• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

In addition to the above reasons, SWTOR is about 2 steps removed from being outright single player, so there's not much of the LFG talk that takes up a lot of other MMO threads.

Heysoos

Pretty much, I was thinking of reviving the GAF progression raid group, but I want to wait and see what direction the game is going in. Right now, it seems it may not be worth the time and effort to put together a full progression group.

Most LFG talk takes place in game itself, not here. We are not all in the same guild here, I got a separate forum that we plan in our guild meet ups and events.

TraBuch

Banned
Meh. I randomly decided that I'd give this game another try after not playing since...January 2012 and getting a character to the level cap (50) in that one month, but I've forgotten my password and no longer have access to the email address on my account. Bummer.

Syf

Banned
Meh. I randomly decided that I'd give this game another try after not playing since...January 2012 and getting a character to the level cap (50) in that one month, but I've forgotten my password and no longer have access to the email address on my account. Bummer.
Try contacting them maybe. I quit when you did and love the game now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
New expansion trailer tonight. About time we see some in game footage of the new expansion content.

Well that was not worth staying up for. Now to hope and pray the Cantina gives us some actual substance.

Nothing interesting happens to boring generic Jedi guy.

They have extended the time limit to get Niko Okarr, you need to be a sub b4 Gamescom ends.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It was short but the graphics looks improved to me overall.

StudioTan

Yeah, definitely looks like a step up, visually.

Still kinda confused about how the new story ties into everything, tho :p

I don't think it does. I think they saw the corner they were painted into with 8 base classes, 40+ companions and 2 factions which made it difficult to add new story content with meaningful interaction with your supporting cast. This seems like they're hitting the reset button and whittling things down to a single story and a smaller cast of shared companions which allow them to make a grander overall story but having to sacrifice much of the uniqueness amongst the classes or even factions.

Hopefully it also means more of a branching story though so it's not the exact same thing each time through.

I don't think it does. I think they saw the corner they were painted into with 8 base classes, 40+ companions and 2 factions which made it difficult to add new story content with meaningful interaction with your supporting cast. This seems like they're hitting the reset button and whittling things down to a single story and a smaller cast of shared companions which allow them to make a grander overall story but having to sacrifice much of the uniqueness amongst the classes or even factions.

Hopefully it also means more of a branching story though so it's not the exact same thing each time through.

But then how does that work with existing characters? Do they just get a retcon that resets them to the new status quo?

I mean, I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm dying for more details.

But then how does that work with existing characters? Do they just get a retcon that resets them to the new status quo?

Which existing characters? Your player character becomes the new hero of the universe, so you kinda have to act like your other playable characters are in their own universe as they can't all be the single hero

StudioTan

So far what we know is
your character somehow gets frozen in carbonite and wakes up 5 years later. While you've been asleep the Zakuul empire, previously unknown in the game and lead by the guy in this trailer as well as the CGI trailer from E3 and his sons, have defeated both the Empire and the Republic. You end up being a character known as The Outlander. This is the same for all 8 classes.

Since you were asleep your companions all went off to do their own thing and you'll need to recruit new companions. You'll be able to rejoin with some of your old companions and get new ones who weren't in the game before but they've mentioned that you'll be able to get companions that were previously associated with other classes so my guess is they're going that to reduce the overall number of companions and just give you a large pool to pick and choose from. This is more in line with how other BW games are done. You'll even be able to cause companions to die or piss them off enough that they leave you, again like other BW games.

I'm sure they will address the stuff the with the Emperor since it was a big part of SoR but it doesn't look like he's the main villain in the new expansion.

StudioTan

They're definitely doing something different with the expansion in terms of the graphics. Models seem higher res, textures are more detailed and shadows seem much softer. You can especially see it in how different Lana looks here. These are from the trailer so ignore the bad IQ:

swtorkotfe1gxuvt.jpg

swtorkotfe2n8jmo.jpg

swtorkotfe3njub4.jpg

swtorkotfe43puff.jpg

swtorkotfe5a9kji.jpg

Ashodin

Valkorion's design is amazing - I think it's due to the fact that he has age lines on his forehead and his skin looks like it actually has texture, unlike the majority of characters that just look like plastic toys.

StudioTan

Cantina code from last night, quote to reveal:

This new faction thing still is so odd, unless it's really supposed to be the dark emperor's army in a new body. But it just seems odd to just write off the all powerful emperor with a new bad guy and faction, it seems so redundant.

Are they going to pull nonsense of ANOTHER secret empire that shows up?

This new faction thing still is so odd, unless it's really supposed to be the dark emperor's army in a new body. But it just seems odd to just write off the all powerful emperor with a new bad guy and faction, it seems so redundant.

Are they going to pull nonsense of ANOTHER secret empire that shows up?

Hey, it's a big galaxy. Plenty of secret empires to go around.

fenners

Not sure what this is, but redeemed.

Also got my own. QTR.

It gets you a freebie associated with the Cantina preview, usually some sort of speeder/mount & a random in-game item (usually dyes for me). Next time you log in, you'll have mail with the items. I redeemed yours (multiple people can redeem each link).

Quote to see mine:

Heysoos

So potential new companion list is up on /r/swtor.

Spoilers ahead, read at own risk:

Darth Marr
HK 55
Koth Vortena
Lana Beniko
Nico Okarr
Senya Tirall
Theron Shan

Ocho

It gets you a freebie associated with the Cantina preview, usually some sort of speeder/mount & a random in-game item (usually dyes for me). Next time you log in, you'll have mail with the items. I redeemed yours (multiple people can redeem each link).

Quote to see mine:

Damn I've spotted some before in this thread and never redeemed.

fenners

Damn I've spotted some before in this thread and never redeemed.

There's only been three so far - Star Wars Celebration (which is now timed out), Comic-Con & this new one. You can quote this post to see my Comic-Con redemption link ;)

Top Bottom