• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Cystm

that's the first SWTOR thread on GAF with zero "this game sucks so much" comments, I didn't think I'd ever see that day, but I guess the word has spread that the f2p model is actually not that terrible.

I think I saw that as a tagline in the new ad.

Heysoos

i got two for the account. should tide me over for a while.

so i am on Jedi Covenant. i assume i have to be a certain level to join the guild

Nope, but the GAF guild is on Republic side only.

Well, there is an Imp GAF guild but it's only used to park alts.

Baskcm

so set up a jedi knight on the jedi convent server despite having loads of chars on Tomb of Freedon Nadd so i might join up with the gaf guild

iosefe

cool im on now same name as here

also if theres anyone online who could shoot me a guild invite

just did a name search for baskcm, no match

if you could seach out iosefus, he's at the very start and moving to the padawan camp

*just realized it isn't a user search. i think.

that's the first SWTOR thread on GAF with zero "this game sucks so much" comments, I didn't think I'd ever see that day, but I guess the word has spread that the f2p model is actually not that terrible.
There was still a mention of KOTOR 3 though.

Can't win them all I guess.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
i'm still on tython, going well enough. i'm liking it better than what i remember of the consular start

Consular is one of the worst class stories.

iosefe

whoops

welp, just finished Tython, now to choose sentinel and be on my way.

how do disciplines work? am i able to switch disciplines or once i chose a path i'm set?

whoops

welp, just finished Tython, now to choose sentinel and be on my way.

how do disciplines work? am i able to switch disciplines or once i chose a path i'm set?

You can switch at will on fleet and maybe on Coruscant for free if you are a sub. You can also buy a legacy unlock for 200k? and you can respec anywhere. For Preffered and F2P I think the first time per week is free then they start charging, not a lot I think.

iosefe

You can switch at will on fleet and maybe on Coruscant for free if you are a sub. You can also buy a legacy unlock for 200k? and you can respec anywhere. For Preffered and F2P I think the first time per week is free then they start charging, not a lot I think.

sounds good

what is recommendd though. Watchman, or combat, or concentration?

sounds good

what is recommendd though. Watchman, or combat, or concentration?

I haven't done a lot of sentinel, my pub main is a dps guardian. But usually Watchman has a little more survivability and is a bit easier to play than combat, though combat probably outputs more damage. Focus/concentration is a more AOE oriented spec as apposed to single target for the first two. Most sents I know are watchman.

Ah man, that's awesome. Jarael's Tunics had dropped down to like 500k just a few days ago, but just today I was able to sell one for 1.8m.

I wanted out of the ones I bought so desperately I don't regret not buying them for so cheap.

Shame it just went right into my escrow account, though. Sitting at 11m I can't touch. :(

wasn't it that the Jedi Knight story was based on the KotOR 3 pitch?
Yeah but I think someone also said they wished Bioware would take all the storylines and put them into a single player game and call it KOTOR3.

I might be mistaken though as I only skimmed the thread.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
wasn't it that the Jedi Knight story was based on the KotOR 3 pitch?

And some aspects of the Sith Warrior's. One specific example provided was from Tattooine
where you have a peyote experience in the desert and fight your ghost-self to solidify your destiny and realize your name is Darth Mua'dib

KePoW

Banned
Quick question, because I haven't played since the Discipline system

Did that reduce the active number of abilities? Because the only major thing I disliked about the game has always been way too many fucking active abilities bloat

You had to hotkey like 20 different spells for every class, it's just a pain

Giolon

Quick question, because I haven't played since the Discipline system

Did that reduce the active number of abilities? Because the only major thing I disliked about the game has always been way too many fucking active abilities bloat

You had to hotkey like 20 different spells for every class, it's just a pain

For some classes, yes (Sharpshooter Gunslinger and Combat Sentinel have a few less), for others, no. (Seer Consular actually has more).

In general, they haven't done a massive skill consolidation. What the Disciplines mostly did is get rid of throwaway talents like +2% crit/hit and prevent truly bad talent builds from being made. The mandatory path is going to give you 90% of everything you must have to be effective. Most of the Discipline ability selections are for utility.

Overall, I consider it an improvement. The old talent trees were filled with a lot of false choice (i.e. for any given talent spec there was basically 1 or 2 ways to build your class, otherwise you were gimped to shit).

KePoW

Banned
For some classes, yes (Sharpshooter Gunslinger and Combat Sentinel have a few less), for others, no. (Seer Consular actually has more).

In general, they haven't done a massive skill consolidation. What the Disciplines mostly did is get rid of throwaway talents like +2% crit/hit and prevent truly bad talent builds from being made. The mandatory path is going to give you 90% of everything you must have to be effective. Most of the Discipline ability selections are for utility.

Overall, I consider it an improvement. The old talent trees were filled with a lot of false choice (i.e. for any given talent spec there was basically 1 or 2 ways to build your class, otherwise you were gimped to shit).

Ok thx for the straight answer

I hope in the future they consider how a lot of games/MMOs are going toward less active abilities

Doing Gree so much is really taking its toll on me. I'm just constantly pounding out the dailies, and not only that, did the one-time quest from the Gray Secant on several characters.

Not sure if I want to get enough rep items to be able to get the armor, or just keep going for as long as I can...

iosefe

the game has got me good. i have no idea how many hours i've spent. only level 24 though. finishing up Taris before going to Nar shadda

Heysoos

the game has got me good. i have no idea how many hours i've spent. only level 24 though. finishing up Taris before going to Nar shadda

If you need any gear for your companions or for yourself I can craft quick greens. :) Also feel free to use the many XP boosts that are in the guild bank.

iosefe

If you need any gear for your companions or for yourself I can craft quick greens. :) Also feel free to use the many XP boosts that are in the guild bank.

unfortunately, i don't have sufficient coins to access yet. only 260. i got a 20 and i'll see if i can find a coin card somewhere

Doing Gree so much is really taking its toll on me. I'm just constantly pounding out the dailies, and not only that, did the one-time quest from the Gray Secant on several characters.

Not sure if I want to get enough rep items to be able to get the armor, or just keep going for as long as I can...
I've finished the rep grind last year for Gree. Only thing I do for Gree now is just Xeno on SM and HM for the tokens.

So that datamined black-purple crystal is indeed a subscriber perk.

http://www.swtor.com/choose-your-path

Gotta be subbed on March 29th, 2015 to get it. They give you an entire set of them though for each stat. Wish it was more than this.

That's not all though. They're giving away 7 days of free game time for previous subscribers until March 29th.

http://www.swtor.com/choose-your-path/rejoin

They also came out with a Story Pack for purchase. It includes:

Shadow of Revan Expansion – Level Cap to 60
Rise of the Hutt Cartel Expansion – Level Cap to 55
60 Days of Subscription Game Time
2400 Cartel Coins to spend in the Cartel Market

All for $39.99. Pretty good deal for those who want it.

dekjo

So that datamined black-purple crystal is indeed a subscriber perk.

http://www.swtor.com/choose-your-path

Gotta be subbed on March 29th, 2015 to get it. They give you an entire set of them though for each stat. Wish it was more than this.

That's not all though. They're giving away 7 days of free game time for previous subscribers until March 29th.

http://www.swtor.com/choose-your-path/rejoin

They also came out with a Story Pack for purchase. It includes:

Shadow of Revan Expansion – Level Cap to 60
Rise of the Hutt Cartel Expansion – Level Cap to 55
60 Days of Subscription Game Time
2400 Cartel Coins to spend in the Cartel Market

All for $39.99. Pretty good deal for those who want it.

I dived in. Never played an MMO before, but did all the KOTOR and heard enough good things about the imperial agent questline that I figured I'd give this a try.

So what's the best use of the 2400 cartel coins for someone just joining the game? Saw someone mention rocket boots earlier on this page, but I can't find those.

I dived in. Never played an MMO before, but did all the KOTOR and heard enough good things about the imperial agent questline that I figured I'd give this a try.

So what's the best use of the 2400 cartel coins for someone just joining the game? Saw someone mention rocket boots earlier on this page, but I can't find those.
You can purchase the Rocket Boost under Global Unlocks > Other once you gain access to your Legacy at level 10. They're labeled under Convenience. There's the initial Rocket Boost and then the two upgrades. Make sure you purchase the entire line.

Other than that what you spend the rest on is up to you.

Just did the story deal for 40. Back in for a bit.

Can my wife get invited to the guild?

Who would I message about this?

Also, are there any good glass guides that go over rotation and application of that rotation? I'm used to the WoW community where you can find tons of indepth knowledge and I haven't really seen that with SWTOR. I'm trying to figure out a good way to level with my classes. It feels like there's a lot of abilities that I'll just ditch later, and I'm trying to make sure I actually keep the most relevant stuff on my bars.

Milly79

Who would I message about this?

Also, are there any good glass guides that go over rotation and application of that rotation? I'm used to the WoW community where you can find tons of indepth knowledge and I haven't really seen that with SWTOR. I'm trying to figure out a good way to level with my classes. It feels like there's a lot of abilities that I'll just ditch later, and I'm trying to make sure I actually keep the most relevant stuff on my bars.

http://dulfy.net/category/swtor/3-0-class-guides/

Top Bottom