• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

We got it, homie. I preciate it. :)

So how does PVP work? is it brackets or is everyone brought up to the same level?
It is in brackets. Low level players get bolstered up inside Warzones. Higher level players still have an advantage in terms of number of abilities to use but not enough to make it unbalanced.

Heysoos

We got it, homie. I preciate it. :)

So how does PVP work? is it brackets or is everyone brought up to the same level?

Also, are there any other saber crystals besides the 41 point ones? Or is that as high as it goes, even at max level?

haha, yeah it was me that invited you. :p

But yeah, brackets. 10-29, 30-59, and 60s. On the lower brackets, stats are somewhat normalized with expertise bolster, but it gets kind of bad for lower leveled player on the middle bracket as high leveled players tend to have better stats and obviously more of their attacks.

And 41 is the highest.

iosefe

Yep, give endurance to your tank. The Revan chest and robes can net you a good amount of cash if you don't want to use them.

i dunno about selling and trading em. they guy who gave em was really generous. and it wouldn't feel right. i'll probably just use all the items on my Shadow.

i'll be the Shadow of Revan

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Live stream finally happening this friday. They'll be talking about Ziost and update 3.2.

shiba5

I reinstalled this last night after not playing since the first server mergers. I have no idea what is going on anymore so I just started a new character, and I haven't subbed yet.
Is the GAF guild only Republic? I only have an Agent at the moment because I thought the story was good but never finished it.

Cystm

I reinstalled this last night after not playing since the first server mergers. I have no idea what is going on anymore so I just started a new character, and I haven't subbed yet.
Is the GAF guild only Republic? I only have an Agent at the moment because I thought the story was good but never finished it.

GAF Empire is an Alt only graveyard. I am the only one that is ever on Empire.

Dem Scrublords are all Pub. Even though they get worked in PvP.

shiba5

GAF Empire is an Alt only graveyard. I am the only one that is ever on Empire.

Dem Scrublords are all Pub. Even though they get worked in PvP.

Ha, well if you see me on, I'm Shiiba - all my names got taken so I had to go with a dopey spelling. I spent half an hour trying to find a new name it would accept.

KePoW

Banned
Ha, well if you see me on, I'm Shiiba - all my names got taken so I had to go with a dopey spelling. I spent half an hour trying to find a new name it would accept.

u can use apostrophes in SWTOR

where does your GAF name shiba come from anyway??

shiba5

u can use apostrophes in SWTOR

where does your GAF name shiba come from anyway??

I have Shiba Inus!
Edit: It's also my Live account.

Kato11_03.jpg

Anyone else enjoy playing the GTN? Everyone in my guild turns their nose up at it, but there's a real thrill to see the stuff you've invested in go up in price.

It's especially nice to make 1.5-2m profit on buying and selling hypercrates. :D

Anyone else enjoy playing the GTN? Everyone in my guild turns their nose up at it, but there's a real thrill to see the stuff you've invested in go up in price.

It's especially nice to make 1.5-2m profit on buying and selling hypercrates. :D

I buy cheap packs off the GTN, open them and resell the contents. With packs regularly going for 170-180k and plenty of stuff in them going for 500k+ to millions, it's easy money.

I buy cheap packs off the GTN, open them and resell the contents. With packs regularly going for 170-180k and plenty of stuff in them going for 500k+ to millions, it's easy money.

I don't even bother opening the crates at this point, since I usually end up losing my shirt doing it like that. I pretty much just stick to flipping the hypercrates, since prices fluctuate wildly on them.

Also, betting on slutty and edgy gear is always a safe bet. I bought dozens of Relaxed Tracksuit Jackets months ago for 10-20k a piece, and they have been paying off very well lately.

Looking at the 192 hilts on the GTN... I realize when I bought mine for 500k I got it for a hell of a deal. Sorta wanna get my DPS juggy with a 192 hilt, but I'm not devoted enough to playing her to drop 1.6+ mil on it...

H3xum

Well, I bought a 30 day sub and am going to start from scratch.

I won't get too needy and ask a bunch of "I'm new, what class do" questions, but I do have one that I would like to know.

I have 500 Cartel Coins. Is there anything that I should absolutely get with them to help a new guy out?

Haven't decided on whether or not I'll continue to pay or go f2p yet if that helps.

Cystm

Well, I bought a 30 day sub and am going to start from scratch.

I won't get too needy and ask a bunch of "I'm new, what class do" questions, but I do have one that I would like to know.

I have 500 Cartel Coins. Is there anything that I should absolutely get with them to help a new guy out?

Haven't decided on whether or not I'll continue to pay or go f2p yet if that helps.

Going places bundle. Rocket boots are essential.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
He's off in Heroes of the Storm land with me. Where you can PVP against different people every game and they put out patches and new stuff once a month instead of...you know, the alternative.

you should join us

Really though I think he said he's just taking a break for a bit IIRC.

ewww hots over dota? that's like choosing marvel heroes over diablo 2

Alur

It's like choosing "game with no boring monotony" over "game with boring monotony" before I can get to the good part, actually. Dat neverending laning so next level doe. You should try HOTS sometime.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's like choosing "game with no boring monotony" over "game with boring monotony" before I can get to the good part, actually. Dat neverending laning so next level doe. You should try HOTS sometime.

You're right man dota is the game with no boring monotony :).

On a more serious note though i've tried hots and it was fun for 1-2 games (actually it really wasn't, I remember us just running around until about the 15 minute mark where the game seemingly flipped a coin and one team's npcs killed the other team's base). But i just can't go back, it's like dota stripped of all depth and any semblance of individual skill (at least when i played like 9-10 months ago)--it was just way too anti-snowball to the extreme, felt like one of those rail shooters that I used to play at the arcade (but for MOBA's). Maybe they've changed it since then, but early alpha just left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyhow, I've been itching for an MMO lately, was thinking of coming back to SWTOR but then ESO dropped the sub fee so I hopped back into that. How is Shadow of Revan though? I preordered it back in October just for the leveling boost to see class stories, but then never actually played it lol.

Milly79

ewww hots over dota? that's like choosing marvel heroes over diablo 2

You're right man dota is the game with no boring monotony :).

On a more serious note though i've tried hots and it was fun for 1-2 games (actually it really wasn't, I remember us just running around until about the 15 minute mark where the game seemingly flipped a coin and one team's npcs killed the other team's base). But i just can't go back, it's like dota stripped of all depth and any semblance of individual skill (at least when i played like 9-10 months ago)--it was just way too anti-snowball to the extreme, felt like one of those rail shooters that I used to play at the arcade (but for MOBA's). Maybe they've changed it since then, but early alpha just left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyhow, I've been itching for an MMO lately, was thinking of coming back to SWTOR but then ESO dropped the sub fee so I hopped back into that. How is Shadow of Revan though? I preordered it back in October just for the leveling boost to see class stories, but then never actually played it lol.

28468-Taylor-swift-lol-gif-OMBg.gif

shiba5

I was pleasantly surprised by how many people are in the starting areas now. When I quit, everything (especially the Pub side) was a ghost town.
I'm enjoying it again so far.

I was pleasantly surprised by how many people are in the starting areas now. When I quit, everything (especially the Pub side) was a ghost town.
I'm enjoying it again so far.
It was a ghost town before they merged the servers. Having over 100+ servers a month after launch really really didn't help anything. The two sets of merges really helped the population out. Later levels/planets it gets a bit sparse but picks up every now and then.

shiba5

Is the Trooper class at all fun like the BH? Most of my old characters were Imps because the only class/story I could get into on Pub side was the Smuggler. The only one I haven't tried is the Trooper.

Is the Trooper class at all fun like the BH? Most of my old characters were Imps because the only class/story I could get into on Pub side was the Smuggler. The only one I haven't tried is the Trooper.
Troopers are fun. Think of it like a badass Stormtrooper that actually knows how to use his/her gun. No missing shots here! Their story has one good act which is the first. Acts II and III aren't as great as the first one but they're all right.

Problem with trooper story is that it's not really a single story. Each act is almost a self contained story which is essentially military themed operation. Unlike most other class stories which usually all comes together in the end or have recurring elements.

shiba5

I noticed they combined the class forums - like Gunslinger/Sniper, etc...
Does that mean they now play pretty much identical? So if I like the way the BH plays, I'll like the Trooper?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been away for years.

I noticed they combined the class forums - like Gunslinger/Sniper, etc...
Does that mean they now play pretty much identical? So if I like the way the BH plays, I'll like the Trooper?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been away for years.

They are identical across factions, the stories and visuals of the abilities are all that are different. Trooper lobs a grenade as one of his attacks, while for the BH he shoots a wrist rocket. They just look different, but are identical abilities that do the same thing.

shiba5

They are identical across factions, the stories and visuals of the abilities are all that are different. Trooper lobs a grenade as one of his attacks, while for the BH he shoots a wrist rocket. They just look different, but are identical abilities that do the same thing.

Thanks, I'll give it a try then.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Live stream is starting on Twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

EDIT:

Ziost looks great and everything is very story heavy. Glad they are going this route.

Coming with the next patch when you arrive on a planet it automatically unlocks all the travel points. Also you unlock quick travel points are automatically unlocked when you get near them. Also, quick travel cooldown is being reduced to 6 mins and as low as 0 if you buy the perks.

Outfit designer looks awesome. Basically you don't need to pull mods out any more You can buy up to 16 outfit slots (first is free) and can mix and match pieces between your outfits. The best thing is you don't need to carry the clothing with you.

StudioTan

3.2 is up on PTS right now!

Everything looks great! Love the QoL changes they made and hopefully they follow through on adding legacy datacrons.

Wish I could make it to the Anaheim Cantina event.

Ashodin

Live stream is starting on Twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

EDIT:

Ziost looks great and everything is very story heavy. Glad they are going this route.

Coming with the next patch when you arrive on a planet it automatically unlocks all the travel points. Also you unlock quick travel points are automatically unlocked when you get near them. Also, quick travel cooldown is being reduced to 6 mins and as low as 0 if you buy the perks.

Outfit designer looks awesome. Basically you don't need to pull mods out any more You can buy up to 16 outfit slots (first is free) and can mix and match pieces between your outfits. The best thing is you don't need to carry the clothing with you.

oh shit they're adding the transmog system like in WoW and GW2? awesome!

StudioTan

After playing a bit on PTS this is basically a continuation of the expansion. If this is the kind of story content we can expect in game updates it's a very good thing, even if there is a little extra gap between updates.

The outfit designer is still pretty buggy and doesn't work exactly as I thought, you can't mix and match between outfits (unless I haven't figured out how) but an outfit can be a single piece of clothing. However that uses up a whole outfit slot and matching to chest isn't working right with it at the moment.

Cost was 20k to unlock the slot and about 100k if your outfit has all 7 pieces, if you add less pieces the cost goes down.

The best part is not having to carry around all the clothing though, that's awesome.

Is there a rule or anything against posting screenshots from the PTS that might get your SWTOR account banned? I know it's a public server, but not sure if they still punish people for posting screens before the new content is actually out.

I'd like to post screens, but don't want to risk getting banned. :3

StudioTan

Is there a rule or anything against posting screenshots from the PTS that might get your SWTOR account banned? I know it's a public server, but not sure if they still punish people for posting screens before the new content is actually out.

I'd like to post screens, but don't want to risk getting banned. :3

Nope. You didn't sign an NDA, it's a public test server, anyone can install it.

You still might want to post links to the photos instead of the photos themselves in case anyone in this thread is trying to avoid spoiling it until it's live.

Alrighty, just wanted to make sure. Wasn't sure if there was something in the ToS that said you wouldn't post screens or anything from PTS.

Pretty proud of myself. Solo'd a heroic enemy on a character that isn't super well geared and that I'm not especially familiar with.

Minor area spoiler.

Also, here's a couple super high res screens that are pretty. Again, area spoilers.

http://abload.de/img/swtor2015-03-2120-45-5ruwx.png
http://abload.de/img/swtor2015-03-2120-46-s4u9b.png

EDIT: Not sure if anyone else saw, but apparently you no longer need to do the Czerka flashpoints to complete the Czerka weekly. They added a Heroic 2+ quest that has you killing an incredibly easy heroic enemy that replaces the flashpoints.

shiba5

I tried to run a Heroic +4 with a pug just now. 1 tank, 2 dps, and me healing. I thought, "How bad could it be?"
They all ran into the mobs, dps balls to the wall, and got creamed. They did this a couple times. Finally, I asked why the tank wasn't tanking.
Jedi Guardian says, "What's a tank?"

Oh. It's going to be one of those days.

Top Bottom