• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Like always I've spent the first hour just going through my inventory and figuring out all the changes lol.

Also, all my companions pants got returned in the mail...must have been some party.

Do the republic and empire ones stack?

They are the same on the common planets. Ones like Balmorra indicate Republic or Imperial.

Dineren

Banned
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I use my companions now? I was only able to log in for a short time this morning, but none of my companions could be summoned from the menu. I went back to the ship, but after talking to them there is still no option to use them. Am I just missing something really simple?

Edit: Not sure if it matters, but I had just started the Belsavis quest line at level 41.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I see people on forums bemoaning that HK-51 lost all his uniqueness in the companion normalization. That's kind of a drag. I like the direction overall of making every companion able to do anything and keeping your choice aesthetic/story related instead of min/max, but it kind of feels off to have the special quest companions be functionally identical to the regular ones.

I see people on forums bemoaning that HK-51 lost all his uniqueness in the companion normalization. That's kind of a drag. I like the direction overall of making every companion able to do anything and keeping your choice aesthetic/story related instead of min/max, but it kind of feels off to have the special quest companions be functionally identical to the regular ones.

Yea that part of the companion thing really kills off much of their uniqueness. And with how they changed affection system, it really doesn't matter much anymore how and when you use companions.

I understand one of the big reasons was because for many popular builds, lot of the companions were never used, but this just really dilutes the whole system

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I can't be that upset, any change that allows hunters to actually use Blizz without gimping themselves is OK by me.

Moff

what exactly are people upset about concerning HK?

personally, I think all companions being able to fullful all roles should have been in the game from start. I think it's a shame that you seem to lose all you class specific companions now, though. I hope I'll get them back later.

Paganmoon

Man there should've been preloading for this. I didn't even know there was an expansion coming (I just started playing again, and thought Shadow of Revan was the new one), so big surprise with the patch today heh.

Looks like it's going to take a few hours to update.

Edit: Went a lot quicker than expected.

Anoregon

what exactly are people upset about concerning HK?

He had a unique ability set, including abilities like assassinate that made him pretty much the best DPS companion. He lost that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This is freaking amazing so far, just about 20 minutes into chapter 3. Certainly a HUUUUUGE step up from the base game in terms of storytelling and graphics. A lot of new effects everywhere.

Chapter 2 was certainly a lot less than an hour though although it makes sense why when you play it.

Even in the first 20 minutes of chapter 3 I've been in about 5 or 6 distinct environments, it really feels like a place instead of copy/pasted locations. It's even more evident because I've been leveling so much lately. They must have really improved their tools if they expect to be able to keep up this quality on a monthly basis.

Need to take a break for lunch, can't wait to play more.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I opened up the client this morning as I was getting ready for work and was impressed that the whole ~11GB patch downloaded and installed in less than 30 minutes. Looking forward to doing some new and improved leveling later tonight by ignoring all the non-essential story missions.

Mordeccai

Since I dont have early access, I'm just going to level up my Guardian for the next week.

But guys. Guys. Companions are so broken right now, in a good way. I gave my T7 all of the purple gifts I had been hording from years ago on my main and bought a few (okay, like 200) of the level 2 gifts from the vendor on fleet and leveled his influence up to 11.

It doesn't matter if he's in DPS, tank, or healer mode. T7 fucking one shots any mob he pleases. I have 900 presence when he is summoned. If he throws a grenade into a pack, everything dies.
TadkV.gif
I'm just on Coruscant at lvl 16 right now, but I can't imagine this kind of damage scales down what with companions having maxed out gear permanently now.

This, combined with the no pants shenanigans, has been quite hilarious. Shame I have to go to work soon.

Anoregon

So apparently you get
Darth Marr
as a companion in KOTFE? That's cool, he's a pretty cool guy.

Repo Man

FML! Thought I'd have a quick play after my late shift at work, come home, patch the game while having my dinner and all that... I leave work and the alarms kick off due to some malfunction and eventually get home 1h 15mins late. Have my dinner and boot up my pc and the installer starts its Reorganizing data crap... Fine! I'll sit through it for 30 mins... Then verifying data for 5 minutes and now we start patching which is looking to take about 20-30 mins and by then I'll probably be too tired to play >.<

LAME!

I'm gonna have to do the responsible thing here and quit my job and let my missus be the only earner.

mileS

It's worth it though now that I can use any companion that I want.

It's a game changer for leveling up or solo in general. Such a good change. Leveled up my JK recently and I don't think I could have done it as easily without Doc (heals :p). Not sure why my JK guardian felt so squishy leveling up... I would keep my weapon and gear up to date every 3-4 levels so it can't be that.

So much fun to pick the companion you want to or even just switch it up without having to adjust your playstyle or basically nerf yourself in a way.

Anoregon

So my level 18 Jugg is straight up immune to damage with vette heals. What a good waifu.

Allard

It's a game changer for leveling up or solo in general. Such a good change. Leveled up my JK recently and I don't think I could have done it as easily without Doc (heals :p). Not sure why my JK guardian felt so squishy leveling up... I would keep my weapon and gear up to date every 3-4 levels so it can't be that.

So much fun to pick the companion you want to or even just switch it up without having to adjust your playstyle or basically nerf yourself in a way.

Yeah companion change is a game changer. I will miss the combat uniqueness but for the game going forward making it possible for you to easily have companions come and go, switch and play how you want to play and make them play around your character rather then force your way in a particular role in order to play with them makes the leveling experience so much more open and fun. And although I sorta liked the concept when the game first started out; the great increase in story EXP showed a great flaw in the armor stat system on companions so that too I am glad got simplified.

Now I just work with the companion I like to play with and I get stronger and stronger with them as I play the game naturally. As others have said, I can play with Blizz on any spec I want on Bounty Hunter or perhaps get on a different character with the new alliance system. And although I have already 'suffered' through it I can actually have a healer earlier then the late 30's now on Smuggler for a companion... I might actually make a gunslinger character now with the 4.0 update just to enjoy it and make Risha or Bowdaar my healer :3

Ashodin

Fuck the animations and UI changes are so gooooooooooood. Like everything looks sleeker and slicker now. Animation transitions are AMAZING.

Anoregon

My level 16 sorc is on Balmorra and somehow doesn't have the ship droid companion. I guess that's a fun bug, lol.

Anoregon

Soloing Heroic 2+'s as a level 21 with a healer companion is stupid easy. Vette 2stronk

Hixx

I got like 3 levels from solo mode Esseles and like 8000 influence with Jorgan or something, plus a mount which was pretty sweet, saves me 10k. Wonder if all of the solo mode flashpoints are as worthwhile...

Mordeccai

FML! Thought I'd have a quick play after my late shift at work, come home, patch the game while having my dinner and all that... I leave work and the alarms kick off due to some malfunction and eventually get home 1h 15mins late. Have my dinner and boot up my pc and the installer starts its Reorganizing data crap... Fine! I'll sit through it for 30 mins... Then verifying data for 5 minutes and now we start patching which is looking to take about 20-30 mins and by then I'll probably be too tired to play >.<

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm gonna have to do the responsible thing here and quit my job and let my missus be the only earner.

You must be new to this forum. If you had posted this in a higher visibility thread, Im pretty sure mods would have banned you already.

Using gay as a slur is not acceptable on this forum whatsoever.

Hard to believe someone with a 'missus' and a job could be so daft.

Back on topic: I think I have a healing addiction. The only toons I want to play are my scoundrel and sorcerer and I just wanna top off those health bars with them. Guardian is boring me so far, just smash smash smash. Maybe I should have gone sentinel :/

Finished the first nine chapters about an hour ago. Really wish I didn't have to wait until January for them to start pumping them out again.

Also, do not use your Nico Okarr companion unlock before you start KotFE. Wait until you finish all nine chapters or else you're going to lose him. I just learned this lesson the hard way.

Bloodember

Finished the first nine chapters about an hour ago. Really wish I didn't have to wait until January for them to start pumping them out again.

Also, do not use your Nico Okarr companion unlock before you start KotFE. Wait until you finish all nine chapters or else you're going to lose him. I just learned this lesson the hard way.
How do you lose him?

Repo Man

You must be new to this forum. If you had posted this in a higher visibility thread, Im pretty sure mods would have banned you already.

Using gay as a slur is not acceptable on this forum whatsoever.

Hard to believe someone with a 'missus' and a job could be so daft.

Back on topic: I think I have a healing addiction. The only toons I want to play are my scoundrel and sorcerer and I just wanna top off those health bars with them. Guardian is boring me so far, just smash smash smash. Maybe I should have gone sentinel :/

My apologies.

I lost almost 3 planets worth of mission progress on one of my characters with this patch. When I logged out a few days ago with this character I was almost through the Alderaan class missions and now after the patch it shows I am on a mission on Nar Shaddaa.

I even still have the companion you pick up on Tatooine.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I never got my sub speeder on the 19th, muddafuckas :(.

Does anyone know if the Knights of the Fallen Empire story quests are playable as a group? Wanna play with a buddy or two and I swore I read somewhere you can play as a group, but I'm just not sure how the conversations would work lol (roll system still?).

StudioTan

Does anyone know if the Knights of the Fallen Empire story quests are playable as a group? Wanna play with a buddy or two and I swore I read somewhere you can play as a group, but I'm just not sure how the conversations would work lol (roll system still?).

You can be in a group but only 1 of you is playing the story, the other is a spectator like someone coming along on your class quest. Although I think I read that when you enter instances it asks if you want to go into separate ones.

I lost almost 3 planets worth of mission progress on one of my characters with this patch. When I logged out a few days ago with this character I was almost through the Alderaan class missions and now after the patch it shows I am on a mission on Nar Shaddaa.

I even still have the companion you pick up on Tatooine.

You sure it didn't just send you on another mission there? Sometimes you backtrack to lower planets.

Kadin

19th was the date to be subbed to qualify for it. You should get it today in the mail if you have early access or next Tuesday (27th) if you didn't qualify.

As to the group stuff, you can both go through them together but only one will get credit each time. Make sure you both have the options set to allow access to your story with the same class. It's a setting in Preferences. Just have to do each mission twice or each go into their own. The latter way is quicker usually but then you're never really playing together much.

Moff

So my game seemed to have fully patched but I can't log on to any of my characters (despite playing on them fine last night) because the world they are on isn't downloaded.

What the fuck?

edit: rebooting my PC fixed it. Weird bug.
huh, I had that too yesterday evening.
I hope it works again today.

Paganmoon

Solo flashpoints are great, now, if only they'd add an option to hide all other players from your game, I'd totally love this, it'd almost be the KotOR3 they promised.

Repo Man

Not sure how companion dialogue options/missions triggered in the past but it seems as if they've changed them now as I had a whole ton of companion dialogue to plow through in my ship that I didn't see being there the other day and by the time I had finished I had gained almost a level and a half. Not exactly how envisioned to go from 49 to 50 but I'll take it.

Now that I'm 50 I'm wondering what my next port of call should be, should I finish off the class story on Corellia ? Is Ilum worth a visit and is there a good storyline to play through or should I dive straight into Makeb ? Can't believe I played this non-stop at launch and now I feel like an utter noob, feels cool to experience stuff for the first time again.

Paganmoon

Not sure how companion dialogue options/missions triggered in the past but it seems as if they've changed them now as I had a whole ton of companion dialogue to plow through in my ship that I didn't see being there the other day and by the time I had finished I had gained almost a level and a half. Not exactly how envisioned to go from 49 to 50 but I'll take it.

Now that I'm 50 I'm wondering what my next port of call should be, should I finish off the class story on Corellia ? Is Ilum worth a visit and is there a good storyline to play through or should I dive straight into Makeb ? Can't believe I played this non-stop at launch and now I feel like an utter noob, feels cool to experience stuff for the first time again.

Companion dialog/storys are no longer tied to affection, but your progress in your class story mission. So, you're going to have quite a bit of dialog and story to go through on your companions, considering you're level 50 and probably finished with your class quest.

Was a smart change as well, as I imagine some companions weren't as popular as others and people ignored them completely.

Also, I played at launch got 2 characters to 50 and finished class storylines then dropped the game completely. When I came back (about 2 weeks ago) I went straight to Makeb, and skipped Illum and the other side activities. There's enough content on Makeb to keep you going for a while I'd say, and then Shadow of Revan after that. No idea how the story is on Illum, but I'd imagine there's more "meat" in the expansion storylines.

Been playing for about 2 weeks now, and starting to feel less like a noob now, but still feels a bit awkward with the abilities, not sure if I'm using the right "rotations" or even abilities, and the guides are just way too complicated. But good thing is, with the changes, and solo flashpoints and all, it's not that hard.

Top Bottom