• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Sorry I missed this. Was eating then had to take my dog outside for some exercise. If you get on again, let me know.

I'm on now. Only going to be on for about an hour, so hopefully you can get me soon. Got an op going on my main server, or else I'd stick around longer.

What's your character name and guild name? I might just message you or keep an eye on the /who of your guild to see when you're online. lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You'll have to let me know what your character name is when you move over (you're moving over to Jedi Covenant, right?) I got some credits with you name on them for using my referral code. lol

I would if I knew I can keep the name. Won't know for sure until I do it I guess

Edit: so I can't take the Ziost quest on the ship, asked in the fleet why and people said you need to be 60. Well that's shit, I'm only like 1/4 into 59 too ugh

Do you have any rested XP? The solo flashpoints give pretty ridiculous amounts of XP when you have the rested bonus and kill everything.

Dailies and whatnot also give pretty good XP. Between Makeb, Oricon, Yavin, and CZ198 you should be able to get a good jump on level 60. It's sorta a hassle, but you get good money and rep items on top of that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do you have any rested XP? The solo flashpoints give pretty ridiculous amounts of XP when you have the rested bonus and kill everything.

Dailies and whatnot also give pretty good XP. Between Makeb, Oricon, Yavin, and CZ198 you should be able to get a good jump on level 60. It's sorta a hassle, but you get good money and rep items on top of that.

rested xp long gone. I skipped Oricon when I finished Makeb as I was told I should go straight to Revan stuff (and I hated the hutt cartel stuff anyway).

edit: you cant transfer between EU and US servers aparently... well thats pointless then >_>

Oricon, to me, probably has the best story of all the added content. It's just a shame that you can't complete it without doing ops. I really thought the dread masters were much cooler villains than Revan.

That sucks about the character transfer, though. How much time do you have invested in that server? If you don't have a WHOLE lot of time, it might be best to just cut your losses and start new on Jedi Covenant, especially if you want to do ops.

Finished Agent story, best writing and so many damn endings/choices that meant something. Puts other stories to shame.

Working on Sith Sorcerer now, once that's finished I'll probably take a break for a few months and come back and do Trooper/Smuggler.

Is there no way to add this purple core to my collections? I had the green core unlocked for all my characters but I like purple for my empire/darkside characters.

edit: Nvm, it's not listed under lightsaber crystal colors in collections, it's under the cartel pack.

So, I am digging the game so far, even though I am only Level 5. I don't know if I am ready to commit to subscribing, as I don't anticipate playing with the same passion and intensity as my WoW days. What are some of the benefits of subscribing?

So, I am digging the game so far, even though I am only Level 5. I don't know if I am ready to commit to subscribing, as I don't anticipate playing with the same passion and intensity as my WoW days. What are some of the benefits of subscribing?

Currently the big thing is 12x story XP. That makes it so you can hit 55 by only playing your class's story. There's also little cosmetic stuff like hiding head slot and unifying colors.

For crafting, you can queue up multiple things at a time, and have 3 crafting skills at once.

A lot of the perks for subscribing are in post-game though. You get the Rise of The Hutt Cartel expansion for free, as well as a decent amount of content that was released after that. You can also do operations, and on flashpoints you get unlimited rolls per week on the final boss drops. Removing item mods also costs less, which is EXTREMELY helpful.

Oh, and on top of that you aren't limited in how much money you can hold.

If you do plan on subbing, I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd use my referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/BHqcbN

I'd even throw you some credits if you're on Harbinger or Jedi Covenant.

Yeah subbing is a good deal if you're into the game.

This game has so many cosmetics, I really think they should integrate some of them into the game overtime. I could understand if this game was completely f2p but the raiding armor seems so uninspired compared to the cool shit through the cartel market. Weapons namely.

If you do plan on subbing, I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd use my referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/BHqcbN

I'd even throw you some credits if you're on Harbinger or Jedi Covenant.
You can count on that! I rolled Jedi Covenant, after asking here where the GAFfers were.

EDIT

A tech issue I'm having: The game seems to micro-stutter for me every few seconds. It's not game-breaking, but it happens enough to make me mad. Any ideas?

I'm running an i7-9390k, 16GB DDR3-1600, Intel SSD, and an MSI 660ti. Never had any issues with other games. I am running VSYNC and forcing Triple Buffering through nVidia's control panel, hoping that would fix it.

EDIT

I fixed it, using this post on the TOR forums.

Awesome, that'd be great. I'm hoping to get enough cartel coins to move my Jedi Shadow over so I can bring some mad DPS to any ops we might do. lol

Speaking of mad DPS, I parsed this just today on my main:

4kgcu84.png

I'm so proud of myself. :3

Is there a bank/vault storage, ala WoW? I received Republic Squadron Commander Pilot armor and Imperial Battle Ace Pilot armor for starting the game and I have no idea what it is for. RIght now, it's just taking up a lot of space in my inventory.

I don't think you get a cargo hold until you get to fleet. I think in the mean time you'll have to just mail stuff to yourself.

Hold on to that legacy gear though. You can use it to transfer mods between characters by putting it in your legacy storage (once you get your stronghold).

I don't think you get a cargo hold until you get to fleet. I think in the mean time you'll have to just mail stuff to yourself.
Good idea! Though I can't mail until I subscribe and/or spend real money in the game. :-/

Oh, one more question. Is there an auto-attack/white damage? It seems my Jedi will only attack when I am pressing a skill button. Right-clicking on an enemy doesn't do the trick, either. In WoW, right-clicking will start normal auto-attack/white damage.

Patryn

Good idea! Though I can't mail until I subscribe and/or spend real money in the game. :-/

Oh, one more question. Is there an auto-attack/white damage? It seems my Jedi will only attack when I am pressing a skill button. Right-clicking on an enemy doesn't do the trick, either. In WoW, right-clicking will start normal auto-attack/white damage.

No auto-attack, given the way that resources are spent/build.

Also important to note that F2P players need to buy access to the cargo hold, either through the Cartel Market with Cartel Coins or GTN.

Subscribers get free access to 1 cargo hold bay and can buy additional bays for low credit amounts.

I noticed I'm getting some people using my referral code. Not sure who here is, if it's just people lurking or what, but if you message me on either Jedi Covenant or Harbinger with your username I'd be more than happy to throw like 300k credits your way. You can message me on Vuffy on both servers. (Subs only!)

I noticed I'm getting some people using my referral code. Not sure who here is, if it's just people lurking or what, but if you message me on either Jedi Covenant or Harbinger with your username I'd be more than happy to throw like 300k credits your way. You can message me on Vuffy on both servers. (Subs only!)

Hey! I will message you :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So in 3.3 you'll be able to transfer WZ comms to alts? Nice.

"You buy a box of 99 comms for 99 comms and send to whatever alt you want."

Also ranked rewards are moving to a token system so you can spend them on whichever rewards you want until the end of the next season.

BioWare is having a livestream on June 3rd to show off the Yavin IV Stronghold and Togruta. Musco said they'll talk about other new stuff too but considering the Fallen Empire stuff is for E3 we might not get much.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
BioWare is having a livestream on June 3rd to show off the Yavin IV Stronghold and Togruta. Musco said they'll talk about other new stuff too but considering the Fallen Empire stuff is for E3 we might not get much.

That's still worth watching for me personally. Looking forward to both, especially the stronghold.

Patryn

So I'm continuing my Sith Warrior story, and I finally reached Balmorra. Early days, I know, but I've come to the conclusion that it really is basically impossible to not be at least a little evil.

Seriously, most of the NPC quest givers should have mustaches, because they need to twirl them given how often they talk about causing misery and death to the resistance.

I was hoping there'd be more of an air about how the Empire is better for these people, and here's why we think this, and the resistance is causing chaos, etc. But instead there doesn't really seem to be that nuance. Ironically, I feel like I got more justification for why the Empire isn't always a bad thing when playing my Republic characters when I encountered some defector here or there!

Having a hard time going through it.

On the bright side, I did appreciate that there was a bit of that nuance in the Black Talon FP, with the conversation with Satele where you basically say that you don't want to hurt anyone if they'll just give you what you want, and that her refusal is what leads to the storming, etc.

I will keep pushing on, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I do when I'm playing Republic.

Ashodin

Sith Inquisitor is way better for walking the line and resisting being evil than the warrior.

Spoiler
you can even defect and pretend to be empire still while being good

Sith Inquisitor is way better for walking the line and resisting being evil than the warrior.

Spoiler
you can even defect and pretend to be empire still while being good

I'm playing through my inquisitor right now but I thought warrior did a good job

Basically my Jasesa and Sith Warrior ended up trying to change the empire from within to be light sided. Good Jaesa mentions something about tracking down other like minded Sith and coordinating.

Certainly better than my JK and JC's evil options.

To me it seemed

Republic Good - going out of your way, being a good samaritan, ends don't justify the means
Republic Evil - for the greater good, killing instead of taking prisoner

Sith Good - just being normal, not being a dick
Sith Evil - MAIM KILL BURN

Patryn

I should state that it's not just the class story, it's also just the various Imperial side missions and the like. They're clearly a bit more tinged towards being evil as opposed to being closer to morally grey.

Hey! I will message you :)

Not sure if you've been trying to whisper me, as I haven't been on much, but if you use the in-game mail to send me a message, I'll toss you the money next time I'm on.

EDIT: Woot! The guild I'm in is #1 in conquest points on Harbinger! http://www.swtorconquest.com/guilds/290

For some reason the site hasn't updated the planets we got, though. We have way more than 8 planets conquered.

Patryn

So now that I finished my Trooper and the patch dropped, I have returned to my Consular in addition to my Sith Warrior.

As I've been focusing on the Warrior, I have just barely hit level 10 on my Consular. But I'm now troubled: Do I go Sage or Shadow?

I have a level 51 Sage, who was the first character I completed the story with. I actually really liked the class! It taught me that I like being heals.

However, I also kind of have been enjoying swinging that lightsaber.

So do I want to go Shadow and be a bit more melee class, or do I stick with Sage and try out one of the DPS specs?

How squishy are Shadows? How difficult are they to play?

If you go Infiltration, they're pretty easy to play, but they don't get their "assassin" skills until like level 24. Once they do, however, they sling some SERIOUS damage. That's when you get your backstab and Clairvoyant Strike. Clairvoyant Strike is more or less a replacement to your basic attack, but deals some serious damage.

They're also probably the most mobile of all the melee classes, so they're viable for pretty much all the operation bosses, if that's your thing.

And they're not too squishy, so long as you get the utility that increases their armor early on. It's a 30% armor buff, so it's pretty substantial. Playing with a tank companion pulls a little bit of the heat off you, but moreover, it lets you get in more backstabs, increasing your damage.

Murray97

Can you get through the whole class story without having to do any other content with the 12x xp boost?

Edit: Also does anyone have a referral link?

Patryn

Finished Balmorra with my Sith Warrior. Really starting to enjoy the character. Helps that I'm getting more chances to be merciful. It's also fun constantly talking smack to Darth Baras.

Got a kick when I ran into
Darth Lachris. Smiled and thought how much I'm going to enjoy killing her punk ass as my Jedi Sage again. Also enjoyed how you can kind of hint at her fall at the end of the Bonus series.

Sadly, I met the first character I totally would have killed if given the chance, but they didn't let me. The guy with the breathing problems who gives you a Heroic quest in Bugtown. Holy crap was he annoying. I was praying for a Force Choke dialogue option that never came. At least there was the option that was basically "I'll do your quest, just shut up!"

Not sure if you've been trying to whisper me, as I haven't been on much, but if you use the in-game mail to send me a message, I'll toss you the money next time I'm on.

EDIT: Woot! The guild I'm in is #1 in conquest points on Harbinger! http://www.swtorconquest.com/guilds/290

For some reason the site hasn't updated the planets we got, though. We have way more than 8 planets conquered.

Sure, whats your character name?

Finished inquisitor, standard fare, a lot of tedious running back and forth between planets compared to most classes.

So far I'd rank it:

Agent
Warrior
Jedi Knight
Bounty Hunter
Consular
Inquisitor

In terms of story enjoyment. Thinking of making another sentinel since I switched servers.

So what are sentinels/marauders so pissed off about? They seem to be harassing devs irl. Is it about dps numbers, gameplay rotation or pvp viability?

Patryn

Finished inquisitor, standard fare, a lot of tedious running back and forth between planets compared to most classes.

So far I'd rank it:

Agent
Warrior
Jedi Knight
Bounty Hunter
Consular
Inquisitor

In terms of story enjoyment. Thinking of making another sentinel since I switched servers.

So what are sentinels/marauders so pissed off about? They seem to be harassing devs irl. Is it about dps numbers, gameplay rotation or pvp viability?

Not that you asked, but my current ranking is:

Consular
Knight
Trooper

As for Sents/Maras: The impression I have is that they feel that they've been nerfed into oblivion. Looking around it sounds like a lot of groups are actually avoiding them because they're far too squishy and putting out lower damage compared to most other classes.

That's kind of funny, because I recall for a while there it seemed like they were by far the most popular class. I think it was the 2 lightsaber thing.

The impression I'm getting now, at least on Pub side, is that it's now Sage and Commando that's most popular.

Not that you asked, but my current ranking is:

Consular
Knight
Trooper

As for Sents/Maras: The impression I have is that they feel that they've been nerfed into oblivion. Looking around it sounds like a lot of groups are actually avoiding them because they're far too squishy and putting out lower damage compared to most other classes.

That's kind of funny, because I recall for a while there it seemed like they were by far the most popular class. I think it was the 2 lightsaber thing.

The impression I'm getting now, at least on Pub side, is that it's now Sage and Commando that's most popular.

It's interesting to see how people value stories differently. I couldn't get into sorceror so much because it seems to be playing up the palpatine angle and not leaving much room for anything else. Consular definitely strikes that jedi healer/diplomat angle, and makes my shadow feel weird and out of place. I did like the story a lot more act 2 onwards. A problem I had with both sith users story is it felt like I was fighting my own faction the entire time. Jedi Knight and Consular do a much better job of fighting the enemy.

That's disappointing about sentinel, though like all class change it probably won't be too long before someone else is bottom of the barrel. I like the class animations and armor, kicking myself for not buying the eradicator robes when they were on sale a few weeks back.

Patryn

It's interesting to see how people value stories differently. I couldn't get into sorceror so much because it seems to be playing up the palpatine angle and not leaving much room for anything else. Consular definitely strikes that jedi healer/diplomat angle, and makes my shadow feel weird and out of place. I did like the story a lot more act 2 onwards. A problem I had with both sith users story is it felt like I was fighting my own faction the entire time. Jedi Knight and Consular do a much better job of fighting the enemy.

That's disappointing about sentinel, though like all class change it probably won't be too long before someone else is bottom of the barrel. I like the class animations and armor, kicking myself for not buying the eradicator robes when they were on sale a few weeks back.

My one major knock on the Consular story is that the ends feels somewhat anticlimactic. I compare it to the end of the Knight or Trooper story and it's kind of this quiet thing.

Which I guess kind of fits the feel of the story, but I was hoping for something that felt a bit more definitive.

Ironically, I found the Consular final boss to be the most difficult of the three. The Trooper's final boss wasn't that hard, but at least his henchmen took a tiny bit of effort.

The Knight's final boss, despite who it is, was ironically the biggest chump of the three. I was forced into using a companion I hadn't used for dozens of hours and I still steamrolled the encounter.

Draxal

My one major knock on the Consular story is that the ends feels somewhat anticlimactic. I compare it to the end of the Knight or Trooper story and it's kind of this quiet thing.

Which I guess kind of fits the feel of the story, but I was hoping for something that felt a bit more definitive.

Ironically, I found the Consular final boss to be the most difficult of the three. The Trooper's final boss wasn't that hard, but at least his henchmen took a tiny bit of effort.

The Knight's final boss, despite who it is, was ironically the biggest chump of the three. I was forced into using a companion I hadn't used for dozens of hours and I still steamrolled the encounter.

He wasn't a chump before the nerf. Knights had to recruit full groups to take on that area, and they just took a sledgehammer to that in the post nerf.

Yea Knight final fight was nerfed big time, now it's laughably easy. It's silly too how crappy the fight is being supposedly one of the more epic moments of the game... at least it should have been.

Patryn

I can see why people would complain about needing to group up to finish a story mission. But then again, maybe they shouldn't have suddenly forced a specific companion onto the player right in the middle of the final mission, when it's a total PITA going back to where you could theoretically gear them up. Sure, towards the end of that you get appropriate gear but you have to cut through a lot of enemies to get to that point.

It's funny that actually the most epic boss fight in the game for me is at the beginning of the final mission of Act 2 for the Trooper.

The first major fight in that mission
has your entire squad fighting a boss alongside you.
Why they didn't do a similar mechanic for final bosses is beyond me.

Top Bottom