• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

It sounds like the op fight is not really the finale, so perhaps that will keep ppl happy. Don't want to get spoiled too much though so not going to dig to deep. But fans would be pissed if the finale of the expansion was locked behind endgame raid.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It sounds like the op fight is not really the finale, so perhaps that will keep ppl happy. Don't want to get spoiled too much though so not going to dig to deep. But fans would be pissed if the finale of the expansion was locked behind endgame raid.

I believe that you can choose to not do the raid. I've been avoiding too many spoilers as well but as far as I understand it
you have the option to choose 2 paths, one where you do the raid fight and one where an army does it or something like that while you go do something else, then you join up with the story afterwards. They want people to be able to see the entire story.

Rishi is gorgeous.

Fedemgsuy

Guys, im doing the quest chain to unlock Hk-51, but the "random part search" is killing me, is it worthy?, or should i get Treek instead?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Guys, im doing the quest chain to unlock Hk-51, but the "random part search" is killing me, is it worthy?, or should i get Treek instead?

Depends on what you need. Treek is either tank or healer, HK is DPS only. It can take a while to do the parts search but just do it systematically and it shouldn't take TOO long.

I could use both on my healer sage, Nadia has bored me.

HK quest is good to do if you got nothing else to do, it's kinda of a pain but he is a really fun companion to have around just to hear that voice. Personally thought HK and Treek were both excellent companions, but you got to pay for treek which is annoying. I only got treek when he was deeply discounted sale.

Stopped playing like ... 3 months after launch of the game. Did the game really improved?

Any room for solo players as far as high end content is reguarded, as in, can you get good stuff and not have to join a guild and raid?

Also, how is the PvP now?

Enjoyed the different stories, played my trooper up to lvl 50 and did a few raids back then. But was really disapointed with the PvP planet.

StudioTan

Stopped playing like ... 3 months after launch of the game. Did the game really improved?

Any room for solo players as far as high end content is reguarded, as in, can you get good stuff and not have to join a guild and raid?

Also, how is the PvP now?

Enjoyed the different stories, played my trooper up to lvl 50 and did a few raids back then. But was really disapointed with the PvP planet.

This entirely depends on what you didn't like about it the first time. There has been a LOT of content added since then and you won't find anything like the clusterfuck that was Ilum at launch. It's not even a PVP planet anymore, it's just a quest area and it's used for a re-occurring event.

There have also been a lot of QoL improvements over the years so overall it's a much better game than it was at launch, for sure.

Joining a guild is highly recommended because you get XP and reputation perks but it's not required. Most of the raids are available through the group finder. PVP is very healthy on my server, Shadowlands, can't speak for the rest.

The best place to find a list of the major changes since launch is here.

Well that's annoying. I had 100% accuracy, but they dropped the accuracy buff from one of my skills and now I'm down to 97%... So now I have to sacrifice power in order to get my accuracy back up.

kmz

Neo Member
Damn this having a day job and not forseeing Bioware actually having their shit together so not bothering to take the day off...

I hate how I was one of the few that actually enjoyed Ilum PVP. I was on a large enough server where we would have large scale wars, and it was awesome.

Then people complained and they decided to "fix" it and pretty much ruined Ilum. I can understand revamping the PVP, but out right removing it outside of a shitty FFA event? Meh.

They really need to make more use of their open world pvp system, but I suppose it's too late now. Seriously, people ruin too much shit in MMOs.

Sorry for the random rant.

Milly79

I hate how I was one of the few that actually enjoyed Ilum PVP. I was on a large enough server where we would have large scale wars, and it was awesome.

Then people complained and they decided to "fix" it and pretty much ruined Ilum. I can understand revamping the PVP, but out right removing it outside of a shitty FFA event? Meh.

They really need to make more use of their open world pvp system, but I suppose it's too late now. Seriously, people ruin too much shit in MMOs.

There's absolutely no way it will run well, so I don't see the complaint. Was on Rishi earlier with 2 instances at the beginning of the day with 100+ Imps, and probably the same amount of Pubs running around and it was delay city. It's just not worth it. Hell, even the poor old Tython FP with 30 players was lag city for everyone.

Moff

A+++++++++++++++++. Way better than Makeb. Took about 8~ hours or so, with quests dailies stacked and an xp boost.

you mean you did the dailies before and returned them today?
with that and the XP boss did you hit 60 more or less at the end of the story content?

good to know it's better than makeb, wich already wasnt that bad. I am looking forward to it, sadly I didnt preorder on time for the early access, but I am busy with dragon age anyway. I did have a short look at the new skill "trees" though, looks pretty fun, even if I usually like to play hybrid.
is it true there is a new class story mission? is it just a few sentences or something worthwhile that actually continues the class story from the 1-50 content?

Milly79

you mean you did the dailies before and returned them today?
with that and the XP boss did you hit 60 more or less at the end of the story content?

good to know it's better than makeb, wich already wasnt that bad. I am looking forward to it, sadly I didnt preorder on time for the early access, but I am busy with dragon age anyway. I did have a short look at the new skill "trees" though, looks pretty fun, even if I usually like to play hybrid.
is it true there is a new class story mission? is it just a few sentences or something worthwhile that actually continues the class story from the 1-50 content?

Yeah, I did CZ, Oricon, BH and some Sec X. Gave me almost a full bar towards 56. I hit 60 and I'm still not done with the story content. The class mission is short, but it does stem from your OG story. The IA one was a nice touch.

They been essentially trying to promote world pvp in daily areas and such by forcing players to play in same area, events, as well the guild conquest stuff.

Time to take a break. Playing on Yavin IV, I was getting 3-4 second lag. Completely and utterly unplayable. It's weird because my latency thing said 37ms...

Time to take a break. Playing on Yavin IV, I was getting 3-4 second lag. Completely and utterly unplayable. It's weird because my latency thing said 37ms...

Eh pretty much same crap we've seen with release of new daily quest hub zones and even the launch of strongholds. The instancing system the game uses is garbage and doesn't help much at all. And this being bigger than any of those launches..........

Yavin IV, as well? When I was on Rishi, there were like 14 instances, even when they had 80+ people, they didn't have nearly as bad lag as Yavin IV does with ~40 people.
Yep. Rishi was smooth for the 5 hours I was there. Yavin is shitting bricks right now.

Looks like it's fixed now. Yavin has multiple instances and the lag is gone.

I'm such an idiot. I reset the last Yavin 4 mission because the gate wasn't open for the last boss. Have to do the entire thing over again and wait for goddamn hours for those NPCs to spawn again. I think I'm going to work on some other characters.

The boss is bugged to hell.

When fighting him, he does the thing where he binds all the NPCs, and you run through the glowing orbs to free them. The problem is, most of the time it doesn't do the glowing orb thing. It just has the character bound, and he just hammers on you and the NPCs.

I've died like 6 times on it.

The boss is bugged to hell.

When fighting him, he does the thing where he binds all the NPCs, and you run through the glowing orbs to free them. The problem is, most of the time it doesn't do the glowing orb thing. It just has the character bound, and he just hammers on you and the NPCs.

I've died like 6 times on it.
That's exactly what happened to me. Then I went back to try it again and the gate was locked so I couldn't attempt. Should've never pressed reset!

Gave it 4 or 5 more tries, still couldn't beat it. One time the fight did what it was supposed to do the first time he stuns your NPCs, but the second time it bugged. Had him down to like 20% life, too. :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I played a lot of WoW and GW2 over the holidays, but now I find myself gravitating back to SWTOR. I played WoW to death back in the day and can't see myself grinding a character all the way up to 100, and while GW2 is very visceral, I feel like its combat system and story are simplistic compared to SWTOR. I think I'll make SWTOR my go-to MMO for the foreseeable future and see how I like it.

Anyway, does anyone know if there's a sale on the 2400 Cartel Coins? I know Gamestop had it on sale for $10 on Black Friday but I missed out on it and I don't want to pay $20 for it. I'm happy just waiting it out until it goes on sale again if it isn't discounted anywhere.

Anyway, does anyone know if there's a sale on the 2400 Cartel Coins? I know Gamestop had it on sale for $10 on Black Friday but I missed out on it and I don't want to pay $20 for it. I'm happy just waiting it out until it goes on sale again if it isn't discounted anywhere.
GameStop had it up for $15 after it went out of stock. Amazon had something similar for a while too. Hopefully we get something like that again near Christmas.

Milly79

Anyone know how to get the buffs back to the old way where your class buffs/stim, etc would persistently stay in the same place while everything stacked above it? I've tried all the options.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
GameStop had it up for $15 after it went out of stock. Amazon had something similar for a while too. Hopefully we get something like that again near Christmas.

Yeah I saw Amazon had it for $16 for a few days but I really want that 50% off deal. :D I don't really need the Cartel Coins for anything, I'm playing F2P atm and enjoying it so I'll just hold out until they go on sale. The one thing I really want them for is to buy bank storage, since I don't think there's any way to buy storage space using in-game currency. I may just spend the 5,000 credits to increase my bag space in the meantime.

Yeah I saw Amazon had it for $16 for a few days but I really want that 50% off deal. :D I don't really need the Cartel Coins for anything, I'm playing F2P atm and enjoying it so I'll just hold out until they go on sale. The one thing I really want them for is to buy bank storage, since I don't think there's any way to buy storage space using in-game currency. I may just spend the 5,000 credits to increase my bag space in the meantime.
You can buy everything from the cartel market through the Galactic Trade Network on the fleet. I just kept doing daily missions to rack up credits and bought all of my unlocks through there. Just make sure you go for the Account ones so that it applies to every character you have and any you make in the future.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You can buy everything from the cartel market through the Galactic Trade Network on the fleet. I just kept doing daily missions to rack up credits and bought all of my unlocks through there. Just make sure you go for the Account ones so that it applies to every character you have and any you make in the future.

Reaaaaaaaaally.....

Now, that changes things significantly. How much do I have to save up for these various items? I'm still level 13 so I only have ~7k credit, but I'm just wondering how much account unlocks usually run?

Reaaaaaaaaally.....

Now, that changes things significantly. How much do I have to save up for these various items? I'm still level 13 so I only have ~7k credit, but I'm just wondering how much account unlocks usually run?
You're looking at well over 300,000 credits. It's best to become Preferred as it makes things a bit easier to get through. Those credits come easy once you hit 50 and can start doing Black Hole, Ilum, Section X, etc. You can make around 500,000 credits a day and more if you sub for a month to get Rise of the Hutt Cartel for free. I think a full daily run not counting GSI dailies at level 55 would net me around 750,000 a day. It also depends on the server's market for account unlocks. Usually you can find them pretty cheap if you're lucky.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You're looking at well over 300,000 credits. It's best to become Preferred as it makes things a bit easier to get through. Those credits come easy once you hit 50 and can start doing Black Hole, Ilum, Section X, etc. You can make around 500,000 credits a day and more if you sub for a month to get Rise of the Hutt Cartel for free. I think a full daily run not counting GSI dailies at level 55 would net me around 750,000 a day. It also depends on the server's market for account unlocks. Usually you can find them pretty cheap if you're lucky.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought F2P players have a limit of 200,000 credits? How would I be able to buy stuff that is 300,000+ credits?

Armaros

I think Bioware accidentally broke sub-55 leveling.

Stuff that I was demolishing before the patch now are completely murdering me even tho the level difference is 42 vs 37.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought F2P players have a limit of 200,000 credits? How would I be able to buy stuff that is 300,000+ credits?
You would have to buy credit escrow items off the GTN. There's three different ones for different amounts: 50,000, 150,000, and 600,000. When you hit the 200,000 credit cap any credits you get afterwards, unless you spend the 200,000, will go into your credit escrow balance that you can see in the Currency tab of your Inventory. Escrow items will let you withdraw the amount the item is worth.

ftpcreditcap1.jpg

So for an example, I'm at the 200,000 credit cap and I have a 600,000 credit escrow item that I can use. I want to withdraw 600,000 credits that I have saved in my escrow to buy an item off the GTN. So I use the item and now I have 800,000 credits to spend. Just note that even after using this item I'm still at the mercy of the credit cap. So any credits I gather will go into the escrow until I get under 200,000 credits again.

As long as you have the available funds in your credit escrow balance, you can use them to get around the cap and buy whatever you want.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You would have to buy credit escrow items off the GTN. There's three different ones for different amounts: 50,000, 150,000, and 600,000. When you hit the 200,000 credit cap any credits you get afterwards, unless you spend the 200,000, will go into your credit escrow balance that you can see in the Currency tab of your Inventory. Escrow items will let you withdraw the amount the item is worth.

ftpcreditcap1.jpg

So for an example, I'm at the 200,000 credit cap and I have a 600,000 credit escrow item that I can use. I want to withdraw 600,000 credits that I have saved in my escrow to buy an item off the GTN. So I use the item and now I have 800,000 credits to spend. Just note that even after using this item I'm still at the mercy of the credit cap. So any credits I gather will go into the escrow until I get under 200,000 credits again.

As long as you have the available funds in your credit escrow balance, you can use them to get around the cap and buy whatever you want.

Haha man, they really make you work hard to buy stuff using in-game credits rather than real-world money. Good to know, thanks for the explanation!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely. I wish they would go back and look at the F2P system to make it work better. The strongbox restriction for mission rewards blows my mind.

Yeah I'm still new to the game but some of the stuff they lock behind a paywall is hilarious. Hiding your helmet, for example. I'm not about to pay money to unlock that feature so I've just been running around without equipping a helmet. It's not game-breaking by any means, but it is kind of petty of them to make you pay for that haha. I guess they're giving away the entire game for free so they are entitled to charge for cosmetic and quality-of-life items.

Top Bottom