• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

How is it broken? I've done the last fight twice no problem even with the horrible lag that yavin was gettng.

It bugged out for me. I managed it my 4th attempt by taunting and dropping threat at 67% and about 35% to confuse the final boss, breaking the mechanic, into not freezing everyone and also spending the entire fight hiding behind a pole. I also brought my tank comp to add to the threat confusion.

I never once saw the orbs.

Sorian

Banned
Sometimes he doesn't spawn the things you need.

Now I'm more confused. What things do you need? I dropped him from 100-0 with absolutely no mechanics except for companions going down in the last 5% one by one but I figured that was just storyline saying how the player character is stronger than the rest or something.

Now I'm more confused. What things do you need? I dropped him from 100-0 with absolutely no mechanics except for companions going down in the last 5% one by one but I figured that was just storyline saying how the player character is stronger than the rest or something.

There's a mechanic where he locks all the NPCs in place. The way it's supposed to work is you're supposed to pass through colored orb things that spawn, and touch one of the locked NPCs, then that frees them. While in this phase, the boss is supposed to be locked in the center, dealing small amounts of damage to everyone in the fight. Instead, the orbs don't spawn, and the boss is free to wreak havoc on everyone in the arena, with the NPCs all locked in place.

I finally beat the little bastard. First time he did the NPC lock, it worked as intended, the second time, it bugged like usual, but Satele Shan bugged out and was still healing, despite being locked.

So basically, I couldn't beat the boss before because it was bugged, but I only beat it this time because it's bugged. Fantastic.

Giolon

3.0 broke Seer Sage/Madness Sorcerer cleansing of Physical debuffs via their Mend Wounds/Sith Purity talents. They're granted as a Level 28 Discipline talent now, and still provide the requisite heal on Restoration/Expunge, but Physical debuffs from PVE mobs are not being cleansed correctly.

I'm pretty bummed out. Bioware hasn't even acknowledged the problem. Scoundrels/Operatives and Commandos/Mercenaries can cleanse the Physical debuffs as normal, but I'd be interested to know if their heal specs are having trouble with their talented debuff cleanses (Mental effects).

Other than that, I'm really enjoying this expansion's content better than Makeb. The extension of the Class storyline was great as short as it was.

Kadin

Apparently I missed the part where all specs of a class, like Operative for example, have the same 3 tiers of abilities to choose from. I never looked closely before 3.0 launched but this saddens me just a tad.

A friend and I both started up our 55 Operatives and he went Lethality while I went Medicine. I was quite surprised to see that he had a good amount of heals to himself and that between us both the 3 tiers of abilities were identical. Here I was thinking that each spec had its own set of skills to choose from.

Did anyone else happen to not notice this prior to launch? I'm starting to see why some people are saying that there's not as much diversity as there was before. I'm not convinced one way or the other yet but this was a pretty big eye-opener for me.

Apparently I missed the part where all specs of a class, like Operative for example, have the same 3 tiers of abilities to choose from. I never looked closely before 3.0 launched but this saddens me just a tad.

A friend and I both started up our 55 Operatives and he went Lethality while I went Medicine. I was quite surprised to see that he had a good amount of heals to himself and that between us both the 3 tiers of abilities were identical. Here I was thinking that each spec had its own set of skills to choose from.

Did anyone else happen to not notice this prior to launch? I'm starting to see why some people are saying that there's not as much diversity as there was before. I'm not convinced one way or the other yet but this was a pretty big eye-opener for me.

You do get all different abilities, it's the utilities that are the same across all three trees. But any spec you choose has it's own set of four unique abilities.

The idea is that you get all your core abilities without having to min max your characters now, while choosing utilities let you just do some customization that aren't game breaking or essential, they are options used to make the character play like you want it too.

Compared to diversity before hand, well again the problem with the skill trees is that players were mostly all just building their characters the same. Make an engineer sniper? Pretty much all engineer snipers would build the same way especially at high end play where everyone typically just builds the optimal way, very little diversity.

For casual players, you do have less choice and diversity, but they are targeting more high end play where min maxing essentially kills any form of build diversity. You essentially could build your character wrong and be not useful for endgame content, while under the discipline system, you can't really build a character wrong as utility choices are just that, utilities

Moff

I just think it's lazy that you can only choose passives and no active abilities. if you copy world of warcraft, you should do it at least as good. they managed to do that with the original game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I checked the GTN to try to see how much a quickslot bar unlock would cost, and I couldn't find any listed. Is there a specific name I should search for? Or are unlocks not always posted on the GTN?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I checked the GTN to try to see how much a quickslot bar unlock would cost, and I couldn't find any listed. Is there a specific name I should search for? Or are unlocks not always posted on the GTN?

Well it's possible no one had put any up for sale at the time you looked. There is only 1 for sale right now on my server.

All the unlocks are in the Cartel Market Items category on the GTN under Unlocks.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So with the new class/discipline changes, how different does leveling a new character feel? better? worse? not really that different?

I'm sure I'll want to hop back to a little SWTOR stint sooner or later, and that will entail using a referral for a free character transfer so I can bring all my legacy unlocks over to a new server (harbinger or ebon hawk, probably)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well it's possible no one had put any up for sale at the time you looked. There is only 1 for sale right now on my server.

All the unlocks are in the Cartel Market Items category on the GTN under Unlocks.

Cool thanks. I figured there would be a ton of them available but I guess it depends on whether or not someone has listed any.

Moff

damn, I knew this was a bug or unintended, but I still bought them all for 5 level 55 characters, damn

So with the new class/discipline changes, how different does leveling a new character feel? better? worse? not really that different?

I'm sure I'll want to hop back to a little SWTOR stint sooner or later, and that will entail using a referral for a free character transfer so I can bring all my legacy unlocks over to a new server (harbinger or ebon hawk, probably)

Well you get your important role abilities lot quicker, and they nerfed down the HP of all lvl 50 and under enemies so leveling is going to be alot quicker overall.

Heysoos

Is there any difference in that Yavin 4 mission when you choose either Solo or Operation? Or do they essentially end the same?

KePoW

Banned

hey... aren't you from Marvel Heroes??

The 60HMs are brutal. Just absolutely fucking brutal. Did Manaan yesterday, and the guildies I was running with are all very good at this game, as am I, and we wiped like 10+ times. Several of those times were to trash.

It's not often that I cry for a nerf, but god damn, it's unreasonable. It also doesn't help that there's very little incentive to do them, since bosses only drop 184 blue gear. You shouldn't even think of stepping foot into one under full 186.

I mean, Jesus, we've done HM 55 Ops that weren't that difficult.

The 60HMs are brutal. Just absolutely fucking brutal. Did Manaan yesterday, and the guildies I was running with are all very good at this game, as am I, and we wiped like 10+ times. Several of those times were to trash.

It's not often that I cry for a nerf, but god damn, it's unreasonable. It also doesn't help that there's very little incentive to do them, since bosses only drop 184 blue gear. You shouldn't even think of stepping foot into one under full 186.

I mean, Jesus, we've done HM 55 Ops that weren't that difficult.
I just did Manaan this morning. Boy was that an ass whipping. Died around 8 times. The first boss took forever because the shield dropped for 4 seconds each time. Second boss one of our members kept dying to the puddles. Third boss the tank didn't get to the flames fast enough.

Even the lvl 55 HM's are surprisingly hard now. The damage reductions, class changes, and increased interrupt timers is really making things tough

I just did Manaan this morning. Boy was that an ass whipping. Died around 8 times. The first boss took forever because the shield dropped for 4 seconds each time. Second boss one of our members kept dying to the puddles. Third boss the tank didn't get to the flames fast enough.

Yep. This is really bad. It's one thing to have the boss shielded multiple times, but to have it down for such a short amount of time makes the fight a drag.

Were you able to beat the bonus boss? My group just couldn't.

Yep. This is really bad. It's one thing to have the boss shielded multiple times, but to have it down for such a short amount of time makes the fight a drag.

Were you able to beat the bonus boss? My group just couldn't.
We didn't do the steps for it. I don't think anybody wanted to stay longer after 40 minutes in there.

I tried Tython HM, but we couldn't get past the first boss. The shields just wouldn't come down on the 2 on the right. The two on the left, near the broken taxi, were fine, but the ones on the right were completely oblivious to the orbital strike from the boss.

I finally get some time to play alot of the expansion, and the lag is making it unplayable. Takes like 4 seconds just to open my character sheet or inventory

I finally get some time to play alot of the expansion, and the lag is making it unplayable. Takes like 4 seconds just to open my character sheet or inventory

Yep, it's bad. Rishi isn't so bad, but Yavin 4 is really unpleasant. And just think: it was even worse the first day the expansion was out; I killed full groups of enemies during lag spikes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I messed around with a few chars quickly today, and it does seem like the new progression system is pretty good. Characters get important skills/mechanics earlier, and specs seem to be a bit more clearly defined into what skills they use and what passive support those skills.

Overall a good step, I'd say.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I tried Tython HM, but we couldn't get past the first boss. The shields just wouldn't come down on the 2 on the right. The two on the left, near the broken taxi, were fine, but the ones on the right were completely oblivious to the orbital strike from the boss.

I had the bug once a few weeks ago, I don't think it's related to the xpac.

Moff

Jesus fucking Christ Sages/Sorcs are insane.

in pvp or pve? the healers?
I have to admit the new passive skills sounds insane, affliction that can slow enemies and many new ways to CC enemies, including the good old instant whirlwind, definitely make me eager to play pvp again.

Heysoos

in pvp or pve? the healers?
I have to admit the new passive skills sounds insane, affliction that can slow enemies and many new ways to CC enemies, including the good old instant whirlwind, definitely make me eager to play pvp again.

pvp though this was sub 60 pvp.

Yavin is still lagging like crazy on The Harbinger.

Yep. I was able to switch to an instance with only 12 people, and that helped immensely. Still, it's odd that an instance with only about 40 people can be so laggy.

On the plus side, it's nice that they fixed the boss. I had a bunch of alts at the boss that I just ran through, so now I need to take a break.

StudioTan

Finished the expansion today on my Smuggler, I really enjoyed it. Great job BW! I especially like that you can repeat the end fight solo once a week, that's pretty neat.

Yavin is just beautiful even if it's small, as is Rishi. My gf who played the game at launch with me saw it and said "if the whole game looked like that I wouldn't have quit". She basically left because basically every planet was war torn and everything was related to military. That was at launch, most of the stuff they've added since then has been more typical SW fantasy instead of military.

I don't know if any of you listen to the Ootinicast podcast but one of the guys on the show got a tour of BW when he was there from Australia for the Las Vegas cantina and was only able to say that he was extremely excited about next year based on what he saw, that SoR was just the tip of the iceberg and they have really big stuff planned. He mentioned this before the expansion was released. This was before the little press thing they did where Hickman basically said the same thing.

I know this year was kind of slow with some big lulls but based on the quality of the cinematics and environments in SoR that gets me very excited for the future of the game.

Cystm

Alright, this expansion is rad so far. I just finished the prelude and am starting on Rishi.

The locales are all very atmospheric and top notch. When the Manaan theme kicked in I got sucked in. I only wish they had made Manaan more explorable.

Rishi is amazing.

I'm blowing through all sorts of mats trying to get Aug Kits and Augments to get all my gear set up. I'm close though, I think I only need one or two more Overkill augs plus a few kits.

It's gonna be expensive as hell. :(

EDIT: And it was. Dem stats tho:
swtor2014-12-0921-42-cxxsy.png

KePoW

Banned
I'm blowing through all sorts of mats trying to get Aug Kits and Augments to get all my gear set up. I'm close though, I think I only need one or two more Overkill augs plus a few kits.

It's gonna be expensive as hell. :(

EDIT: And it was. Dem stats tho:

hey where is ur character name from??

Moff

so I got back in but I am close to quit again. it just can't be that this game runs worse the better my hardware gets, it's such a stuttery mess. Performance definitely got worse over time. and now, with the gtx780. I even have severe popups I never had before.
the crappy engine was my biggest problem with this game from the start, and I dont even care that this game is not pretty, but it just can't be that games like Far Cry 4 look super crisp on 1440p and run buttersmooth and SWTOR is such a stuttery mess. it has reached the point where I can't play it for a minute witthout being annoyed and frustrated because of the super poor performance.

I'll google some tweaks when I get home but if I cant get it to run smooth I'm done for good.

so I got back in but I am close to quit again. it just can't be that this game runs worse the better my hardware gets, it's such a stuttery mess. Performance definitely got worse over time. and now, with the gtx780. I even have severe popups I never had before.
the crappy engine was my biggest problem with this game from the start, and I dont even care that this game is not pretty, but it just can't be that games like Far Cry 4 look super crisp on 1440p and run buttersmooth and SWTOR is such a stuttery mess. it has reached the point where I can't play it for a minute witthout being annoyed and frustrated because of the super poor performance.

I'll google some tweaks when I get home but if I cant get it to run smooth I'm done for good.
I installed the new AMD catalyst omega drivers today. Got a nice fps increase on Yavin. Seemed like the game runs better as a whole now. Still gotta test it out to make sure it's not a placebo effect.

Top Bottom