• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished the agent story, and got 50 (just barely heh). not sure what to do now, if continue to 60, or move on to another story (or witcher 3 for a bit)

the post-50 stuff is the same for every class right? it doesnt matter who you do it with?

Moff

the post-50 stuff is the same for every class right? it doesnt matter who you do it with?

there are some different dialogues in important cutscenes that refer your class missions and each class gets one exclusive class mission on rishi, but yeah, it's mostly the same

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
there are some different dialogues in important cutscenes that refer your class missions and each class gets one exclusive class mission on rishi, but yeah, it's mostly the same

Makeb is at least a different story for each faction.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finished Makeb. Its...ok. I mean, its fine, longer than I thought it would be, the story is well done, its just not very interesting. Certainly cant touch any of the actual class story before it... its a weird direction they are going, but not an unexpected one since, lets face it, nobody thought they would do 8 more stories everytime they launched a expansion. Still sucks tho.

Hopefully the Revan stuff is better, at least the subject matter is more interesting from the get-go.

Oh and going back to normal xp after 55 sucks :/ Guess Ill have to do every quest in the planet again to get to 60, oh well.

edit: well it starts with a cool solo flashpoint that gave me nice 55 gear so its already a better start lol

edit: man, at least single player wise, Shadow of Revan shits all over Hutt Cartel so far

edt: ill continue talking to myself (lol) but the prelude to shadow of revan stuff was great. I would be totally ok if the whole thing was just a bunch of solo flashpoints lol. In fact im actually kinda bummed they finally sent me to a planet (Rishi or whatever). Gues Ill have to do every sidequest if I hope to get to 60 with normal xp. But yeha, everything is much better than Hutt Cartel

Makeb stuff was kinda gap filler, it was neat that it had two stories in it players could play through, but it was just kinda side content. The dreadmaster stuff going on in endgame and Oricon had more impact it felt like. Little bit of Makeb's story does filter into Revan stuff, but for the most part Revan expansion felt like a real continuation of stuff started in the base game. It didn't feel like as much story content with the Revan expansion, which had only one storyline to play through this time, and they kinda padded it out with the flashpoints being part of the story this time.

Rhaknar

Makeb stuff was kinda gap filler, it was neat that it had two stories in it players could play through, but it was just kinda side content. The dreadmaster stuff going on in endgame and Oricon had more impact it felt like. Little bit of Makeb's story does filter into Revan stuff, but for the most part Revan expansion felt like a real continuation of stuff started in the base game. It didn't feel like as much story content with the Revan expansion, which had only one storyline to play through this time, and they kinda padded it out with the flashpoints being part of the story this time.

Makeb was a drag for me, and i didn't do the Oricon stuff. But I'm loving the revan stuff, the solo flashpoints are great to quickly gear up (much better than a artificial gear boost buff like in makeb). Let's just say that if / when I level the next class I will spacebar makeb furiously and most likely leave it as soon as I'm 55 and go straight for the Revan stuff

Also been trying the dot spec on my operative now and I like it more than the other dps spec (the more traditional rogue spec). Respecs on the fly are a must legacy purchase imo (but even those don't excuse the fact that there is no dual specs wtf)

Makeb was a drag for me, and i didn't do the Oricon stuff. But I'm loving the revan stuff, the solo flashpoints are great to quickly gear up (much better than a artificial gear boost buff like in makeb). Let's just say that if / when I level the next class I will spacebar makeb furiously and most likely leave it as soon as I'm 55 and go straight for the Revan stuff

Also been trying the dot spec on my operative now and I like it more than the other dps spec (the more traditional rogue spec). Respecs on the fly are a must legacy purchase imo (but even those don't excuse the fact that there is no dual specs wtf)

The odd Makeb buff thing was added I. For the Regan expansion, as you could only get 2-3 lvls doing the story, you had to do dailies content and other things to reach max level. So when Regan expansion hit they put in the update to boost XP and leveling so players could go straight into Regan content.

Rhaknar

Are there lvl 60 solo flashpoints also or what can a solo player do at 60?

Are there lvl 60 solo flashpoints also or what can a solo player do at 60?

No once you do Korriban/Tython/Manaan/Rakata and then the two new ones on Rishi solo with God Bot you can't do them solo again. Once you have a decent set of gear at 60, the L60 tactical FP's are a breeze.

For completely solo play, there are plenty or dailies and weeklies to build up comms and cash.

Rhaknar

What about group finder operations? Are those easy, at least in story mode?

Also are the evil robot and the ewok companions easy to get?

No once you do Korriban/Tython/Manaan/Rakata and then the two new ones on Rishi solo with God Bot you can't do them solo again. Once you have a decent set of gear at 60, the L60 tactical FP's are a breeze.

For completely solo play, there are plenty or dailies and weeklies to build up comms and cash.

Actually, they changed it so you can do the solo flashpoints once per day.

They're pretty good money, too, and damned good XP if you kill everything. (With rested bonus)

What about group finder operations? Are those easy, at least in story mode?

Also are the evil robot and the ewok companions easy to get?

They are easy depending which level you do, but all operations require some knowledge ahead of time of some of the mechanics to do that operation. The boss fights sometimes require specific steps or puzzles that everyone needs to know the proper way to handle. Some aspects especially lower level operations players can kinda power through because of now having higher level gear and such.

I'm thinking of firing this game up. All of the images are no longer valid in the OP. Is there a better server than others for me to start on? Any with a heavy GAF population? And should I roll PvP or PvE? I liked PvP in WoW, but it all depends on who I am playing with more than where.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm thinking of firing this game up. All of the images are no longer valid in the OP. Is there a better server than others for me to start on? Any with a heavy GAF population? And should I roll PvP or PvE? I liked PvP in WoW, but it all depends on who I am playing with more than where.

The GAF server is Jedi Covenant but I'm not on that server so I don't know how busy the guild is, someone else will need to answer that.

Don't roll on a PVP server though, I hear they're pretty dead.

Heysoos

The GAF server is Jedi Covenant but I'm not on that server so I don't know how busy the guild is, someone else will need to answer that.

Don't roll on a PVP server though, I hear they're pretty dead.

The guild is on it's last legs. I'm trying to revive it, and we still have enough activity to have the 20% XP bonus, but it's not the most active at the moment.

Patryn

Finally finished my Trooper class story.

It's funny that it's taken this long, because when the game launched the first character I made was a Trooper named Corlis, but I stopped in Act 2 when the urge to play a Jedi came on strong. Since then I've completed both the Consular and Jedi Knight stories, during which I made yet another stab at the Trooper with a new character. Finally about a month back I decided to say screw it, deleted my level 34 Corlis and started anew, remaking Corlis exactly. This time I made it all the way.

Playing it, I was reminded why I stopped. Act 1 is good and interesting, but I felt like after that Bioware had no idea what they wanted to do with the character. You have one really high moment (possibly the best part of the Trooper story, honestly) in the final mission of Act 2, but that's about it. The end of Act 3 is kind of disappointing, and the final villain never really had time to make too much of an impression. It's a slightl better end than the Consular story, but it kind of feels incomplete.

So of the characters I have played, my order goes Consular > Knight > Trooper.

Now I get to focus on my Sith Warrior. Thus far, I'm ambivalent. Korriban was kind of meh for me, and Dromund Kass is pretty but I'm not a fan of how the missions are flowing in terms of placements. I also noticed that Korriban feels tiny compared to Tython and Dromund Kass appears smaller than Coruscant.

Trooper didn't really have a story arc, each chapter is essentially it's own separate story. Chapter 1 wraps up the start of the story. Chapter 2 is all focused on another mission, and Chapter 3 then is a completely different mission, and very little connection between all three.

StudioTan

The guild is on it's last legs. I'm trying to revive it, and we still have enough activity to have the 20% XP bonus, but it's not the most active at the moment.

I wish you the best of luck of that, being a guild master is tough work.

Patryn

Trooper didn't really have a story arc, each chapter is essentially it's own separate story. Chapter 1 wraps up the start of the story. Chapter 2 is all focused on another mission, and Chapter 3 then is a completely different mission, and very little connection between all three.

Which is a shame, especially since Act 1 was the only act in which I really felt like I had personal stakes in the story.

The whole thing really feels like some afterthought.

It doesn't help that Consular does a great job giving meaning to the planetary quests and justifying why you're visiting all these places, and Jedi Knight is building up to the final confrontation with the Emperor (to its detriment... too much of its story is about just wasting time because it's not the end of the game yet, so you can't go fight him).

Rhaknar

I remember really liking the trooper story line back on vanilla, very "G.I Joe" like with assembling your crack special forces team

edit: finished Rishi on my agent, almost lvl 59. Yavin-4 next, not sure if I can get lvl 60 before Ziost, I heard yavin is quite small. Revan stuff continues to be a ton better than Hutt Cartel

Are you guys on pub or imp side? I just remembered that I have a character over there with all my legacy unlocks, so I was thinking I might be able to pop over there and get something going once I get my guardian to 60.

Patryn

I remember really liking the trooper story line back on vanilla, very "G.I Joe" like with assembling your crack special forces team

People view things differently.

I really think my problem is that for me the Trooper story got worse each act. Act 1 > Act 2 > Act 3.

Although, honestly, the final mission of Act 2 is my favorite mission of any of the classes I've played. I appreciated having at least one fight in which all my companions took part.

Rhaknar

People view things differently.

I really think my problem is that for me the Trooper story got worse each act. Act 1 > Act 2 > Act 3.

Although, honestly, the final mission of Act 2 is my favorite mission of any of the classes I've played. I appreciated having at least one fight in which all my companions took part.

I honestly don't remember the actual story particulars at all, same for the inquisitor.

I actually did a bit of the consular story this morning, finished Corruscant...the whole "I'm going to go around healing these jedi masters" thing is doing nothing for me. I wanted to do a republic one after the agent to switch it up a bit but meh.

Rhaknar

They really need to fix server transfers so I can move my 50 trooper :/

Edit: got almost 1000 basic coms on my agent, hopefully I can get some level 60 stuff to start with

Patryn

I honestly don't remember the actual story particulars at all, same for the inquisitor.

I actually did a bit of the consular story this morning, finished Corruscant...the whole "I'm going to go around healing these jedi masters" thing is doing nothing for me. I wanted to do a republic one after the agent to switch it up a bit but meh.
Most people dislike the Consular story. I'm one of the strange ones that likes it.

If you want to do a Republic story, do Jedi Knight. It's the main story of the game.

Rhaknar

Most people dislike the Consular story. I'm one of the strange ones that likes it.

If you want to do a Republic story, do Jedi Knight. It's the main story of the game.

Do the planets even vary much? I can't remember from my vanilla 50s. I noticed that after Corruscant the next 2 are taris and nar shadaa, which is the same as the agent so I'm guessing...no >_>

Dead

well not really...yet
Do the planets even vary much? I can't remember from my vanilla 50s. I noticed that after Corruscant the next 2 are taris and nar shadaa, which is the same as the agent so I'm guessing...no >_>
Taris as Imperial is different than Republic, same map, but at night, new imperial settlements, quests etc. Feels like a different planet

Patryn

No, the planetary path for Republic and Imperials differ, but among the same faction it's the same order.

Republic: Starter -> Coruscant -> Taris -> Nar Shadda -> Tatooine -> Alderaan -> Balmorra -> Quesh -> Hoth -> Belsavis -> Voss -> Corellia

Imperial: Starter -> Dromund Kass -> Balmorra -> Nar Shadda -> Tatooine -> Alderaan -> Taris -> Quesh -> Hoth -> Belsavis -> Voss -> Corellia

The shared planets have faction specific areas and shared areas. For 1-50, there's no planet that is 100 percent a carbon copy between the two factions.

Got my Guardian to level 60 on Jedi Covenant. Really put my nose to the grindstone on that one.

Gonna focus on getting geared up now.

Does the guild do much in way of ops or 60HMs? Is there a mumble channel for it?

Rhaknar

well, finished Revan and didnt get 60...not even close. Thats super disapointing. I guess I have to grind these dailies and weeklies to get to 60?

game didnt even send me to Ziost, I guess you need to be 60 to get a quest to go there?

Heysoos

well, finished Revan and didnt get 60...not even close. Thats super disapointing. I guess I have to grind these dailies and weeklies to get to 60?

game didnt even send me to Ziost, I guess you need to be 60 to get a quest to go there?

You pick up the Ziost quest from the terminal in your ship.

swtor2015-05-2603-10-02rhi.png

Meh, good enough. I'd like to get her all augmented up, but it's hard to do when you're basically starting from scratch.

You do have to be 60 unfortunately.

The worst thing about both expansions is that the story content is never enough to get you to max level, especially if you're a Preferred/F2P player.They make you grind out the rest through daily missions and such. Bad design.

You do have to be 60 unfortunately.

The worst thing about both expansions is that the story content is never enough to get you to max level, especially if you're a Preferred/F2P player.They make you grind out the rest through daily missions and such. Bad design.

Like it matters, there is nothing to do at max level anyways or post story but end game content which is going to take you to max level very quick. Story content getting you to max level has no advantage

Heysoos

Potentially rebuilding the GAF raiding group. Pretty sure I already have the tanks. And I have healers. If anyone is interested hit me up.

Cystm

Potentially rebuilding the GAF raiding group. Pretty sure I already have the tanks. And I have healers. If anyone is interested hit me up.

I want to slay space dragons with you. I have like one of every spec.. but they are in shit tier gear.

Hah, I just did my first flashpoint on this character. Forgot this character was from when I was lone-wolfing it.

I'll be on for a little while, if you can shoot me a guild invite in that time, that'd be cool!

Heysoos

Hah, I just did my first flashpoint on this character. Forgot this character was from when I was lone-wolfing it.

I'll be on for a little while, if you can shoot me a guild invite in that time, that'd be cool!

Sorry I missed this. Was eating then had to take my dog outside for some exercise. If you get on again, let me know.

Top Bottom