• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Heysoos

A little more info at Polygon.

A couple of interesting quotes:

"You're able to recruit help and additional companions from an expanded cast, including companions who were previously exclusive to other classes," said Maclean.

"We can look at this stuff and say, 'look, if you want to go and play the standard MMO game — PvP, doing a flashpoint, operation raiding — we have that. We've always had that. We continue to expand on that. But we also heard, loud and clear, this scream for story, for personal custom story.'"

"I want to be really clear to our fans out there who are deep MMO fans. We're not forgetting about that part of the game either," said Hickman. "We just have a focus right now on the story. We're doing lots of stuff around flashpoints and operations and raid bosses and PvP and that stuff. But it's all about story this year."

Some of the other info I'm reading makes this all sound a bit crazy.
You wake up from being frozen in carbonite and the brothers from the video have basically destroyed both the empire and the republic. Your companions have been scattered and you need to recruit them (and others) again.

Sooooo.... No new raids/pvp maps until next year then? If sooooooooo...

antonz

Sooooo.... No new raids/pvp maps until next year then? If sooooooooo...
Makes sense if they are indeed being honest about the scale of it all. Its only going to launch with like 60% of the story. Then "fast" release of updates. It could all blow up on them if their largest expansion ever turns out to be hyperbole and its another tiny pack.

The Press release that was put out makes it seem like SWTOR is about to get its own Cataclysm Expansion pack as a comparison. Revamping 1-60 and using this new razor focus for all the new stuff.

Makes sense if they are indeed being honest about the scale of it all. Its only going to launch with like 60% of the story. Then "fast" release of updates. It could all blow up on them if their largest expansion ever turns out to be hyperbole and its another tiny pack.

The Press release that was put out makes it seem like SWTOR is about to get its own Cataclysm Expansion pack as a comparison. Revamping 1-60 and using this new razor focus for all the new stuff.

It seems that everything pre-lvl 60 (including RotHC and Shadow of Revan) will be base free 2 play.
Non-subscribers can't buy FoTE, but will get it if they subscribe to it after it has come out. I wonder then, if the Fleets will remain segregated. And if the PvP will remain the same with Empire vs Republic.

Will there be engine upgrades I wonder?

-Digits-

All my characters are on Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU). I wonder if it's worth it to move my high levels to The Red Eclipse for group content and pvp. I'm pretty excited for the expansion and I think I'll stay around for a while.

Kadin

It seems that everything pre-lvl 60 (including RotHC and Shadow of Revan) will be base free 2 play.
Non-subscribers can't buy FoTE, but will get it if they subscribe to it after it has come out. I wonder then, if the Fleets will remain segregated. And if the PvP will remain the same with Empire vs Republic.
Where did they say that F2P can't buy the expansion? I only saw them say it'll be free for subs.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If you can get ANY companions then I would totally rock all the droids. Except there is no droid healer, so default to mako because she's a cyborg and that's close enough.

Seems like the perfect opportunity to make HK-55 a healer.

"I'm here to save you, meatbag."

it makes my head spin because many of the companions are completely different depending if they are evil or good.

Take the Sith Warrior love interest Jasea Williams. She won't put out unless you are crazy evil. I wanted to romance her as lightside, but then she goes all nun-like. BUHHHHHHH

So if I can recruit her on my evil consular is it then sexy times? My trando says "XTYXTTTYZXXTY XTYTZTXT!!"

Syf

Banned
I hope we're done with the fleets as the 'central hub' areas in the new expansion. If we're merging into one sort of faction then give us a new place to meet up.

it makes my head spin because many of the companions are completely different depending if they are evil or good.

Take the Sith Warrior love interest Jasea Williams. She won't put out unless you are crazy evil. I wanted to romance her as lightside, but then she goes all nun-like. BUHHHHHHH

So if I can recruit her on my evil consular is it then sexy times? My trando says "XTYXTTTYZXXTY XTYTZTXT!!"
Jaesa is a curious case. It'll be interesting to see how they handle her
unless they kill her off.

Ashodin

If you can get ANY companions then I would totally rock all the droids. Except there is no droid healer, so default to mako because she's a cyborg and that's close enough.

Maybe they'll do the original idea they had for companions - you could switch your companions into specialized roles so you could take one with you all the time.

I hope we're done with the fleets as the 'central hub' areas in the new expansion. If we're merging into one sort of faction then give us a new place to meet up.

For logic reasons that would be neat, but I feel they will kinda do like WoW expansions or such where the game kinda pushed the players to new hubs that were more up to date on the current story.

With how tied in the fleet is to some of the story stuff, I think it will be hard for them to just get rid of them.... perhaps they can keep the fleets and just update them for the new setting?

Patryn

So what do you guys think, "A Return To BioWare Storytelling" means? Are they honestly saying that stuff thus far has been sub-par and they're taking it to a whole other level or what? I don't know why but this line rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

For the record, I've been very happy with just about all the class story lines even though I have a couple pub side still yet to finish.

As much as I love this game, I think it's a tacit admission that they would have been better off spending the effort making a series of single-player RPGs and not an MMO.

Basically, I think they're going to do what they can to turn the ship and make this as closely resemble one of the single-player Bioware RPGs as possible.

Syf

Banned
For logic reasons that would be neat, but I feel they will kinda do like WoW expansions or such where the game kinda pushed the players to new hubs that were more up to date on the current story.

With how tied in the fleet is to some of the story stuff, I think it will be hard for them to just get rid of them.... perhaps they can keep the fleets and just update them for the new setting?
Yeah, I guess even that I'd be happy with. I just want a change really. The fleets are old.

Ashodin

As much as I love this game, I think it's a tacit admission that they would have been better off spending the effort making a series of single-player RPGs and not an MMO.

Basically, I think they're going to do what they can to turn the ship and make this as closely resemble one of the single-player Bioware RPGs as possible.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself - they're likely positioning themselves to try to get the fanbase that likes story in there, and then add more on top later.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
That new story focus sounds like an amazing idea. I know that I personally played SWTOR for the class stories, and when it was apparent that they would not further develop the class stories after 50; I was pretty damn disappointed and my excitement kind of fizzled.

I'd totally come back for new chapters of what sounds like the ultimate single player KOTOR RPG (with the added benefit of multiplayer raids/pvp :).

Here is the thing. You can make a singular path towards for all 8 class stories. The key (I think) is just to make it so that the path you take (and the responses and reactions you get) is conducive to your character, and his character.

Every character is different in evil, neutral and good ways. By being the Outlander, they can have the new NPCs ignore some of the players past accomplishments and focus on the present.

Basically, doing the same quest as a Sith Warrior will yield a different resolution and path than doing it as a Jedi Knight. Those two characters will handle a situation differently, even if they are both good, both bad or both neutral. This effectively can make it interesting to go through the new chapter on several characters.
It's one of the things general side missions in the game lack. The NPCs in the side quests don't respond much differently to a Trooper than to a Smuggler.
I feel using a lot of time on side quests, and voicing those are not very fun or engaging. The personal story of the player is the major draw, and I think the 12xp and its popularity shows how little players care about the side quests. It would be much preferable to have longer and more personal story followed by more combat, longer missions, than less personal character split with side quests to fill out the game.

There are steps that they can do to walk a balance between a deep personal story, and a MMO. One thing they could do, is to introduce new tech with day/night cycles and dynamic weather. Better fauna, wildlife and organic NPCs. Those things would be really nice.
And like someone else said, making a new hub for lvl 65 players (and onwards) would be interesting.

It will likely be no different from all the side quest and generic content already in game, which occasionally had a few bits of unique dialogueto tie into your personal story. But like all that content, they will try to avoid going deep into your actions or past.

Sorian

Banned
I doubt they will go deep into your characters past accomplishments at all. Most people you will meet in this story won't give a damn who you were because most of your accomplishments simply don't matter in the world anymore. At most, there might be different tidbits when companions are first re-introduced.

I hope for the best regarding the story. It would be really nice if the experience wont feel completely the same on all your characters even if the story of the outlander is the same.

Cystm

Bruce Maclean gets nervous, spoils the opening plot of RotFE, and Jeff Hickman is trying so hard not to tell him to shut the fuck up.

8o303B8.png

It's here if you want to be spoiled

So what do they plan to do till the release of this expansion? We haven't heard of anything new so far, so what are we getting from Bioware till Oct? Nothing? Apparently no PVP or Star figther content, so just more monthly cartel shop stuff till expansion?

That's canon. Jedi aren't supposed to have attachments. Sex, sure, but love... nope.

Even for the Jedi Knight relationships earn dark-side points.

DrBo42

I have high hopes for that expansion. Burn both fleets to the ground, fuck all the faction bs. Wish they'd sink the money into updating or revamping the engine as well but oh well. Hopefully we'll get some compelling stories from the chaos.

kmz

Neo Member
So what do they plan to do till the release of this expansion? We haven't heard of anything new so far, so what are we getting from Bioware till Oct? Nothing? Apparently no PVP or Star figther content, so just more monthly cartel shop stuff till expansion?

There's the PVP gear system rework and Yavin stronghold coming in 3.3. I think there's also meant to be more story stuff with Ziost consequences at some point? Not sure.

All we've got on deck so far is 3.3 with the Yavin IV Stronghold and Togruta (hopefully) next month.

That's it.
-------------
Looks like we're getting something on Operations within a month:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8255305#edit8255305

Hey folks,

Lots of good questions around Operations! I am not going to go into details right now but, we have plans for Operations that we are pretty excited about. We will be releasing a blog in the coming weeks which should answer many of the questions that you have right now.

Thanks!

-eric
I do hope they aren't transitioning Operations into something else.
------------------
One free Level 60 per account. Can purchase more in the Cartel Market.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=818168

Hey folks,

I have seen a few questions around how the “Start at Level 60” will work that comes with Fallen Empire. I want to start by saying that we will be releasing a blog when we get a bit closer to launch that describes all of the nitty gritty details and walks you through everything. But for now I wanted to cover a bit about how it works and address some of the things I have been seeing.

As a subscriber, when you get Fallen Empire you will receive one free level 60 character. This character must be a new character, you cannot “boost” an existing character up to 60. Beyond that first one which is included free with KOTFE, you can purchase additional level 60 characters through the Cartel Market at any time. I know that this raised the question of character limits as well. In talking with the development team, the plan is to increase the subscriber maximum character limit per server by 2 for the Fallen Empire launch. Not confirmation it will happen, but it is definitely their goal!

I know you still have many questions, such as how this impacts Class story, etc. We will be revealing all of these details down the line as we get closer to launch.

Thanks!

-eric

Kinda glad about the level 60 thing. Before it kinda seemed like you'd just select the supposed new faction when making a character, and it'd be level 60. Basically giving you no need to ever have a sub-60 character.

The flip side, I'm sad that there won't ACTUALLY be a third, joined faction. (As said in another post by Eric)

Don't think it's been posted here, the full extended trailer. Much better than what they showed during the conference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A

OK that was awesome.

Pretty excited to see the game is getting this much attention. Haven't played in a long while (mostly occupied with FFXIV and soon Heavensward) but I will definitely be there for when this releases.

Also 10 years of being frozen is a lot longer than I expected. It should make for some interesting conversations with companions and other NPCs (assuming they aren't dead).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I kind of hope that they're not pulling a Cataclysm with all this, and fundamentally changing the 1-50 story.

I don't know about fundamentally but in the press release it says this:

In addition, with the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire the original eight class stories from Star Wars: The Old Republic will be enhanced to deliver a more immersive and engaging single-player story arc for players old and new. Plus, end-game experiences in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be advanced, giving players the option to join with friends in a variety of multiplayer missions upgraded to Level 60+.

No idea what that means though.

Patryn

I imagine just tweaks to play faster through the story.

Easiest way to do that is to permanently crank the amount of XP class missions give. Basically, make something like 12x XP the default for everybody and not an "event".

I can also see them making all the earlier Flashpoints solo-able, especially the story heavy ones (Esseless, Black Talon, etc.)

Finally got enough cartel coins to transfer a character. Is the guild any busier now? Haven't been over there in a while, and I'd really only like to pull a character off server if there's any operations to be done.

EDIT: Ended up moving a character to Shadowlands.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Combined with the 1 free transfer you can get from those referral codes (is that still a thing?) that is a pretty reasonable offering.

Finally got enough cartel coins to transfer a character. Is the guild any busier now? Haven't been over there in a while, and I'd really only like to pull a character off server if there's any operations to be done.

EDIT: Ended up moving a character to Shadowlands.

Ouch, that timing. Maybe try hitting up customer service? I know other F2P-style games tend to have like 1 week price protection on sales and other price drops.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well this is disappointing:

Because the story is personal to you, playing with even one friend is restrictive. Unlike the base game, where friends could play together and follow different class storylines, Fallen Empire has just the one epic story, so it can only be played out one player at a time. That means friends have to either take turns doing the steps or take turns completing an arc for each other. That’s good in that friends can witness your epic story without affecting it but bad in that it will spoil it for any friend that hasn’t already played through.

My gf was actually thinking about coming back to play through the expansion with me, she hasn't played since reaching 50 about 3 months after launch. Would have been nice duoing with her again.

Patryn

Story is expensive. I assume they did some research and found that most people solo'd story anyways.

Sorry for those interested in a more social experience.

StudioTan

I suppose it's no different that current class quests, you can't have two people of the same class doing the same quest. If you wanted to duo you had to be different classes and during one person's class quests the other person was only a spectator.

Also if they are really trying to do more significant consequences of dialogue choices you don't want another person picking for you.

I'll wait for more details before I get too bummed about it.

Top Bottom