• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

iosefe

Yea so it looks like they are taking the original 8 stories and having your character assume the role of a singular character who will have one epic story instead of them making 8 separate ones.

So essentially a time skip in game? You reach 60 and the story jumps to this new period and your character of choice becomes the hero a new ongoing story.

so...is this the Kotor 3-9 they talked about all those years ago?

Yea so it looks like they are taking the original 8 stories and having your character assume the role of a singular character who will have one epic story instead of them making 8 separate ones.

So essentially a time skip in game? You reach 60 and the story jumps to this new period and your character of choice becomes the hero a new ongoing story.

Yes. So you will be the "Outlander".

Then it makes sense that the story follows a tighter narrative path, and then in-between they can write side stuff for new and old companions. They say that the story will be on-going, frequent.

I guess the cost to make this possible was to reduce 8 class stories to 1, but hopefully the dialogue, the writing and everything will be so good it still feels like each class voice actor is the center of the show.
Maybe it will even be interesting to see how each class will tackle things differently?

Is Battlefront 3 going to take away from the pvp aspects of SWTOR you think?

Are they going to release this as an expansion free to play people can buy or do they have to sub no matter what?

Yes, I think so. With the other expansions you could buy it, and then unsubscribe and play it.
This time you get the expansion for free just for subscribing. It makes sense, since Hutt expansion, and expansion #2 shadow of revan eventually went free 2 play. And since it seems that the story-updates will be frequent it stands to reason that you also get them for free for subscribing.

It is my hope that they will loose some restrictions on free 2 play players. The things like Hide Helmet, has to go. I cannot state how much it bothers me. Much of this game is watching your character in cut scenes and the fact that you cant hide your helmet. It's too much. It's so pointless, intrusive and annoying. I think it's petty that those are features. But those are really my major grips with it.

so...is this the Kotor 3-9 they talked about all those years ago?

I think this is just them realizing they can't continue to make 8 separate games essentially, so they are consolidating it all into a funnel that plays out as eventually one single story. I kinda doubt this was always in the plan, but seems like an ok compromise.

The only thing that is going to be odd is how they handle the MMO aspect of the game, since this really feels like them taking the game and making it a single player affair. And how do they handle all the content in the game already released which still has the 2 factions around like the fleets and such? The Empire and Republic have fallen, yet the game world will still have them around?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I think this is just them realizing they can't continue to make 8 separate games essentially, so they are consolidating it all into a funnel that plays out as eventually one single story. I kinda doubt this was always in the plan, but seems like an ok compromise.

The only thing that is going to be odd is how they handle the MMO aspect of the game, since this really feels like them taking the game and making it a single player affair. And how do they handle all the content in the game already released which still has the 2 factions around like the fleets and such? The Empire and Republic have fallen, yet the game world will still have them around?

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

This seems like a whole new game.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

This seems like a whole new game.

Yea it almost feels like a sequel to SWTOR where it's being made into a single player game. If the game had phasing tech like some other MMOs I could see them doing something like that where the game world appears different for certain players once they reach 60, but I doubt they got the engine fixed for that.

I imagine nothing will change, but they will just do like other MMO expansions and just make it that they try to get you to use other central game hubs that will be themed to the current time/setting. Game already has some iffy aspects in the sense that worlds are stuck in a time period of the galactic war, like Balmorra and Taris

Moff

0 new information at the E3 EA conference, only a new cgi trailer
havent found it online yet

but it looks like we finally get to see where all that f2p success money went to, cgi trailers are not cheap and single player content isn't really "worthwhile" mmo content for many

I am looking forward to it, although I still am completely confused what it even is, I just hope we can use our old characters. these 2 new dudes seem to be focusses in the media.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Need more info and gameplay trailer stat.

Ashodin

0 new information at the E3 EA conference, only a new cgi trailer
havent found it online yet

but it looks like we finally get to see where all that f2p success money went to, cgi trailers are not cheap and single player content isn't really "worthwhile" mmo content for many

I am looking forward to it, although I still am completely confused what it even is, I just hope we can use our old characters. these 2 new dudes seem to be focusses in the media.
I'm curious but confused.

Moff

if I had to take a wild guess I'd say this is a maximum of 5 hours single player content that leads you through many old and a few new planets with a few choices with consequences. that's my best case scenario at the moment.

StudioTan

if I had to take a wild guess I'd say this is a maximum of 5 hours single player content that leads you through many old and a few new planets with a few choices with consequences. that's my best case scenario at the moment.

There's 16 chapters though.

Moff

There's 16 chapters though.

I'd be very surprised if it was an hour each, but I'll gladly be pleasantly surprised. maybe it's still something completely different. maybe we need to clear old content for the chapters or something like that, we'll see. I'm in either way.

I think it will be about bioware single player game lengthed 30-40 hours once all the chapters are released.

Would be great if there were no factions either. I think that's certianly possible given how long people have asked to be bounty hunter republic side or a sith trooper.

Moff

they talked a little about it on IGN
you can use your old character or create a level 60 one, this feature is obviously there if new players want to dive straight in the new "bioware style" content
level cap increase, new abilities etc.

I wonder though, that's not emperor vitiate we released on yavin, right? why have a new guy?

Ashodin

The new story starts with you awakening years later. Seems like our hero gets cryofrozen.

they talked a little about it on IGN
you can use your old character or create a level 60 one, this feature is obviously there if new players want to dive straight in the new "bioware style" content
level cap increase, new abilities etc.

I wonder though, that's not emperor vitiate we released on yavin, right? why have a new guy?
Maybe they'll leave it open

Ashodin

I think they're underselling it. It sounds like from a story perspective they're rebooting it ala Realm Reborn. Now I imagine the game won't get the same type of treatment ARR did, but hell the entire story and plot will be different than what is currently in game. It's all about the struggle to survive against Valkorion's empire.

StudioTan

Someone was asking about this - SoR will be free to subs when this launches as well. Oct 27.

Moff

The new story starts with you awakening years later. Seems like our hero gets cryofrozen.

Maybe they'll leave it open

not sure how I'd feel about that, the vitiate story is central to SWTOR, he was in the novels and very important to revan, who is like the main character of the franchise. and now it looks they are wrapping everything up to reboot the game, not sure if I like it if vitiate is forgotten or kept on ice for the time being.

I think they're underselling it. It sounds like from a story perspective they're rebooting it ala Realm Reborn. Now I imagine the game won't get the same type of treatment ARR did, but hell the entire story and plot will be different than what is currently in game. It's all about the struggle to survive against Valkorion's empire.

Funny I just started playing ARR like 2 days ago :p. Yes it seems like something massive is going to happen in the story, maybe a time skip and we'll find out what happened to certain characters during the story.

Sorian

Banned
not sure how I'd feel about that, the vitiate story is central to SWTOR, he was in the novels and very important to revan, who is like the main character of the franchise. and now it looks they are wrapping everything up to reboot the game, not sure if I like it if vitiate is forgotten or kept on ice for the time being.

If they don't wrap up Vitiate's story quickly then I'm willing to gamble quite a bit that he is pulling some strings in this new story.

ARR is a complete rework of FFXIV wasn't it?

I mean, it had engine upgrades, most gameplay systems, UI and basic controls was completely changed.

What is strange to me is this idea if you can make a lvl 60 character. the new cap is lvl 65. What the hell does that even mean? you get a instant lvl 60 characters and only do 5 levels?

Ashodin

I mean, it had engine upgrades, most gameplay systems, UI and basic controls was completely changed.

What is strange to me is this idea if you can make a lvl 60 character. the new cap is lvl 65. What the hell does that even mean? you get a instant lvl 60 characters and only do 5 levels?

The time it takes between levels must be huge.

I'm expecting a NPE for Level 60 as well, kinda like Tanaan Jungle in WoW.

Player character is frozen in carbonite; unspecified length of time passes between then and the start of the expansion
Empire/Republic are 'no longer as you remember', you will have to reconnect with old companions

Working with parts of the Mass Effect team for their expertise
'All new companions and new companion storylines, new interactions with old companions'
Can create a character at L60 to start the expansion

Totally calling no faction barriers for grouping. It's HAPPENING

Sorian

Banned

Right because the 5 levels are where the new meat of the expac and story will be. They know a lot of their player base has done 1-55 (and now 55-60) tons and tons of times.

Syf

Banned
Yeah I really hope they don't do a quick kill-off of Vitiate before this new story starts. He's the strongest character going in this universe, keep him behind the scenes while all this is going on.

Ashodin

From reddit thread

"Of note: Player character is frozen in carbonite very early on in KotFE story and awoken after the empire/republic has fallen."

So this explains the chapter titles.

CHAPTER 1
The Hunt

- Going after Vitiate maybe?

CHAPTER 2
A Dream of Empire

- Vitiate encounters Valkorion, or whatever happens there Valkorion gets introduced.

CHAPTER 3
Outlander

- Cryofrozen, wake up later when everything is different (I'd say 10 years later)

CHAPTER 4
The Gravestone

- Find out what companions have died in the Zakuul Empire's invasion of the galaxy

CHAPTER 5
From the Grave

- Meet up with who survived.

CHAPTER 6
Asylum

- New character

CHAPTER 7
Lady of Sorrows

- New character

CHAPTER 8
Taking Flight

- New ship!

CHAPTER 9
The Alliance

- New character from previously Empire/Republic side. Shows off new factionless setup.

CHAPTER 10
Anarchy In Paradise

- Trouble in the Zakuul Empire?

CHAPTER 11
Disavowed

- No idea here.

Says that the chapters only go up to 9 at launch, so it's all the way to level 65 when you will be merged with Empire/Republic. Calling it!

Very interesting. I dont know what you guys are talking about or what a vitate is. My Sith Warrior is lvl 50. Im looking for people to play with who will let me watch the cut scenes in flashpoints^^

Vitate is the name of the Sith Emperor in swtor, so who is this new guy? Unless it's just him in his new host body.

It does really sound like they might be boosting speed of leveling and such in general. But the mmo aspectof the game is obviously being tossed aside, they are making this into a f2p single player game

Kadin

So what do you guys think, "A Return To BioWare Storytelling" means? Are they honestly saying that stuff thus far has been sub-par and they're taking it to a whole other level or what? I don't know why but this line rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

For the record, I've been very happy with just about all the class story lines even though I have a couple pub side still yet to finish.

So what do you guys think, "A Return To BioWare Storytelling" means? Are they honestly saying that stuff thus far has been sub-par and they're taking it to a whole other level or what? I don't know why but this line rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

For the record, I've been very happy with just about all the class story lines even though I have a couple pub side still yet to finish.

I think they just mean the game is going full on single player from now on mostly, they are not trying to be a MMO, from the description and focus on story, it sounds like they are essentially turning the game away from being another WoW, into morphing it into a single player game with multiplayer features tacked on, which some would say it kinda was already, but now to a bigger extent. Now just one big story that will be ongoing, the the MMO like features are just mainly recycling old content and the MP parts of the game are not getting much support anymore via new maps, modes, raids, etc

Ashodin

I'm sorry to say but this is the best path to go down imo. They need to establish a defining feature of the game to make it stand out and the story clearly does. It's mostly a multiplayer BioWare RPG.

squadr0n

So 2 questions,

When do we get the lvl 60 character if you sub

And if you instantly get too 60 do you miss any of the old expansion's storylines?

StudioTan

A little more info at Polygon.

A couple of interesting quotes:

"You're able to recruit help and additional companions from an expanded cast, including companions who were previously exclusive to other classes," said Maclean.

"We can look at this stuff and say, 'look, if you want to go and play the standard MMO game — PvP, doing a flashpoint, operation raiding — we have that. We've always had that. We continue to expand on that. But we also heard, loud and clear, this scream for story, for personal custom story.'"

"I want to be really clear to our fans out there who are deep MMO fans. We're not forgetting about that part of the game either," said Hickman. "We just have a focus right now on the story. We're doing lots of stuff around flashpoints and operations and raid bosses and PvP and that stuff. But it's all about story this year."

Some of the other info I'm reading makes this all sound a bit crazy.
You wake up from being frozen in carbonite and the brothers from the video have basically destroyed both the empire and the republic. Your companions have been scattered and you need to recruit them (and others) again.

Top Bottom