• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Tendo

I'm on Harbinger, it probably has the highest population as it is the default location for everyone APAC and therefore it probably has the most consistent pop around the clock.

The RP servers, while they may report high population, they are much smaller servers hence high on an RP server is low on a PVE server.

Awesome! thanks! My highest is a sith tank that only ever got 30. Might move them over and mess around playing again!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Great stream. Loved pretty much all the changes.

It's a good move to change 12x XP to class and planetary quests. There are a lot of good planetary arcs so I'm glad there's a reason to do them. I just wish there was another reason to do the "exploration" quests other than XP.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That Amazon bundle looks really tempting as I haven't played any of the expansions. I was big on this game late last year but lost interest for some reason (probably got tired of the MMO grind). I would definitely be a lot more interested if I got 12x story quest XP though. Would I get that through this Amazon bundle?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That Amazon bundle looks really tempting as I haven't played any of the expansions. I was big on this game late last year but lost interest for some reason (probably got tired of the MMO grind). I would definitely be a lot more interested if I got 12x story quest XP though. Would I get that through this Amazon bundle?

Yep. 12x XP only lasts until the next expansion but even after it'll be almost the same. 20 days is enough to do a couple of stories at least as they take about 15-20 hours.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. 12x XP only lasts until the next expansion but even after it'll be almost the same. 20 days is enough to do a couple of stories at least as they take about 15-20 hours.

Oh so I'd only get 12x XP for the next month? What happens when the expansion launches - does the 12x XP go away?

StudioTan

Oh so I'd only get 12x XP for the next month? What happens when the expansion launches - does the 12x XP go away?

Right now you get 12x XP for class quests only which means you can level just doing those and nothing else. They said today that once the expansion hits you'll need to do the class quests and the main planetary story arcs. It probably adds like 5 or 6 extras quests required per planet (my memory may be a bit fuzzy on that). It's still gonna be fast but not quite as fast as now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Goooot it, thanks. Looks like you don't get access to the Hutt Cartel and Shadow of Revan until KOTFE launches, so maybe I'll wait on it.

Edit: so actually I have a level 20 on a west coast RP server and I'm thinking it would make more sense to move to a PvE server. Is there a way for me to find a character code so I can recreate my exact same character on another server? Or will I need to do it from scratch?

There's an appearance changing station in the cartel section of the fleet. If you interact with it, you can see the current sliders for your character. Can't import them, but you can jot them down and make an identical character.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
There's an appearance changing station in the cartel section of the fleet. If you interact with it, you can see the current sliders for your character. Can't import them, but you can jot them down and make an identical character.

Ooh, thanks! Alternatively I could just spend the 90 Cartel Coins to transfer my character from Begeren Colony to Harbinger. Given that I just attached an authenticator to my account (which you can now apparently do with F2P accounts) and you get a monthly grant of 100 CC for having an authenticator attached, I may just go that route and save myself the hassle.

I'm kinda interested in trying out this game again. I did once before and got to level 7 as a Jedi Knight, but don't really have any lasting memories from it. I'm usually a lawful good kinda guy but am thinking of going Dark Side. Which of the two Dark Side lightsaber users has the more fun gameplay and/or better story? And am I correct in my understanding that you can respec trees in each advanced class but can't switch advanced classes?

Also is Harbinger the highest pop server?

I just wish there was another reason to do the "exploration" quests other than XP.

I just wish there were enough side quests that were actually interesting enough to be worth doing. There's a few side quests on some of the earlier planets that were kind of interesting. It seems like as time went on, the designers got lazy or rushed and just made a short cinematic to justify run-of-the-mill kill or click quota quests:

"I need these things killed."

"Thanks for killing them. Here's your reward."

That's about the extent of the story for 90% of the side quests. I try to do all the side quests on each planet with at least one character, but every time I do I regret it. I'm actually pretty happy you just have to do planet line and class quests. Planet line quests are usually pretty interesting and usually hit the same areas as the class quests so you're going to be there anyway. Not that much extra time. I think it's fair. I was dreading having to go back to the old way of leveling but this feels like a decent compromise.

I just wish there were enough side quests that were actually interesting enough to be worth doing. There's a few side quests on some of the earlier planets that were kind of interesting. It seems like as time went on, the designers got lazy or rushed and just made a short cinematic to justify run-of-the-mill kill or click quota quests:

That's about the extent of the story for 90% of the side quests. I try to do all the side quests on each planet with at least one character, but every time I do I regret it. I'm actually pretty happy you just have to do planet line and class quests. Planet line quests are usually pretty interesting and usually hit the same areas as the class quests so you're going to be there anyway. Not that much extra time. I think it's fair. I was dreading having to go back to the old way of leveling but this feels like a decent compromise.

Side quests were alright when they were around same area as main quests, you had option of doing them for extra xp and such. But now there is no reason to do them if they give no real reward anymore.

StudioTan

I'm kinda interested in trying out this game again. I did once before and got to level 7 as a Jedi Knight, but don't really have any lasting memories from it. I'm usually a lawful good kinda guy but am thinking of going Dark Side. Which of the two Dark Side lightsaber users has the more fun gameplay and/or better story? And am I correct in my understanding that you can respec trees in each advanced class but can't switch advanced classes?

Also is Harbinger the highest pop server?

You can actually play any of the classes as light side or dark side, Republic or Imperial. In fact that's often some of the best dialogue when you play against type. Some do work better than other though. I was able to play my Bounty Hunter as someone who really cared mostly about money and only killed when necessary. Agent was probably the easiest to choose light side since it's more like a spy story and he wasn't a ruthless killer.

I haven't completed either of the two Imperial saber users stories yet so I can't comment too much on those. I'm working my way through Inquisitor now as an Assassin and it's a lot of fun but even though the story is geared towards being evil I still make light side choices most of the time and only choose dark when I feel it suits the character.

I agree for the most part but there were a few that had fun conversations and dialogue choices even if the quests objectives were standard click-this/kill-that stuff.

Come October 27 will everyone be leveling at the new rate or just subscribers?

I don't think they've said but I would be prepared that preferred and free to play will have to do every quest like they do now. That's just a guess though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I used to play back at launch. It's been awhile. Wanted to play some SW stories but it seems I'm probably locked out of my old account because I have long since lost my authenticator key. Worth talking to customer service or should I just start a new account?

I used to play back at launch. It's been awhile. Wanted to play some SW stories but it seems I'm probably locked out of my old account because I have long since lost my authenticator key. Worth talking to customer service or should I just start a new account?
Talk to customer service because former box purchases are upgraded to Preferred status. Being a Preferred status account makes it a bit easier to move around the restrictions than a normal F2P account.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is it viable playing this casually? (Basically for the stories)

Is the gaf guild active? Would be nice being social

StudioTan

You're going be in for a nice surprise, you've probably been getting 100 Cartel Coins each month for having an authenticator on your account. That's what happened to my wife despite not being subbed since soon after launch.

Also there should be an option when you log in to say you lost your key, you shouldn't need to talk to CS.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I took advantage of the 95cc server transfers the other day to bring my legacy unlocks over to Harbinger. I think I'm gonna level up a juggernaut, I like how they get shatter at level 10 now when you spec vengeance.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You would be leveling at 75% of what subscribers get in terms of XP. They still haven't lifted that restriction and probably never will because they don't listen to F2P concerns.

That's not bad I guess. It means I'll probably have to do some exploration missions in addition to the class and planet story missions, which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Is it viable playing this casually? (Basically for the stories)

Is the gaf guild active? Would be nice being social

I play this game super casually and it's fun. The fact that all missions come with cutscenes and you get to make conversation decisions makes it feel like a more fun MMO experience. It's also fun doing missions in groups because when it comes to conversations you each make a decision and then the game will randomly pick one of your group to speak with the decision they made. So it becomes a fun game of hoping you get to respond with your conversation choice rather than your friend.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You're going be in for a nice surprise, you've probably been getting 100 Cartel Coins each month for having an authenticator on your account. That's what happened to my wife despite not being subbed since soon after launch.

Also there should be an option when you log in to say you lost your key, you shouldn't need to talk to CS.

Yeah, I saw that. I have like 4000 Cartel Coins. What are these things best used for anyway? Any tips? I started over as a Jedi Counselor. I'm in the mood for some SW story fun time. =)

StudioTan

I'm think about getting back into it after jumping off for a while after Hutt Cartels. Anybody still around and any tips for majors changes to be aware of?

StudioTan

The new launcher is pretty slick looking:

swtorlauncherynss6.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It's a crappy process involving downloading the entire game again, but I found it worth the trouble.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/3be1gy/howto_disable_bitraider_and_fix_the_reorganizing/

Yup, I used this guide and am really happy with the results. The only thing I would add to your link is the following:

To follow-up:

GET BITRAIDER OFF YOUR SYSTEM

Go to:
C:\Users\Public\Documents
Delete the Bitraider folder
Uninstall Bitraider via the normal means

That one folder contains the files that makes Bitraider think it's still in use by SWTOR, and prevents the un-installation.

You do have to deal with the launcher re-downloading the entire damn game, which is annoying, but worth the hassle I think.

Edit: New post on the official blog about the new leveling system. Looks like everyone (including free players) will only need to complete class and planet missions to progress from 1-60. This is a great change IMO.

Mordeccai

So apparently I activated the amazon bundle on my account with only one level 1 character about 10 days ago and just got a chance to install the client and find out. No idea why I even had two accounts, but there it is.

I played like 2.5 years ago, is it worth contacting customer service and transferring the bundle to my main account? Before I left I gave away all my credits to a new swtor gaffer but kept most of my items. Just wondering if everything has changed enough to make my mats, mods, legacy, etc. etc. all useless and just roll with a fresh account.

Top Bottom