• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
so I got back in but I am close to quit again. it just can't be that this game runs worse the better my hardware gets, it's such a stuttery mess. Performance definitely got worse over time. and now, with the gtx780. I even have severe popups I never had before.
the crappy engine was my biggest problem with this game from the start, and I dont even care that this game is not pretty, but it just can't be that games like Far Cry 4 look super crisp on 1440p and run buttersmooth and SWTOR is such a stuttery mess. it has reached the point where I can't play it for a minute witthout being annoyed and frustrated because of the super poor performance.

I'll google some tweaks when I get home but if I cant get it to run smooth I'm done for good.

I have an R9 280 and I see stutters in SWTOR whereas games like Wolfenstein and Arkham Origins run buttery smooth. I'm chalking it up to the need to constantly be streaming data from the server, because I don't see any reason why the game should be stuttering based on its graphics.

That being said it's never too bad that I've considered quitting; it's just small micro-judder here and there.

Necrovex

I wish that 'story mission to 50' was still going on. Finally on my long vacation before I work again in late January, and I would have loved to plow through the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior class.

Kai

So quick question...

I stopped playing back when this was a subscription game and was level 45ish. The Revan stuff really has me thinking about playing again. Am I able to just download the client and start from where I was and continue into the Revan expansion or do I need to go through other content first?

Sorry - its been so long and could use a bit of a refresher and help with what I am supposed to do.

Moff

So quick question...

I stopped playing back when this was a subscription game and was level 45ish. The Revan stuff really has me thinking about playing again. Am I able to just download the client and start from where I was and continue into the Revan expansion or do I need to go through other content first?

Sorry - its been so long and could use a bit of a refresher and help with what I am supposed to do.

you will start exactly where you left the game
but you need to level to 55 first to get to the revan stuff

Heysoos

So quick question...

You can just continue where you left off, however you need to finish up to chapter 3, which is your main storyline and do a certain line of Flashpoints quests which are soloable. I'm not sure if there's a level 55 requirement but you pretty much have to be around that level for the new planets.

kmz

Neo Member
As far as I know the only hardline requirement for Shadow of Revan is that you're level 55.

If you've finished your class story you get an extra sidequest, and if you do the prelude stuff you get extra gear but in theory you could just travel to Rishi manually at level 55 and start the quest line that way.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
As far as I know the only hardline requirement for Shadow of Revan is that you're level 55.

If you've finished your class story you get an extra sidequest, and if you do the prelude stuff you get extra gear but in theory you could just travel to Rishi manually at level 55 and start the quest line that way.

No, you have to do the 4 flashpoints first, they are considered part of the story. You can do them solo the first time with the jesus droid to help.

vilmer_

I wanted to come back and try out this expansion and then I realized that I received a couple of emails last month with some things that you really don't want to see regarding your account. First there was an email asking to recover my display name, and then this one:

Your account on the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ website has been successfully updated! Remember, we have also updated your EA account using this email address.

I've had an authenticator tied to my account since day one. Shit...

No, you have to do the 4 flashpoints first, they are considered part of the story. You can do them solo the first time with the jesus droid to help.
You don't have to. When you talk to the initial NPC on Rishi it will even tell you on the bottom if you're willing to skip the prelude and get directly into the Rishi content. I saw this on the SWTOR stream last friday.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You don't have to. When you talk to the initial NPC on Rishi it will even tell you on the bottom if you're willing to skip the prelude and get directly into the Rishi content. I saw this on the SWTOR stream last friday.

Oh really? I just remember my guild mates complaining on launch day that they had to do the flashpoints. I've only completed the expansion on a character that had already done them all.

I wanted to come back and try out this expansion and then I realized that I received a couple of emails last month with some things that you really don't want to see regarding your account. First there was an email asking to recover my display name, and then this one:

I've had an authenticator tied to my account since day one. Shit...

That sounds bad :/

Oh really? I just remember my guild mates complaining on launch day that they had to do the flashpoints. I've only completed the expansion on a character that had already done them all.
Even I was surprised as I was under the same impression as your guild mates. They should've made it known to players.

That's lame, cause the email you get tells you to start the expansion on the ship, which only tells you to do the prelude if you haven't done it yet. Nothing about being able to go straight to Rishi

DrAg0nBoY

So I am thinking about trying out this game. Is anyone from Europe and plays on the EU servers? And are there classes with which I would have a hard time getting in a party (like not good or there a too many people playing that class)?

StudioTan

So I am thinking about trying out this game. Is anyone from Europe and plays on the EU servers? And are there classes with which I would have a hard time getting in a party (like not good or there a too many people playing that class)?

Most of us are on the US servers I think but the Red Eclipse seems to be the most popular EU server unless you'd prefer the French or German ones.

All the classes are viable but tanks and healing are always in higher demand and if you're using the group finder you'll likely get quicker pops than if you're DPS. Just play what you like though.

StudioTan

Eric Musco posted some goals for what BioWare wants to do with the servers next year.

Wonder if this just means we're getting megaservers.

Yeah, that's what is sounds like. Some sort of single server tech that allows you to keep your character name. That would mean I could actually play with GAFers at some point.

While the story was much better, it kinda feels like SoR is a smaller expansion than RoTHC.

Part of it comes from two completely different experiences for Pub and Empire with the last expansion, playing both sides was mostly unique quest content, locations, and separate stories. You had to play both to get the whole experience. SoR is nicer presentation and better story, but it feels short compared to the last expansion. Hutt Cartel also added more content in the form of the long Shroud quest line, the Dreadmaster dread seed quest line, and the seeker/binoc activities.

The unique class story is nice touch though. Makeb story was just filler, this is actual continuation

Yeah, that's what is sounds like. Some sort of single server tech that allows you to keep your character name. That would mean I could actually play with GAFers at some point.

Assume it will be several megaservers. To keep the pvp, pve, and rp stuff contained. Something like WoW did where players from any server could spawn in the same instance and keep their unique name.

Felspawn

I'm thinking of re-subbing to the game, havent played since RotHC. Honestly i am so out of practice i'm thinking of starting fresh and making a new sith assassin. how is the "state of the game" currently.

StudioTan

I'm thinking of re-subbing to the game, havent played since RotHC. Honestly i am so out of practice i'm thinking of starting fresh and making a new sith assassin. how is the "state of the game" currently.

Population is healthy and the new expansion just dropped so there was likely a bit of a bump as well. Not sure about the leveling population, before the expansion there was a month of 12x XP so a lot of people leveled alts during that time but I'm sure there are still enough people at the lower levels to find groups if you want.

We don't know much if anything about their 2015 plans but rumours are that they have some big stuff planned which makes sense as they'll be renewed interest with the new Star Wars film coming out next year.

If you were at all thinking about starting fresh even more inclined since they changed the way classes work with the last patch, the skill trees are gone and replaced with a disciplines system. The classes are basically the same as the old trees but there are no hybrid classes any more and some skills have been changed, removed and/or added.

The biggest additions since you played would be the mini-expansions Galactic Starfighter which is free flying space PVP and Galactic Strongholds which is their housing system. They've also added 2 new daily areas with a new planet Oricon and CZ-198 which is in the Czerka labs. Oricon also added 2 new raids. On top of that they've added a bunch of new flashpoints, 4 of which are the story leading up to the expansion. 2 of those take place on new planets Manaan and Rakata Prime. Almost forgot Guild ships and Galactic Conquests. By doing various activities you gain conquest points, if you reach the weekly goal you get some credits, crafting mats and harvesting nodes for your house. If you're in a guild with a capital ship they can try to conquer planets and all the points from everyone in the guild is added to your score. Top 10 guilds per planet get additional rewards and the top guild for that planet gets a Conqueror of <Planet> title as well as some other perks.

They've also added a few QoL improvements, the biggest for me being the Legacy cargo hold you can get for your stronghold that all your alts have access too. There's probably more that I'm forgetting but that's the big stuff, including the new expansion which is quite good and $20.

Ashodin

I have to agree, the updates and qol for SWTOR is much better than it was at launch, and goddamn, so many planets added haha

Moff

just realized that there arent reusable stims, medpacs and adrenals anymore

the history of biochem nerfs in this game is long and sad, it's a showcase for biowares inability to create a good MMO.

instead of making other professions fun or useful, they just nerfed biochem more and more and more. but everytime it was still the best profession, it was even funny to a certain degree.

so they nerfed it more and more, but witthout making other prfessions useful, most people still picked biochem. it's baffling to me they didnt understand that. how can you understand your own game so little?

so now they have reached the point where you have next to zero advantage of being a biochemist. you can still use the old reusables. I wonder if they make them unusable for level 60 characters in the near future if they notice that some people keep biochem for those reusables.

since when? i still have the ones i made in on my biomed characters, or are you talking about current level 60 versions?

They didn't make new reusables for lvl 60. The old ones still work. Instead they made it that the new high end stuff typically will give you more output when you make them, believe you get 6 in a stack now or such instead of just one.

StudioTan

just realized that there arent reusable stims, medpacs and adrenals anymore

the history of biochem nerfs in this game is long and sad, it's a showcase for biowares inability to create a good MMO.

instead of making other professions fun or useful, they just nerfed biochem more and more and more. but everytime it was still the best profession, it was even funny to a certain degree.

so they nerfed it more and more, but witthout making other prfessions useful, most people still picked biochem. it's baffling to me they didnt understand that. how can you understand your own game so little?

so now they have reached the point where you have next to zero advantage of being a biochemist. you can still use the old reusables. I wonder if they make them unusable for level 60 characters in the near future if they notice that some people keep biochem for those reusables.

That's exactly the point though, biochem was just way more useful than anything else. How are you going to make artifice just as compelling for example? Forcing people to take certain choices because they are "the best" is not a good thing for an MMO.

Moff

That's exactly the point though, biochem was just way more useful than anything else. How are you going to make artifice just as compelling for example? Forcing people to take certain choices because they are "the best" is not a good thing for an MMO.

of course that's the point. I hope my post shows that I am aware of that. it's just ridicoulus to see the small steps bioware took over these three years, trying to balance it.

although I'm sure they could have made artifice better. how about a stronger crystal for mainhand weapons? wow found ways to make all professions useful, of course it was never perfectly balanced. but what is in an MMO? classes are never balanced either.

although wow abandoned the profession perks with the new addon, I'm sure whoever was in charge of profession balance at SWTOR let out a sigh of relief when he heard that. no they no longer care about making professions interesting either.

StudioTan

of course that's the point. I hope my post shows that I am aware of that. it's just ridicoulus to see the small steps bioware took over these three years, trying to balance it.

although I'm sure they could have made artifice better. how about a stronger crystal for mainhand weapons? wow found ways to make all professions useful, of course it was never perfectly balanced. but what is in an MMO? classes are never balanced either.

although wow abandoned the profession perks with the new addon, I'm sure whoever was in charge of profession balance at SWTOR let out a sigh of relief when he heard that. no they no longer care about making professions interesting either.

Biochem is still useful, all the professions are, it's just now they're more equal. I don't think buffing every other crafting profession is a practical solution or a good use of their time when this solution really don't make a huge difference in the end.

Frankly I couldn't give a crap about WoW, one of the most boring MMOs I've ever played.

Moff

Biochem is still useful, all the professions are, it's just now they're more equal. I don't think buffing every other crafting profession is a practical solution or a good use of their time when this solution really don't make a huge difference in the end.
oh I think it does, in my opinion its much better to give all professions a balanced benefit than just giving no profession a benefit. because it's fun.

calling wow boring is sure weird, though. I think the games are extremely similiar. and bioware doesnt stop copying wow as they both evolve.

StudioTan

oh I think it does, in my opinion its much better to give all professions a balanced benefit than just giving no profession a benefit. because it's fun.

calling wow boring is sure weird, though. I think the games are extremely similiar. and bioware doesnt stop copying wow as they both evolve.

They're superficially similar in certain aspects but they share those similarities with many MMOs, both before and after WoW, there are more differences than similarities. Not going to go down that path though, I'm not going to change your opinion and you're not going to change mine.

I don't agree with your other point either, I don't know what's fun about reusable stims. It's just an unbalanced perk. If you want fun stuff then it needs to be cosmetic and not providing stats or aid in battle.

Moff

but SWTOR doesnt have such "cosmetic fun" in their professions either? :) they are just useless

and with fun I didnt mean cosmetic fluff. the professions (in wow, and biochem in swtor) felt fun and useful because they provided advantages. they were important and felt like an integral part of the game. it's ok if you want them to be useless, it's a valid opinion. but personally, I dont care about them anymore.

and the way bioware nerfed biochem in many little steps witthout ever buffing other professions just shows how little they understand the genre or even their own game.

but SWTOR doesnt have such "cosmetic fun" in their professions either? :) they are just useless

and with fun I didnt mean cosmetic fluff. the professions (in wow, and biochem in swtor) felt fun and useful because they provided advantages. they were important and felt like an integral part of the game. it's ok if you want them to be useless, it's a valid opinion. but personally, I dont care about them anymore.

and the way bioware nerfed biochem in many little steps witthout ever buffing other professions just shows how little they understand the genre or even their own game.

For casual players, pretty much was no reason to play anything but biochem because of the direct play advantages. I don't think the Nerf is that bad though, still incredibly useful, but still would love a general crafting revamp, not just adding new tiers of the same items. Need each crew skill to have unique things that further set them apart.

Dunlop

I wanted to try this game out again but am completely stuck as I do not remember my password and no longer have the authenticator.

I'm going around in circles trying to get in lol

Felspawn

That's exactly the point though, biochem was just way more useful than anything else.

Yep, before i took a break from the game ALL of my characters had switched and re-leveled their tradeskills into Biomed. I'm actually glad to see its not so 1sided anymore. My new Assassin might switch over to Artifice ;)

Dunlop

I seem to recall trying to F2P and quitting because you were only allowed 2 characters and I had a max Sith Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter

hopefully that is not still the case as I would have no clue what to do with either character and want to start over

Felspawn

i dont recall how many you can have a a strictly F2P person but anyone that is a prefered person (IE not a subscriber but has been one in the past or at least has bought a few CC) can have 6. i feel the same way about starting over, ended up making a fresh Sith Assassin on Ebon Hawk.

Top Bottom