• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Yeah the differences between class stories seem pretty big. They didn't follow a template or give them equal dev time. Agent has way more ending choices than any of the other stories.

edit: yeah I mean it's a good thing they didn't make them follow a template.

Yeah the differences between class stories seem pretty big. They didn't follow a template or give them equal dev time. Agent has way more ending choices than any of the other stories.

Well each class had a different writer and such, so some class experiences just seemed to be overall better done than others.

You had some real cool epic fights in the middle of certain class stories, but then you would get to the end of something like the Knight story and face such a lame finale? The knight had some cooler fights before that

Draxal

Well each class had a different writer and such, so some class experiences just seemed to be overall better done than others.

You had some real cool epic fights in the middle of certain class stories, but then you would get to the end of something like the Knight story and face such a lame finale? The knight had some cooler fights before that

The finale prenerf was actually really fun, but the amount of trash in the place was ridiculous and the packs were much harder (each would have 2 non ccables gold and 4 silves).

We brought a group of 3 and still wiped nonstop at the time (all fresh 50's so pathetically geared).

Patryn

The finale prenerf was actually really fun, but the amount of trash in the place was ridiculous and the packs were much harder (each would have 2 non ccables gold and 4 silves).

We brought a group of 3 and still wiped nonstop at the time (all fresh 50's so pathetically geared).

Uh.... what?

I'm now almost glad that I stopped at Belsavis around launch period on my Knight.

Because that would have made me RAGE.

Draxal

Uh.... what?

I'm now almost glad that I stopped at Belsavis around launch period on my Knight.

Because that would have made me RAGE.

It was completely different when I did it on my jedi post nerf. 2/3's of the trash were removed and the packs had 1/2 of the mobs removed from them, so you could actually bypass them. They didn't rebalance it ... they took a sledgehammer to the place.

It was easily five times harder than the trooper finale at launch (I had a max trooper and finished it easily, and I wiped nonstop helping a friend's sent after it). Wish I could find a vid of clearing the trash pre clear (because I honestly don't remember the exact make up of the groups ... but it was closer to a flash point in difficulty than any other story gameplay).

Patryn

Just finished Tatooine on my Sith Warrior. I have to say, my earlier doubts are receding and I'm really enjoying the story. Playing as a light-sided Warrior is even more interesting. I had read about how you can really confuse the crap out of Jedi by doing so, and it's true. They're doing a good job showing how the Jedi can kind of be unhinged when facing me.

I especially liked the whole Oasis segment.

Frankly, I think I'm enjoying the Sith Warrior story more than I did the Jedi Knight at this point. The only planet that I think the Jedi story was better was on Tython. Korriban was such a disappointment, and I think it ranks as one of my least favorite planets, while I loved Tython.

I will say, though, that I think the Republic side quests are much better written than the Imperial ones. The Imperial ones all seem to be about how they need to crush this race or that person. Kind of one-note. I also feel like they rely on Terminals far more than the Republic did.

Ashodin

Playing through the Knight story, it's really grown on me since Balmorra. Up until then I felt like I was just kinda going through the motions of being a good Republic Jedi, but then I got Doc and everything started to feel more like "My band of bros and I". Doc is just so great.

Might finally bail on the game for good, it's losing it for me. Really bummed by the news that they have no plans for more pvp maps, and then saying same for the star fighter stuff, with no new modes or maps planned. Really they are letting that neat game mode die off? Everything has shifted to Strongholds sadly, I highly doubt they will bother even improving on guildships or conquest system. The worst part of the game has been how they handle adding content, as they keep failing to support what they add, so it grows stagnant and eventually ignored. I do like the ongoing story aspect they want to do, but at the cost of just letting the rest of the game content decay... what a waste.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Might finally bail on the game for good, it's losing it for me. Really bummed by the news that they have no plans for more pvp maps, and then saying same for the star fighter stuff, with no new modes or maps planned. Really they are letting that neat game mode die off? Everything has shifted to Strongholds sadly, I highly doubt they will bother even improving on guildships or conquest system. The worst part of the game has been how they handle adding content, as they keep failing to support what they add, so it grows stagnant and eventually ignored. I do like the ongoing story aspect they want to do, but at the cost of just letting the rest of the game content decay... what a waste.

Is that based on the podcast? I just remember them saying they had no new maps coming in 3.3 but that they were working on new stuff. They spent a fair bit of time talking about how they come up with new maps.

Is that based on the podcast? I just remember them saying they had no new maps coming in 3.3 but that they were working on new stuff. They spent a fair bit of time talking about how they come up with new maps.

From the notes, they said no pvp maps coming anytime soon, so yea that sounds like nothing is even in the works or anything will be far out. When asked on GSF they stated no new maps or modes planned either, just tweaks. So yea it all sounds like they have essentially abandoned this stuff. Before strongholds there was also supposed to be new ships and such planned, but that got set aside in favor of strongholds, and they aren't even talking about it.

Seeing how they have handled everything they have done in the game so far, it just seems like they are going to let the stuff die. They implement a new event or feature, they just leave it as is instead of supporting it with new content or until they pretty much replace it with something new.

Giolon

From the notes, they said no pvp maps coming anytime soon, so yea that sounds like nothing is even in the works or anything will be far out. When asked on GSF they stated no new maps or modes planned either, just tweaks. So yea it all sounds like they have essentially abandoned this stuff. Before strongholds there was also supposed to be new ships and such planned, but that got set aside in favor of strongholds, and they aren't even talking about it.

Seeing how they have handled everything they have done in the game so far, it just seems like they are going to let the stuff die. They implement a new event or feature, they just leave it as is instead of supporting it with new content or until they pretty much replace it with something new.

It's the downside of becoming an F2P game. If something can't be shown to be directly, effectively monetized, it gets far lower priority than anything that can. You'd better believe that Strongholds turned out to be a strong monetizer, with both the ability to charge CC for unlocking the Strongholds and their parts directly and by driving Cartel pack purchases by placing decorations in them. They can't sell PVP maps, and Starfighter must not have had enough players dumping money into it to justify continued development.

MechWarrior Online had a similar problem during its tenure under Infinite Games Publishing (IGP). The developer, Piranha Games Inc (PGI), wanted to develop community warfare and more maps as they had promised players and as players wanted. However, since they couldn't sell maps, IGP wouldn't pay for any of them to be developed and only wanted PGI to just work on things they could sell - new mech models, new cockpit decorations.

However, what the bean counters of either company don't realize is that they can't quantify player happiness and satisfaction by purchase numbers. They don't really care if you get bored and quit b/c they are planning to bring in new players and squeeze them for all they can before they too burn out and quit.

tl;dr Sadly, features that can't be directly monetized like PVP maps will always get lower priority than the things that can - like Strongholds and their decorations.

Patryn

Ugh... just started a Smuggler to check something out, and Ord Mantell's opening area on Jedi Covenant is crawling with soon-to-be spammers.

You can tell they're spammers because all their names are nonsense, they're all positioned right in the middle of enemy spawns, and they all just follow the same script: attack until they're all dead and then cast their out of battle heal. They never move, and they're way over-leveled.

How do I report them? They're not spammers... yet, but it's clear that their destiny is sitting on the fleet to send out spam in the future.

Syf

Banned
This image is in an email I just got from EA/BW. New trailer incoming?

8BFlPxM.jpg

Ashodin

DUDE THOSE FUCKIN CLOTHES

I WANT EM

Someone speculated they might actually be adding faction swap or "Redeemed" Sith or "Fallen" Jedi. Something crazy like that.

Heysoos

The current game is struggling to keep two healthy factions, I don't know if adding a third would be a good idea honestly.

Edit: Faction swap mightttt work but who knows.

Ashodin

The current game is struggling to keep two healthy factions, I don't know if adding a third would be a good idea honestly.

Edit: Faction swap mightttt work but who knows.

If it only happens at max level or "inside" the story of the expansion, it would deal with the issue of "but but but what about story breaking"

since everything is at max level you wouldn't have to worry about that

Patryn

Sounds like they're putting out the equivalent of an entirely new class story at the end game?

Curious you just use an existing class, or if it's a new one.

Heysoos

Hrm. Sounds good. Hopefully we get a lot more in depth info Monday.

That said, this sounds like what a lot of the major PVE raiding guilds that quit were worried about. Major shift towards single player content rather than new OPs.

Ashodin

Hrm. Sounds good. Hopefully we get a lot more in depth info Monday.

That said, this sounds like what a lot of the major PVE raiding guilds that quit were worried about. Major shift towards single player content rather than new OPs.

I dunno, I think the biggest thing the game needs to do is double down on the story, since everyone already comments about playing SWTOR only for the story, might as well make it the best storied MMO out there

Buzzbrad

You guys think its worth coming back now? I played back at launch and got a BH to max level and finished the story. Or should I wait till the fall for the new expansion?

Syf

Banned
You guys think its worth coming back now? I played back at launch and got a BH to max level and finished the story. Or should I wait till the fall for the new expansion?
If you haven't played since then, yeah, worth it to come back. By the sounds of it you should have at least one level 60 toon for the expansion.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
"THE ADVENTURE BEGINS ON OCTOBER 27TH, FREE FOR ALL SUBSCRIBERS!" ??

This sounds exciting!

Buzzbrad

Do you guys think they will have any sales, something like 2400 Cartel points, Expansions and 60 day gametime for however much. I remember they had one before.

Syf

Banned
Do you guys think they will have any sales, something like 2400 Cartel points, Expansions and 60 day gametime for however much. I remember they had one before.
Hard to say with any certainty. Probably a good idea to wait for their E3 conference just in case they do announce some sort of incentives there.

Moff

I'd say it's not unlikely that shadow of revan will be free too in a few months, for subscribers. hutt cartel took about a year I think?

I own Shadow of Revan but havent played it yet. Dulfys leak is surprising: http://dulfy.net/2015/06/14/swtor-knights-of-the-fallen-empire-leaked-expansion-details/

So it sounds like that The war between the republic and the empire is being interrupted by this third faction. You then go on a new adventure with your existing character, and it starts a new act. So I guess it will be an act 4, so it will be 1/3 of the story of the original. That's pretty good, but I hope they will care more about the class story missions than the side quests, because nobody cares about the side quests. when you have to do the same side quests on all your characters. Its just not fun.

Individual class stories, new companions, being able to betray old companions. All these things great.

Yea so it looks like they are taking the original 8 stories and having your character assume the role of a singular character who will have one epic story instead of them making 8 separate ones.

So essentially a time skip in game? You reach 60 and the story jumps to this new period and your character of choice becomes the hero a new ongoing story.

Top Bottom