it.

Dat imperial dancer gear, man.

Plus you get an extra 100 cartel coins a month.

Plus you get an extra 100 cartel coins a month.

Oh yeah, that too!

It actually gave me the extra 100 right on the spot, I guess since I already got my allowance for the month. Ended up buying the rocket boost upgrade 2. Best legacy unlock in the game. I thought it would just be a 30 second drop like the first, but it was a full minute.

Heysoos

So yeah for like the umpteenth time in a row, I think I'm done with this game until Bioware does something about the PVP community. There's not enough of a player pool in JC to make it worth my time. I'm tired of what'shisface empty promises of "there's something better than cross server queues in the way" especially when he was asked if PVPers would like it and he said he didn't know. Way to inspire confidence there. I may try WoW. OrI guess I'll try DOTA2 or something.

Milly79

So yeah for like the umpteenth time in a row, I think I'm done with this game until Bioware does something about the PVP community. There's not enough of a player pool in JC to make it worth my time. I'm tired of what'shisface empty promises of "there's something better than cross server queues in the way" especially when he was asked if PVPers would like it and he said he didn't know. Way to inspire confidence there. I may try WoW. OrI guess I'll try DOTA2 or something.

Plenty of people. You just play the wrong side.

it really does suck that they aren't putting in a Yavin or Rishi PvP map for this expansion at launch. Would look pretty cool.

StudioTan

This new raid boss (?) is pretty awesome looking.

IBgbxzF.jpg

lJp7EMY.png

Alur

So yeah for like the umpteenth time in a row, I think I'm done with this game until Bioware does something about the PVP community.

Much like I had to realize in my self-induced sabbatical...you gotta suck it up and make some new friends to PVP with man. Your old ones are gone. It's just how it is in these games. Of course it's gonna suck if you are soloing. But there are definitely plenty of people playing. If anything, there's more regularly playing now than there has been for quite some time. Tons of people are back on JC. (PVP that is)

Plenty of people. You just play the wrong side.

And this. Pub side is just not a good place to be unless you have a strong premade. When the folks like you, me and Yooni disappeared/quit the ones left went to play imps and they stayed there. Pub has gotten better in the past month, but it's still a big gap. And the number of imps has to be at least triple or quadruple at any one time.

I'll also add you play so sporadically that it's very hard for me and Bruta/Homi and/or Yooni to group with you. You never know if you are gonna be available or anything, so we can't hold you a spot or count on a time you'll be there. I feel like that more than anything is why you don't enjoy it anymore. Soloing itself is bad enough, but it's hard to play an MMO at endgame with that kind of schedule.

This new raid boss (?) is pretty awesome looking.

Agreed. Pretty freaking sweet.

Milly79

Much like I had to realize in my self-induced sabbatical...you gotta suck it up and make some new friends to PVP with man. Your old ones are gone. It's just how it is in these games. Of course it's gonna suck if you are soloing. But there are definitely plenty of people playing. If anything, there's more regularly playing now than there has been for quite some time. Tons of people are back on JC. (PVP that is)

And this. Pub side is just not a good place to be unless you have a strong premade. When the folks like you, me and Yooni disappeared/quit the ones left went to play imps and they stayed there. Pub has gotten better in the past month, but it's still a big gap. And the number of imps has to be at least triple or quadruple at any one time.

I'll also add you play so sporadically that it's very hard for me and Bruta/Homi and/or Yooni to group with you. You never know if you are gonna be available or anything, so we can't hold you a spot or count on a time you'll be there. I feel like that more than anything is why you don't enjoy it anymore. Soloing itself is bad enough, but it's hard to play an MMO at endgame with that kind of schedule.

Agreed. Pretty freaking sweet.

Dunno what you're talking about, I've always split sides. I just got in spurts where I play one side more, and right now it's Imp. I told Isk I'd like to see the guild focus more on Pubs, to balance stuff out a little, but I doubt people are going to go for it now since we've picked up Imp only people and have had the old Pubs level alts. Wahn joined the guild today, btw... As well as Proxi last night...........

Alur

Dunno what you're talking about, I've always split sides.

LOL isn't this...

I just got in spurts where I play one side more, and right now it's Imp.

...pretty much exactly what I said. You played imp as Yooni, you went pub with Ditto. You played pub with PD and whoever, then quit/went to another server. You quit and came back on the other server, and now you're back on JC and playing imp. That's pretty much what I said. We played pub, we don't now. We might again in the future, but for now it's not recommended.

You can't claim splitting sides when all those times you were like 80-90% on one side or the other. That's just you being contrary to be contrary.

I told Isk I'd like to see the guild focus more on Pubs, to balance stuff out a little, but I doubt people are going to go for it now since we've picked up Imp only people and have had the old Pubs level alts. Wahn joined the guild today, btw... As well as Proxi last night...........

It's merely a matter of convincing 3 other people to go pub side with you any given day. I had it going pretty good there til I burnt out. Several of the UC guys just don't seem to be interested in it/have said they weren't is the only sad part. What's Isk gonna do about it anyway, bitch at them in French? Not much he can do IMO.

I heard about Wahn. Wasn't Proxi in LD50? There's your own Prettiiboi :p. I'm super surprised he (Wahn) joined them. Also joined Stims pub side. First time he's ventured out of the Starsider guild tag. Normally he just solos and/or plays with a few of us and then disappears again from boredom. He must actually wanna stay with it this time.

I keep seeing those damned Relaxed Tracksuits pop up on the GTN for 15k, so I keep buying them.

Before long my cargo hold is going to be full of them!

Also, anyone else notice that green gear has fallen off in price? It's almost down to pre-SOR levels.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just started playing this game yesterday. I'm doing F2P and I'm a little amused at the types of things that are behind a paywall (crafting, getting a mount, picking quest rewards, etc.). Thankfully none of it is pay to win, but they're definitely pushing hard to get you to subscribe or, at least, to spend real money in-game.

Anyway I'm really enjoying the game so far - just hit level 11 as a Sith Assassin. I'm still getting used to the combat but I'm enjoying the story aspects and the universe design. I spent pretty much all day today playing this, so clearly there's something here that I'm enjoying.

I main an Assassin, and love it to death. Probably the most fun class I've played, though the rotation is pretty involved compared to the other classes (at least as a Deception spec).

Inquisitor also has one of my favorite stories in the game, so overall it's a good first class to play!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I main an Assassin, and love it to death. Probably the most fun class I've played, though the rotation is pretty involved compared to the other classes (at least as a Deception spec).

Inquisitor also has one of my favorite stories in the game, so overall it's a good first class to play!

That's awesome! Yeah I haven't really bothered putting much thought into my spec yet, I figure I'll spend some time getting used to the game before thinking about what spec I want to go with.

Milly79

LOL isn't this...

...pretty much exactly what I said. You played imp as Yooni, you went pub with Ditto. You played pub with PD and whoever, then quit/went to another server. You quit and came back on the other server, and now you're back on JC and playing imp. That's pretty much what I said. We played pub, we don't now. We might again in the future, but for now it's not recommended.

You can't claim splitting sides when all those times you were like 80-90% on one side or the other. That's just you being contrary to be contrary.

It's merely a matter of convincing 3 other people to go pub side with you any given day. I had it going pretty good there til I burnt out. Several of the UC guys just don't seem to be interested in it/have said they weren't is the only sad part. What's Isk gonna do about it anyway, bitch at them in French? Not much he can do IMO.

I heard about Wahn. Wasn't Proxi in LD50? There's your own Prettiiboi :p. I'm super surprised he (Wahn) joined them. Also joined Stims pub side. First time he's ventured out of the Starsider guild tag. Normally he just solos and/or plays with a few of us and then disappears again from boredom. He must actually wanna stay with it this time.

Nope, you didn't say any of that. :)

I just started playing this game yesterday. I'm doing F2P and I'm a little amused at the types of things that are behind a paywall (crafting, getting a mount, picking quest rewards, etc.). Thankfully none of it is pay to win, but they're definitely pushing hard to get you to subscribe or, at least, to spend real money in-game.
A lot of that stuff I wish they just made available to everybody such as mission lockboxes. I've always been in favor of them just giving subscribers more benefits instead of handicapping other statuses.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Going Deception spec helps a lot since you get buffs to your stealth ability. Slipping past enemies helps immensely to cut out some of the grind.

Oh yeah, good point. One of my WoW characters was a rogue and I loved being able to bypass annoying enemies, so that's something I'll keep in mind.

A lot of that stuff I wish they just made available to everybody such as mission lockboxes. I've always been in favor of them just giving subscribers more benefits instead of handicapping other statuses.

Yeah I also just realized that you can't bank your extra items or expand your bag size without buying those slots with cash. Kind of annoying actually since I assume I will eventually accumulate quite a lot of items.

Man, prices on so many things in the GTN are in the shitter right now. I guess everyone is selling items off now because they don't know what things are going to be worth once 3.0 hits. Decco items that normally bring 300k are down under 100k. Manaan Research Data down to like 50k. Mounts and pets that would bring 200k+ won't even sell for 100k.

On the plus side, I'm snatching up all the slutty armor I can for fairly cheap. Always bet on slutty selling!

Man, prices on so many things in the GTN are in the shitter right now. I guess everyone is selling items off now because they don't know what things are going to be worth once 3.0 hits. Decco items that normally bring 300k are down under 100k. Manaan Research Data down to like 50k. Mounts and pets that would bring 200k+ won't even sell for 100k.

On the plus side, I'm snatching up all the slutty armor I can for fairly cheap. Always bet on slutty selling!

My cash is all in loincloth futures, have like 2 dozen of them.

I grabbed a bunch of Dramatic Extrovert gear to complete my collection, but I found out there's a helmet... So I ended up getting the only supplementary armor box just because I was desperate for the last piece. Now I'm thinking of selling just the helmet for huge amounts of money, because there aren't any others... Wonder if I could get a million credits? Seems like the type of helmet people would want to make an edge-lord character.

Plus there's the desperation I felt to complete the collection. I paid 250k for the box, I could see someone being more desperate to complete the collection. And I'd have the market cornered.

For an expansion so close to release, they really are not doing a whole lot of revealing of anything. Entire focus has been pretty much on the class changes

For an expansion so close to release, they really are not doing a whole lot of revealing of anything. Entire focus has been pretty much on the class changes

I'm perfectly fine with this... Since Assassin/Shadow is getting a buff. I was afraid they were getting nerfed, so the class change info has been like an early Christmas present to me.

I'd probably like to see a little new info, but I can't complain too much.

Alur

Welp, figured I'd do it again cause reasons.

Bought the pvp experience bonuses on my alts, quite a fast way to lvl alts that are too low level for the current content.

You'd be super impressed with double EXP weekends. And how about 12X-EXP pre-order bonuses? Legacy experience bonuses...bahahaha. Ain't nobody got time for that style of slow leveling.

I can't even imagine a NiM EC ;_;

You can't, can you?

What if I told you that not only did a NiM EC happen, but that you defeated it? ESPN films presents Yooni Wins All The Loot, a 30 for 30 film directed by Trevin H. Broward.

I'll have more fun in rateds when they add solo queues. Class balance is too borked for groups to be any fun right now.

Well, what if I told you that...

I doubt I'll do much more rated till solo queue come out.

Though I fear solo queuing wont be that much different from normal warzones. Plus people will try and cheat the system to get put in the same games as their friends and stuff.

...there are guilds such as one called Holocron who win traded their way to All Galaxy rankings? Solo ranked is nearly as bad as group ranked...as it turns out.

...Unless Yooni is present.

inrPT7GFCER63.gif

I feel the same way about him when he fills the PVP group 3 minutes before I log in.

So, I should roll a pyro PT?

By the time you get it to 50 it'll be nerfed a bit, and good chance sniper will be fotm by then.

Still not too late, two years later. I think you already rolled one, though.

A cheap F2P expansion wherein all characters can level up to 55 or whatever limit they set, but by paying the 10 bucks or whatever you get the new quests so that it isn't like gnashing teeth (sort of like LOTRO I guess)

This guy is purdy smart. That sounds something like RotHC.

Is anyone else having issues with their friends list window not showing players logged in correctly?

What? Really? Now that you mention it, I AM having issues with this bug...two years later. WTF.

This is one of the most annoying fucking things in this game. I was on pub side last night and had 7 friends on...the friends thing wasn't even in the tab. I had to manually open it to even see any of them.

They need to rework the whole inheritance system.

Yes.

I cannot wait until Bioware nerfs the fuck out of PTs and Vanguards. Fuck PVP.

Spoiler alert:
no u. you're still playing

5RRv5yD.png

2 mil subs to FTP in less than 6 months. gg EA

It was an all-time collapse. EA + BW = the Buffalo Bills and 2004 Yankees rolled into one big turd conglomerate. Thankfully things are much better now.

Good news is ages later BW finally has a game out people love again. Good for them I guess.

Milly79

Welp, figured I'd do it again cause reasons.

You'd be super impressed with double EXP weekends. And how about 12X-EXP pre-order bonuses? Legacy experience bonuses...bahahaha. Ain't nobody got time for that style of slow leveling.

You can't, can you?

What if I told you that not only did a NiM EC happen, but that you defeated it? ESPN films presents Yooni Wins All The Loot, a 30 for 30 film directed by Trevin H. Broward.

Well, what if I told you that...

...there are guilds such as one called Holocron who win traded their way to All Galaxy rankings? Solo ranked is nearly as bad as group ranked...as it turns out.

I feel the same way about him when he fills the PVP group 3 minutes before I log in.

Still not too late, two years later. I think you already rolled one, though.

This guy is purdy smart. That sounds something like RotHC.

What? Really? Now that you mention it, I AM having issues with this bug...two years later. WTF.

This is one of the most annoying fucking things in this game. I was on pub side last night and had 7 friends on...the friends thing wasn't even in the tab. I had to manually open it to even see any of them.

Yes.

Spoiler alert:
no u. you're still playing

5RRv5yD.png

It was an all-time collapse. EA + BW = the Buffalo Bills and 2004 Yankees rolled into one big turd conglomerate. Thankfully things are much better now.

Good news is ages later BW finally has a game out people love again. Good for them I guess.

picard_clapping.gif

So solo mode for flashpoints is happening, but have they said any details of it? They talked about it on instagram which had people excited since they thought it was for OPs too, but they clarified it's for FP's only. So will all FP's have a solo mode?

Seems kinda pointless if they do this, it's not hard to get into a FP if they just were to boost or bolster them for a story mode thing.

I wouldn't mind some form of easy/solo mode for ops in some form eventually, I've missed out on those storylines since our guild go too small and not hardcore enough for them. And OP queues never pop

Top Bottom