• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Is the 12x xp still live? I wanted to get in and last minute level before Knights (and before main planetary quests become essential).

Anyone on harbinger willing to buy me a crystal off the GTN in exchange for a cartel pack of your choice? I haven't bought the packs yet so you'd have to wait the 2 days or however long it is. I just started playing and want a decent crystal, and I have the coins from the amazon pack. Not trying to scam

Kadin

Anyone on harbinger willing to buy me a crystal off the GTN in exchange for a cartel pack of your choice? I haven't bought the packs yet so you'd have to wait the 2 days or however long it is. I just started playing and want a decent crystal, and I have the coins from the amazon pack. Not trying to scam
I can help ya on Harbinger. What crystal are you after - color/stat?

Send me a message in-game to Kadìn - the letter 'i' is typed with alt code 141. This character has a lot of crystals in storage so I might have one I can give ya.

edit: oh and post your name here so I know it's you.

I can help ya on Harbinger. What crystal are you after - color/stat?

Send me a message in-game to Kadìn - the letter 'i' is typed with alt code 141. This character has a lot of crystals in storage so I might have one I can give ya.

edit: oh and post your name here so I know it's you.

Name in game is Nhaku, will message momentarily!

Kadin

Name in game is Nhaku, will message momentarily!
Meant to tell ya that you can get unlimited of those now since you've used it in Collections, if you weren't aware. Just open up Collections, find the crystal and then click the arrow to get another. It's only for that character unless you unlock it for cartel coins on another character. Enjoy the game!

If you buy a legacy weapon or offhand you can move colour crystals between characters without unlocking them account wide.
Good point, forgot about that. And it's cheap to remove them so yeah that's the best option.

Meant to tell ya that you can get unlimited of those now since you've used it in Collections, if you weren't aware. Just open up Collections, find the crystal and then click the arrow to get another. It's only for that character unless you unlock it for cartel coins on another character. Enjoy the game!

If you buy a legacy weapon or offhand you can move colour crystals between characters without unlocking them account wide.

Good point, forgot about that. And it's cheap to remove them so yeah that's the best option.

Thank you. I'll probably just do the collection unlock though, seems like it'd be a bit of a hassle to move a weapon around across the legacy. I have spare coins.

Louis010

Banned
With all the star wars hype around again at the moment I've decided now would be a good time to resub. The last time I played was 3 months after launch, I loved the game but had to stop because money was tight. As far as I remember I have a level 40 something smuggler level 35+ sage and a bunch of other chars.

Can anyone tell me what's changed since then, and what's the best way to play to catch up with all the expansions without just skipping everything.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
With all the star wars hype around again at the moment I've decided now would be a good time to resub. The last time I played was 3 months after launch, I loved the game but had to stop because money was tight. As far as I remember I have a level 40 something smuggler level 35+ sage and a bunch of other chars.

Can anyone tell me what's changed since then, and what's the best way to play to catch up with all the expansions without just skipping everything.

There have been many major and minor changes since you played. Best place to look is here - https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/major_changes

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm super hyped for this whole Knights story thing, but I'm really hoping the whole episodic thing doesn't become like a monster of the week TV show. 1-2 hour throwaway missions every month and no story resolution whatsoever in the initial launch would really suck :/.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've been playing new chars on Harbinger lately, and I remembered that I still have an unequipped Tythonian Force Master saber that I found on the GTN for like 100 credits a couple of years ago. I was always planning to sell it but I might just say fuck it, equip it on on my lowbie juggernaut, then pay some CC to unlock a copy on my sorc.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm super hyped for this whole Knights story thing, but I'm really hoping the whole episodic thing doesn't become like a monster of the week TV show. 1-2 hour throwaway missions every month and no story resolution whatsoever in the initial launch would really suck :/.

It's all one story.

Dineren

Banned
I think I read somewhere that starting new expansion content would make it impossible to complete your companion quests. Is that the case? I've been thinking about playing again, but I've only got a level 25 character and didn't want to miss out on any of the companion stuff. I assume it will be pretty hard to accidentally activate any of that?

Moff

I think I read somewhere that starting new expansion content would make it impossible to complete your companion quests. Is that the case? I've been thinking about playing again, but I've only got a level 25 character and didn't want to miss out on any of the companion stuff. I assume it will be pretty hard to accidentally activate any of that?

I don't know about companions but you most certainly miss out the class story and that's definitely more to worry about if you only have a level 25 character

StudioTan

And the Amazon pack gets it all or just what's out during sub?

Also current x12 would mean only class needed?

In terms of the expansion? You'll get the first 9 chapters if you're subbed when it launched and you don't lose it if your sub lapses. Basically when you sub you'd get all chapters released until that point.

Yes to your second question.

This is true. You can't go back and complete your class quest or any companion stuff if you start the expansion. It's not something you'd do by accident, there is a Play button to start each chapter and I'm pretty sure they give you a warning about not being able to go back before you start it.

iosefe

In terms of the expansion? You'll get the first 9 chapters if you're subbed when it launched and you don't lose it if your sub lapses. Basically when you sub you'd get all chapters released until that point.

Yes to your second question.

awesome. i think i can live with that

i've only just reached Quesh on my main char though. got a fair distance to go still

doc bugged out and decided he din't want to heal me anymore...

jerk

EDIT. jk. would you believe i accidentally set him to passive mode?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

So can you sub for the first 9 chapters, then quit until the rest of the chapters are released and then resub and finish them all up? Or would you have to buy each chapter despite subbing say 5 months down the line?

Hixx

Have they made any improvements to the engine performance in the last year or two?

Very recently they released a patch that made loading noticably quicker which has been my biggest frustration since I got a PC that can just brute force the other aspects of performance. I think they improved shadow performance too? And the AA solution isn't terrible now either. Actually looks quite clean on very high.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The game had all these random stutters that were driving me crazy until I found this video on YouTube that said turning off "scale nameplates with distance" fixes the stuttering. Lo and behold my game runs flawlessly now at max settings. The downside is that everyone's nameplates are freaking massive now (players and NPCs), but I think I can live with that if it means smooth graphics performance.

So weird that that's the one setting that affects performance.

mileS

Thanks guys! that alone convinced me to download again. Loved the game but the little stutters and crappy performance turned me in the past.

So if I sub I'll lose the epic story XP boost on the 19th? Guess I picked a strange time to rejoin. I'll want to level more than one character and I certainly won't have the time to do even one within that time.

If I sub before the 19th I get early access right? *edit* nvm I read that wrong.

Cystm

finally reach hoth.

it's huge right? :/

It's annoyingly big after your first play through. There is an area in the map that has giant canyon that if you find yourself down in, is a huge pain in the ass to get out of. Couple that with it also not exactly being clear on the map the best way to get around it as well.

One of my least favorite planets in the game. Balmorra and probably Voss after that.

iosefe

It's annoyingly big after your first play through. There is an area in the map that has giant canyon that if you find yourself down in, is a huge pain in the ass to get out of. Couple that with it also not exactly being clear on the map the best way to get around it as well.

One of my least favorite planets in the game. Balmorra and probably Voss after that.

i lost a fair amount of interest for a bit at Balmorra, but then i subbed yesterday, finshed it off no problem, and made my way to Quesh finished that today.

currently level 41. so i guess i'm on a hotstreak. i will probably dislike hoth on my Consular or smuggler

StudioTan

Thanks guys! that alone convinced me to download again. Loved the game but the little stutters and crappy performance turned me in the past.

So if I sub I'll lose the epic story XP boost on the 19th? Guess I picked a strange time to rejoin. I'll want to level more than one character and I certainly won't have the time to do even one within that time.

If I sub before the 19th I get early access right? *edit* nvm I read that wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing the XP boost, after the expansion drops you'll be able to level with class story and planetary story arc missions which will still be much faster than it used to be. All other side quests are optional.

So can you sub for the first 9 chapters, then quit until the rest of the chapters are released and then resub and finish them all up? Or would you have to buy each chapter despite subbing say 5 months down the line?

They said you get all the content as soon as you sub, so you could just sub once all the chapters are released and get everything released up until that point.

From the FAQ:

9. What if I unsubscribe from Star Wars: The Old Republic after October?
If you unsubscribe after October 27, 2015, you will keep the first 9 Chapters of Knights of the Fallen Empire, but will not receive any additional Chapters when they are released.

10. What if I don’t subscribe until all the Chapters are released?
If you subscribe after the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire, you will receive all the content that has been released up to that date. However, as a subscriber you are eligible for great benefits that you don’t want to miss out on such as a monthly Cartel Coin grant and access to the full spectrum of character species.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It kinda feels like it would be a better deal to wait to subscribe until next year if you don't foresee playing very much over the holidays since you'll get more episodes.

mileS

I'm confused. Do I need to still buy Shadow of Revan? Or will I have it if I sub?
That or I'd have to buy it unless I wait until the 27th when the next expansion comes out and get it for free (if subbed)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. Do I need to still buy Shadow of Revan? Or will I have it if I sub?
That or I'd have to buy it unless I wait until the 27th when the next expansion comes out and get it for free (if subbed)

If you're subbed after the 27th you get all previous expansions for free I think.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Desperately trying to finish my class stories before the 19th... holy shit is the trooper story boring as fuck. The first act was OK, but act two and three, wow. I got to level 44, but I think I'm done lol. Hopefully the jedi sage or scoundrel stories are better.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Desperately trying to finish my class stories before the 19th... holy shit is the trooper story boring as fuck. The first act was OK, but act two and three, wow. I got to level 44, but I think I'm done lol. Hopefully the jedi sage or scoundrel stories are better.

Yea I feel like most of the stories are pretty front loaded. Bounty hunter also has a great act 1 but mediocre 2 and 3

IMO, by leaps and bounds, the worst story in the game. And it's made that much worse by having to constantly run back to Coruscant. Smuggler story is pretty bad, but not as bad as trooper. Consular story is pretty decent, especially as female since her voice is the sexiest in the game.

Syf

Banned
Another vote for trooper having the worst in the game. I only finished it because I absolutely loved playing that class.

Beepos

With Star Wars hype with the upcoming movies, have active players found more people coming back to game in terms of server population?

Are there really active servers at all anymore, or just ghost planets for the majority?

Damn I already wasn't looking forward to playing Republic side (currently leveling Inquisitor and Warrior) these votes of confidence are making me dread them. As of Nar Shadaa though, Warrior's story is a ton more entertaining than Inquisitor.

With Star Wars hype with the upcoming movies, have active players found more people coming back to game in terms of server population?

Are there really active servers at all anymore, or just ghost planets for the majority?

I just started playing, and at least on the largest server (Harbinger), I see people all time. The Fleet is incredibly crowded.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Damn I already wasn't looking forward to playing Republic side (currently leveling Inquisitor and Warrior) these votes of confidence are making me dread them. As of Nar Shadaa though, Warrior's story is a ton more entertaining than Inquisitor.

Yeah I really love all the sith stories way more than the republic. My enjoyment rankings: IA > SW >>> Inq = BH > JK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trooper. Still gotta beat consular, and I think I'll just pass on Smuggler. Imperial agent was one of the best video game stories I've played in a long time, props to whoever wrote that. Every class quest was awesome and the intrigue/decisions were great.

I gotta get my main (marauder) from 50 to 60 before the 27th. Is 50 - 55 still a boring ass grind or did they speed it up a bit? Dumped like 13 mil credits on my mara outfit, GOTTA LOOK GOOD--most important thing in every MMO.
mozz_shopkeep.gif

Top Bottom