• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Current class stories though you can just go into options and turn on the ability to do coop class story stuff though right?

ESO had that with it's story stuff when it launched, your group mates couldn't enter the instances attached to the main story you were on.

kmz

Neo Member
Current class stories though you can just go into options and turn on the ability to do coop class story stuff though right?

You can turn on the option to let them come into your class story instance, but they're only spectators and it doesn't advance the story for them.

kmz

Neo Member
http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comme...feel_like_im_redownloading_the_entire/csfvl5h

Hey folks,

The reason this is happening is because of the patch being downloaded mid-maintenance. During maintenance we can sometimes deploy multiple builds of the games, etc. Especially as we are pushing things out and QA'ing them. The way to avoid this problem would be to wait until maintenance has completed and then download the patch. This would ensure you are only downloading the correct patch, and are not impacted by other odd stuff that can happen during the maintenance itself.

I will make sure we get a note about this somewhere in our maintenance messaging so that players know that this is a possibility during maintenance.

-eric

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/23/e3-2015-bioware-dishes-more/

Part two of Massively's interview about the expansion.

They are really going a whole new direction with this. I'm both excited and apprehensive since I lived through the NGE in SWG and I know that big changes aren't always good.

The biggest thing is no new content for F2P or Preferred going forward however any time you sub for a month you get all the previous content unlocked even if you unsub. So if 25 chapters have been released you get it all when you sub. It's a very interesting model to say the least.

Moff

even the standard expansions so far had barely enough new MMO content, I expect this will have little to none. I could imagine they just raise the present endgame operations and flashpoints to the new max level and are done with it. either way I am sure with the single player focus the MMO content will suffer

now they could kill the game with this or it might work
what percentage of players actually takes part in endgame MMO content? how many just want to level and play their characters? I think swtor with it's legacy system is especially encouraging to have many alts.

all I know is that I am out right now and I am looking forward to be back in with this, I just don't know for how long.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/23/e3-2015-bioware-dishes-more/

Part two of Massively's interview about the expansion.

They are really going a whole new direction with this. I'm both excited and apprehensive since I lived through the NGE in SWG and I know that big changes aren't always good.

The biggest thing is no new content for F2P or Preferred going forward however any time you sub for a month you get all the previous content unlocked even if you unsub. So if 25 chapters have been released you get it all when you sub. It's a very interesting model to say the least.
Certainly seems like a new direction for the game. Everything seems to be pointing to phasing out group content which will turn off half of the population. That's not good. I know they have stated they'll share more in the next couple months about that but dodging it just makes it seem more likely.

Certainly seems like a new direction for the game. Everything seems to be pointing to phasing out group content which will turn off half of the population. That's not good. I know they have stated they'll share more in the next couple months about that but dodging it just makes it seem more likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if majority of the player population never groups.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I wouldn't be surprised if majority of the player population never groups.

They must have the numbers for this kind of stuff.

The have to have some kind of repeatable content that isn't daily quests though. No matter how much story they add it won't be enough.

They did say they were still gonna have group content but clearly the message so far is on (solo) story stuff.

I imagine the new group content is just the mentioned before recycling of old content upgraded for higher level play. From article it pretty much sounds like the 12x xp or something similar is going to become permanent part of the game.

Kadin

So, where's everyone transferring to?
Haha, I came here to ask exactly this.

I've got 20 chars on Bastion and I'm thinking of transferring one or two. Trying to figure out if Harbinger or PotF would be better. I've really enjoyed open world PvP but PvE sounds kinda nice and relaxing at times.

antonz

So a question. Anyone have an idea what server ended up taking in all the bloodfin people? I know after fatman mostly went to Prophecy of the Five but that's obviously a near dead server now. any idea where they all went

Dead

well not really...yet
Haha, I came here to ask exactly this.

I've got 20 chars on Bastion and I'm thinking of transferring one or two. Trying to figure out if Harbinger or PotF would be better. I've really enjoyed open world PvP but PvE sounds kinda nice and relaxing at times.
PotF is essentially a dead server. I have a couple characters I made on there back in the day, and it's a ghost down.

Harbinger is actually active.

Matchew

Being still new to the game, can anybody link me to a good guide for good Jedi Knight Builds? Pretty new to MMOs in general and hitting level 20 and I'm kinda lost on the skill tree.

Enosh

okay I'm confused, wanted to play again to see some of the changes etc (and test it on my new PC wondering how looks) and kinda didn't get past the login

instead of email like before it asked me for a display name now, which i had no idea what it could be tried everything i could think of, nothing worked, then tried the display name recovery via email and like 1h latter still didn't get an email, I know for a fact it's this email address since I always got everything swtor on it and it's my main email for use with games etc (also still have some SWTOR news getting send to it, last it was about the new expansion announcement on the 16.06)

I did sign up for a new acc but a) didn't ask me for my email anywhere and b) it's a new one, while the old one had like 3 50s on it and was preferred

the game with the product key is also still up on my origin but launching it from there just thrown me in the log in screen

is my old acc gone? do I need to start everything from scratch? should I contact origin support can they sort out anything?

edit: might be that the email thing is really fucking slow, tried to validate that new acc and also didn't get any emails yet
edit2: nvm, got it now ^^

Matchew

Just did a flashpoint and a guy was getting mad because I chose 'need' on the gear items. Should I not do this and just use greed?

Gothos

I wish they used the expansion to reduce the skill bloat. This game has so many useless skill or skills that are virtually the same as other skills but with different names...

Cystm

Rakghoul Resurgence is back.

http://dulfy.net/2015/06/30/swtor-rakghoul-resurgence-returns-to-tatooine-until-july-7/

SWTOR Rakghoul Resurgence event will be returning to Tatooine from June 30 to July 7.

Rakghouls are back on Tatooine for a week from June 30 to July 7. If you havn’t maxed out your reputation now it is the time to get it done. Head to the fleet and interact with the announcement terminals on the outer rings to get started (or head straight to Tatooine). The event is identical to the last time it showed up on Alderaan in April with the same quests and rewards.

Cystm

Also: https://torcommunity.com/ has been updated a ton since the last time I checked into it and it is pretty great. They have a 3D model viewer that is being updated and have put together a database to take place of torhead.

Aside from Dulfy.net, that's one of the better TOR sites.

I wish they used the expansion to reduce the skill bloat. This game has so many useless skill or skills that are virtually the same as other skills but with different names...

For real...I've been playing for the past few weeks, and this is my biggest complaint with the game right now. They could probably get rid of half the skills for any given character spec, and still retain challenging gameplay, etc.. Also, if they got rid of enough skills, they could release this game on console and do pretty well monetarily IMO.

I've been really enjoying playing through the class quests. I just finished playing through the Shadow of Revan storyline, though, and was pretty disappointed with that and the Hutt Cartel expansions. I can see why they are advertising a 'return to bioware storytelling' after playing these other expansions, as they definitely dropped the ball in that department.

Is the Neogaf guild active at all? I would definitely considering transferring my brigade of characters over if good times could be had in the guild.

Heysoos

For real...I've been playing for the past few weeks, and this is my biggest complaint with the game right now. They could probably get rid of half the skills for any given character spec, and still retain challenging gameplay, etc.. Also, if they got rid of enough skills, they could release this game on console and do pretty well monetarily IMO.

I've been really enjoying playing through the class quests. I just finished playing through the Shadow of Revan storyline, though, and was pretty disappointed with that and the Hutt Cartel expansions. I can see why they are advertising a 'return to bioware storytelling' after playing these other expansions, as they definitely dropped the ball in that department.

Is the Neogaf guild active at all? I would definitely considering transferring my brigade of characters over if good times could be had in the guild.

At the moment, no not really. I'm seriously considering reviving the raiding group, already have some people interested. So if you're interested in that hit me up. Otherwise right now, the guild is pretty inactive.

StudioTan

Crafting the Next Story of Star Wars: The Old Republic

Couple of interesting quotes:

"In Knights of the Fallen Empire you are the main character, and it’s really an origin story. As the Outlander, you have a chance to take control of your destiny and reshape who you are."

"Companions are one of the things that set Star Wars: The Old Republic apart. We have a new cast of characters joining you for the main storyline, and we’ll be bringing back many fan favorite companions as major characters in post-release story chapters.
You’ll have a chance to recruit even more companions once you complete the story chapters at launch. We’re also overhauling the companion system so that they’re more useful and more fun to use in general."

This all sounds like they wanted to almost start the game from scratch, maybe they painted themselves into too many corners with the original way they set it up? So they're keeping the stuff they liked and removing all the fluff.

There was also an interview on a podcast recently where they said there are still MMO things in the works but right now they're only talking about the story aspects of the new content.

All of this stuff is considered Season 1 and is planned to go for the next year.

I really hope they can deliver on monthly story content (ignoring their holiday break which is why we're getting multiple chapters to begin with). I know they brought over all the people who were working on Shadow Realms after it was cancelled so maybe they have enough staff and a pipeline in place that allows them to do this stuff quickly now?

Ashodin

oh shit, are they going to make companions swappable between types? Can I have Kira as a tank now!?
goodjob.gif

StudioTan

oh shit, are they going to make companions swappable between types? Can I have Kira as a tank now!?
goodjob.gif

That's what it seems like. Seems like they are just keeping the popular ones and letting people choose the ones they want to have? I don't know.

Ashodin

Man I think once they get going with story updates they're going to fire on all cylinders. Just an influx of story story story. They need to seriously put themselves out there with the idea "the absolute best story MMO EVER".

Hm I kinda hope we get some info on stuff before the expansion. I seriously can't see them just having the game kinda end then a time skip with where it's at. It feels like we are missing another big chunk of story yet and the release is not all that far away on this expansion now.

But yea this all confirms what we've been guessing at for a while now, but essentially making it more of a single player game.

StudioTan

Hm I kinda hope we get some info on stuff before the expansion. I seriously can't see them just having the game kinda end then a time skip with where it's at. It feels like we are missing another big chunk of story yet and the release is not all that far away on this expansion now.

But yea this all confirms what we've been guessing at for a while now, but essentially making it more of a single player game.

They have 2 cantina stops in the next month, one on the 11th at the SDCC and then 2 during Gamescom on the 6th and 7th of Aug. I'm sure we'll be getting more info during those.

Ashodin

From that article:

That’s why we’re revisiting the early gameplay experience to focus entirely on the story, in addition to crafting a brand new epic storyline.

I firmly believe they're going to just make the "base story" playable all the way ala 12x exp forever. In fact, they might just cut out all the extra quests that are unnecessary and make the planets all about the story.

I think I'm the only person in the whole game that likes the little side quests. lol

They kinda build on the lore of each planet, and really make each planet feel less like a "level". Taris, in particular, is a standout for me.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think I'm the only person in the whole game that likes the little side quests. lol

They kinda build on the lore of each planet, and really make each planet feel less like a "level". Taris, in particular, is a standout for me.
When doing all the side quests on planets like Alderaan and Balmorra, you really feel like you are involved within the conflict that is happening rather than just passing through to finish up your class quest. Those were very satisfying (playing as sith)

Patryn

From that article:

I firmly believe they're going to just make the "base story" playable all the way ala 12x exp forever. In fact, they might just cut out all the extra quests that are unnecessary and make the planets all about the story.

The idea of that kind of worries me, and the thing is that I could totally see it happening.

I just hope if they drop quests, they don't drop planetary chains.

I disable 12x and just play everything.

I don't think they will get rid of any quests, they simply will make it completely optional now, kinda like how it is with the 12x always on. I just see them maybe tweaking the game to be just permanent 12x xp style game

StudioTan

Operations and Flashpoints in Fallen Empire

For Flashpoints, we have made quite a few changes to give you more options on what to play, and how to play them. For starters, all of the Flashpoints which are important to the core story have had a Solo Mode added, similar to what we did for the Forged Alliances Flashpoints. Also, those Solo Modes are repeatable, so you can play through them again if you want! These Solo Mode Flashpoints use a new level sync system that lowers your character’s level and power to the level of the Flashpoint, ensuring that you’re experiencing the content at the difficulty level intended - you never have to skip story content because you’re over-leveled for it!

Operations are a larger change, in that every single Operation in SWTOR will be raised to level 65! Every Operation will drop a new tier of Elder Game gear, as well as new vanity rewards such as Mounts, Vehicles, and Decorations for your Stronghold. Story Mode Operations will be playable from Level 50 to Level 65, and will grant a Bolster to ensure everyone in your group is prepared! Soa will once again be the ancient Rakatan Warlord who threatens to take over the Galaxy, with the challenge to match!

More at the link. Good stuff!

EDIT: Just noticed no new Ops in Fallen Empire though :(

Top Bottom