• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Video from the cantina event last night - https://youtu.be/pUjhJc8xqng

A few new tidbits in there including the fact that crafting is being revamped.

The other thing I got out of it was that KotFE basically does seem like SWTOR 2.0 as he said they're laying a new foundation for the game going forward which is why new raid content isn't there yet. They wanted to start with the story and build on that.

Some elements of the visuals look better, but think its just like the game updates and digital expansions, which have all kinda upped the visuals of the new content, better textures, lighting etc. Kinda like old school WoW and how they gradually had better visuals in the new content areas while not touching the old content. SoR areas and content already was looking more detailed and better than vanilla SWTOR

Video from the cantina event last night - https://youtu.be/pUjhJc8xqng

A few new tidbits in there including the fact that crafting is being revamped.

The other thing I got out of it was that KotFE basically does seem like SWTOR 2.0 as he said they're laying a new foundation for the game going forward which is why new raid content isn't there yet. They wanted to start with the story and build on that.

I also assume it's a huge test to see how well it does focusing on single player only mainly, and if it does very well, could signal them to essentially cut down on MP focused content. Single player story stuff is a big sell for SWTOR, this could bring a lot of ppl back if it turns out well.

Heysoos

So I just finished the Agent storyline:

It would have been kind of cool to be able to join the Star Cabal. Imps kind of treated my character like shit. Some of what the Republic did wasn't much better. Fuck everyone, but me!

So I just finished the Agent storyline:

It would have been kind of cool to be able to join the Star Cabal. Imps kind of treated my character like shit. Some of what the Republic did wasn't much better. Fuck everyone, but me!

That's why I went rogue and destroyed all the data. Fuck all of them. No one gets the power, and I get to be my own boss.

Heysoos

That's why I went rogue and destroyed all the data. Fuck all of them. No one gets the power, and I get to be my own boss.

See I think I chose that option, kind of. I chose to
keep the data for myself and wiped my name from existance. But it still feels like I'm basically a lapdog for the Empire.
I guess they had to do it this way for story sake but, it would have been nice to work towards my own benefit rather than a faction.

infi

See I think I chose that option, kind of. I chose to
keep the data for myself and wiped my name from existance. But it still feels like I'm basically a lapdog for the Empire.
I guess they had to do it this way for story sake but, it would have been nice to work towards my own benefit rather than a faction.

I just finished the Agent storyline tonight too

I think that option is to pretty much go rogue. You're independent and can do what you want but you can choose to help the empire in future.
I just found out that you can join the SIS in the agent storyline. Even as a light sided Agent I could't let Ardun Kothe live after he mind controlled me though so no joining the SIS for me.

I think out of all the class stories the agent has the toughest choices. With other classes a choice will be obvious depending on the type of character I'm playing but with the Agent I had to stop and think about a lot of the choices.

Kadin

Speaking of PvP, my buddy Strobx on Bastion recently ran into a guy who was talking massive shit to him. He didn't capture all of the chat log but I think what he did grab was enough to warrant the video he capped. Good stuff.

zugzug

wait so will you still have the level 1-55 with companions as you go then hit the reset button where you goto slep for 5 years lose all your companions and start over type of thing?

or when it releases even level 1 new characters won't have the old content? confused how it will work.

Moff

wait so will you still have the level 1-55 with companions as you go then hit the reset button where you goto slep for 5 years lose all your companions and start over type of thing?

or when it releases even level 1 new characters won't have the old content? confused how it will work.

you will be able to create either a level 1 or a level 55 character if I understood that correctly
or create a level 1 character with the possibility to jump to 55 immediately.
they said even new players can jump right in the new content

Subscribers will have the option of creating one new level 60 character that can start the expansion right away. Depending on your class and alignment, the game will assume you made various choices for your personal canon for this character.

No existing characters can be jumped to 60.

The existing 1-60 content will be rebalanced for quicker leveling to allow new characters to get to the expansion at a faster pace, as the 12xp event will be over. We're not sure the details of how this will work, but they've likened it to converting the hours involved back to the original KotOR. Forget the specific numbers in the interview, but they said something like it originally taking ~120 hours down to 30-40.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So main stat for all classes being removed in 4.0 and replaced with a generic "mastery" stat?

Will certainly make gear sharing easier!

I don't understand the change to a Mastery stat. I need a blog post on this from BioWare pronto.

Also killing off Nightmare mode has to sting for whatever hardcore raiding crowd exists within the game currently.

I don't understand the change to a Mastery stat. I need a blog post on this from BioWare pronto.

Also killing off Nightmare mode has to sting for whatever hardcore raiding crowd exists within the game currently.

Sounds like they just want to make it that any gear dropped will work for any class?

Any word of them upgrading the engine?

Outside of modifying it to their own needs, I don't even know if Hero Engine has ever or ever will be upgraded. Changing engines will never happen for sure, entire game would need to be remade essentially

DrBo42

Outside of modifying it to their own needs, I don't even know if Hero Engine has ever or ever will be upgraded. Changing engines will never happen for sure, entire game would need to be remade essentially

Yeah, makes me incredibly sad. Hero engine is rather shite. Don't think they'll ever have the subscriber base or cashflow to support moving to a better one or creating one.

Anyway this talk about focusing more on the single player story is kinda interesting. It's definitely playing to their strength at this point. Hope they find a way to re-approach the group/raiding/pvp portion of the game with new ideas.

fenners

They can't just "upgrade the engine" to something other than Heroengine, that's never going to happen... And they're not going to upgrade to a new version given the time & effort spent fixing the bugs & 'features' from the version they have.

Yeah, makes me incredibly sad. Hero engine is rather shite. Don't think they'll ever have the subscriber base or cashflow to support moving to a better one or creating one.

Anyway this talk about focusing more on the single player story is kinda interesting. It's definitely playing to their strength at this point. Hope they find a way to re-approach the group/raiding/pvp portion of the game with new ideas.

There is nothing wrong with Hero Engine, other games run just fine.

SWTOR is using a highly customized version of it with a custom renderer. It running like shit is on Bioware.

StudioTan

They are constantly upgrading the engine but the old areas are never going to look significantly different. As we've seen though each new area tends to look better than the last. KotFE looks much improved over the other parts of the game but much of that is better models and textures and not engine related.

scoobs

I'm getting the itch to play an MMO again and since WoW:WoD sucks chode, I'm wondering if I could get back into this game.

What is the state of the pvp? Is it truly F2P or am i gated from doing most things?

Heysoos

I'm getting the itch to play an MMO again and since WoW:WoD sucks chode, I'm wondering if I could get back into this game.

What is the state of the pvp? Is it truly F2P or am i gated from doing most things?

Not the friendliest F2P game. You'll be limited to how many Warzones you can do. 5(?) per week unless you get someone to queue with you that's a subscriber. Then so long as they queue with you it's unlimited. Also, there's a huge pvp population gap between Republic and Imperial side.

Not the friendliest F2P game. You'll be limited to how many Warzones you can do. 5(?) per week unless you get someone to queue with you that's a subscriber. Then so long as they queue with you it's unlimited. Also, there's a huge pvp population gap between Republic and Imperial side.
I cannot count how many times I have had to face other Imperials in war zones. It honestly gets annoying sometimes. Maybe if this expansion goes well we can get Imp GAF back up.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yo so for someone that only really cares about the single-player/story aspect of this game, is it worth returning now to finish all the class stories with the xp boost or after the new expansion?

From them saying they want the original game to take about as long as KOTOR, it seems like they are gonna go for an around 6-8x boost in XP gains instead of the 12xp going on now.

StudioTan

From them saying they want the original game to take about as long as KOTOR, it seems like they are gonna go for an around 6-8x boost in XP gains instead of the 12xp going on now.

I can't remember where I read it but I seem to recall someone saying that they were going to make leveling only require doing class quests and all the side quests in the game would no longer give XP but instead grant something else, I think it was alliance points. Take it with a grain of salt though, they could have been wrong or I may have misunderstood.

I can't remember where I read it but I seem to recall someone saying that they were going to make leveling only require doing class quests and all the side quests in the game would no longer give XP but instead grant something else, I think it was alliance points. Take it with a grain of salt though, they could have been wrong or I may have misunderstood.

They would need to modify the leveling requirements or something, as doing just class quests is about 15-20 hours to play through the game. If they want it to take KOTOR length of time to play through, its going to take longer than the current 12xp.... so they must be forcing players to do some side content somehow

StudioTan

They would need to modify the leveling requirements or something, as doing just class quests is about 15-20 hours to play through the game. If they want it to take KOTOR length of time to play through, its going to take longer than the current 12xp.... so they must be forcing players to do some side content somehow

Maybe. There are a lot of decent side quests and planetary arcs so maybe they are integrating some of that? No idea. I know I watched an interview with James Ohlen where he said there won't be any "go here and kill x or click x number of objects" quests during leveling, basically any quests that didn't support the story were gone.

However previously they've also said that they're not removing old content so giving people a new reason to do the side quests seems like a good solution.

Maybe. There are a lot of decent side quests and planetary arcs so maybe they are integrating some of that? No idea. I know I watched an interview with James Ohlen where he said there won't be any "go here and kill x or click x number of objects" quests during leveling, basically any quests that didn't support the story were gone.

However previously they've also said that they're not removing old content so giving people a new reason to do the side quests seems like a good solution.

Are you guys talking about the expansion or the main game?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
What will happen to Shadow of Revan when the new expansion launches? I went back to this game last week but if KOTFE is 60+, does that mean they'll make SoR free? Currently kind of focusing on getting as many characters as possible through their class quests before the 12x exp boost ends.

infi

I used to farm Ziost because the elites drop a lot of creds and respawn fast but lately it seems as if everyone else is there, is there any where else that's good to farm and not over crowded?

What will happen to Shadow of Revan when the new expansion launches? I went back to this game last week but if KOTFE is 60+, does that mean they'll make SoR free? Currently kind of focusing on getting as many characters as possible through their class quests before the 12x exp boost ends.

Subscribers will get SoR for free when the new expansion launches.

Maybesew

Hey I haven't played this game in ages. Is there a pretty active GAF community? There are several story lines that I would like to play thru still...

Heysoos

Hey I haven't played this game in ages. Is there a pretty active GAF community? There are several story lines that I would like to play thru still...

A lot of GAF players are spread out across different servers. The official GAF guild is on Jedi Covenant Republic side, that said, it's not that active atm. I probably won't go through the effort of rebuilding/recruiting for the guild until I see how the new expansion turns out. That said, the guild has some nice stuff. Guild Ship and Guild Stronghold. Both XP bonuses and a guild bank packed with stuff.

Rizzi

The new expansion seems interesting, but unless they make the game not run like complete dogshit I don't really think I'll pick it back up.

Kadin

So apparently companions will now be able to fulfill all 3 roles and something about their gear no longer working as it does now. Seemed to me that their stats will simply be based of yours although you can still change the look of their gear.

All from the stream today which took a long time due to some fun technical issues.

edit: also Cantina Code to share - http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/5vwg

recap at reddit

edit2: whoops, should have hid mine. Ah well, there's plenty to go around.

Cystm

So apparently companions will now be able to fulfill all 3 roles and something about their gear no longer working as it does now. Seemed to me that their stats will simply be based of yours although you can still change the look of their gear.

All from the stream today which took a long time due to some fun technical issues.

edit: also Cantina Code to share - http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/5vwg

recap at reddit

Thanks, mine is QTR:

StudioTan

I watched the stream. The expansion looks really really good. Companions having the ability to do all 3 roles was hinted at and it's a really good change. As well as not having to worry about gearing companions for stats as their stats are based on your gear. It was always a pain wanting to use a companion only to realize they were wearing shit gear and it wasn't worth the effort gearing them up.

Top Bottom